Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Holiday Disasters

So, I usually don't have any disasters but occasionally they strike and it's almost funny to me how bad it goes. Mine usually involve food/cooking. For instance, one Christmas my oven heating element blew out 30 minutes into the cooking of the roast.

Today: The first thing that happened was that I was cooking a breakfast quiche and it was sitting on a cookie sheet. I had warmed the cookie sheet prior, but about 5 minutes after putting it in, the sheet warped and much of the filling seeped over one side of the pie plate.

Then I was making a full box of Belgian Waffle Mix. Added the mix, the oil, the water, and was adding in my four eggs. Cracked open the very last egg into the bowl and the whole thing was full of blood. I have never seen anything like this. I could not get it out of the bowl and it just spread all over the place. Disgusting. No waffles.

My mom asked for help on the prime rib today but I told her I just needed to stay away from food today.

Anything happen to YOU today?

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Yuck. Bloody waffles. I would have thrown them out too.

So far, so good this year. But one year I forgot to turn on the oven after I put in the turkey and didn't realize it until later that morning. I had to throw it out. Another time I forgot all about the sweet potato casserole cooking in the oven until I could smell it. By that time it was too late.
Bluestars is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #3
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
So, I usually don't have any disasters but occasionally they strike and it's almost funny to me how bad it goes. Mine usually involve food/cooking. For instance, one Christmas my oven heating element blew out 30 minutes into the cooking of the roast.

Today: The first thing that happened was that I was cooking a breakfast quiche and it was sitting on a cookie sheet. I had warmed the cookie sheet prior, but about 5 minutes after putting it in, the sheet warped and much of the filling seeped over one side of the pie plate.

Then I was making a full box of Belgian Waffle Mix. Added the mix, the oil, the water, and was adding in my four eggs. Cracked open the very last egg into the bowl and the whole thing was full of blood. I have never seen anything like this. I could not get it out of the bowl and it just spread all over the place. Disgusting. No waffles.

My mom asked for help on the prime rib today but I told her I just needed to stay away from food today.

My sympathies. In home ec in 7th grade (eons ago....), my teacher told us to always crack eggs individually in a separate bowl and add them to the main bowl afterward because of that. I never have done that, and have only had a problem once, but I think about that nearly every time I break an egg!

No major problems today. Last week I pulled my oven thermometer out and found out that the oven was about 25 degrees hot, which explained a lot of my cooking "challenges" of late. Everything today has been fine.

DH bought a meat thermometer for me for Christmas, and I'm using it for the prime rib -- it's the coolest thing -- has a lead into the meat, the monitor is outside of the oven, and it has an alarm for when the meat hits the right temperature. I'm so excited about it!!

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesmurfs View Post
My sympathies. In home ec in 7th grade (eons ago....), my teacher told us to always crack eggs individually in a separate bowl and add them to the main bowl afterward because of that. I never have done that, and have only had a problem once, but I think about that nearly every time I break an egg!
I think that is a great tip. I've been cooking for 30 years and have never once had that happen. Well, I have had an odd egg here and there that had a speck of blood in it. This was just .

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #5
EMom
Comes from a long line of all fork hole pokers
I had the auburn haired Chrissy doll whose hair grew. She lost most of it in an incense fire. Don't ask

When we first married, we had a lot of blown glass and crystal ornaments. Gorgeous. Got one cat and she left the tree alone. Got a second cat and when it was half grown, Christmas came around. She loved to climb the artificial tree and I kept pulling her out. Finally, the tree had enough and just crumpled, crashing to the ground and taking a lot of glass/crystal with it. What a mess. Our tree was taken to the curb, I went to the store and got cheap unbreakable ornaments, we bought a real tree and we made it through that year. Once she grew up, she never attacked the tree again.
EMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #6
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So far Ok. However, we downsized 10 yrs ago and Dh & I in the same kitchen at the same time.. well anything goes! I'll chime in later..

Merry Christmas all.
NFLDERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #7
gracie1
DIS Veteran

I never knew that eggs could be full of blood. I've never had one so I guess that's why I didn't know this has made me want to use a separate bowl from here on out!
gracie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #8
tigercat
Cook, clean and foot massage. Boy that sounds like heaven!
I dislocated my jaw when I ate a piece of lettuce

I have always cracked my eggs one at a time in a seperate bowl. I have been glad that I do that a couple of times.

No disasters this year especially since it is just the 4 of us for dinner. I have made enough though so that if my one daughter and her husband and kids come for dinner I don't have to cook. Not sure now as it seems that her husband and son have been home all day sick.

tigercat
tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
maslex
DIS Veteran

I guess not so much of a disaster but I was still

We had dinner at my SIL's house. When my DS17 and I left her house, we had to stop by my house to pick something up really quick and then head over to my brother's house. So we get to my house, he brings in all the left overs, the gifts, etc. Comes back outside and we leave. A few hours later I get back home to see that he left the leftovers on the table. He never put them in the fridge!!! Aarrggghhh!!! Other than that, the day went fine.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:31 PM   #10
NFLDERS
DIS Veteran

Update from upthread. Everything went well. I'm a bit surprised as there was not alot of sleep during the night; We had a thunderstorm and 90 km hr winds here in Niagara, Ontario. Canada.
NFLDERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #11
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Worst issue here was the turkey breast was not done by dinner so we had leftover ham instead.

DB & his family had a mishap though. They went to Christmas Eve service and snuck out during communion. They got home to find SIL left her purse under the pew and had to go back for it. DB said it taught them a lesson.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:12 AM   #12
indimom
Are We There Yet?

No disasters this year.

About 20 years ago, I tried my hand at Pecan Fingers for the first time. These are a layered bar cookie that my mom has always made. The bottom layer is really flaky and the top layer is chewy.
I got through the bottom layer fine. When I mixed the top layer, it seemed really dry, but I double checked the recipe and everything looked fine.
When they were done, I knew something had gone wrong, the top layer was as dry and flaky as the bottom.
I scoured that recipe, over and over and over, trying to figure out where I went wrong. Just couldn't figure it out. I tossed the entire pan into the trash.
Several hours later I was walking through the kitchen and glanced at the recipe card still laying on the counter. I clearly noted a "T" on the card. I knew I hadn't added Tablespoons of anything to the recipe and took a closer look to see what I missed: Flour.
Then it all came together. When I was making the cookies, I saw flour, and my brain just went straight to "cups".....
I overdosed that top layer with two cups of flour, when it was supposed to have 2 tablespoons. lol. No wonder it was so dry.

January 2017.
indimom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Not a cooking related disaster, but just sort of a "kids will be kids" funny. We had our extended family over for Christmas Eve (a tradition in my husband's family). We exchanged gifts, but only with the kids. The adults gave that up years ago!

Anyway, I got my niece and nephew a "day out" at the Mall of America as their gift...amusement park, snacks, aquarium visit...the works. I'm certain they will have a BLAST. But, of course, it's not quite as "shiny" as a plastic piece of garbage toy. I DID add a small toy to each package so there would be "something" to play with that night. The look on my niece's face when she opened the gift was priceless. I expected it, and wasn't offended, of course, but it was pretty funny. She is 6. Then, she opened the gift from my BIL, which was a VERY nice pair of rollerblades, and her face sunk even further because 'they aren't pink.' LOL (BIL DID look for pink ones, but apparently such are only available in the "toy" version and not in quality skates, which is what he wanted to get her).

It was just one of those things, and it caused the adults to chuckle all night long. There was tremendous build up to the "big event" of opening the presents by this niece, and I KNEW that nothing was going to live up to her expectations.
mnrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 08:56 AM   #14
quandrea
DIS Veteran

How's this for a big one? My brother and I recently had a falling out. My father is angry at me about it. He and my mother usually spend Christmas Eve at my home with my Dh and three small children. He refused to come and didn't allow my mother to attend. The children were devastated.
quandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think that is a great tip. I've been cooking for 30 years and have never once had that happen. Well, I have had an odd egg here and there that had a speck of blood in it. This was just .
When we were baking cookies the other day I told my daughter to break it into a bowl first. She asked why and all I could come up with was because she might need to pick out some shell. I definitely need to share your story with her now.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: