Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #751
savin4WDW
Mouseketeer

Thank you to all the posters to this thread

To everyone who has posted tips on this thread -- thank you!

I went on MIB for the first time earlier this year, and basically got laughed at by all the aliens and Will Smith. Clearly unacceptable. So in anticipation of our next visit to Orlando (which was last week), I found this thread, printed out the tips, and read through it a few times before getting to the park.

I wasn't able to keep most of the specific target info in my head, but enough of it stuck that on my first ride through, I scored 377k. I realize that you all could do better than that with your eyes closed, but since that represented approximately a 750% improvement over my previous score, I was quite pleased.

But the best part of all was that it got me the suit! Yippee!
Having achieved that, my visit to Universal was complete, so I turned the rest of the park choices over to my husband, and everyone was happy.

I aim to improve on our next visit, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying the success of the moment.

So thanks all!
savin4WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #752
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin4WDW View Post
The best thing is that you reached a point where you're good enough at the game that you can now enjoy it.

the most difficult part about the tips in this thread is that the game moves so quickly that it's hard to see everything, or to remember what it is you're looking for at which part of the game. Plus, if you aren't familiar with where everything is and what it looks like, sometimes the descriptions don't really help you.

If you're like me, and you make it to Uni once every three years or so, your vacation probably doesn't let you ride MiB over and over to try out the tips, so you have to make the most of a few trips through. I was lucky enough earlier this year to have a few ride-throughs with Bev (Phamton), one of the MiB legends. She helped me a lot, but I still would like to ride through with her again.

The other difficulty is that as the years have gone by, sensors have changed, or even disappeared, so some of the tips in this thread don't apply any more. I get the feeling that the ride could really use a major rehab to put it back into the condition it was in when this thread began.

Last edited by cigar95; 10-16-2012 at 02:03 PM.
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #753
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaR View Post
After this ship to the right will be an alien reading a newspaper on a bench. Hit the alien once for the newspaper to go down. After the newspaper goes down you will see the alien version of Steven Spielberg.
Can this work on both sides?

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #754
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFloridian99 View Post
Can this work on both sides?
theoretically, yes. But it's a much more difficult shot, and you're quite a bit farther away. It may just look like a guy holding a newspaper.

no one asked, but this is also the area where Frank is found. I have hit Frank from the left side in the past, but I wouldn't recommend it - there are much better targets to hit in that area. Frank's definitely a right-hand side target.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #755
savin4WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
If you're like me, and you make it to Uni once every three years or so, your vacation probably doesn't let you ride MiB over and over to try out the tips, so you have to make the most of a few trips through.
Exactly -- not to mention the presence of a husband and children who aren't quite as interested as I would be in spending the whole trip just repeatedly going on MIB. (Alas for their varied interests!)

Maybe at some point they'll just want a pool day and I can sneak off to MIB...
savin4WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #756
jwt129
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by savin4WDW View Post

I went on MIB for the first time earlier this year, and basically got laughed at by all the aliens and Will Smith. Clearly unacceptable. So in anticipation of our next visit to Orlando (which was last week), I found this thread, printed out the tips, and read through it a few times before getting to the park.

I wasn't able to keep most of the specific target info in my head, but enough of it stuck that on my first ride through, I scored 377k. I realize that you all could do better than that with your eyes closed, but since that represented approximately a 750% improvement over my previous score, I was quite pleased.

But the best part of all was that it got me the suit! Yippee!
Having achieved that, my visit to Universal was complete, so I turned the rest of the park choices over to my husband, and everyone was happy.

I aim to improve on our next visit, but in the meantime, I'm enjoying the success of the moment.

So thanks all!

Congratulations, that's great! I too would like to thank all the folks who've done the research over the years and posted the hints. Many of us have had a lot more fun on the ride than we could have without your help.
jwt129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #757
jwt129
Earning My Ears

My target list for riding on the "outside track"

This may help people who have ridden the ride enough to be able to find the targets I briefly describe. So, these tips are more for experienced riders who are trying to improve their score. I'll use terminology that others have used before in talking about the areas and the targets, so it would help to go back and read the beginning of this thread started by MIB999999.

General comments - if you have the chance to go on the ride when it is not busy, that is the best time to learn and practice. If there aren't a lot of other laser dots confusing you, it is much easier to find where the sensors are and to improve your aim. You can also more easily hear the sound effects from the high value targets.

TRAINING AREA - (thanks to a ride operator for showing me newer, better targets in this area). My best score in Oct, 2012 was 192,XXX in the training area and I usually get about 120,000 or so. It is easier when you are alone. If the other riders aren't shooting at my targets, I'll shoot at only 2 targets for as long as I can.

#1: The target directly over the outside (left side) track. You will go right under it. Around 10 hits are possible. #2: Then go for the swinging target that is again right over the track ahead of you. You will pass under it just before you begin to curve to the right. I go for the upper sensor on this one and just keep hitting it. #3: Depending on your seat, you may be able to hit the target on the floor on your left side that moves toward you as you near it. I usually sit in the right rear seat and the other riders are in the way of this target. It's tough to get many hits on this target.

THE CRASH SITE AND TOWN AREA: I usually try to shoot all the way across the tracks to hit Frank on the other side, but I rarely hit him even once. The car on the other track has to get pretty close to Frank before he activates.

#1: Hit the sensor on the baby carriage (right where the top meets the base. this is where the baby pops up if you hit it). I think this is good for three hits.

#2: The alien on the fire hydrant in the middle between the tracks. It wasn't working on this trip, but I go for the sensor on the side of the snout/nose. I think this is good for at least a half dozen hits.

#2 b: If the fire hydrant is broken (very frequently), I shoot at the upper right hand window of the building on the left. It's a little past the fire hydrant. The two sensors are in the middle of the window. This is the one with horizontal blinds and an alien in the upper half.

#3: As soon as it becomes visible (sooner in the right side seats than the left), I shoot straight ahead and across both tracks at the second story window on the left side of the building ahead of you. The sensors are on the window divider. I don't think it matters, but I prefer the sensor on the left side. This is a pretty easy target to hit and I just stay on it until the car gets spun. I sometimes even manage to hit it while we are spinning. This target makes a "breaking glass" noise every time you hit it. This window is in the building to the left of the big alien at ground level that shoots at you and spins your car. Note that you do need cars ahead of you to activate this target early enough so that you can shoot at it before you've even passed the fire hydrant.

#4: If your gun and aim are really good then switch to the sensor on the "gun" that the tentacled alien in the second story of the building across the tracks from you is waving. If this is too difficult, then just keep shooting back at target #3.

#5: The alien in the last window before you go into the ambush. This is a 3D alien that lights up and (I think) raises up. It is across the tracks from you in the second story window. The sensors are on the window sill at the bottom of the window.

THE AMBUSH - My best score last week was about 820,000 going into the ambush. I'm satisfied with anything over 400,000, but prefer to be in the 500's or 600's.

Targets: NONE! I can't find any targets worth points (any more) in the ambush, so I either try to shoot way behind me at the second story window that has the curtains that open when you shoot it, or (if a car ahead of you left them active) I try to shoot at the eyes in the trees on the left side up ahead. regardless of lack of targets, don't forget to always hold down the trigger.

BEFORE THE SCAN: Shoot at the eyes in the trees on the left hand side. Whenever I've tested them, they were all the same value, but the ride techs definitely do make changes from time to time.

POST SCAN: If you are worried that no one else in your car will spin the opposing car, then quickly do it yourself. If you can rely on your car mates (or the opposing car is empty) then:

#1: Shoot the drop down bugs. They are worth more than the exhaust port on the opposing car. They aren't always working. I haven't seen the 2nd bug on the left hand track work in a long time. (I think this may be intentional to "equalize" the 2 tracks since the sensor in the ambush on the other track no longer works.) They do deactivate, so 3 hits or so is all you can expect.

#2: Any time they aren't spinning, shoot the exhaust port of the other cars.
I've gotten as many as 20 hits before, but you have to be in the correct seat (rear inside seat is good) AND you have to have a gun/port combination that is "happy". I've had runs where my gun (or the opposing car) just refuses to register hits on the exhaust port. This takes lots of practice and you just can't count on getting a lot of points from the exhaust port.

Alternate targets (the other car is spinning or it just won't register on exhaust ports) - THe eyes in the movie posters on the inside wall near the drop down bugs, then the single eye in the store window (low, left area of the window), then the parking meter eyes.

EATEN BY THE BUG: Don't forget your 100k bonus from the "big red button".

My earliest "max" was in the trees before the scan. Unfortunately, that run I just could not register exhaust port hits, so my efforts with a second gun didn't go well. My highest score on a second gun was 461,025 (including the 100k bonus, but only on the 2nd gun). I did have 3 other riders in the front row on that run.

I hope this helps some of you get over the plateau from being excellent to being able to 999,999 from time to time.

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #758
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

I learned a ride tip that probably everyone here knows but I am new to the Universal board and we just got back from our first trip there. If you want to ride again you go right towards the child swap at the top of the exit stairs instead of left to the gift shop. We had express passes so the attendant would put us right into the line. I don't know if it works if you don't have the pass and the line is long.

We actually stopped doing it one day when the wait was long because my Wife felt guilty! I maxed at 475K and change and she did a 350. Now I will read all these tips and do better next year.
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #759
cigar95
DIS weakest link

You're right that this tip will only work when the line is quite short - or it may also work if you have FOTL privileges. In that case, it saves you the time of walking out and around, but it can't be used to jump ahead of guests that you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to jump ahead of.

There is a similar tip that *will* work all the time. If you exit the attraction by the normal ramp to the left, shortly before reaching the gift shop you'll come to an ordinary-looking door on your right. Pretty sure it has a push bar on it. If you go out this door, you'll find yourself in the area for the single-rider line, and you can head back in with no questions asked.

This one doesn't save you as much walking, but it can be used pretty much all the time. Even if you don't want to use single rider, I think from this exit it's not difficult to get back to the regular entrance, so you've still saved a little bit of walking.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #760
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII

Does the trick work for Single Rider?

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #761
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
You're right that this tip will only work when the line is quite short - or it may also work if you have FOTL privileges. In that case, it saves you the time of walking out and around, but it can't be used to jump ahead of guests that you wouldn't otherwise be allowed to jump ahead of.

There is a similar tip that *will* work all the time. If you exit the attraction by the normal ramp to the left, shortly before reaching the gift shop you'll come to an ordinary-looking door on your right. Pretty sure it has a push bar on it. If you go out this door, you'll find yourself in the area for the single-rider line, and you can head back in with no questions asked.

This one doesn't save you as much walking, but it can be used pretty much all the time. Even if you don't want to use single rider, I think from this exit it's not difficult to get back to the regular entrance, so you've still saved a little bit of walking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralFloridian99 View Post
Does the trick work for Single Rider?
As a single rider I use that shortcut through child swap all the time to ride MiB over and over without having to go back through the long line. It was a CM who showed it to me and told me to use it. The CM that is standing there where the express pass and regular line merges, usually just laughs and says "You're back again?". He may hold me up for just a minute, but then sends me through either the single riders or sometimes just tells me to join the regular line there.

Just FYI: there is the same kind of shortcut through the child swap area over at Mummy also. A CM showed me that one too and told me as a single rider I could use it, instead of having to go all the way outside and back through the line again. It rounds up over where the Express Pass people board. However, that CM will usually only let you go through four times in a row, before telling you you have to go back outside and use single rider again, before starting over. lol
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #762
jwt129
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I usually take the route you describe as I like to walk a bit before getting back into the car. I like to recover from the spinning. It is much shorter than going through the store, (especially since they made the short path around the store into an emergency exit.) The door is on the right immediately after the double doors (which are often open when you get there) on the ramp. I think it is unlabelled except for an "EXIT" sign. It does have a push bar, and no alarm rings. It puts you into the single rider line right at the edge of the building and it is also very easy to get to the Express Pass line. My wife and I use the Express line when we ride together and stay at a Universal Resort Hotel. The "all day, repeat as many times as you like" Express Pass you get when staying at their hotels is a fantastic perk for MIB addicts.

When I am alone, the queue operator will eventually suggest that I just take the child swap line and then I'll do that (while walking slowly) just to be polite.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #763
screech27
Earning My Ears

Well I finally got the max score - 999,999 this past Saturday. I've been trying to do this for 6 months or so. I always scored around 100,000 each time, losing to my husband and 2 teens. I decided I wanted to show them Mom could do great too! So I read thru all this really well, even printed and brought to the park with me. I actually got the perfect score once on each side. But even with knowing where to shoot it is still very hard for me. I rode it easily 50 times in a row this Saturday - got there at 9 am when the park opened. The operators let me go thru the curtain that separates where you get off and on the ride. In about 3.5 hrs I finally achieved the perfect score 2 times. I also met someone who got the perfect score and he said while he does max out often it is hard. The ride is old, not all the guns work well, and many of the targets don't work or break often. And shooting the exhaust of the other car often doesn't register. It does require fairly good aim and to know where to shoot! When I showed them a picture of my score they announced it over the loud speaker that I was an official MIB Agent now and I got a 20% discount in the store. Yup, bought my official agent shirt. Very proud mom! Looking forward go going back and playing again, but now just for fun since I know I can max out if conditions are perfect and I get lucky!
screech27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #764
fflmaster
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Is there a post that sort of summarizes the best targets for maxing out the score?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #765
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech27 View Post
Well I finally got the max score - 999,999 this past Saturday. . . . .
Great job. Last year I did something similar - rode 33 times in a day, but only got up as high as 920k. I kept doing the baby swap to cut back through, but I only walked through the curtain when I was escorted by an off-duty TM who was giving me some training tips. (Hi Phamton!) And since I had stuff in a locker, I had to go out every two or three rides to swap lockers.

Since I live on the west coast, I only get to ride MiB maybe every three years or so. I wish we had it at Universal Hollywood.

This is my favorite ride in any park, and it's a shame that as time has gone on, it has really gone downhill. So many targets just not there any more, and guns that don't work properly. I had hoped that with last year's MiB 3 movie, it might have gotten some TLC.

fflmaster, most of the hints are still good in the first page of instructions, but you'll need to read through the whole thread to find out which targets have come and gone over the years. I did this a couple years ago, and took notes. I put all the best hints on a couple of laminated cards and wore them around my neck.

The best hint anyone gave me is to ride through once or twice without shooting - just look for the targets. Then go back and shoot for score.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: