Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Claudia1

Torments DISers with choc. chip cookie escapades
Step AWAY from the cake, ma'am!

We were under-impressed with Artist's Point

We expected a superb meal but were disappointed for our 30th anniversary. The Portabello Mushroom soup was truly wonderful but our entrees were bland. DH has the crusted tuna. It was cold on the inside and had no flavor, with very little curry sauce along the side. My salmon (their signature dish) was fairly tasteless and almost dry. They gave us a cobbler dessert for our anniversary but it was something like I make all the time at home. The waiter did not refill our beverages as often as most do.

DH and I travel frequently and have eaten at 4 & 5 star restaurants across America. Our meals at Artist Point were not on par. We were not sure what to expect but the quality of the food was not up to our expectations from previous posts.

I know that many have had outstanding experiences there but we did not. (BTW, I tried to do a search for a similar thread but the search was unavailable.)
Claudia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Ms.Mouse
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience there (especially for the BIG 30!!! Happy Anniversary!!!) I never ate there but was thinking of trying it, although, I've been seeing a few posts where people weren't so happy with their meals so maybe I'll be going to another 2TS restaurant. Too bad though because it seems like a waste of 2 credits or lots of $$$ wasted that you could have used at a 1TS with food just as good....
Ms.Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
rcyannacci
A Feminist Princess...tiaras and equality for all!
Misses the noodles at O'Hana's

Sorry you had a bad experience. With the tuna, I think it's suppose to be cool on the inside (which is one of the reasons why I usually do other selections of fish).

I've heard a couple of so-so reviews of AP lately...did they change their chef recently?

December 2004
rcyannacci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
dumbotink'smom
Earning My Ears

Also sorry to hear about your bad experience. We are eating Thanksgiving dinner there this year so I hope this was just an off night for them. rcyannacci is correct though that most tuna is cooked somewhat on the rare side and is supposed to be cool on the inside but I know many people do not like it cooked that way.
2001 The Villas at the Disney Insititute (Dumbo's first trip)
Thanksgiving 2006 Beach Club(Tink's first trip)
Spring break 2011 Coronado Springs
Spring break 2014 Beach Club
dumbotink'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
ufgator
DIS Veteran

Happy Anniversary! I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience at AP. I've always had good meals there.
Me DH DS#1 DS#2 DS#3 DD Dog

Visit I Love Teddies
Your largest teddy and real bear resource, including reviews and pictures of Disney Teddy Bear and Doll Weekends

Recent trips: The Fort 2013 ~ Poly 2012 ~ GF 2011 ~ Stayed at AKL, BC, BWI, CBR, CSR, CR, Ft. Wilderness Cabins & Campgrounds, GF, Poly, POFQ, POR, WL and YC. Visited Disneyland CA and Disneyland Paris.
ufgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
Duchess1966
Earning My Ears

I agree. We were not impressed either

We wouldn't go back to Artist's Pointe either. We ate there 2 years ago. I had their signature salmon and was not impressed. I could have made it better myself.
Duchess1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:02 PM   #7
dizfanz
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am.

I have eaten at AP every trip for the past 3-4 years. It was one of my top restaurants once, but has declined lately. Service has always been nice. As far as menu, it just seems that there are very few items that are over the top. I swear the salemon is not as good as it once was. The mushroom soup is still excellent. My wife had the pork chop which was so so last time. I feel is has slid in quality somewhat. I will probably not go back for a year or so when we will be staying VWL.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #8
Viki
Mid-town Manhattan, anyone?

We ate there about 5 years ago, when it was all the rave, had the signature salmon, and were so unimpressed we've never been back.

Now, the Flying Fish ...
Viki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #9
Disney owl
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear it wasn't a good experence for you

JUNE 1996 & JUNE 1998 JUNE 2005 DLP - Camp Davy Crockett
AUGUST 2000 & OCT 2002 SEPT 2008 DLP - Offsite
JUNE 2001 AUGUST 2003 & 2007, SEPT2010 WDW - Offsite
Disney owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:14 AM   #10
bicker
DIS Veteran

Here's what I wrote in my trip reports about our wonderful meal at Artist Point in January:
Quote:
As always, the food, service and the entire experience was superlative. This is still, truly the best restaurant at WDW, by far, and if anything, pulling further into the lead.
While I would love to have a few more exotic choices on the menu, to make the place seem more "out there", I suppose since we, and lots of typical guests, wouldn't order them, it makes sense that they stick with the stuff we like.

I had the tuna, and it was perfect. My wife had the scallops and loved the flavor of the sauce. My brother and his wife both had the tenderloin and felt it was the best meal of the week. The staff was friendly and attentive even to the needs of our little ones. A great experience, overall.

I highly recommend Artist Point.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #11
hmp2z
Disney Bride, Mom to Molly, Moose, and Hannah (all in heaven), and Sophie and Emily

We've eaten there twice in the past few years and were underwhelmed both times.

Cheers!
Heather W

WDW Wedding 8/5/02
Why buy while animals die?
http://www.petfinder.com
Follow our Florida home construction journal
http://hmp2z.wordpress.com
Read our Disney dining reviews!
http://hpandaw.wordpress.com
hmp2z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #12
2giddy4wdw
DIS Veteran

I'm really sorry to hear that you didn't have a good time there. We have eaten there twice (2002 & 2003), both times the service and food were out of this world. Both times I had the Buffalo steak, and it was melt in your mouth great, not just good. When we were there in 2003 is was for our anniversary and they made a point of bringing out this huge plate with different desserts on it. The kids even loved the restaurant when they were there in 2002. We plan on going back this January, hope it's good then!!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #13
MickeyCrazed
Disney Bound and now tagged.....does life get any better than this??

Location: Del-A-Where? Exactly 983.48 miles from our BWV home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mouse
Too bad though because it seems like a waste of 2 credits or lots of $$$ wasted that you could have used at a 1TS with food just as good....
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this. We have been going to AP for over 8 years, usually several times per year.

Yes, some visits are slightly better than others. BUT, a bad night at AP has outshined any 1TS credit meal we have ever had. I would venture to say anyone who frequently dines at Disney Signature Restaurants can tell you that there is no comparison between the 1TS and 2TS venues. (At least that was the case over the last 10 years. The full effect of DDP is yet to be seen in my opinion.)

And no, I am not a Signature Restaurant snob.
I enjoy CS meals at Tangerine Cafe and Tusker House - and the character breakfast at Crystal Palace just as much as the next person.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM   #14
madalex
DIS Veteran

Been to AP twice in last three years. It's definitely on my top 5 list at WDW. I am surprised by others whose experience has not been as good.
madalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
dawgfan
from georgia ya'll

Thanks for the review.
POFQ July 2004
POFQ July 2007
WL Villas April 2009
POFQ July 2010
WL Villas March 2011
POFQ April 2011
POR June 2011