Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

A Mousekafreak and her DH do the World! ~*~COMPLETE 8-31~*~

A Mousekafreak and her DH do the World!

Alright, I’ve been back for a little over 2 months and am finally getting to the trip report I promised forever ago! Bear with me, it will probably be slow going! Enjoy!

Cast of Characters:
Lin (me)- Obsessive Disney Freak, nicknamed Mousekafreak by my best friend. Constantly trying to convince DH we need to go back to WDW. Find my “Happy Place” as soon as the plane takes off. Disney Store Assistant Manager.
Chris (DH)- Sweetest guy on earth. Loves WDW but wonders if we will ever take “a real vacation.” Turns into a 10 year old as soon as we get to the parks. Sound and Lighting Technician and Designer.
Carmen- My best friend from college. Lives in Northern Florida and drove down for a whirlwind trip with her DH. Not much of a Disney person but I’ll let it pass. College Theatre Professor.
Chuck- Carmens DH and also a friend from college. Chuck turns into a little kid as soon as he arrives and loves Alice in Wonderland. High School Theatre Teacher.

Time:
June 8th-June 15th, 2006.

Synopsis:
Our magical 6 day, 7 night magical vacation at Old Key West. Full of fun, energy and childlike excitement…and a little bit of emotion!

First Installment to Begin Momentarily!

Last edited by Linzybrooke; 08-31-2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Completed Report
Old 08-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Catrin
Taking my Kids - one kid at a time!

Looking forward to your trip!

I too am a Disney Freak, with a DH who just goes along for the ride!

Catrin
All Star Sports 03
PORT ORLEANS JUNE 05! One on One Trip with Oldest Son
Polynesian - 40th Bday.... 9/06!
Wilderness Lodge - Nov 07
Pop Century - January '10 - One on One Trip with Middle Son
Port Orleans - August '11 - Three days with all three kids before our cruise!
Pop Century- February '13 - Girls Only Birthday Trip with Daughter!
Pop Century AGAIN - December '14 - Mom and Daughter Christmas Trip!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

Act One:
Scene One:

I took the 8th off of work so that I could prepare for our trip…by prepare I mean spend 5 hours on the Dis before heading to my parents house to drop off the dogs and then drive with my mom to pick up Chris and head to the airport. All went as planned, I packed and repacked several times, posted numerous silly posts on the countdown board, re-read my Birnbaums guide, packed up all the dog stuff and headed to moms. We picked up Chris without incident and got to airport in plenty of time. I reread the Birnbaums guide again waiting to board the plane and then slept the entire flight. Pretty uneventful.

Once we deplaned in Orlando we made our way to Magical Express…but wait, where was Magical Express…we hadn’t calculated that since our flight arrived rather late in the evening there wouldn’t be cast members with Mickey hands telling us which way to go. After two wrong turns in the airport we finally asked someone and got down to the check-in with no more interruptions. We waited in line for a few minutes before getting on the bus headed to the resort. Our busdriver had the personality of a muddy sock…but I was at the world! He turned on the DVD about 10 minutes after we left MCO and I soaked it up like a sponge just enjoying the shots of the world.

We finally got to OKW after stopping at POR and POFQ and checked in without a hitch. The welcome cast member was sweet and informative and all of our room requests had been granted, we had a room right across from the main pool and hospitality house on the first floor, YES! We stopped in the store and bought some milk, cereal, juice and cheetos before walking the short jaunt to our “home.” We unpacked our carry-on and sat down to wait on our luggage…and wait…and wait…and wait… At 12:45 AM Chris calls the front desk to find out what the deal is, we are told the luggage has arrived and been delivered but they will check to make sure it wasn’t missed. They call back at 1:15, “We found your luggage, it will be at your room shortl!” At 2:00 it finally shows up. I love Magical Express but learned that if you get there late be prepared to stay up all night waiting for it to arrive in your room. Oh well! It’s been a long day and all I want to do is get into bed and wake up ready for a day at MGM!

Old 08-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

Act Two:
Scene One:

I woke up at about 6:00 AM and promptly turned on the TV to check out all the theme park channels…I was quickly reminded of how annoying that girl who does the WDW countdown was, YESH! Checked all the parade times, checked the guide I picked up the night before and finally got Chris up when I could stand it no longer. We got ready, ate breakfast and headed to the bus stop right behind our room.

Once at MGM I hit the first snag of the trip. Being a Disney Store ASM I get a Purple Pass, basically it gets me and my party in for free and is the only reason we have been able to take a trip the last three years in a row. I take it to Guest Relations as I did the last two years and they send me to the Ticketing counter, I go to Ticketing, they send me back to Guest Relations, Guest Relations sends me back to Ticketing, who then sends me to the Cast Member Entrance. Weird. I tell the CM at the entrance that we have friends meeting us around 4:00 and what will we need to do to get their tickets. She tells me that they won’t be able to get in since they aren’t there now. I had thought this would be the case and so I had asked at the resort when we got in if I would be able to leave the park, take them to Guest Relations, get their tickets and then get in and was told no problem, it turns out they were wrong. The CM at the entrance was really great and told me to go back to Guest Relations and talk to the manager about the situation since I was told incorrectly at check-in. It took about 10 minutes for him to get it worked out, but he told me that we should never take ticketing information from the resorts because they don’t really understand what they are talking about…but, he told us to come to him when our friends arrived and he would get them in with complimentary tickets for the day so we wouldn’t have to waste our MGM day waiting for them. Thanks Jon! So, after almost 30 minutes of going back and forth we were finally through the stanchion and officially inside MGM! Chris didn’t mind waiting, there were storm troopers on the rooftops for Star Wars Weekend.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #5
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

Act Two:
Scene Two:

We headed straight to ToT for Fast Passes and then to Rockin’ Roller Coaster. I’m a ride wuss, and therefore DH gets 2 Fast Passes for everything since I don’t ride them. ToT had a short standby wait so DH rode that while I shopped. From there we headed towards Voyage of the Little Mermaid to check times, shop and go through the Animation Building. Then we rode the Great Movie Ride and went to wait in line to meet Jedi Mickey (he’s my favorite).

By now it was time for our 11:30 ADR at 50’s Prime Time. Our server wasn’t too enthusiastic but overall the experience was good. We ate so much food! Being on Dining Plan we had a Shrimp Cocktail appetizer and Fried Herb Cheese for appetizer and they were both excellent. I think that DH had a Salad with Salmon for lunch and I had Pot Roast…I think, and then we had the Dad’s Sunday and Strawberry Shortcake for dessert. I’ll be honest, we eat there for the Dad’s Sunday and it never disappoints. I believe it is off the menu but they make it if you ask!

After lunch we went and “met” Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater on Streets of America and then went to take in Lights, Motors, Action. DH loved that show, it was right up his alley. I like it all right but I prefer the Backlot Tour and am a little testy that they cut so much out of it to put in the theatre for LMA. But, since Chris loved it so much I can’t complain! Following the show Chris went back to ToT and RR to get more fast passes and I shopped the Christmas Shop and the Muppet Shop. He met me just in time to take in Muppets 3-D (didn’t it used to be Muppets 4-D?) and we got in just in time to skip the preshow, YES! I love Muppets 3-D, its my second favorite attraction at MGM. Then we took in Voyage of the Little Mermaid, my favorite attraction at MGM. When we got out of VoLM we had a voicemail from Carmen and Chuck saying they had just arrived at OKW and were about to head over to MGM, so we went to the Narnia walkthrough (bleck) before meeting them outside the entrance.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

Act Two:
Scene Three:

Remember our friend Jon from Guest Relations earlier in the day? Turns out he was on break when we got back to see him, but the girl there called him and got us the tickets about 10 minutes later, so, as Kim Possible would say it was no big. We had just enough time for Chris, Carmen and Chuck to ride RR and ToT before our 6:30 ADR at Mama Melrose. Mama Melrose was a new experience for us and it was great. We had Calamari and Tomatoes and Basil for appetizers, both excellent. I can’t remember our entrees, this seems to be a trend, but we had Happiest Celebration on Earth dessert and the Tiramisu and both were great. The coffee flavored ice cream in the Happiest Celebration dessert was to die for! We hadn’t seen Carmen and Chuck in a couple of years so it was a great time to get to catch up with each other.

After dinner we went through the One Man’s Dream walkthrough. This attraction is amazing and the four of us all have backgrounds in theatre. Carmen and I design scenery and paint, Chuck directs and works in Carpentry and Chris is a sound and lighting technician and stage manager. So, the models and design process pieces on display are incredible. If anyone skips this attraction you are really missing out! Then the three of them rode ToT and RR again while I read the Pirates of the Caribbean book in the villains store before catching Fantasmic.

View from ToT

Fantasmic was empty! We went to the 10:00 performance and say 4th row center only 10 minutes before it began. Here is my Disney gripe of the day…I hate all those things that light up. I don’t hate them all the time, but I hate them when the kids in front of me insist on using them through the entire performance. They are really distracting and very hard to see around since they move. They also prevent you from taking pretty much any pictures (without flash of course) of the show. I don’t mind them before or after the show, in line for rides, walking down the streets, etc, but please turn them off during the performance of Fantasmic for the sanity of those around you. Okay, now off my soapbox about light up thingies. Either way, Fantasmic is my favorite thing of all at MGM and I would watch it over and over again if I could! Really.

And that was the end of our first full day at the World. It was pretty near perfect! Next stop, Magic Kingdom!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

Cool TR, keep it coming!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Old 08-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
cxcelica
Mouseketeer

One of the better trip reports I have read in a while. Keep it coming!!
Old 08-23-2006, 03:18 PM   #9
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxcelica
One of the better trip reports I have read in a while. Keep it coming!!
Ah, thanks! This is my first attempt at a Trip Report so I appreciate the ego boost! I'll have more later today. My goal is to have it all done within a week.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

Wow - great report - very fun to read and loved the ToT pic! You have my dream job - would love to work for anything involving Disney!!

Can't wait for more!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
Old 08-23-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
tinkerbell87512
I would love to hear all about these secrets!

Im loving the report!!! I can not wait to read more!

PS. your so lucky, I would love to be a manager at the disney store! how exciting! you must love it! (i know i would!)

June 1992 August 2000 February 2002 July 2004 July 2005 June 2006 July 2007 October 2007 May 2008 & DCL November 2008 May 2009 Sept/Oct 2010 & DCL November 2011 August 2013 October 2013 Tower of Terror 10 Miler!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
BeautyNBeast
Mouseketeer

Loving your TR! Cannot wait to read more

March 2003: Engaged at MK-offsite
December 2004: Vacation at WDW-offsite
December 2005: Honeymoon at WDW-POFQ
May 2006: Pop Century
Dec 2006:Trip with the inlaws-SSR
April 2007:Spring trip at BWV
October 2007: MNSSHP at OKW
December 2007: Christmas at SSR
October 2008: OKW
December 2008: Christmas at SSR
December 2009: Christmas at SSR
Old 08-23-2006, 10:54 PM   #13
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

Act Three:
Scene One:

Admit it, we all have that one place that makes us completely glow inside. Everything is perfect and nothing can dampen the mood and the spirit and the complete and total perfection of where we are and how we feel. For me, and I am sure many of you, it’s The Magic Kingdom. I cry every time it comes into view, every time I walk through under the train station and every time I see my first glance of Cinderella’s Castle after coming through the Berm. I then tear up throughout the day for no other reason than that I am there, and loving it! This plaque, which I am embarrassed to say I just noticed this trip, pretty much says it all.

Anyway, being able to share it with my bubby and two of our best friends just made it even more magical, but I tried to contain myself. Carmen is a bit of a cynic and I felt a little embarrassed to be so emotional around her, luckily Chuck turned into a child and made it all better. This was an interesting day at Magic Kingdom. There was a forest fire somewhere in the vicinity and the park was shrouded in thick, eye burning smoke for most of the morning. While it did burn it also kept the crowds to a minimum, which is always a plus at Magic Kingdom.

We had decided the night before that our first stop would be Tomorrowland so they could ride Space Mountain. We headed over for fast passes and then walked right onto Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, which I totally kicked butt on! I usually lose, bad, I’m the girl who gets stuck with the gun that doesn’t work…but not this time! I beat my poor Chris, and I beat him bad! Hehehe…it rocked. And after laughing at our photos because we all looked very, very serious we made our way back to Space Mountain so they could use their fast passes, only to find Space Mountain shut down. Oh well, we headed to Astro Orbiter and after somehow managing to fit 2 adults and a backpack into 2 little rockets we were off and enjoying some of the greatest views of Magic Kingdom to be had. Seriously, what you can see from this ride is amazing; if you can stand the wind whipping your hair repeatedly in your face and a fear that you might just fall out of the space shuttle if you weren’t wedged in so tightly you don’t think you will ever get out… Once the ride was finished it probably took Chris and I 5 minutes to wiggle out of the ride, well probably not but it sure felt like it…it is so not built for 2 adults! We needed a giant shoe horn and none was too be found! Beware exiting the Astro Orbiter, I would not recommend riding if you are wearing a skirt!

So, now back to Space Mountain, which is now operating. I headed to the arcade in the shop to kill some Jurassic Dino’s on the only video game I enjoy only to find it occupied…so off to shop until they finish up on Space Mountain and then off to Fantasyland! Yippee!!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
Linzybrooke
DIS Veteran

Since I promised! But now I am off to bed. Hopefully I'll be able to knock out another installment in the AM before work.

Yes, I do love my job. I started working at TDS right after I turned 18...I just turned 25 and am still there, now in my 6th store in my second state. Every once in a while I contemplate leaving to find something else, but its so exciting to see the looks on little kids faces when the Halloween costumes come in, or the swim suits, or the Christmas stuff, its just incredible! Eventually I do want to move to the Orlando area and actually work at the Parks, but for now this will hold me over!

Thanks again for reading!!
Old 08-23-2006, 11:17 PM   #15
MousekaMaddi
DIS Veteran

placques

the placque u loved, its new...LOL, from what I hear...they added them when the stroller /locker rehab happened recently.

GRRRREAT trippie! keep on !!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: