Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #1
wildfan1473
DIS Veteran

Walk from offsite to onsite hotel bus?

Maybe I'm totally off-base here - I am staying at the Days Hotel on Black Lake road, by Animal Kingdom. Would it be possible to walk to AKL, then hop on the internal bus system?
wildfan1473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #2
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I would say no. There are no sidewalks, and Disney hugely frowns on people walking on the road, with no sidewalks. Besides, it's going to be a pretty hefty walk I would think.
You may want to look into a rental car if your hotel doesn't offer decent service to the parks.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
hearts8701
DIS Veteran

the walk is far no sidewalks and heavy traffic area at night it is very dark not to mention the buses are for resort guest use
Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
wildfan1473
DIS Veteran

I didn't think so. I don't mind the couple mile walk, but I have no idea what the area is like, and no sidewalks kind of make it an issue.

I have another question about the busses though - if it is for resort guests only, does that mean I can't use the bus (or monorail or boat) if I am at a resort restaurant and want to go to a park (or vice versa)? Do I have to drive my car everywhere?
Old 10-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #5
pamjb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearts8701 View Post
the walk is far no sidewalks and heavy traffic area at night it is very dark not to mention the buses are for resort guest use

The buses are for the use of any guest is that is on property. Meaning, offsite guests can use a bus to get to any Disney park or resort.

I can't help you with the walking part.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
pamjb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfan1473 View Post
I didn't think so. I don't mind the couple mile walk, but I have no idea what the area is like, and no sidewalks kind of make it an issue.

I have another question about the busses though - if it is for resort guests only, does that mean I can't use the bus (or monorail or boat) if I am at a resort restaurant and want to go to a park (or vice versa)? Do I have to drive my car everywhere?

You may certainly use the buses, monorail, or boats to get anywhere on property. You will only have to use your car to get to Disney property (ie: the Ticket and Transportation Center, or the parking lots of Epcot, Hollywood Studios, or Animal Kingdom)
Old 10-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Technically, anyone can use any WDW transportation. That means the resort buses, the monorail, the boats...whatever. It is a rare occasion that a bus driver would check for resort ID before allowing someone on a bus.

But, still...walking down a busy road, with no sidewalks, is a supremely bad idea. It is something Disney does not want people doing.
While I can understand your wanting to get to a resort in order to be able to get to a park easily, that is really a perk of staying on-site. That's why so many stay on-site and spend more for their rooms. And, it's one reason those off-site places can charge so much less for a room...they do not have great transportation to the parks.

Again, I would not recommend trying this. Way too dangerous. Don't forget....although you are in DisneyWorld, bad things still happen. Walking down a busy roadway, by yourself, opens you up to all sorts of 'stuff'. Don't do it.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
wildfan1473
DIS Veteran

Thanks all for the advice. A rental car it is. I would much prefer to stay on property, but I cannot get a room in my price range the first 2 nights I'm there, and since I'm leaving early in the morning after the 4th night, it doesn't make much sense to switch hotels for the other 2 nights, it would only benefit me for 1 day.

Thanks again!
Old 10-24-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfan1473 View Post
Thanks all for the advice. A rental car it is. I would much prefer to stay on property, but I cannot get a room in my price range the first 2 nights I'm there, and since I'm leaving early in the morning after the 4th night, it doesn't make much sense to switch hotels for the other 2 nights, it would only benefit me for 1 day.

Thanks again!
Thanks!!! Now I can rest easier....I hate worrying about fellow DISers!! A rental car will be a great thing..you'll see!!
Old 10-24-2008, 03:03 PM   #10
poohbear7
DIS Veteran

I'm glad you decided to rent a car. You would of had to show photo ID and a room key for the guard at the the entrance to let you by.

I've been BOOed
poohbear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
john398
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear7 View Post
I'm glad you decided to rent a car. You would of had to show photo ID and a room key for the guard at the the entrance to let you by.
Huh? I thought off site guest can visit any resort, is that not true
john398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #12
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

No, anyone can visit. But, the folks in the guard shack might take a special interest in someone walking in.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #13
poohbear7
DIS Veteran

If you take a bus in it would drop you off at the bus stop and you could take another bus to where you want to go. If you walk in or drive in even in a taxi the guard asks for id and what is the reason for your visit.

I've been BOOed
poohbear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
john398
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear7 View Post
If you take a bus in it would drop you off at the bus stop and you could take another bus to where you want to go. If you walk in or drive in even in a taxi the guard asks for id and what is the reason for your visit.
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification....makes sense
john398 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #15
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

Quote:
If you walk in or drive in even in a taxi the guard asks for id and what is the reason for your visit.
I've been asked why I was visiting---usually either to check in or for dining. I can't recall being asked for ID.
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: