Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Gru
Mouseketeer

CM Attitudes

We just got back and there was a definite change in CM attitudes. Don't get me wrong, no one was rude, but the majority did not seem to be overly friendly. We are used to CM smiling and engaging guests. I witnessed one manager explaining to a CM at the exit of Splash that she should be smiling and greeting the guests as they exited the ride. We saw lots of CM standing around talking to eachother, most looking like there job was embarassing (Half heartedly waving to guests as the rides were about to start, etc.). The thing that made me sad was on Peter Pan. We have always had the CM wave their hands as if to "sprinkle" pixie dust to make the ship fly. We rode PP three times this past trip, they only "sprinkled" once. My daughter asked me how we were going to fly without the pixie dust.

On the other hand the few CM we encountered that had the "Disney Spirit" were awesome. Rob at HM was so into character - my kids had a ball interacting with him. There was also Connor at the CSR bus stop that was juggling and joking around - he made the 30 min. wait for the bus fun. Maria, our waitress at Mama Melrose was so friendly she stood out.

I wonder how much of the attitude change is lack of training and how much is due to society and a younger generation glued to their phones and not interacting with people in their daily lives.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

That's the final straw. Time to roll out those next gen audioanimatronic CMs. Then we won't have to deal with those pesky humans and their unpredictable human nature. Plastic smiles and pixie dust sprinkles for everyone!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #3
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
That's the final straw. Time to roll out those next gen audioanimatronic CMs. Then we won't have to deal with those pesky humans and their unpredictable human nature. Plastic smiles and pixie dust sprinkles for everyone!

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
leebee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gru View Post
We just got back and there was a definite change in CM attitudes. Don't get me wrong, no one was rude, but the majority did not seem to be overly friendly...

I wonder how much of the attitude change is lack of training and how much is due to society and a younger generation glued to their phones and not interacting with people in their daily lives.

This seems kind-of a leap, but I know what you mean. I think maybe it's a combination of things. It's the end of the spring/summer college program, so many CMs are tired, worn out, hot, ready to head back to school, maybe not feeling the love so much anymore. I also think that these CMs have had to bear the brunt of guests' dissatisfaction with the new FP+ system and might be burned out, or feeling betrayed by Disney (if they'd been going for years and thought they knew how the parks worked and what to expect… and then had to implement FP+). However, my husband teaches college/university students and he has said he sees a more entitled attitude in students today as compared to 5 years ago; it's more about "me" than ever before. Maybe all these things combined are showing up in the way some CMs treat guests.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

I'm going to put it out there. Do you think we are starting to see CMs that are part of a generation that has poor social skills because of use of the internet? Facebook/Twitter/ texting is robbing people of their interpersonal skills. Is this part of the decline of Disney Excellence?
*waits for it*
Old 08-17-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleficentRN View Post
I'm going to put it out there. Do you think we are starting to see CMs that are part of a generation that has poor social skills because of use of the internet? Facebook/Twitter/ texting is robbing people of their interpersonal skills. Is this part of the decline of Disney Excellence?
*waits for it*
No reason to duck, it may be part of it...maybe.. but I think the same can be said about the guests attitudes and social skills too.

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #7
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

FWIW, I can only remember a handful of times when we have been "pixie dusted" on Peter Pan's Flight, and I have been going to WDW since 1971.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:51 AM   #8
scoutie
DIS Veteran

I teach teenagers, and I do not notice any issues with them not being social or engaging in conversation. I think that's a huge leap. I think the problem is people being rude over fast pass plus issues. I saw so many rude adults at Disney this time. One CM said she was called in to work on her only day off that week, and her next day off wasn't until the following Tuesday. I think it would be really hard for CMs to deal with rude people while being overworked. At AK, during a rainstorm, many people were crowded in a building waiting out the rain. A guy riding a scooter tried to go in, and a CM told him that it was too dangerous to drive a scooter in a crowd of people. The scooter guy snapped, "I don't care. I'm going in. If I run over a hundred people, so be it." And he drove in. That kind of thing would be irritating to deal with over and over as a CM.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #9
butterfly71076
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
FWIW, I can only remember a handful of times when we have been "pixie dusted" on Peter Pan's Flight, and I have been going to WDW since 1971.
I don't think I remember ever getting "sprinkled" on Peter Pan.
First trip Aug 1992 POR April 1995 ASSp June 1997 ASMu DH First Trip Oct 2004 CBR DS First Trip May 2009 ASMu May/June 2010 ASMo Nov 2011 SSR Dec 2012 SSR March 2013 ASMo July 2013 CSR Sept 2013 CSR March 2014 CBR Jan 2015 1st Disney Cruise June 2015 CSR

butterfly71076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Ellwood970
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutie View Post
I teach teenagers, and I do not notice any issues with them not being social or engaging in conversation. I think that's a huge leap. I think the problem is people being rude over fast pass plus issues. I saw so many rude adults at Disney this time. One CM said she was called in to work on her only day off that week, and her next day off wasn't until the following Tuesday. I think it would be really hard for CMs to deal with rude people while being overworked.
I agree with you I also think it is over fastpass + issues. I hope the Disney people see the confusion and are trying to fix it. It works fine for individual families but try to get fastpass + experiences for a extended group it is difficult.
Ellwood970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #11
chuss
Earning My Ears

It has to be really hard being in a job where you get all the blame and anger about things but have nothing to do with the issue people are so upset about. I can't imagine being a CM in the parks when MDE goes down, trying to have to explain FP+ issues and problems all day, etc. Especially in the summer heat!
chuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #12
BuzzinDownToDisney
DIS Veteran

Yup WDW never had any rude guests before FP+

Contemporary: '82 & '86
Caribbean Beach Resort 2000 & 2004
Bay Lake Towers: 2014 & Beyond
BuzzinDownToDisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #13
CAS239
Mouseketeer

I saw the complete opposite of what your saying a couple weeks ago when I went. The CM's I encountered were probably the most friendly than any recent trip I've been on.

And I've never seen any CM pretend to sprinkle pixie dust on the PP ride.
CAS239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
chuss
Earning My Ears

Imagine being part of the 95%+ of guests who visit the parks who do not frequent boards such as this. Arriving, then trying to figure out what in the world FP+ is all about would make me frustrated as well. That's probably part of the issue, but I agree that there will always be rude guests with or without FP+.
chuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #15
Ellwood970
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzinDownToDisney View Post
Yup WDW never had any rude guests before FP+
There were plenty of rude guests I agree, few rude CM before this change. the CM are getting a lot of the pressure from the change.
Ellwood970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: