Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #1471
Disney8704
I so need to do that!
I have 2 cats who LOVE to climb on top of EVERYTHING

AKL Cake ?

I to would like to know this info. Excepet I can answer 1 question for ya. As long as you are dining at Jiko or Boma they can deliver it to your table with no problems. What I would like to know is can they put an inscription, the price and I know they can deliver it to your room. Is it possible they could have it delivered before you checkin or do you need to checkin 1st? Or can they deliver it like the day we checkin, but if we leave the room to go to the parks for a lil bit, can they still deliver it to the room without us being there? This cake is for our anniversary and I wanna surprise DH with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre2th View Post
I think I'd like to have my son's birthday party at Boma in the evening and I'm looking at getting him one of those zebra cakes. If anyone has ordered one of these lately, please help me out.
Can you tell me what choices you had, can an inscription be placed on it, what's the cost, (was it $50 or $30)and do you think there would be a problem with having it delivered to our table?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:40 PM   #1472
Tootles
Mouseketeer

POTC Cake?

Looking for pics of Pirates of the Caribbean cakes! Anybody have any pictures of some great POTC works of art? Have to get one for my DS who will be turning 6 while we're there. He loves Captain Jack! Thanks all!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #1473
LadyRob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney8704 View Post
I to would like to know this info. Excepet I can answer 1 question for ya. As long as you are dining at Jiko or Boma they can deliver it to your table with no problems. What I would like to know is can they put an inscription, the price and I know they can deliver it to your room. Is it possible they could have it delivered before you checkin or do you need to checkin 1st? Or can they deliver it like the day we checkin, but if we leave the room to go to the parks for a lil bit, can they still deliver it to the room without us being there? This cake is for our anniversary and I wanna surprise DH with it.
I had a special order cake from AKL this past March. My choices were:

6 inch white
6 inch chocolate
6 inch zebra
Mickey cake (no inscription allowed)

I chose the zebra cake and the total was about $50 with gratuity or whatever they add to the price of the cake. Post #998 has a picture.

I called AKL one month before and was told to call back the day before I check in. The cake could only be delivered after I checked in but they would leave it if noone was in the room. HTH!

Aug '06 - AKL; Oct '06 - ASSp, Pop; Jan '07 - Pop (Half Marathon); March '07 - AKL, Wonder 4-Night; Nov '07 - Thanksgiving Grand Gathering;
June '08 - AKL, Dec '08 - Pop; May '09 - Girls Only Princess Weekend; Aug '09 - Cruisin' on the Magic; Jan '10 - Pop; March '10 - Royal Family 5k;
Dec '10 - Birthday Weekend; Jan '11 - Dream preview cruise; Feb '11 - Dream 3-night; May '11 - Dream 3-night; Oct '11 - Dream 3-night;
Oct '12 - POR; Nov '12 - Dream 3-night; Feb '13 - AKL; May '13 - Pop; June '13 - Dream 3-night; July '13 - Dream 3-night . . . Plus many more!

Me DBF DD18 DD9 FINALLY PLATINUM!
Old 06-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #1474
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootles View Post
Looking for pics of Pirates of the Caribbean cakes! Anybody have any pictures of some great POTC works of art? Have to get one for my DS who will be turning 6 while we're there. He loves Captain Jack! Thanks all!
Page 2 has one, it's photo 18C.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
Old 06-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #1475
Sabre2th
Sabre2th

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRob View Post
I had a special order cake from AKL this past March. My choices were:

6 inch white
6 inch chocolate
6 inch zebra
Mickey cake (no inscription allowed)

I chose the zebra cake and the total was about $50 with gratuity or whatever they add to the price of the cake. Post #998 has a picture.

I called AKL one month before and was told to call back the day before I check in. The cake could only be delivered after I checked in but they would leave it if noone was in the room. HTH!
Thank you for the info LadyRob.
I see the inside of your cake was yellow; did you get to choose that and did you get to choose whether or to have custard or fruit fillings inside the cake as well?
OCT 2007 US/IOA I-DRIVE
FEB 2011 WDW CARIBBEAN BEACH

DH DW DS DS
Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #1476
Sabre2th
Sabre2th

Delivering to French Quarter

OK! I'm determined to get at least one REALLY nice cake while we're there this fall!
Has anyone ever had a cake delivered to a room there at French Quarter?
Or does anyone at least know which Bakery would make a cake to be delivered to Franch Quarter.

How about this idea.
We already plan to have breakfast at the 1900 Fare on Alex's birthday anyway. 10:40 is almost lunch time I guess, so I could have a cake delivered to our table there; from what I can tell GF does have some pretty good cakes to choose from, but what would happen to the left-overs? Will they provide me a box to take the cake with me?
OCT 2007 US/IOA I-DRIVE

DH DW DS DS
Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #1477
LadyRob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you for the info LadyRob.
I see the inside of your cake was yellow; did you get to choose that and did you get to choose whether or to have custard or fruit fillings inside the cake as well?
No, I didn't get to choose. I think the cakes are pre-made.

Aug '06 - AKL; Oct '06 - ASSp, Pop; Jan '07 - Pop (Half Marathon); March '07 - AKL, Wonder 4-Night; Nov '07 - Thanksgiving Grand Gathering;
June '08 - AKL, Dec '08 - Pop; May '09 - Girls Only Princess Weekend; Aug '09 - Cruisin' on the Magic; Jan '10 - Pop; March '10 - Royal Family 5k;
Dec '10 - Birthday Weekend; Jan '11 - Dream preview cruise; Feb '11 - Dream 3-night; May '11 - Dream 3-night; Oct '11 - Dream 3-night;
Oct '12 - POR; Nov '12 - Dream 3-night; Feb '13 - AKL; May '13 - Pop; June '13 - Dream 3-night; July '13 - Dream 3-night . . . Plus many more!

Me DBF DD18 DD9 FINALLY PLATINUM!
Old 06-23-2007, 01:37 AM   #1478
DisneyLovingRN
Mouseketeer

Now.. this may contradict things LadyRob said, but I'll throw in my fairly current experience with ordering a cake from AKL (well Boma). We had ordered one for our mini-trip this past may. When we called we spoke with Jose - one of the chefs there. We asked if we could get a 6 inch cake - he said yes and told us we could customize it anyway that we wanted it. We had ordered a yellow cake with buttercream icing on the top - but it had the strawberry custard filling inside and some strawberries on the top. He said that it was fine. We told him the day and time we wanted to pick it up and everything was set -- Now, we had some issues with the whole cake thing when we went to pick it up -- it was A. Not ready - we waited over an hour for it - granted, our server was VERY apologetic and B. We get back to our resort to cut the cake and it was chocolate inside! I don't really care for chocolate cake - plus, we had SPECIFICALLY asked for yellow cake. My thought was that he took everything down correctly (my husband saw the sheet when our server confirmed what was to be written on the cake) but that the kitchen was in such a hurry that it got thrown together that morning. Anyways, we made a phone call and our money was refunded, and I felt they handled that well.

Okay, that's my story. I'm done I swear. I'll post pics of the cake later after I get home. Even though it was messed up, it still was pretty. Haha. ANyways, I hope I answered a couple of questions about what Boma can do.
1/11 - OKW | 5/11 - AKV | 7/11 - Pop | 9/11 - ASMusic | 10/11 - DL/HHN | 12/11 - PoR | 1/12 - AKV | 5/12 - Aulani | 7/12 - VWL | 9/12 - DCL Western&CSR |10/12 - AsSp/HHN |
1/13 - DCL & AKV | 5/13 - WBPC - DCL | 7/12-17/13 - DH Bday Trip! - AKV | 10/2013 - Group Trip/Food&Wine/HHN |

When I'm at Walt Disney World, I'm home
Old 06-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #1479
Sabre2th
Sabre2th

We get back to our resort to cut the cake and it was chocolate inside!

A chocolate cake with strawberries! Now THAT'S the kinda cake I would like!
Last night my DS (I guess that's what we call our male children here) was looking over my shoulder as I scanned over many of the pictures listed here. I showed him the picture of LadyRob's cake and asked him if he wanted one like it for his birthday.
He has severe autism, so getting straight forward answers from him is rare, but he quickly corrected me and said, "Mickey". Well once I cleared everything up and even found a picture of a Mickey cake for him to point to he made it clear, that's the one he wants.
So having gone though all this over the zebra cake, I now find out that I'll probably end up getting a Mickey cake after all. Gee I hope they come in chocolate.
OCT 2007 US/IOA I-DRIVE

DH DW DS DS
Old 06-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #1480
cheerbop
DIS Veteran

We are going in September.
We want to order a cake, but want an "excuse" to do it.
In early Oct is our son's 10th b-day, but maybe it is too soon to get him a cake there?
It is also the first visit for my parents at WDW....would ordering a cake for their first visit be odd?
My other childrens' bdays are in Mar and Dec and then our Anniv is at the end of June (our 15th!!) and my parents' anniv is in Feb.
So, what "occasion" could I use as an excuse for a cake, in your opinion?!

(DH) (ME)
(DS-16) (DS-10) (DS-7) (DS-4)
Old 06-23-2007, 09:27 AM   #1481
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Sabre2th I hope that Mickey cake is available in chocolate for your son!

cheerbop I am the same position as you are! I just HAVE GOT to order a cake for my summer vacation - all these pics and stories are too tempting! I might get a cake for DD (11) and her friend (9), for our first night's dinner. Thinking about asking the bakery to write "Welcome to Walt Disney World" and their names
A Disney vacation is reason enough for a celebration, don't you think?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:42 AM   #1482
Poohbear67
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbop View Post
We are going in September.
We want to order a cake, but want an "excuse" to do it.
In early Oct is our son's 10th b-day, but maybe it is too soon to get him a cake there?
It is also the first visit for my parents at WDW....would ordering a cake for their first visit be odd?
My other childrens' bdays are in Mar and Dec and then our Anniv is at the end of June (our 15th!!) and my parents' anniv is in Feb.
So, what "occasion" could I use as an excuse for a cake, in your opinion?!
heck no that is not to early remember your at the most magical place on earth! All your dreams come true here remember???

We will be coming down in Sept. also and both us are celebrating our birthday (mine was in March and his in August) and our 3rd ann. together(not married or engaged ) so this is the only time we can take a vacation together and celebrate so we are blowing it out big time, go and enjoy your CAKE. what is that old saying you can't have your cake and eat it too well I have to dissagree at Disney you CAN have your cake and eat it tooo.

April "08" AKL
April "08"Pop Century April "08"
MNSSHP Sept. "08"
Pop Century Sept. "08"
All Star Music Dec. "07"
Pop Century Mojito Gang "07"
MNSSHP Sept. 14th "07
AK Sept. "06"
All Star Sports Sept. "06"
Old 06-23-2007, 12:37 PM   #1483
Sabre2th
Sabre2th

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear67 View Post
heck no that is not to early remember your at the most magical place on earth! All your dreams come true here remember???

We will be coming down in Sept. also and both us are celebrating our birthday (mine was in March and his in August) and our 3rd ann. together(not married or engaged ) so this is the only time we can take a vacation together and celebrate so we are blowing it out big time, go and enjoy your CAKE. what is that old saying you can't have your cake and eat it too well I have to dissagree at Disney you CAN have your cake and eat it tooo.
I've thought about just ordering one fairly good sized cake, and simply have, "CELEBRATING THE MAGIC" written on it. That idea might work for you too.
OCT 2007 US/IOA I-DRIVE

DH DW DS DS
Old 06-23-2007, 03:53 PM   #1484
Sabre2th
Sabre2th

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Sabre2th I hope that Mickey cake is available in chocolate for your son!

cheerbop I am the same position as you are! I just HAVE GOT to order a cake for my summer vacation - all these pics and stories are too tempting! I might get a cake for DD (11) and her friend (9), for our first night's dinner. Thinking about asking the bakery to write "Welcome to Walt Disney World" and their names
A Disney vacation is reason enough for a celebration, don't you think?
I think you've got the perfect idea, cheerbop!
The good thing about getting the cake the first night is that you can nibble on it during your stay. Ning would hurt worse than to have a lovely cake only to leave half of it behind!

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do about my cake(s) yet. I do think that early next week however, I'll start making a few phone calls to WDW and find out more of what my options are. I'll be sure to pass along any new or intersting information I may get though.
OCT 2007 US/IOA I-DRIVE

DH DW DS DS
Old 06-23-2007, 04:04 PM   #1485
mika911
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think you've got the perfect idea, cheerbop!
The good thing about getting the cake the first night is that you can nibble on it during your stay. Ning would hurt worse than to have a lovely cake only to leave half of it behind!

I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do about my cake(s) yet. I do think that early next week however, I'll start making a few phone calls to WDW and find out more of what my options are. I'll be sure to pass along any new or intersting information I may get though.
Yep. I going to get mine day 1, and I'm taking a bakery box in case they don't give me one. And I'm just going to get buttercream, so it won't melt, though I guess if you got whipped cream you could cut slices, put them on paper plates in your luggage, cover them, and put them in the fridge. I did that at DL once with a birthday cake I had ordered locally and took with me. ha-ha.

Question: How much does the delivery usually cost, if you get it for your room? Like 18 percent plus a delivery fee of a few dollars?

Thanks~!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: