Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2014, 10:10 PM   #1
Capang
Earning My Ears

Planning out my ADRs...suggestions?

So our reservation window opens in a few weeks for ADRs. Our family has visited WDW once, last summer. DH, DD will be 4, myself and my mother are returning for round 2 (and we are soooo excited)! We learned last time that the food is definitely not the draw for us. It was ok, but not outstanding. We are looking for fun themed or character dining that will entertain DD while we cool off and rest our feet. We are staying at WL and intend to have plans for Chef Mickeys, Akershus, and 1900 Park Fare. At HS we are torn between Mama Melrose, 50s PT, and Sci-fi. We did H&V last trip and DD loved the characters. We have a down day and are torn between California Grill, Ohanas, Artist Point, or Whispering Canyon. My mom loves seafood and good/real Italian but I am not holding my breath that she will find that. Any suggestions for us that we may have overlooked? We did Crystal Palace and Royal Table last year and we're looking for something new to us. Any restaurants worth visiting at DTD? Thanks in advance for any help here! We are still learning the Disney ropes. Also, any great places for snacks or sweet treats?
Capang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Newsies
With faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust, may all your dreams come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capang View Post
So our reservation window opens in a few weeks for ADRs. Our family has visited WDW once, last summer. DH, DD will be 4, myself and my mother are returning for round 2 (and we are soooo excited)! We learned last time that the food is definitely not the draw for us. It was ok, but not outstanding. We are looking for fun themed or character dining that will entertain DD while we cool off and rest our feet. We are staying at WL and intend to have plans for Chef Mickeys, Akershus, and 1900 Park Fare. At HS we are torn between Mama Melrose, 50s PT, and Sci-fi. We did H&V last trip and DD loved the characters. We have a down day and are torn between California Grill, Ohanas, Artist Point, or Whispering Canyon. My mom loves seafood and good/real Italian but I am not holding my breath that she will find that. Any suggestions for us that we may have overlooked? We did Crystal Palace and Royal Table last year and we're looking for something new to us. Any restaurants worth visiting at DTD? Thanks in advance for any help here! We are still learning the Disney ropes. Also, any great places for snacks or sweet treats?
- 1900PF is definitely my favorite character meal, so I'm glad it's in your plans!
- Try Akershus for breakfast in Epcot. I believe it's cheaper than Cinderella's Royal Castle, but the concept is the same- just with a buffet. It sounds like your DD will enjoy it.
- Cape May Buffet sounds like something that will please everyone. Your DD loves the characters, and your mother will love the large amount of seafood on the buffet.
- Via Napoli in Epcot is the BEST Italian food in WDW imo
- If you're going to DTD, you might want to consider taking advantage of the T-REX cafe. The food is good (not quite 5-star), but the experience is phenomenal.
- Ohana's is fun and the food is delicious. That's my cool-down day recommendation for you.
- The 50's Prime Time is a MUST for HS. The food is amazing and the fun you get out of it is like no other.
- Try Tusker House for lunch at AK. It's a nice way for you guys to cool down during the day while your DD gets some character interaction.

I hope I helped! Have a fun trip!
a barfly in a town about to get all shook up, a tenant living with my boyfriend in a boarding house in almost, maine, and currently
looking for my children in ancient rome where
a funny thing happened on the way to the forum.

Social Media: twitter // pinterest // ig // tumblr // wordpress
Newsies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #3
Sarahbelle341
Mouseketeer

Adr

Cape May Buffet only has characters at breakfast. NOT Dinner when its a seafood buffet. It has good breakfast food but only 3 characters Minnie, Goofy, and Donald.

We though the food at Chef Mickeys for dinner was terrible. Sanaa is a cool themed dining experience to literally dine with the animals for your Ak day or your down day. Great food even if you aren't terribly adventurous eaters. TREX is downtown disney is neat if you have a kids that likes dinosaurs. They have a good variety on their menu as well.

Akershus breakfast food is good and the value of meeting so many princesses at once can be priceless with the heat and long lines. You get a cool family photo with Belle as well. THe day we went our lineup was Belle, Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, and Mary Poppins (filling in for Sleeping Beauty).

Ohana breakfast is nice. It has Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto. Food is family style which can be nice with little kids.
March 2014- Port Orleans Riverside
June 2014-Holiday Inn Lake Bunea Vista
July 2014- Cruise on Disney Dream
February 2015- Pop Century
Sarahbelle341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Capang
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsies View Post
- 1900PF is definitely my favorite character meal, so I'm glad it's in your plans!
- Try Akershus for breakfast in Epcot. I believe it's cheaper than Cinderella's Royal Castle, but the concept is the same- just with a buffet. It sounds like your DD will enjoy it.
- Cape May Buffet sounds like something that will please everyone. Your DD loves the characters, and your mother will love the large amount of seafood on the buffet.
- Via Napoli in Epcot is the BEST Italian food in WDW imo
- If you're going to DTD, you might want to consider taking advantage of the T-REX cafe. The food is good (not quite 5-star), but the experience is phenomenal.
- Ohana's is fun and the food is delicious. That's my cool-down day recommendation for you.
- The 50's Prime Time is a MUST for HS. The food is amazing and the fun you get out of it is like no other.
- Try Tusker House for lunch at AK. It's a nice way for you guys to cool down during the day while your DD gets some character interaction.

I hope I helped! Have a fun trip!
Thanks! This is very helpful!
Old 11-13-2014, 11:00 PM   #5
Capang
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahbelle341 View Post
Cape May Buffet only has characters at breakfast. NOT Dinner when its a seafood buffet. It has good breakfast food but only 3 characters Minnie, Goofy, and Donald.

We though the food at Chef Mickeys for dinner was terrible. Sanaa is a cool themed dining experience to literally dine with the animals for your Ak day or your down day. Great food even if you aren't terribly adventurous eaters. TREX is downtown disney is neat if you have a kids that likes dinosaurs. They have a good variety on their menu as well.

Akershus breakfast food is good and the value of meeting so many princesses at once can be priceless with the heat and long lines. You get a cool family photo with Belle as well. THe day we went our lineup was Belle, Cinderella, Snow White, Ariel, and Mary Poppins (filling in for Sleeping Beauty).

Ohana breakfast is nice. It has Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Pluto. Food is family style which can be nice with little kids.
I have been reading on here about Chef Mickeys food being pretty awful. It's disappointing it came so highly recommended yet many people seem to have problems there as of late. Thanks for your input!
Old 11-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

We love Raglan Road in DTD. It is an Irish Pub and Restaurant. It was literally constructed in Ireland, deconstructed and shipped to Orlando and reconstructed on site at DTD. It is a beautiful restaurant with delicious food and a bigger than usual menu, warm, friendly servers and excellent entertainment. There are live bands and Irish Step Dancers. However, it can be really loud.
Enjoy.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

We just returned from a week in WDW for ds's 3rd birthday. We went to Chef Mickey's last Saturday for his birthday dinner and I was happily surprised after reading the poor reviews on here. Everyone enjoyed their dinner and my son loved it there. We had similar experiences after reading poor reviews for 1900 Park Faire and Sci-Fi so now I just give every place at least one try.

If your mom enjoys seafood I would give Flying Fish a try.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:19 PM   #8
wdwgoofydaddy
DIS Veteran

We have always love Disney dining, not because the food is amazing but because Disney makes it so much fun.

here are all the reviews we have completed thus far. Still have a lot to complete and post but this should get you started on a few.

Hope this helps.

http://memoriesofdisney.com/category.../#.VGbFrpPF_TE
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Memor...46591875460145
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/memoriesodisney/

April 2005 - WDW / June 2007- WDW / January 2008 - Cruise (Magic) / December 2009 - WDW / March 2010 - WDW / August 2010 - WDW / February 2011 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / April 2011 - WDW / August 2011 - WDW / February 2012 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / August 2012 - WDW / December 2012 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / July 2013 - WDW / January 2014 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / March 2014 - WDW & Cruise (Magic) / May 2014 - WDW 24hr Event / Aug 2014 x2 - WDW/ Dec 2014 - WDW / Mar 2015 - WDW / May 2015 - DLR

wdwgoofydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Capang
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgoofydaddy
We have always love Disney dining, not because the food is amazing but because Disney makes it so much fun.

here are all the reviews we have completed thus far. Still have a lot to complete and post but this should get you started on a few.

Hope this helps.

http://memoriesofdisney.com/category.../#.VGbFrpPF_TE
Thanks! I had never heard of Cosmic Rays and that looks like such a fun quick service lunch!
Old 11-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #10
wdwgoofydaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capang View Post
Thanks! I had never heard of Cosmic Rays and that looks like such a fun quick service lunch!
Lots of fun and strongly recommended. We love it!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Memor...46591875460145
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/memoriesodisney/

April 2005 - WDW / June 2007- WDW / January 2008 - Cruise (Magic) / December 2009 - WDW / March 2010 - WDW / August 2010 - WDW / February 2011 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / April 2011 - WDW / August 2011 - WDW / February 2012 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / August 2012 - WDW / December 2012 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / July 2013 - WDW / January 2014 - WDW & Cruise (Dream) / March 2014 - WDW & Cruise (Magic) / May 2014 - WDW 24hr Event / Aug 2014 x2 - WDW/ Dec 2014 - WDW / Mar 2015 - WDW / May 2015 - DLR

wdwgoofydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
ChicagoMom
Mouseketeer

I'd agree with you that the food at WDW is generally okay but not outstanding. I was kind of disappointed after our first trip because I had inflated expectations after reading the online reviews. Basically the food, at best in most TS restaurants, is Applebee's or Chili's level, while the food at the TS buffets is a step below that. Okay, edible, but nothing outstanding or amazing, IMHO. So I doubt you'll find any outstanding seafood or Italian anywhere.

You should try WCC. It's fun atmosphere and my DD always has a great time there. The food is okay but you get tons of it.

50's PT is okay but the atmosphere is fun.

We won't go back to Chef Mickeys. Our favorite Mickey character meal is Tusker House in AK. The food is a step above the standard buffet and the character interactions are always good there but there is no Minnie or Pluto there anymore.

Your DD will love Akershus and 1900 Park Fare. Food is okay at both places and better than Chef Mickeys but the character interactions are great. The stepsisters are a real hoot.
ChicagoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
Kristina4109
Saying which Disney destination is better is like asking a Mom which kid she loves the most

We did the 'Ohana breakfast on June 13th. Absolutely loved it. The characters we met were Mickey (in a Hawaiian shirt), Pluto, Lilo and Stitch. This was the only time we've ever met Lilo in either WDW or DL.

The food was tasty and we liked the fact that is was brought to your table. At most other character breakfasts you have to go up to the buffet and there's always the worry that a character will come to your table while someone is at the buffet. We were told we could ask our waiter for more of anything we wanted but we were stuffed with what they brought to our table.
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Kristina4109 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: