Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 12:55 PM   #871
RayaniFoxmur
Don't try to make me sell any more sausage. I won't do it!
I love not being the only crazy one!

So just a quick update I'm LIVID with their birthday line at the moment for the MK.

She called back and I was in the bath so she left a message since FH didn't answer the phone since it was unlisted. Of course in the message she went into great detail about what I had left a message about, so now what was supposed to be a surprise he knows.

Then she went on to tell me that since there's only two of us we need to just go ahead and tell them at the podium so we can get a small cake that won't be personalized.

Then she said goodbye.

I'm so mad about it... a surprised ruined and because there's just two of us she doesn't want us buying an 8 inch cake? What the heck?!

1992 - Poly * 1993 - Poly * 2006/2007 - POFQ NYE! Engaged at Epcot! * March 2007 - Poly * September 2007 - AKL * October 2007 - Our Disney Honeymoon! Grand Floridian, Disney Magic, and POFQ! * March 2008 - Old Key West * September 2008 - Old Key West * September 2008 to January 2013 - Living across the street! * September 2010 - Offsite * October 2011 - POFQ
Old 02-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #872
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

I thought the Grand Floridian Bakery was very rude.
We asked if we could pick up a cake from their bakery and take it to a restaurant and the woman said no, thats strictly prohibited. We don't sell to the general public. Where are you planning on eating when you'd like a cake?
I told her I didn't know yet, we had not made reservations for our "cake" night. After that she pretty much got smart with me and gave me a lecture on not to even ask for a cake at all if we didn't have reservations yet.
So needless to say, I'm cakeless, I have no idea if I'm even going to get a Birthday cake from anywhere and have a place to eat it, and I'll never be incontact with the GF Bakery again.
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #873
Lostgirlz
DIS Veteran

I had the same thing with GF I wanted to order a suprise cake for dh during our honeymoon in the pirates thee, and they WERE NOT helpfull. Offered me some basic logo they shipped in from Cali. I told them I wanted the theme set around Jack and asked what they could do, and basically was given NO kind of creative ideas from them at all. They also said I could only get chocolate cake/filling, or vanilla cake/filling for 6in, and 8in. I read on here others got a filling and cake shoice with the 8 in, but the baker told me NO he would not do that, and that I would have to order a much larger cake. I was baffled at the treatment to say the least. It was like they honestly did not want to bother with me order. I know I could get a jack sparrow cake from them nicer than what they offered cause I saw a pic of another posters pirate cake with an edible pic of jack on it, and they NEVER offered me anything of the sort. I was very displeased with the just utter lack of concern to help a customer. I expected more from GF cause they are supposed to be number one in bakerys, but yet the baker had NOTHING to offer me in what his talents were able to do. Sorry, but I want a custom cake not a basic chocolate on chocolate, or vanilla on vanilla. I just ended up not even ordering a cake which I regret, but they were not helpfull. My dh did surprise or tried I should say to surprise me with the mini wedding cake during our 1900 breakfast only to have them say oh we are sorry, but your cake is not done I was like huh? Then they had to get a manager to figure out what to do, and also asked us if we could wait 30 mins. We had already finished and paid for our breakfast by the time, and needed to be at a show. They finally figured out a solution to it, but the surprise and all was ruined, and I have to saw while the cake was pretty, the icing was slick like crisco, and it was ALL filling basically and very very little cake. I ate less than half of it as it was very very bland in flavor. It was sweet of him, but I wouldnt order it again. I think the GF is starting to only want to do weddings, or people staying in the resort it seems. Also it seems they are not allowing their 8 inch cakes as mentioned on here before to have filling choices. Just not what I expected from them. Sorry for my rant
Old 02-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #874
Lostgirlz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGirlie View Post
I thought the Grand Floridian Bakery was very rude.
We asked if we could pick up a cake from their bakery and take it to a restaurant and the woman said no, thats strictly prohibited. We don't sell to the general public. Where are you planning on eating when you'd like a cake?
I told her I didn't know yet, we had not made reservations for our "cake" night. After that she pretty much got smart with me and gave me a lecture on not to even ask for a cake at all if we didn't have reservations yet.
So needless to say, I'm cakeless, I have no idea if I'm even going to get a Birthday cake from anywhere and have a place to eat it, and I'll never be incontact with the GF Bakery again.
We were dining at 1900 for breakfast, and the lady made a hmmph kind of noise at it, saying oh that's a buffet. She tried talking me out of it, and then the baker proceeded to tell me I couldnt customize flavors on an 8 inch which was way bigger than I needed anyway, but i wanted it custom. They arent helpful there, and acted like it was more of a bother to them. You may want to try boardwalk bakery they do cakes, although a bit expensive at least the 2 we saw in the glass counter were 50 dollars for Small round ones, but you can pick up from them, also call magic kingom bakery they might be able to help also.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #875
DisneyGirlie
DIS Veteran

Thanks Lostgirlz.
I just think overall the GF Bakery is not a very friendly place.
The also didn't offer me any help as far as who excatly to cal that could serve my needs.
I was thinking of trying the Boardwalk Bakery. I like the Mickey Mouse shaped cake.
1994-2004 Off-site * Spring 2005 Caribbean Beach- Martinique * Spring 2006 All-Star Movies- Fantasia * Nov. 18- Nov. 24 2006 Pop Century- '50s * March 2nd-7th 2007 Pop Century- '80s * Oct. 12- Oct. 17th 2007 Pop Century- '60s * Feb. 2- Feb. 8th 2008 Polynesian- Hawaii*Sept. 27th-Oct. 3rd 2008 Grand Floridian- Boca Chica*Dec. 13- Dec 17th 2008 Port Orleans Riverside- Oak Manor*May 16- May 23rd 2009 Beach Club Resort*Aug. 10-Aug. 13th 2009 Pop Century- '50s.*Dec. 10- Dec. 13th 2009 Yacht Club Resort*March 6-10th 2010 Contemporary MK View*July 31st- Aug 7th 2010 Contemporary MK View
October 27-October 30 2010 Pop Century*Animal Kingdom Lodge- Dec. 11-16th 2010*June 8th-13th 2011 Coronado Springs- Cabanas.* Fall Advantage College Program 6/11-1/12*Boardwalk Inn August 2012*October 2012 All-Star Sports*January 2013 Port Orleans French Quarter*1/21/13-8/13 Spring Advantage College Program
Old 02-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #876
The Sweetness
Queen of her castle

Here's what I think I'll try. A month before my ADR, I will call 'Ohana, the place where we will be on the eve on my girlfriends b/day. I will ask if theres anything special they can do, such as table decorations (confetti etc) and ask if we could have a window seat. (our res is for opening at 5PM) I will also ask them what they have to offer in the way of cakes, and I will take what I can get. I am sure we will have a wonderfull meal, no matter what

Those GF ppl sound like real jack-holes, anyway

Old 02-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #877
luvhockey
Mouseketeer

Ok, so after perusing this thread for a few hours it seems that some things have changed over the past months (namely the GF and their attitude).

So unless you are staying or eating at the GF you get nothing from their bakery. Is this correct? And noone else makes the various standup decorations such as choc plaques, statues or castle?

The MK bakery will deliver cakes to the park restaurants. The boardwalk bakery will deliver to resorts. Did I get this straight?

I'm interested in the Mickey Head cake for my DS who will be 6 but don't know if I want it delivered to CM for breakfast or to POR resort for later that afternoon when we take a break. I'm leaning toward the resort delivery.

DH & I will be celebrating our anniv at Le Cellier ALONE (woohoo) and I'd love something like the slipper or maybe a Mickey/Minnie plaque or statue. We wouldn't need another cake.

TIA
Angela
Old 02-25-2007, 08:17 PM   #878
Remember The Magic
Mouseketeer

I had excellent dealings with the GF bakery and I'm sorry to hear about some peoples bad experiences.

"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing-that it was all started by a mouse". Walt Disney
Old 02-25-2007, 08:32 PM   #879
sajetto
Wedding Pavilion Bride 2007
I could eat Pad Thai everyday
I was gonna put Val Kilmer next

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember The Magic View Post
I had excellent dealings with the GF bakery and I'm sorry to hear about some peoples bad experiences.
I had a great experience with the too, that's such a shame.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #880
Lostgirlz
DIS Veteran

No boardwalk will not deliver anywhere you will have to pick it up. As for GF I just did not call once but 3 times, and spoke to 3 different people all treated me in the same fashion that I was a bother, and why the heck was I trying to order from them when I was NOT staying with them. I even got told to call my own resort (which I did before I even called them). The attitude was VERY negative, for a bakery who is supposed to do such GRAND things I was NOT offered jack in the way of ideas. Yes, I said very nicely to the man I understand they only do custom cakes which is what I WANTED. I gave the baker the theme, what I wanted it set around, and said what can you do. in exact words here is what I got (We got some sugar logos, and a tiny box in from california I guess we could put on there) I was like ummm can you do more of what I wanted more set around Jack, like the edible picture I have seen on this thread, but nope nothing was offered but that. Then He told me he could only let me do chocolate/chocolate filling, or vanilla/vanilla filling. I said sir I thought you could customize an 8inch even though this was MORE than 2 people needed I wanted a special cake, and let them know at the start of the convo I wanted something unique and very special. He said no you are going to have to order a much larger cake then you can choose cake flavors/fillings. I said ok sir how much is the 10inch he said it starts between 50-60 dollars cake alone, then 25 each deco I choose or more dpending on the deco, but the decos he named were 25 each. I was in shock as this is not what I had read on the thread. I read you could get an8 in customized, but was told no when I asked. I also asked if we have the cake served during our breakfast at 1900 if they would at least hold the cake and we pick it back up that afternoon after the parks, before going to the hotel to get ready for dinner, again i was told no they will box it and it will be fine being toted around the parks all day. It got to be so much trouble, and such a non happy experience for me that it lost it's magic, and I thanked them and said I would think about it. I never did order a surprise cake for him from them, and I hate it, but after going through 3 different people all of which offered no help and treated me in a manner I was not expecting from them I was not going to bother with them.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:18 PM   #881
beattyfamily
DIS Cast Member
Has Oodles of Poodles
And the Tag Fairy wants to hug them all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvhockey View Post
So unless you are staying or eating at the GF you get nothing from their bakery. Is this correct? And noone else makes the various standup decorations such as choc plaques, statues or castle?
That's right. GF only caters to their customers; guests and restaurant guests. Although 'some' have had success ordering a cake through Cont or Poly and getting a cake that way from GF bakery but there is no guarantee.

Quote:
The MK bakery will deliver cakes to the park restaurants.
That's right.

Quote:
The boardwalk bakery will deliver to resorts. Did I get this straight?
No, they don't deliver to any resorts. If you are staying at the Boardwalk or the Beach Club then anything you order through THEM will be made and come from the Boardwalk bakery. Otherwise, you'd have to pick anything up you order from them.

Quote:
I'm interested in the Mickey Head cake for my DS who will be 6 but don't know if I want it delivered to CM for breakfast or to POR resort for later that afternoon when we take a break. I'm leaning toward the resort delivery.
I don't know of any Disney bakery that will deliver to POR. You can call POR and if they have any options for cakes for you but I doubt it.

Quote:
DH & I will be celebrating our anniv at Le Cellier ALONE (woohoo) and I'd love something like the slipper or maybe a Mickey/Minnie plaque or statue. We wouldn't need another cake.
I don't know of anyone having luck getting the slipper or Mickey statue at Le Cellier. In fact, when I called them to order a birthday cake for my DD, they flat out told me their only option is a frozen, generic 6 inch cake. That's it. Call them yourself though to check and see what they can do as you never know. That's my advice.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #882
buzzbuzz21
i love mickey waffles!

Hi i am heading to WDW in april and it is my sisters birthday. We are going to CRT for dinner and so will be ordering a cake through them, i saw the numbers on the first pages of the thread. The thread is soo long though, that i haven't time to search all the pages! Would they put a picture of the rescuers on the cake, this is her alltime fav disney movie, also how far before the dinner do we need to phone and order the cake? thanks very much for any help

Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #883
Longsx3
DIS Veteran

I have to say I am getting really nervous about ordering custom cakes for our trip this summer! I will need to order 2 for our Wishes Cruise, one for DD and the other for DNiece. I have ordered custom desserts/cakes before and never had a problem but lately I have read of a lot of unhappy customers.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM   #884
Dis31
My middle name is Rice Krispy

Hey
Does anyone know what would be the best way to get a birthday cake while staying at POR? Ill go pick it up if i have to but what would be the easiest/ best way? Does boatwrights make cakes? We wouldnt eat theree but could i jsut pick it up?

Thanks alot
WL ~06
YC~06
POR July 06
SURPISE trip(SHH) Beach Club concierge LV August 06
BOOed by galligan4 Thanks!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...2571/event.png
Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #885
Tracey868
Earning My Ears

Has anyone done a special cake from Caliifornia Grill????

6' for 12.50 seems worth it

Tracey
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: