Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Creative DISigns
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #1066
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

Oh! And I use Soda Ash also- and soak the shirts in it (one cup of ash per gallon of water) for 20 min before I dye them.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #1067
alicia080979
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker_ View Post
Oh! And I use Soda Ash also- and soak the shirts in it (one cup of ash per gallon of water) for 20 min before I dye them.
I love your tanks!!! How are you banding them to get the circle? I've never tie dyed before but I'm thinking you just go from the MH, lift up and band circles the rest of the way down? If mine turn out half as good as yours I'll be pumped!
alicia080979 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #1068
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

Alicia, that's exactly right! I usually do a Mickey head on each side, and then lift each side and band down. I usually dont band all of the way to the bottom, just until I hit the seams of the sides of the shirts. Then I just squite the dye on the bottom part. I have done the spiral design before as well, but for me, the circles are a much easier method! Just be sure you make your bands super tight, especially around the Mickey Shapes!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #1069
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Tinker, I just wanted to chime in and say I, too, love your tanks! They come out great. We've just tried the dyeing process on our first set of tees (for DH and DS) and a tank for myself, and I'm so nervous!
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #1070
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much, you guys are all too sweet! I hope they come out awesome! Waiting is the WORST part! lol
Old 06-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #1071
TarzansKat

Quote:
Thank you so much, you guys are all too sweet! I hope they come out awesome! Waiting is the WORST part! lol
Waiting was definitely the worst part!

When they've come out of the wash, I'll post pictures for you all. I can tell that we didn't band the border between the Mickey head and the rest of the shirt tight enough, because the color did bleed through. I made one for myself, one for DH, and one for DS, and they're varying degrees of recognizable in the way of Mickey. But that's okay, I've read on here about the bleach pen trick, so we could see how that goes.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #1072
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

The bleach tip works great! I always do little lines radiating from the Mickey head, so it still looks like it is part of the dye, but a lot of people just do an outline and it looks good to (my hands just are NOT that steady! lol)

I dont know what template everyone is using, so I thought I would share mine!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM   #1073
TarzansKat

Quote:
The bleach tip works great! I always do little lines radiating from the Mickey head, so it still looks like it is part of the dye, but a lot of people just do an outline and it looks good to (my hands just are NOT that steady! lol)

I dont know what template everyone is using, so I thought I would share mine!
I'm in the process of working my way through the whole thread. So far...I'm on page seventeen. I'll have to go back and see how many examples I can find of the bleach pen. I know there were a few in what I've already seen, and I'll have to see how they look when they come out of the wash.

How many times do you usually wash them? I'm on my second round and the water looked pretty clear to me.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #1074
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

Just once! I rinse really good under the faucet, then throw them in the washer! I just make sure the first few times I wash them (or my customers wash them) I do the seperately. I also wash them BEFORE I dye them- this is supposed to help get rid of any excess dirt or softener on the shirt before you dye them. They say you should not use softener when you do that pre step though, bc it makes your colors more faded. I want to see pics when you are done!! I am sure you will make them great!

Oh, another option, at least for yours, is to use rhinestones or glitter around the Mickey shape!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #1075
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

PS- I think our "boyfriends" (see my avatar) may know each other! hahahahaha!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:06 PM   #1076
TarzansKat

Quote:
Just once! I rinse really good under the faucet, then throw them in the washer! I just make sure the first few times I wash them (or my customers wash them) I do the seperately. I also wash them BEFORE I dye them- this is supposed to help get rid of any excess dirt or softener on the shirt before you dye them. They say you should not use softener when you do that pre step though, bc it makes your colors more faded. I want to see pics when you are done!! I am sure you will make them great!

Oh, another option, at least for yours, is to use rhinestones or glitter around the Mickey shape!
I did wash mine before hand, because I always like to wash/shrink a shirt before I do anything to it, whether it's tie dye or the iron on transfers. I like to dabble, what can I say. I'm going to go throw them in the dryer now, because I just heard the washer stop. I will definitely post pics as soon as they're dry and then figure out which ones need the bleach pen.

Quote:
PS- I think our "boyfriends" (see my avatar) may know each other! hahahahaha!

The first time I saw your avatar, I thought...how did she...oh wait...that's a cut out.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #1077
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

Cut out? What do you mean- he is locked in my closet hehehe.

Cant wait to see pics!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #1078
TarzansKat

Quote:
Cut out? What do you mean- he is locked in my closet hehehe.
Along with copious amounts of rum?
Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 PM   #1079
Tinker_
DIS Veteran

Old 07-01-2009, 12:07 PM   #1080
irish dancer
DIS Veteran

I know I'm late in getting these posted but I made them literally right before we left on our trip June 12th so here goes:

Here are my girls in their tanks with Tinkerbelle:

They were really fun to make and I'm sure we'll do it again. Our next trip will probably be in 2010 around the holidays so maybe green/red combo.
irish dancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: