Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Bamagirl43
Earning My Ears

Dining Near DHS-Suggestions

We need a dining suggestion for a TS meal in or near DHS. We will spend the first half of the day at AKL and head to DHS around 2pm or so. I've checked out the menus in DHS and nothing seems very impressive. We are paying for the DP so hope to find something really good. We will have a car, so I was thinking about Epcot, but don't know how time consuming it will be to get over there, eat and get back. Is there something within walking distance? It's me, DH, DD16 and DS9. So far, I've decided on 'Ohana, Boma, and Biergarten, but need suggestions for this night.
Bamagirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Laura's Dad
DIS Veteran

I would check out the Beach Club/Yacht Club/Boardwalk restaurants. They are a stroll or a boar ride away and not as far as Epcot. There is a great amount of variety depending on taste and budget.
Laura's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
mchllevns
Mouseketeer

LOVE Cape May Café at the Beach Club....other Boardwalk restaurants would also be close by....

DH DW (me!) DS (25) DD (18)
mchllevns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Bamagirl43
Earning My Ears

Great. So we can walk to BC or BW. I will check out Cape May and the other restaurants there.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

You can walk or take a boat to YC/BC and BWI (it stops at Swan/Dolphin, too, but they don't take the DP at those hotels unfortunately). For a 1 credit meal, check out Captain's Grill, Cape May or Kouzzina (which closes end of September and will re-open in December as a new Italian restaurant with a different name). For 2 credits, try Yachtsman Steakhouse or Flying Fish.

The boat will also take you to Epcot. If you want to eat in WS and not walk too far, I would suggest Rose & Crown or Chefs de France. You could eat at either of those and then simply walk out the IG exit and grab the boat back to DHS.

Just for time's sake, if you walk from DHS, BWI will be your closest spot. If you take the boat from DHS it stops at Swan/Dolphin, YC/BC, Epcot and then BWI.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
luvdisney87
Mouseketeer

I would encourage you to relook at 50's Prime Time Café. It is our favorite restaurant and we have always had good food there. Plus, it would save you travel time to one of the resorts. Otherwise, my vote is for Cape May. One problem you may have is that the resort restaurants might not be open at that time.

1979-off-site, 2004 -off-site, 2009 -POR, 2013 -CBR
luvdisney87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl43 View Post
We need a dining suggestion for a TS meal in or near DHS. We will spend the first half of the day at AKL and head to DHS around 2pm or so. I've checked out the menus in DHS and nothing seems very impressive. We are paying for the DP so hope to find something really good. We will have a car, so I was thinking about Epcot, but don't know how time consuming it will be to get over there, eat and get back. Is there something within walking distance? It's me, DH, DD16 and DS9. So far, I've decided on 'Ohana, Boma, and Biergarten, but need suggestions for this night.
We usually stay at BCV and Big River Grille is a go-to place for us. Next month, DW and I are going on a solo trip, staying at an all-stars. and when we are at DHS, we will be taking the boat from DHS to the boardwalk to eat here.

xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
PFopma
Mouseketeer

If you have the dining plan I would go for The Hollywood Brown Derby for lunch. On our last trip we had sour best meal there.
PFopma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #9
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFopma View Post
If you have the dining plan I would go for The Hollywood Brown Derby for lunch. On our last trip we had sour best meal there.
This is a 2 credit restaurant on the DDP, so you know.

Hoping to find something "really good" on the DDP can sometimes be a stretch. High expectations often lead to disappointment.
Are you spending your morning at AK or AKL? Do you have more time at DHS than this afternoon/evening?
Heading to either the Boardwalk or YC/BC or Epcot is going to take a big chunk of time out of your time at DHS. The boat runs every 30 minutes, so you can be waiting just to leave. The walk to the YC/BC is 20 25 minutes a bit less to the Boardwalk. Then you have to be seated, order, be served, eat, walk or boat back.
Epcot will be even longer.
If you have more time to explore DHS this can be a fun option. There is good food to be had there.
Enjoy
Old 09-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Bamagirl43
Earning My Ears

Thanks all. We are spending the first part of the day at AK, sorry. I'm rethinking leaving DHS because it is going to take too long. Spending time going outside the park to eat seems wasteful. This is our only day at DHS and honestly, we wouldn't even go if not for the Osborne Lights. I'm not expecting a gourmet meal, was just hoping for something good (will settle for o.k., but not gross). I will check out 50's Prime Time. Brown Derby has great reviews, but I don't want to use the 2TS credits. Mama Melrose has extreme reviews which alarm me.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #11
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

There is no option for gross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamagirl43 View Post
Thanks all. We are spending the first part of the day at AK, sorry. I'm rethinking leaving DHS because it is going to take too long. Spending time going outside the park to eat seems wasteful. This is our only day at DHS and honestly, we wouldn't even go if not for the Osborne Lights. I'm not expecting a gourmet meal, was just hoping for something good (will settle for o.k., but not gross). I will check out 50's Prime Time. Brown Derby has great reviews, but I don't want to use the 2TS credits. Mama Melrose has extreme reviews which alarm me.
I have never encountered a meal anywhere at WDW that fits into a "gross" category. Relax! If time is most important, eat in the park. I've enjoyed all the DHS TS meals and have had really good CS meals as well. Of course, my really good is not gonna be identical to anyone else's really good. You know how to size up the menu, but ya can't SMELL IT online. Keep in mind Disney meals try to be better than the average home town match. They PLUS IT. That'll do.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM   #12
troll buster
Mouseketeer

50's Primetime and Mama Melrose are both great!!
troll buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #13
Tilnar
Addicted to the Magic

I'll certainly also happily suggest 50's Prime Time -- it's one of our "must do" restaurants, in fact. We love it -- both the environment and the comfort food are excellent.
Tilnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #14
DaisyNY
DIS Veteran

We're heading to Cape May based on recommendations...never really loved any of the restaurants at DHS, particularly for dinner.

March '14...WL, Disney Dream, BLT, October '13...GF,
December '12...WL, June '11...WL
Before...Many other magical trips including Poly, POR, and CBR... LUCKY US!!!
DaisyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM   #15
Sandy321
Crazy enough to want to do another Half Marathon!
If it were all about me? - I'd go with the Princesses!!

oh boy, did I read this wrong or what!

:embarrassed:

Last edited by Sandy321; Yesterday at 09:07 PM.
Sandy321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: