Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2015, 02:27 PM   #1
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Anyone here with Multiple Sclerosis?

Please help me calm down. I went to a neurolgist for a second opinion on my lower back/walking/drop foot issues and he decided I might have MS. Naturally, I'm freaking out here (I admit-I'm easily freaked out-I expected him to say "Yeah, it's just your back). I've done some reading and although I've got some classic symptoms, I don't have fatigue, vision issues, heat problems other than "hate heat". I just returned from WDW, and other than using a cane, I was OK. So what can anyone tell me about my future? Any exercise recommendations? Any websites you'd recommend that have good info?
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Please help me calm down. I went to a neurolgist for a second opinion on my lower back/walking/drop foot issues and he decided I might have MS. Naturally, I'm freaking out here (I admit-I'm easily freaked out-I expected him to say "Yeah, it's just your back). I've done some reading and although I've got some classic symptoms, I don't have fatigue, vision issues, heat problems other than "hate heat". I just returned from WDW, and other than using a cane, I was OK. So what can anyone tell me about my future? Any exercise recommendations? Any websites you'd recommend that have good info?
The first doctor must not have suggested MS? Sounds like the second didn't diagnose it yet either? I'd just calm down until something actually comes back definitive. Maybe even go for a third opinion if the first two has differing opinions.
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #3
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Did the first opinion doctor think you had ms too?
No, she's a GP, the "second opinion" was the first neurosurgeon I've seen. She, whom I've been seeing for years, just figured my bulfing discs, sciatica, degenerative disc disease caused all the symptoms. And my only symptoms ARE below the waist, mostly back and legs.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. Can you think of anything you might have done lately that might cause the specific problem? A few years back, I tripped over a box at work and ended up limping. After some time, the limp caused drop foot. That caused me to trip over nothing about four times in one week, the last time at the MRI center. Broken leg only, no longlasting illness or condition except clumsiness.
Stuff You Should Know About Stuff - Tyler Stanton/Tripp Crosby; Die Hard, Hard, Hard, Hard - The Single Screenwriter; The National Liar - Chris Carney; How to Fail at Dating - Frank Reteguiz; Mr. Monk Helps Himself - Hy Conrad; Secrets of Bar Bets Scams & Hustles - J. Hill; Stronger - Jeff Bauman/Bret Witter; Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda - Tara Lee Reed; Lady Justice in the Eye of the Storm - Robert Thornhill; Lady Justice and the Candidate - Robert Thornhill; Dying to Read - Lorena McCourtney;
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Don't get ahead of yourself as it doesn't sound like you actually have a diagnosis. I can't imagine the neurologist just said you might have MS without further recommendation. What does the doctor say should be done next?

I know the person I am close to with MS had to start a regimen of medications and had a lot of testing done including looking for lesions on the brain.

Has the doctor started that process? Again if not, you need to know what the next steps are and go from there.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
Apopper74
Mouseketeer

MS here. First things first take a deep breath and relax. Couldn't tell you how many times someone has come to me asking questions because a relative saw a doctor and might have MS. None of those situations ever had MS, so let the testing give you the DX. If it is MS, remember it is a life sentence not a death sentence. I was a quick diagnosis because my mother also had it so as soon I had my first symptom I saw a Doctor immediately, within a months time I had all my testing done and got a second opinion from one of the foremost experts on MS at Mt. Sinai in NY.

Within the last 15 yrs there has been so many discoveries and new treatments that really delay as well as improve symptoms. Just do whatever your Dr tells you. Be positive, I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago and I am doing fabulously. I am sensitive to heat and will on occasion suffer from fatigue but endless cups of coffee help. I have never had vision problems. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Apopper74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: