Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 04:49 PM   #16
EEYOREMAMA
I have the BIGGEST YELLOW streak that lives down my back
Usually pretty ADORABLE and FUNNY

Unfortunately, I have to agree as well. We've been passholders for so long, we practically live there.

We also got excited, thrilled, mega-happy when we saw the new rates. Big crash when we realized we weren't getting any bang for the buck. Call me stupid (don't), but as much as this p.o.'s me (and it does), I will continue to support the bloodsuckers.

I am a Disney girl and my family is a Disney family. Too many past memories and too many future ones to make. I will keep going, but intend to tighten up on the extras when I'm there. I used to love all the goody buying, but now we have to pay for the room.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 PM   #17
cdrn1
what I wouldn't give to have just one more Space Food Stick
Remember the good old days when people just disappeared?
My socks are on inside out!

I got my first AP this year, and I am getting my $$ worth because of the # of trips I have made with it (going for the fourth time this year in Oct) and the reason I got it is because I had two back-to-back trips planned. I was, however, hoping for one of those big discounts I have read about in past years so I was a little disappointed when I called this morning and saved a whoppin' $54 (total for 3-night stay) over my AAA rate that I had at POFQ. WL which I had hoped for was 700+ for a 3-night stay. Oh well. I still got my money's worth but I think this will probably be my one-and-only AP. I will still go yearly but I am hoping to go in Jan/Feb to get a little more mileage out of it!
cdrn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #18
STEPHILL
Mouseketeer

We'll probably start going somewhere's else, too. The U.S. is a big place. There are lots of other vacation options. It's kind of hard to feel the magic when you feel "ripped off". Universal has a much more attractive park option, with the kids play free (200 bucks for a family of four for 5 days compared to Disney's 800 bucks for a family of four for 5 days). Maybe this is what all of us need, a push to explore other options. Who would have thought, my very favorite mouse would push me away. My kids love Disney, but they are completely content in a hotel pool. They don't care if the pool is at disney or timbuktoo.
STEPHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #19
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

I don't know...I'm happy w/my AP disc. for Oct. (2 nights CR MK view...saving $180 off rack, $80 less than AAA rate).

Especially since we got zip of a discount for June trip.

Since it's our 1st year of having an AP, I'm still excited about being able to return to WDW 3 times in 1 year, partly due to not worrying about tix costs. Even though we're DVC, I still enjoy staying @ the resorts for a few days during our trips, we enjoy moving around LOL.

Must admit we do get the DVC disc. on AP too, so I cannot imagine not purchasing it in the future.

Not that i'm complaining but, percs are subject to change...don't think WDW is trying to punish any segment of their guests...moreso that tourism is on the uprise & they are a business.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #20
rhiannonwales
I sometimes stare so much that I see perversion in everything

Keisha,
We seem to keep posting onthe same threads!
I know that WDW is a buisness, and i expect them to make a profit. It just seems that Ap holders are no longer worth cultivating. Combine that with a lot of people saying that WDW just isn't as magic as it used to be, i'm starting to get a little scared.
rhiannonwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #21
New England Eeyore
Bradley Whitford and Rob Lowe are my boyfriends!
You try being a country music fan in Boston - it just ain't done!
M&M Artist Extraodinaire

I'm very disappointed. I was debating buying an AP because I have two trips planned that would require a 3 day ticket and a 4 or 5 day ticket - buying them separately would be very close to the cost of an AP. An 8 day non-expiration would have been cheaper but I figured the AP would give me some room discounts plus I could buy the DDE and maybe I'd squeeze another trip in at some point. When I read the price of the AP was going up I bought it at the old price, hoping it'd be the right thing to do. Now I'm fairly certain it was a mistake. The AP discount was no better than my AAA discount for value resorts in December and I have to assume it'll be a similar situation next April. I'll appreciate having the DDE but the resort discounts were kind of the big selling point. I guess it's a bigger discount off deluxes, but I can't afford those. For values and moderates its really no better or not much better than AAA. Disney has definitely let me down on this one.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #22
notnothin
A Pirate's Life For Me

I know people won't like this, but APs are for *park admission*. The perks are subject to change at any time, and you shouldn't rely on them as many tend to do. Sure, we saved a little more than I would have my AAA rate, but it is a minimal savings. Sure, the DDE helps a little here and there as well. But here's the deal: I bought the AP so that I could visit a few times in a single year and not have to worry about purchasing tickets each time .... plain and simple.

Disney has *TONS* of annual passholders. There will be plenty to fill in the gaps as some choose not to renew. As stated before, they are a business, and they are out to make money. Unfortunately for us all, they know how to do that all too well.

notnothin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #23
suzywindy

DIS Veteran

To me my annual pass that I have carried over the years meant more than park admission. At this point with the Magic Your Way costing less the longer you buy - AP are no longer worth it to me except for my DDE card. At least with that I save 20% on sit down meals and alcohol and that is for my whole party. Plus the discount at DD. However - they stop the DDE card - I stop the AP. AP folks are repeat customers and should be wanted by a company - any company. Businesses should care about repeat customers. It costs them nothing to let you in the park - however if you go in and buy food or merchandise - then they are making more money. I have never said this before and I am 51 years old and love Disney - however, when another park can figure it out for loyal customers I think the folks at Disney are being pretty short sighted. You would have thought they would have learned from their best rates flop. AP holders did not like it and it did not last. So now they are trying something new - I think they are trying to talk you out of an AP. When AAA rate beats the AP rate - you have to be kidding....and we have 3 different rooms and one is at a different hotel. We purposely kept the dates loose to be able to bend in whatever direction. But today was just sad to me because 2 of the rooms - the aaa discount was a few hundred less and on the third room booked with MYW W/dining plan charged to the Visa - they could not apply that package discount. Even the folks on the phone were telling my DH that all day people have been complaining that the ap rate means nothing and they agree - seems odd that other discounts beats their own.

So while I will never give up Disney - I will have to tone it down one notch and maybe go visit that other park for a few days to let them get to know me and my extra bag that I pack to bring back stuff that I spend alot of $$$ on.

Dec '08 CR 12th
May '09 Poly / Dec '09 GF RPC
Dec '10 GF RPC
Dec '11 GF RPC
Dec '12 GF RPC
May '13 Yacht Club / Nov '13 Yacht Club
Dec '13 GF RPC
suzywindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #24
cdpa4d
DIS Veteran

I have a theory about the recent resort price increases and reduced AP Rates.

There is a thing called Disney Vacation Club. Disney is making truck-loads of money off of selling these timeshares. More and more people are buying into it as well. Even Robert Iger stated that DVC will be growning quite a bit in the next 5 or 10 years.

Resort price increases are a key driver in pushing people to join DVC. One of the greatest perks of joining DVC is the $100 discount you get for purchasing an AP. This is another motivator for joining DVC. I hope they never take this perk away, but as we know, perks are subject to change anytime.

I agree with everyone on this thread. Disney has a strategy for everything and this is just one angle for them to increase their revenue. Push frequent visitors to DVC. It's great for Disney. They get a lot of your money up front plus you pay dues every year to maintain the resort. That takes the financial burden away from Disney and puts it on the DVC member. It's win-win for Disney all around!

4/94 Beach Club, Honeymoon Trip, 4/95 Vistana Resort, 4/96 Swan, 4/97 Vistana Resort, 8/97 Dolphin, 4/98 Vistana Resort, 5/99 CSR, 4/00 Vistana Resort/Wilderness Lodge, 5/01 Vistana Resort, 4/02 Contemporary, 10/02 Vistana Resort, 4/03 Vistana Resort/CBR, 4/04 WL, 10/04 AKL, 4/05 Poly, 10/05 Wilderness Lodge, 3/06 AKL-BWV-GF

Coming Soon - Fall Break: Beach Club Resort 10/20/06 - 10/22/06 & Saratoga Springs 2BR 10/22/06 - 10/29/06

Just Call Me ADP

DD6 Starting Spectromagic ParadeGrand Adventures Cooking
cdpa4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #25
NewEnglandDisney
Just My Opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Duck
The real reason we sprung for the AP this year, though, was that we had our hearts set on a pre-Christmas stay at the Poly with kids and grandkids, and now with the meagre discounts it's obvious we can't swing it financially. There are a lot of people in our family whose bubbles were burst yesterday
I'm sorry to say, but this was your own fault. There are a lot of people in this thread who seem a bit confused as to why Disney offers an AP, or the expectations that come with one. You need to read the benefits guide very carefully.

The AP is meant as admission media to the parks for a year, not an automatic discount card. If you actually read the literature, it says discounts MAY be offered in LIMITED QUANITIES for SOME dates, not "go ahead and schedule a vacation you cannot afford and we'll reward you by giving it to you cheap" card.

The truth of the matter is that you should book the vacation you can afford, and Disney is under no obligation to give any discounts. They really don't need to because attendance is so good. Businesses give discounts to lure in customers, not to reward. Even "rewards" programs are geared this way, even if you are earning something, like on a Disney visa, to make you use your card when you wouldn't necessarily just for the lure of a reward.

When it comes to discounts, buying an AP hoping for them (especially for such a choice resort and dates) is gambling, plain and simple. You might as well play the stock market. Just because business last year dictated they gave one, does not mean it will happen again, and Disney is under absolutely no obligation to do so.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but I just was struck with the emoti-cons you used and your statement about a lot of burst bubbles in your family. You gambled, and lost. If you'd gone to Vegas and lost it on blackjack it's the same thing - not some tradgedy that has befallen your family. Next time, don't gamble with your families vacation.

All that said, I am an AP holder, and yes, I go more when there are more discounts. But, unlike it seems a lot of people in this thread, I realize that an AP is ADMISSION MEDIA, not a discount card. If you won't get the value out of admission, or on an already released code (i.e. you buy an AP today so you can use the code that is already out for this fall), do not buy it unless you can afford to not get a discount. When they come, it's a nice surprise, not something you have to explain to the kids why you promised you could stay somewhere you can't really pay for.

It's a hard lesson you have learned, and again, I'm sorry for being so blunt, but hopefully your experience can help another family avoid the same mistake.

In spite of everything, I'm sure you will still have a wonderful time at the World even if you have to get a resort that is more within your budget.

NED
Old 08-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #26
Anc96
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandDisney
I'm sorry to say, but this was your own fault. There are a lot of people in this thread who seem a bit confused as to why Disney offers an AP, or the expectations that come with one. You need to read the benefits guide very carefully.

The AP is meant as admission media to the parks for a year, not an automatic discount card. If you actually read the literature, it says discounts MAY be offered in LIMITED QUANITIES for SOME dates, not "go ahead and schedule a vacation you cannot afford and we'll reward you by giving it to you cheap" card.

The truth of the matter is that you should book the vacation you can afford, and Disney is under no obligation to give any discounts. They really don't need to because attendance is so good. Businesses give discounts to lure in customers, not to reward. Even "rewards" programs are geared this way, even if you are earning something, like on a Disney visa, to make you use your card when you wouldn't necessarily just for the lure of a reward.

When it comes to discounts, buying an AP hoping for them (especially for such a choice resort and dates) is gambling, plain and simple. You might as well play the stock market. Just because business last year dictated they gave one, does not mean it will happen again, and Disney is under absolutely no obligation to do so.

I'm not saying this to be mean, but I just was struck with the emoti-cons you used and your statement about a lot of burst bubbles in your family. You gambled, and lost. If you'd gone to Vegas and lost it on blackjack it's the same thing - not some tradgedy that has befallen your family. Next time, don't gamble with your families vacation.

All that said, I am an AP holder, and yes, I go more when there are more discounts. But, unlike it seems a lot of people in this thread, I realize that an AP is ADMISSION MEDIA, not a discount card. If you won't get the value out of admission, or on an already released code (i.e. you buy an AP today so you can use the code that is already out for this fall), do not buy it unless you can afford to not get a discount. When they come, it's a nice surprise, not something you have to explain to the kids why you promised you could stay somewhere you can't really pay for.

It's a hard lesson you have learned, and again, I'm sorry for being so blunt, but hopefully your experience can help another family avoid the same mistake.

In spite of everything, I'm sure you will still have a wonderful time at the World even if you have to get a resort that is more within your budget.

NED
I have to disagree with you.
I think most of us know that it's "admission media"... that's not really the point. The point is that as AP holders we had gotten those discounts and perks in the past, and we were made to feel special.
We've always understood these extras were extras. And we were happy that Disney thought enough about their Passholder to offer them to us. I don't see anyone saying "they can't do that - we're passholders!"... we are saying "why are we not so important anymore?".

They are certainly a business, no one disputes their right to make money... but I think with all the recent increases... and then increases again, and then what feels like the neglect of it's Passholders, we're thinking, Disney is greedy. And greedy is not a nice quality. It makes me sad that Disney should act in this way.

Unless things change back to us feeling 'special' again.. I will not be purchasing APs next year. But I'd have no regrets because as others' have noted, there are many beautiful places in this country we can explore.
That doesn't mean we will never return to Disney... of course we will. But APs wouldn't be necessary as it wouldn't be our "vacation place" as it is now... it will just be another one of many.

June 2004 12 nights @ Pop Century
Dec 2004 8 nights @ Coronado Springs MVMCP
June 2005 10 nights @ AKL 7/nights OP
July 2006 7 nights @ AKL 4/nights OP
July 2006 7 nights @ WL
Dec 2006 5 nights @ AKL MVMCP
June 2007 10 nights @ Beach Club CL /10 nights OP
Oct 2007 5 nights @ POR MNSSHP
June 2008 14 nights @Windsor Hills/ 6 nights @AKL
June 2010 16 nights @ Bahama Bay Resort/ 6 nights @ Double Tree, Universal
July 2011 3 nights Best Western/ 14 nights@Windsor Hills
June/July 2012 1 night Best Western/ 21 nights@Windsor Hills/ 3 nights HIE
June/July 2013 14 nights Windsor Hills
June 2014 Windsor Hills 7 nights/ 3 nights B resort
***Last Visit Until Avatarland Lures Us Back***

Me: DD17
Anc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #27
notnothin
A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandDisney

NED
Well stated, NED. AP = Admission media for one year. Some will never recognize that simple fact.

notnothin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:57 PM   #28
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinclare
This new system is just trying to milk every last dime from passholders. After seeing the $59 a night passholder rate listing I (on dis near the dates for October) I called to book. I guess I was just overly excited and didn't see the next half of the line that said from 11/26 to 12-4. What really supprised me though was that with this "Passholder" "SPECIAL CODE" they quoted me $79 a night at a value plus $10 for an extra adult.

It used to be that being a passholder meant something, now it's not worth squat. You can get the same rate with a AAA card. I mean $79 a night as a "special rate" is just insulting. Considering the price for the PAP and as much time/money as I spend there they would cut PH's a break like they used to.

Now I know you're supposed to just "reserve" your room at price and "hope" they knock the price down if they just "decide" to drop rates; yea right. With gas prices the way they are and their blood sucking new pass holder "benefits" I'm afraid I'm going to have to break our tradition of going to WDW for vacations.

I know this is a bit of a rant and that some people actually like the new system but I'm not one of them. I'm going to miss you Mickey but you can only suck so much money out of me
I just went through this too and I bet I know what the reason is. I booked Pop Century in December and they only had preferred location rooms available.

Because I could only book a preferred room, I had to pay an extra $40 for 3 nights. Couldn't find any availability at all at the All-Stars.

I think right now they really don't need to make as many discounts available to help fill rooms, but I also know they've greatly expanded the inventory of "preferred" rooms at the values. It costs $12 more per night to book a "preferred" room, and if that's all they have available, that's what you'll book if you really want to go.

My "preferred" room is still $10 a night less than it would have been if I booked a standard without the discount I think.

But I bought the AP because I am there a lot, not primarily because I want a room discount.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 08-17-2006 at 08:09 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:01 PM   #29
NewEnglandDisney
Just My Opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnothin
Well stated, NED. AP = Admission media for one year. Some will never recognize that simple fact.
It's true. And even though I may have been a bit harsh, I do sympathize. Or at least understand the lure.

I have always spoken up about this in discussions, and it's threads like this that make me even more confident in warning people not to buy an AP if it's just for unannounced discounts. If one is out and an AP will save you money, hey, no harm - go right ahead! But gambling one is released is just bad news.

Disney only gives discounts when it has extra rooms. Take for example Free Dining. The most shocking thing I've ever read on these boards was this woman who posted the most scathing things about Disney because they "hate people who have kids in school" by offering the free dining only in September. They actually said, "It's not fair to those of us who can't go then!"

She was totally ignoring the reason why free dining was given to begin with - because that's prime hurricane season, and with the deadly storms of the past few years a lot of people don't want to travel south to that area. Disney doesn't hate people who can't come in September, it just needs a bigger incentive for more people to come during that period.

Again, as I said above, though, I hope this thread does serve as a warning in the future as to what can happen when you gamble on AP rates. I'm going to keep it bookmarked and post it when people ask, "Should I get an AP for the rates next July?" in October, not to make the people who posted here feel bad but because their bad experiences are the best lesson anyone could have without it happening to themselves.

NED, who truly, truly hopes everyone who is disapointed now still has a magical trip
Old 08-17-2006, 08:08 PM   #30
Sammie
DIS Veteran

We buy the AP for unlimited access 365 days to the parks, you can not beat that value.

For rooms it was never a guarantee and while they were nice for several years. I understand the economics of it and there is no disappointment over it for us and I would never recommend buying the pass for room savings.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: