Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
fgauer
Earning My Ears

OMG - Philarmagic

Setting the stage:

Never been to WDW (prior to this trip). I am 43. I have three kides - two are teenagers and an 8 year old. The 8 year old came with us on this trip. We drove to WDW from Denver. Probably not the best idea to drive but I have great memories of road trips from my childhood so I wanted to 'earn' the destination and see some of America on the road for a change (instead of flying over it)

...after two and a half days of driving (actually not a bad trip - it didn't really wipe any of us out at all), and checking in at the 'jaw-dropping' Wilderness Lodge - we arrive at Magic Kingdom around 2:00pm...

#1: Train Ride: cute
#2: Thunder Canyon: 'meh' for me - but will do it again sometime
#3: Pirates of the Caribean: cute - will go back
#4: Boat Safari Trip: cute
#5: It's a Small World: retro-cute (still singing the song)

#6: Philarmagic...

...at this time I am 'meh' and 'cuted out'. The trip is for Tony (my 8 year old) who is already bouncing off the payment with sheer utter excitement at everything. I'm thinking that I will be wowed at Animal Kingdom the next day or at Epcot. Maybe I'm just tired or growing old...I don't know.

...the lights dim for Philarmagic. I am bracing myself for more cuteness but secretly looking forward to my first table meal on the meal plan...

Donald Duck starts flying out in 3D at me. Funny and technically astounding I think to myself. This is kinda neat. How do they (Disney) do this? This is kinda brilliant (I work in the very-dry tech industry and this is starting to appeal to my 'geek-factor'). A laugh squeeks out of me as I start to identify with Donald Duck and his irresistably funny predicaments.

Then I notice the sound track. This music is really good. I mean really good. And there is Donald getting messed with again. I let another out another laugh, this time louder, and deeeper. Hey - wait a minute? That laugh almost came out of my gut. That's just not right! I don't typically laugh like that. I spend a lot of time and energy putting up my dry-professional persona. It (the persona) is responsible for a lot of the success I have achieved in life (at least this is what I've tried to convince myself over the years). I can't let my wife or son see me laugh like this - they'll think I've gone 'soft'! I need to maintain my composure.

OMG did that flying carpet just shoot out of the wall like that? Wow! And there's Aladin and the Princess and Donald haphazardly trying to hang-on. And the music and visuals and the astounding technical and artistic elements that are putting this whole thing together...

...WAIT? What was that? Was that a feeling? It happened in my chest! No, it wasn't a constricting, or worrisome cramp or anything like this...I think that was a FEELING?!?! OH NO!! I CAN'T LET MY WIFE SEE ME HAVE EMOTIONS LIKE THIS...NOOOOO!!!!!

OMG it happened again. It's that dang music combined with just this brilliant artistry and technical prowess. It's making me feel something again. OMG - I think that was a feeling called 'inspiration' - I vaguelly remember having that feeling as a child and sometimes as a teenager. And what was that - was that 'joy'? NO WAY!! I've forgotten what that felt like. HOW DO I DEAL WITH THIS? It's been so dang long! Am I going to have a heartattack or something? I don't think my chest is capable of producing these types of experiences anymore. I've been so darn successful at turning off these 'annoyances' so I can focus on being a parental-male-economic-family-producing-robotic-machine. These 'silly' disturbances have no part in my overall plan!!!

Now the Peter Pan sequence. NO WISHES REALLY DO NOT COME TRUE! HARD WORK AND NOSE-TO-THE-GRINDTONE ACTIVITIES LEADS ONE TO RESULTS!!...but...but...but...this feels soooo GOOD... Can't I just wish for some dreams to come true? At least while I'm sitting in this dark theatre so my wife and son can't see the expression on my face and that small bit of moisture trying to exude itself from my eyeballs...

RESIST! - RESIST AT ALL COSTS! - NO MORE FEELINGS! THIS IS JUST NOT....

...okay this is brilliant. This Philarmagic thing is just absolutely brilliant. I used to believe that wishes could come true. And there sitting next to me, laughing, smiling, and giggling are two of the greatest wishes I've ever had. And they came true. And they trugged through a road-trip, two and half days, without a single complaint or gripe. And they go through everything with me - the ups and downs - the lean times and sometimes the not-so-lean times.

I WANT TO JUST SIT HERE AND WISH FOR DREAMS TO COME TRUE AGAIN. Plain and simple. It just feels too damn good. In fact I don't care if the wishes come true. I just want to feel like they CAN come true... AND I NEVER WANT TO THINK ANY OTHER WAY AGAIN!!!

...show ends - the lights come up. (I wipe the moisture from my eyes before my wife can see me)

"What'd ya think of that?", asks my wife.

I pause. "It was okay...", I eventually squeek out - in my dry-professional demeanor...

Another minute or two...

"Okay - no - that was brilliant! That was absolutely brilliant. That music, the comedy, the artistic expression, the technical wonder! That was absolutely brilliant! I mean - how do they do that?", I say - in a voice that I didn't think was mine.

My boy looks up at me. Who is this man? He is probably thinking to myself.

"Hey Dad?", he asks - trying to contain his excitement. "Do you want to go again?"...

I pause again... "AT LEAST 50 MORE TIMES!!!!!!"

...'meh' and 'cute' are gone. They've been officially replaced by 'wishing dreams can come true again'...
Old 09-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
LgTmDisFan
My DGrandkids make me smile, My DKids make me laugh, Young Gram on the loose, some day my prince will come......Oh my DHPrince just came in from a meeting got to go, Life is what happens while you are planning for WDW

I loved your report. Thank you. I so look forward to experencing this,by your description I know the whole family(12) will love it. We will be in Oct.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
blue_river
I do believe in fairies!
Yahooty for you guys

I could never have posted such a truer description of Philharmagic! I enjoyed all the 3D movies during our trip - totally awesome. Thanks for sharing
Old 09-21-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
jakenjess
DIS Veteran

Your post brought tears to my eyes! Disney is magic, there's no other word for it. There's nothing in the world like watching the Disney magic through your children's eyes and becoming a child again yourself. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
Hope73
DIS Veteran

I love it all

I don't even know how they do all tey do.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
jeepgirl30
DIS Veteran

Gee thanks. You brought tears to my eyes too and I'm at work. I already mentally checked out. I leave first thing Sunday morning and took tomorrow off.

Its my DD's first trip and I just can not wait for some of that Disney Magic to hit us!

I'm so glad it gottcha.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I can't wait to see it for the first time either.

Loved your description of everything~
Old 09-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
shyjade
DIS Veteran

Wow, you brought tears to my eyes AND goosebumps!! I hope to experience even just a fraction of what you felt during that show. We've never seen it, and last time we were to Disney my DD was only 3. I can't wait to share the Disney magic with her and know she's now old enough to remember and cherish it (she's a big sap like me).

Thanks for sharing!!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:06 PM   #9
Cass
www.casshew.com

fgauer, what a great report! I laughed when I read this

I am bracing myself for more cuteness but secretly looking forward to my first table meal on the meal plan...

Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

Oh, boy, you managed to express the whole reason I go to WDW year after year. I can never explain the true magic and feeling it brings me to other people who haven't been there. thank you so much! Excuse me I have to ge a tissue....
Old 09-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #11
MomofCKJ
I just lost steam at about 5 minutes
Wants to really smell the roses
I will not eat the second end of the hot dog

I am giggling right now, thank you for writing that! It really made me smile! I have never been to Philharmagic but can not wait to see it. Only 85 more days!

Allyson
Old 09-21-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
chip n dale fans
Mouseketeer

we love philhar magic,cant wait to see it soon!
Next trip ,November 2012'DLRP,dream castle,with our 2 boys!
Old 09-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
svalencia1
Mouseketeer

Wow! That was great, you just put a smile on my face and tears in my eyes. I loved reading that and thinking of the happy memories of the most magical trip ever we just got back from!
Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 PM   #14
forever 35
Mouseketeer

It sounds awesome! I can't wait to experience the MAGIC. Thanks for spreading the pixie dust!
Old 09-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #15
kimberh
DIS Veteran

What a great report!! When my 2 yr old granddaughter saw this for the first time, all she could talk about was Donald Duck got a Boo Boo. It amazed her when Donald Duck hit the back wall. It's all in others eyes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: