Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Creative DISigns
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #31
jordancej
Howdy from the Great State of Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiesky
....extra advice!!

My tip is wait.... wait... wait... and wait some more for the dye to set. This shirt pictured earlier of mine would of turned out so much darker... but i just couldnt wait!!!

Also the other thing i did to my shirt to make my mickey head come out a little stronger, is that i got the bleach pin and a paint brush... after i dyed my shirt, i redrew my mickey head back on, and then painted on the bleach. I would sqeeze the bleach out on a plate and then work from the plate like an artist palatte. Be very careful with this stuff, cause it can ruin your shirt, you only need a little bit of bleach on you brush and on the shirt for it to work.

Have Fun!!
2004 - December - POFQ / 2005 - December - POFQ / 2006 - October - POP - 1st Solo Trip!! / 2008 - May - POP - Celebrated 40th B-Day! - 2nd Solo Trip! / 2008 - Dec - POP - 3rd Solo Trip! / 2009 - May - POP - B-Day Trip - 4th Solo Trip! / 2009 - Sept - All-Star Sports 5th Solo Trip! / 2010 - May B-Day Trip! - Pop - 6th Solo Trip! / 2011 - Mom & Daughter Trip! - POFQ! / 2011 - D23 Magic & Merriment Dec Trip with Best Friend! - POP / 2012 - Sister & Niece Trip! - POFQ! / 2012 - Planning B-day Trip in May! - POFQ!

jordancej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #32
celiesky
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for that great advice. I would never have thought of using bleach. Great idea!!
-Cassie
celiesky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #33
ppony
Artist in residence

My first time doing this dying. I'm an artist but my mediums are oils and pastels, not fabric dye. So I was nervous. My tip would be that instructions say to use a lot of dye. "If it's not dripping dye, you're not using enough" is what I read. Do that, but be careful around the Mickey head and don't saturate it as much and try to keep the other dies further away from the head if you can. It's tough though. These still look okay I think. We'll wear them.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #34
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Wow! What a great thread! Thanks so much to all of you for your help. I just did two shirts, for my neices. Going to let them sit overnight and see how they look, then do 5 for DH,me, and our 3 boys. I am so excited to see how they turn out!
Katy
Katy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #35
roadtripper
DIS Veteran

Thank you thank you, MNRMommy, and all posters for the great advice re: the spiral Mickey Ts. My DD12 and I actually made 8 of them for our upcoming trip-- at less than 5 dollars a shirt (not including labor of course-- I haven't done that much sewing since--well, never!) I will try to post pics when they're dry, but they came out GREAT!
I just wanted to add the following advice before I forget:

We bought the Rainbow Rock Tie dye kit at Michaels-- 19.99-40% off coupon=12.00 It worked great, but the box said it would do 16 "projects"-- we did 3 small children's Ts and 5 adult large, but probably could have done 2 or 3 more adult shirts only-- we really soaked them in dye, which is what we wanted. The colors were nice and bright--fuchsia, yellow, turquoise, purple, green.
Mickey heads came out really well in purple and pink-- yellow and green seemed a little faded, and tended to bleed more.
We let them sit overnight-- really vibrant colors!
Make sure you rinse the shirts well in warm water while they are still bound up, to prevent bleeding into the white area (missed that instruction in the tie dye booklet!)
The rainbow colors are a lot easier to do than I thought-- just follow the instructions in the booklet.
I thought it was really cool how the dental floss stitching just kind of released-- I was afraid I would have to unsew the Mickey head, but it kind of popped open when the rubber bands came off--
Anyway, thanks again for making it possible for this craft-challenged mom to make something that everyone is excited to wear!

roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #36
five_lil_monkeys
Mouseketeer

Oh yes, please post pics. I am sooooo nervous about doing these!!!! I have no talent in sewing at all and am one of those hands on type of people. I asked some of the moms on my local moms board, but none of them wanted to give it a try for me.......sigh! I really want to make these but the whole sewing of the mickey head with dental floss seems hard?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #37
Shriva
Mouseketeer

The sewing isn't hard at all.. you don't have to be perfect with it or anything..

I also want to do a video on this, just have to find the time to get around to do it!

Shriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #38
shellynn24
DIS Veteran

I'm subbing to this thread so I don't lose it. I love the easy to follow, visual directions. The kids and I are going to go pick up kits today!! Thank you posting this

Lotsa offsite trips as a child~'00 Offsite- First trip alone as an adult~'02 DS's First Trip CR ~'03 ASMu~'05 DD's first trip POR ~'07 Baby DD's first trip BWV ~'10 We finally get to go back!'11 Kids Free Vacation
shellynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:28 PM   #39
CrazedDisFan
Let's just say there were few words spoken and no meals cooked for quite some time.

Okay, I've got a couple questions. We are dying the shirts tonight. I finally got them all (4) sewn.

Can I wash the shirts on cold? I am concerned about shirinking, especially with dh's shirt.

Can I wash more than one at a time? I will be rinsing them out in the sink like suggested above before washing them.

Thanks so much for the visuals. I was truly confuzzled by the written directions.
CrazedDisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 03:06 PM   #40
LITTLEKID58
Platinum Castaway

Thank you so much for detail instruction on how to do this.. I have subscribe to this tread also...

Liz
Old 02-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #41
jjatwdw
DIS Veteran

Just want to make sure I don't lose this thread. BTW, Michaels has Jerzee t-shirts on sale this week. Two for five dollars I believe.

DISNEY MAGIC!
Disneyland - dozens of times - 1967-2004
WDW - June, 2005 FWC & DCL - 4-night Wonder
WDW - May, 2006 OKW & DCL - 7-night Magic
WDW - May, 2007 OKW
WDW - May, 2010 OKW

WDW - May, 2011 OKW

jjatwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #42
JnEsWDWMom
I'm just happy to be here!
I wish life had a refresh button!

Saving this one so I can show DH!! They look great!!

POR 2002*POR 2003*POP March 2004* POP June 2004*POP Oct. 2004*POFQ Dec. 2004* POFQ Feb. 2005*POFQ May 2005*POFQ Dec 2005* POR May 2006 *AKL Aug 2006*POP Nov 2006*
Next up: 10 days at POFQ
JnEsWDWMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #43
Twingle
DIS Veteran

Just bumping because I thought the step by step instructions were A*W*E*S*O*M*E!

Also, love, love, LOVE the rhinestone outline on the Mickey head AND the fantabulos tip about using bleach to go back around the Mickey head!

Thanks so much for sharing - if I can figure out how to post pics, I'll share mine once we do them!

Avatar compliments of Mr. DiRTy BuNNy, who created it when I informed him that I didn't have an avatar because I couldn't find one that was "me".
Twingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #44
DizneeMommy
DIS Veteran

Just making sure I will be able to find this thread! i'll need it over Spring Break when my kids and I make our shirts! Good grief--thanks to all you creative folks, I've got more shirt ideas than we will have days to wear them!!

DizneeMommy DH DD12 DS16:
Kids' First Trip: June 2007 @ POP!!!
June 2009 & July 2011 @ POP!!!
Next Trip: June 2014
DizneeMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM   #45
roadtripper
DIS Veteran

This is a followup to an earlier post of mine-- I promised to put up pics, so here are a few. If you have any questions, please PM me, since I don't check this board often! Good luck with your projects-- if I can do it, anyone can, thanks to all the good tips here on the DIS
OK, so here's what it looks like when you're applying the dye--notice how soaked the thing is!

Try as I may, I cannot make this pic bigger, but you get the idea. I was really happy with the way they turned out!

roadtripper is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: