Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Southern California Theme Parks
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
disney-super-mom
I make a mean pot of Jazz Kitchen gumbo
BRING ME ANOTHER DIET

Can't decide between Knotts and Legoland

We're staying at the Paradise Pier for five nights in October. We know we'll do four days at DL & DCA, but one day we'd like to go somewhere else to break things up a bit.

We have two little boys, ages 7 and 3. We have been to Knotts before and thought it was fun, but we've never been to Legoland before.

On the one hand, Knotts is so close and convenient to DL that it would be easy to get to even during the workweek traffic. Legoland is not close to DL and traffic is horrible to and from San Diego to Anaheim. (We've driven it when we went to Sea World one year, and it was bumper to bumper most of the way.)

But, on the other hand, I think our boys would really like Legoland, especially considering their ages. It looks like it would be a wonderful place to take young boys, and we'd like to take them there while they're still young enough to really enjoy it.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us? Help us choose between Knotts and Legoland - WE NEED YOUR HELP.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #2
Tink33
I was standing up on the board and riding the waves
DISMeet bon bon shaker
High-kicked with the penguins

I vote for Legoland. If you leave Anaheim around 9:00 am, you should miss most of the morning commute. Spend the day at Legoland, have dinner in Carlsbad and drive back to Anaheim around 7:00 pm and you will miss most of the evening commute.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #3
eduk8r26
DIS Veteran

I vote for Legoland, too. Your boys are the right age to really enjoy it. And the food there is really good--and healthy.
eduk8r26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Legoland is perfect for 7 and 3 year olds.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
exDS vet
"How in the world can the words that I said send somebody so over the edge?"

I vote for Knotts. Camp Snoopy is great for the little kids and there is so much to do. Otheer things like the Steam train, Calico Mine Ride and stagecoach are also great for the kids. Plus, you can't beat Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant for lunch or dinner.
exDS vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Knott's used to be a great place - in the 60s and 70s. Last time I went it was run down, dirty, and filled with gang bangers.

I would go to LegoLand.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:37 PM   #7
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

While I agree that Knott's is not kept as clean as Disneyland, I have to disagree with previous poster. Knott's is not run down, dirty, or filled with gang bangers. We bought AP last Nov. (they are soo cheap!) and have been several times since then. October will be a perfect time to go since when local kids are back in school Knott's is practically deserted. We have been in Nov, Jan, and May and have riden more rides than we can count. Also, my DD6 loves the rides in Camp Snoopy. She also likes the more adults rides too (the ones she's tall enough for.) And of course Knott's has that delicious fried chicken-yummo! Or you can got just outside the park to The Claim Jumper which is one of the best restaurants in Orange County.

We've been to Legoland twice but we much prefer Knott's. To us, Knott's has more rides and things to do. We are about 30-40 min. for Knott's and 1 hr. from Legoland.

If you decide on Legoland, their hours in Oct. are reduced. The are open only on Sun, Mon, Tues, Fri, and Sat.. They are open 10-6. I couldn't find Knott's hours for October. If you decide on Legoland I would leave by 8 a.m. or you won't get there until after they open. It will take you, I would guess, 1-1/2 to 2 hrs. to get to Carlsbad from Anaheim in the a.m. unless you go on Sunday (Saturday traffic going south is almost as bad as weekday traffic.)

Have a great time whichever one you choose!
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
grumpy.uncle
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-super-mom
We're staying at the Paradise Pier for five nights in October. We know we'll do four days at DL & DCA, but one day we'd like to go somewhere else to break things up a bit.

We have two little boys, ages 7 and 3. We have been to Knotts before and thought it was fun, but we've never been to Legoland before.

On the one hand, Knotts is so close and convenient to DL that it would be easy to get to even during the workweek traffic. Legoland is not close to DL and traffic is horrible to and from San Diego to Anaheim. (We've driven it when we went to Sea World one year, and it was bumper to bumper most of the way.)

But, on the other hand, I think our boys would really like Legoland, especially considering their ages. It looks like it would be a wonderful place to take young boys, and we'd like to take them there while they're still young enough to really enjoy it.

Anyone have any words of wisdom for us? Help us choose between Knotts and Legoland - WE NEED YOUR HELP.
I would vote for Legoland. Your boys will love it and it's newer than Knotts. The one and only time we went to Knotts, it was in the middle of a DL trip. We were soooo disappointed after being at Disney. Knotts was run down and dirty and other than Camp Snoopy which was great for the kids, most of the rides are more suitable for older kids. It's really hard to enjoy other parks once you've done Disney where everything is so pristine, thought out, and installed w/ a generous budget.
grumpy.uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Dizneydaz
DIS Veteran

Oh, and one more thing I forgot regarding Knott's during October. During October Knott's has the Halloween Haunt (they haven't released the schedule yet) but what that means is that the park does close early when the Haunt is going on. I think at 6 p.m. So their hours are probably the same as Legoland 10-6.

However, I would still go to Knott's since due to the shortened hours the park is pretty much deserted during the day (weekdays) and your boys would be able to ride everything as often as they want.
Dizneydaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #10
Brina78
Mouseketeer

I'd go with Knotts only because it's a lot closer and less driving to deal with. I've never been to Legoland, nor do I even care to go, but Knotts is a total blast for ALL ages.

Basil of Baker Street concept art by Mike Peraza
Brina78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 06:30 PM   #11
KelsiesMommy
DIS Veteran

I'd vote LegoLand- Your boys are the PERFECT age for this and I'm sure they'll LOVE it!!

January 2008- POFQ- My First trip to WDW- Happy Birthday to me!
Feb 2010 Disney Wonder- For Hubby's 40th Birthday!

Feb-Mar 2011 WDW POFQ with the whole family!!
KelsiesMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
IzzysMom
Mouseketeer

I vote for Legoland - not only will your boys love it but so will you. Miniland is not to be missed - there are many important buildings from the US replicated in Legos - very cool.

If you run out of things to do at Legoland there is a small outlet mall nearby and then there's always the ocean which is very close to Legoland.

We will be heading back to Legoland next Sunday after moving away from San Diego 5 years ago. We went to Legoland many times while we lived there.

I hope whatever you decide you have a great time.
IzzysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:16 PM   #13
Surroundedbyboys
Mouseketeer

We took our sons to Legoland when they were 7 & 4 and not only did they love it, but so did all the grown ups. The little towns they made with Legos are very cool to look at and there was plenty to do. Plus there's an inside area where they can make & race cars where you can either participate or sit and relax while they're busy. We drove up the night before and spent the night. We got there at opening, stayed until closing and then drove back to Anaheim. It worked out perfect. Have fun!
Surroundedbyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:27 PM   #14
Brina78
Mouseketeer

The more I think about it, Legoland should be visited on a separate vacation. I can't see you folks driving that long distance between parks. Dealing with traffic is not fun for anyone, and that's what you'd get on the South 5 to Canyon Rd. in Carlsbad. If you really are considering the trek down, you have to leave early to avoid traffic, probably around 6 a.m. It's going to be an all-day thing, too, so you won't be leaving back up to Paradise Pier until well after 7 or 8 p.m. at night. Without traffic by then, you should be back by 9:30-10 at the latest. I don't know. I'm not trying to ruin your vacation, I'm trying to think of all the driving you'd be doing. It can be done, but everyone will be very tired by the end of the day.

Basil of Baker Street concept art by Mike Peraza
Brina78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #15
drag n' fly
Bucket list alert!!...Rode the Lilly Belle and dined at Club 33 on the same day with Dave Smith!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink33
I vote for Legoland. If you leave Anaheim around 9:00 am, you should miss most of the morning commute. Spend the day at Legoland, have dinner in Carlsbad and drive back to Anaheim around 7:00 pm and you will miss most of the evening commute.

This is what we did when we went to Sea World for the day. We actually found the drive quite enjoyable..beautiful coastline etc! The fall is such a great time to go! We did however feel a bit rushed with the reduced hours in the fall so next time we will drive down the night before and then do Legoland.
drag n' fly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: