Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #91
cdpa4d
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA
Let me guess....

SOME of you whining about the discounts are the SAME ones making a SCENE at the park by telling the CMs YOU DESERVE SPECIAL TREATEMENT BECAUSE YOU OWN AN AP!!!! (Ever hear CM stories, do you know what they think of AP holders??? It's NOT pretty and this sense of "Disney should treat me better" is why.... )

I have had an AP for years, the ONLY "special" treatment I have seen "advertised" are things like the sneak previews and the opportunity to spend money on merchandise (LOL!) EVERYTHING else is available to EVERYONE in the parks. Even Discounts on rooms are offered to "other" groups (FL Residents, General Public, Disney Visa cardholders etc)

If you walk around Disney acting like some of you are on here with your sense of "I should be treated BETTER then others" no wonder you don't feel the magic....
I don't think people are whining about special treatment because they own an AP. I think people are whining for special treatment because of the cost of the vacation.

If Disney wants to keep raising there prices, then fine, I'm ok with that. But, in the same token they better be raising there standards as well. This means rides and attractions better be functioning more often, Cast Members should go the extra mile, etc.

Rising costs to the consumer are fine, but now I think visitors to WDW are going to expect more and be less tolerable to error.

4/94 Beach Club, Honeymoon Trip, 4/95 Vistana Resort, 4/96 Swan, 4/97 Vistana Resort, 8/97 Dolphin, 4/98 Vistana Resort, 5/99 CSR, 4/00 Vistana Resort/Wilderness Lodge, 5/01 Vistana Resort, 4/02 Contemporary, 10/02 Vistana Resort, 4/03 Vistana Resort/CBR, 4/04 WL, 10/04 AKL, 4/05 Poly, 10/05 Wilderness Lodge, 3/06 AKL-BWV-GF

Coming Soon - Fall Break: Beach Club Resort 10/20/06 - 10/22/06 & Saratoga Springs 2BR 10/22/06 - 10/29/06

Just Call Me ADP

DD6 Starting Spectromagic ParadeGrand Adventures Cooking
cdpa4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:51 PM   #92
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Here is what I think about the WDW Annual Pass.

As long as I continue to go to WDW as much as I do, I will buy the AP.

If I decide to stop going so much, I won't buy one.

Personally that decision isn't going to be based on whether or not I get a room discount. But, I'm a DVC member. I added on points so I could throw in a weekend stay here and there. I was disturbed that I could only book a preferred room at Pop Century so I called DVC this afternoon and booked into Old Key West. Problem solved.

I miss some of the resorts, though. I miss Pop Century. I want to stay there sometime, just not that particular trip.
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2006, 08:00 AM   #93
WDWisTheBest
This is better than plan one
I hope the clean up efforts are swift

This is a very interesting thread. Thanks to all for the fun reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA
Let me guess....

SOME of you whining about the discounts are the SAME ones making a SCENE at the park by telling the CMs YOU DESERVE SPECIAL TREATEMENT BECAUSE YOU OWN AN AP!!!! (Ever hear CM stories, do you know what they think of AP holders??? It's NOT pretty and this sense of "Disney should treat me better" is why.... )

I have had an AP for years, the ONLY "special" treatment I have seen "advertised" are things like the sneak previews and the opportunity to spend money on merchandise (LOL!) EVERYTHING else is available to EVERYONE in the parks. Even Discounts on rooms are offered to "other" groups (FL Residents, General Public, Disney Visa cardholders etc)

If you walk around Disney acting like some of you are on here with your sense of "I should be treated BETTER then others" no wonder you don't feel the magic....
This thread, so far, has been a great study in the emotions that people bring with them into the whole WDW experience. I agree with your thoughts, Carol.

I too have had the AP for years. I must admit that the first year I was an AP purchaser, I thought I was special. But, I NEVER thought that I should be treated better than anyone else who was in the park that day just because I was a AP holder.

My family will be visiting in late October and I too did the math, just as all of us do, about "codes" versus "AAA" versus AP. Unless I am mistaken after talking with the folks at CRO a few times, the AAA rate is about the same as codes and AP for value resorts. Does anyone disagree? If so, why?

Now, with this in mind, we WILL have a great time visiting once again. Not because of "AP" or "codes" or "AAA" but because it will be great to visit together.

Does Walt Disney World "owe" me anything just because I am an AP holder? I don't think so. Should I be courteous to Cast Members? I think I should. Should CM be courteous to me? I think so. Should courtesy be dependent on whether I am an AP holder? I don't think so.

Again, thanks to all on this thread for some entertaining and thought-provoking discussion.
WDWisTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #94
DizzyBell
Mouseketeer

Well.... we did get an AP rate!

We did get an AP rate for Thanksgiving! Compared to the past the rates are not as great as they have been but still we did get a rate of $130 per night at CSR (that is without tax of course). We spend every evening in PI so the Premium Annual Pass is something we do get our money out of. I do remember days when AP rates were better but to me it beats paying the standard rate that would normally apply if you did not have an AP. I guess, it depends on how much you want to go and what you are willing to pay. "Mickey" wins this time but with Millionaire gone and prices soaring... who knows if all inclusive vacations might be a possiblity in the future. After all.... we love WDW but as a Passholder the discount should grow stronger over time not weaken! IMHO
91 days and counting till Cap'n Jack!
June 2004 CSR
Thanksgiving 2003 CSR
Easter 2002 CSR
Jan 2002 POFQ
July 2000 CSR
Easter 2000 OKW
May 1999 CSR
July 1998 CSR
Easter 1998 CSR
July 1997 CSR
1974-1996 Offsite
DizzyBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #95
Disney Davo
Got my Ears in 68

Boy this thread really blew up. Frankly I think this one is as bad as the pee in the bed one that was posted on the Resort forum. I'm a Florida resident about 6 hours away from WDW, we are taking our third trip this year. I get my Mickey Monitor every quarter, I think. I feel I've gotten some great discounts and I am pleased with my AP. WDW just sent me an on-line survey and I let them know that discounted price means the difference from statying on Disney property or off sight. The Orlando area has some great hotels and resorts.
Disney Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #96
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

We have traditionally gone to Disney 4-6 times a year. We aren't big park people, so for us, the draw of the AP has been the room discount. I wouldn't even get an AP, if I could get a discount Epcot in the evening ticket. I have AAA, and continue to get email codes, which gave me decent room discounts. Right now, the non expiring tickets will do it for us, over the AP rate, unless I see a really good room discount. I did not renew this year for the first time in years and years, and instead, I cancelled my next Disney trip, and I'm going to Hawaii and CA for two weeks. I suspect, without that AP making me feel I need to get my money worth by going many times to Disney, our trips to FL will dwindle, and we'll continue to see the rest of the US instead. So, in my case, Disney will be making less money, since without the AP, we aren't as inclined to go to Disney. And without the good room discounts, we aren't as inclined to get an AP.

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:18 AM   #97
Markstudy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRick
without that AP making me feel I need to get my money worth by going many times to Disney..

...Disney will be making less money, And without the good room discounts, we aren't as inclined to get an AP.
Disney will make more money if they can shift away from people that are coming mulitiple times to take advantage of their one-time purchase of an AP ticket, and mostly coming when they also get discounts on their rooms.

...if Disney can fill those slots instead with people paying full price for room and tickets.... its a win-win for Disney. Fewer people, paying more money, makes the parks more enjoyable in one way because its less crowded.

But, everything I read, keeps saying that travel demand is up, and Disney is seeing record numbers of bookings.

I don't like when supply & demand work against me either. But this seems to be what's happening

Our Best Photos- Trip report scrapbook link-
http://www.panraven.com/newstoryview...storyId=161914
Jan 2009 - Royal Pacific, Sept 2008 - Poly
Oct 2007 - Yacht Club, Jan 2006 - Beach Club (Honeymoon)
Markstudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 12:29 PM   #98
DMRick
I prefer to be tagless!

I don't buy that. We eat out 3 meals a day, and always buy souviners. I am spending way more at their overpriced restaurants, than they would save on me paying more for the rooms, or the saving by using an AP. We almost always bring guests who also spend money (including on tickets, because I may get them a less expensive room, but they still buy tickets), But I really don't care. I'm glad I decided to go to Hawaii and other vacation spots. It's good to be out of the Disney rut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstudy
Disney will make more money if they can shift away from people that are coming mulitiple times to take advantage of their one-time purchase of an AP ticket, and mostly coming when they also get discounts on their rooms.

...if Disney can fill those slots instead with people paying full price for room and tickets.... its a win-win for Disney..

Please rescue a cat or kitten today! Most shelters are full.
DMRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:15 PM   #99
speedyf

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannonwales
And it's not just about AP holders. 2 ticket increases in one year, a new season for value resorts, changes in the MNSSHP and MVMCP policies to name a few. New CM's just arent as friendly and magic a lot of the time the ominous new DDP list that exclued a LOT of restaurants for 2007.
I agree. I thought the Value Resorts were supposed to be for families that wanted to stay on-site but could not afford to stay at the on-site, higher priced hotels. Well, now....the "Value" Resorts are running $109 per night during the summer.

Again....I understand supply and demand and I'm guessing that demand is up if they can fill 250 sq ft "Value" rooms at $109 and $119 per night.

So....I'll just hope for a discount or maybe hope that they start building sub-value resorts. Maybe 125 sq ft with a community bath at the end of each hall and no swimming pool with an hour bus ride to the parks. Then, when the sub-value resorts gets up to $100 per night....I'll just give up.....lol

Seriously....we will start exploring our off site options because $109 is not "value" to me.

Speed
6/14 VGC ..... 9/13 SSR ..... 6/13 OKW/CBR ..... 2/13 OKW/POP ..... 12/12 BLT/OKW ..... 4/12 AKV/POLY ..... 12/11 AKV/BWV ..... 6/11-POLY/BCV ..... 6/10-BWV ..... 01/10-OKW ..... 10/09-CSR/VWL ..... 6/09-POFQ/BWV ..... 2/08-AS-Sp ..... 5/07-CBR ..... 12/06-AS-Sp/CBR ..... 6/06-POP ..... 6/05-POR ..... 6/04-POP ..... 6/94-Offsite ..... 6/85-Offsite ..... 6/79-THV
speedyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:20 PM   #100
Disney Davo
Got my Ears in 68

I agree with that. If I feel I am getting a great deal on my resort I will spend more in the parks too. One or two meals and bigger souviners for the wife and kids. Believe me with our third trip this year comeing up we have plenty of Disney stuff packing our shelves and curios I could easily say " not this time we already have plenty of Disney stuff". There is nothing stopping use from leaveing the resort grounds to eat out, I don't like doing it but we've done it before becuase of cost savings.
Disney Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #101
Dixie Luvr 98
DIS Veteran

I really don't seee whining in tha majority of posts in this thread. I see people responding to Disney's business decisions.

We didn't renew our passes this year for the first time since 1998. Higher resort prices for AP holders factored into the decision, but weren't the only factor. Disney made a financial decision. We made a financial decision. No anger, no accusations.

In the future WDW may feel the need to court the business of passholders by offering deeper discounts again or they may not. I may miss making multiple trips in a year and relent and purchase AP's again. I may decide, as others have said, that there is a whole vacation world out there that I have been missing.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #102
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Luvr 98
In the future WDW may feel the need to court the business of passholders by offering deeper discounts again or they may not. I may miss making multiple trips in a year and relent and purchase AP's again. I may decide, as others have said, that there is a whole vacation world out there that I have been missing.
---------------------------------
Or you could always do both.. Not every trip has to be to Disney - nor is there a need to purchase an AP if you don't plan on making enough trips that you feel you have gotten your purchase price back in return..

I've been over to the east coast this summer - Salem, MA and Boothbay Harbor, Maine - and if I can ever get my adult DD healthy enough we still want to make that solo trip to Nashville.. While I'm staying in Florida this winter I hope to get over to Texas to visit a friend - as well as visit many areas in Florida well beyond the Orlando area (St. Augustine for one - as well as Panama City on the Gulf coast..) It's a nice change and prevents the feeling of being "Disneyed out"..

Remember, "Variety is the spice of life.."
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #103
dawgsgirl
DIS Veteran

Dare I suggest to just take your money and stay off-site? I had an AP a couple of years ago and took 4 trips to Orlando. Three of those trips were off-site and we had a blast! I know this is the Resorts board, and most of you are on-site die-hards, but money talks in a big way with Disney.
dawgsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #104
Dixie Luvr 98
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Ann
---------------------------------
Or you could always do both.. Not every trip has to be to Disney - nor is there a need to purchase an AP if you don't plan on making enough trips that you feel you have gotten your purchase price back in return..

I've been over to the east coast this summer - Salem, MA and Boothbay Harbor, Maine - and if I can ever get my adult DD healthy enough we still want to make that solo trip to Nashville.. While I'm staying in Florida this winter I hope to get over to Texas to visit a friend - as well as visit many areas in Florida well beyond the Orlando area (St. Augustine for one - as well as Panama City on the Gulf coast..) It's a nice change and prevents the feeling of being "Disneyed out"..

Remember, "Variety is the spice of life.."
Oh, I haven't given up on Disney. Too many memories to do that Just won't be purchasing annual passes in the foreseeable future. With school-aged children and their activities, vacation time is at a premium and with multi-day MYW pricing, I can't justify AP's. A trip to WDW every year or two and time to see some other places sounds good to me right now
Old 08-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #105
tinklvr64
Basin Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdpa4d
I don't think people are whining about special treatment because they own an AP. I think people are whining for special treatment because of the cost of the vacation.

If Disney wants to keep raising there prices, then fine, I'm ok with that. But, in the same token they better be raising there standards as well. This means rides and attractions better be functioning more often, Cast Members should go the extra mile, etc.

Rising costs to the consumer are fine, but now I think visitors to WDW are going to expect more and be less tolerable to error.

I totally agree with "cdpa4d"! Thanks you couldn't have said it better
tinklvr64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: