DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
POTCfan
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Transferring Points Question

I have rented points on several occasions and have finally taken the plunge and made an offer (which was accepted) on an AKV contract. Assuming it passes ROFR and no problems happen in the closing process, I was hoping to rent points to offset the initial cost. I have seen posts where people offering points for rent are asked if they can transfer the points. Is it possible to transfer 2014 UY points now (similar to using 2014 UY points to make a 2014 UY vacation now), or do I have to wait until the points are awarded to make a transfer? Also, I realize you are only allowed 1 transfer (in or out) a year, I would assume the the transfer is tied to the UY of the points and not the actual time that you made the transfer (assuming you can transfer the points prior to when they are awarded)?
POTCfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Points retain their UY and home resort status.

Per DVC rules you are not allowed to receive money for the transfer.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
POTCfan
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
Points retain their UY and home resort status.

Per DVC rules you are not allowed to receive money for the transfer.

Bill
But it is allowed to rent points, correct? So I can rent a reservation for someone, but not transfer the points (for the same price as renting) so they can make their own reservation? There must be a reason Disney is specific about one and not the other... but being new I would like to follow the rules.

I am assuming that all of the offers for transfer of points are not people deciding to give away their points rather than renting them.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTCfan View Post
I have rented points on several occasions and have finally taken the plunge and made an offer (which was accepted) on an AKV contract. Assuming it passes ROFR and no problems happen in the closing process, I was hoping to rent points to offset the initial cost. I have seen posts where people offering points for rent are asked if they can transfer the points. Is it possible to transfer 2014 UY points now (similar to using 2014 UY points to make a 2014 UY vacation now), or do I have to wait until the points are awarded to make a transfer? Also, I realize you are only allowed 1 transfer (in or out) a year, I would assume the the transfer is tied to the UY of the points and not the actual time that you made the transfer (assuming you can transfer the points prior to when they are awarded)?
You would have to transfer the 2014 points to another 2014 contract and they could not be borrowed, but they could be banked by the new owner.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTCfan

But it is allowed to rent points, correct? So I can rent a reservation for someone, but not transfer the points (for the same price as renting) so they can make their own reservation? There must be a reason Disney is specific about one and not the other... but being new I would like to follow the rules.

I am assuming that all of the offers for transfer of points are not people deciding to give away their points rather than renting them.
people do it. but it is a violation of your contract terms so don't expect disney to get involved if there's a problem.

and please have better sense than to tell MS that money is involved when you call.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
bookwormde
Heading out now, another adventure
Have a good time, WDW is a magical place

As soon as your 2013 UY beginning passes you can transfer. It does not matter what use year the other party is in since they retain your UY. There are a few issues with say transferring 2012 UY points into someone who is in there 2013 UY but it can be done.

I transfer is by your calendar UY
Old 08-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
POTCfan
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I won't do it... with my luck something would go wrong. I was under the impression it was OK because it looks like it is a fairly common practice. I guess if I thought Disney would ban anything, they would ban renting points for money (involving anyone in the general public) before transfer of points for money (involving only DVC owners). But, I'll stick with renting only, because those are the rules.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by POTCfan View Post
I won't do it... with my luck something would go wrong. I was under the impression it was OK because it looks like it is a fairly common practice. I guess if I thought Disney would ban anything, they would ban renting points for money (involving anyone in the general public) before transfer of points for money (involving only DVC owners). But, I'll stick with renting only, because those are the rules.
The thing is, points have no monetary value. So you can't officially transfer them for cash. That is the logic behind the rule (members are expressly prohibited from compensation for engaging in any transfer activity).

A reservation has a monetary value, so you can ask for cash in exchange for a reservation.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Transferring is easy and I just did my first one a few months back. I just called and said I wanted to transfer points to another member and the CM was as nice as can be. I didn't answer or try to explain anything, just this is what I want to do, here is their member number and name, including city and in less than 5 minutes it was all set.

I prefer this option since renting involves risk in terms of being responsible for guests and if there are issues, you need to get the renter to make it right. Once a transfer is done, the points are theirs to do with what they want.

Good luck and congratulations!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post

The thing is, points have no monetary value. So you can't officially transfer them for cash. That is the logic behind the rule (members are expressly prohibited from compensation for engaging in any transfer activity).

A reservation has a monetary value, so you can ask for cash in exchange for a reservation.
This has always confused me because it seems like MS totally supports people transferring points for cash. What's the deal? Are there things you can and can't say on the phone to MS? I've never done it myself.

edit: I've read the sticky, and realized (in hindsight) that this is probably a questions that can't be answered publicly without violating some guideline or rule. If someone wants to answer via PM, that's fine, but PLEASE don't post here about violating your DVC agreement!

Last edited by WMorganS; 08-10-2013 at 09:49 PM.
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #11
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMorganS View Post
This has always confused me because it seems like MS totally supports people transferring points for cash. What's the deal? Are there things you can and can't say on the phone to MS? I've never done it myself.
If you mention that you are receiving cash, they will not complete the transfer. As mentioned, DVC has to know that it is taking place, but its clear they don't want to get into the middle of a dispute and as long as you are not legally allowed to accept money, there would be no way you could ask Disney to reverse a transfer by saying you never got paid.

In the case of a reservation and renting it, you retain control of it so if something happens, you have the ability to cancel, again, without having to involve Disney.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
WMorganS
Flapping My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post

If you mention that you are receiving cash, they will not complete the transfer. As mentioned, DVC has to know that it is taking place, but its clear they don't want to get into the middle of a dispute and as long as you are not legally allowed to accept money, there would be no way you could ask Disney to reverse a transfer by saying you never got paid.

In the case of a reservation and renting it, you retain control of it so if something happens, you have the ability to cancel, again, without having to involve Disney.
Ahh (the light turns on)! Of course! Legalese and avoiding accountability! I should have known!
WMorganS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: