Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
Jeff in BigD
Totally Oldschool DISer!
On the DIS we're Friends and this is Central Perk..just don't call me Gunther!
aka Rico Suave
Knows the value of a cyber twinkie or two

Opinions - Is It The Same?

Last night my wife was mentioning that someone she worked with (as a client) was fired for failing a random drug test. I asked if it was one of the "serious drugs" or just pot. She didn't know.

Her opinion is that it's illegal, so it's pretty much the same thing as cocaine, meth, etc.
My opinion is that while it is illegal & a potential liability for company, I don't think pot is equitable with other illegal narcotics. Kind of like the registered sex offender who was a senior in high school who slept with their freshman girlfriend/boyfriend (where in different states it's completely legal) vs. the registered sex offender who is a child molester.

Do you think of pot on the same level as other narcotics?

Would you feel the same way if it became legal?

What are your thoughts on trying something that is legal in a place you're visiting when it's illegal where you live?

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese"
Jeff in BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
Jeff in BigD
Totally Oldschool DISer!
On the DIS we're Friends and this is Central Perk..just don't call me Gunther!
aka Rico Suave
Knows the value of a cyber twinkie or two

I should add:
My wife grew up pretty sheltered & has never tried anything beyond alcohol. I wasn't nearly as sheltered, but for a long time I felt pot should be illegal. I never tried it until I was in my late 20s & most of my dabbling took place in CA where it's legal(ish).

My take away was that it wasn't really my thing, but I don't think it should be illegal. If s/he broke company policy & didn't have medical prescription, then termination seems appropriate, but I still don't see it as being on the same level as other narcotics.

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese"
Jeff in BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

My opinion is that pot is not nearly as serious as the other drugs mentioned.

I do understand though that if the requirement is to be drug-free for a specific job, then the drug doesn't matter.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in BigD View Post
Last night my wife was mentioning that someone she worked with (as a client) was fired for failing a random drug test. I asked if it was one of the "serious drugs" or just pot. She didn't know.

Her opinion is that it's illegal, so it's pretty much the same thing as cocaine, meth, etc.
My opinion is that while it is illegal & a potential liability for company, I don't think pot is equitable with other illegal narcotics. Kind of like the registered sex offender who was a senior in high school who slept with their freshman girlfriend/boyfriend (where in different states it's completely legal) vs. the registered sex offender who is a child molester.

Do you think of pot on the same level as other narcotics?

Would you feel the same way if it became legal?

What are your thoughts on trying something that is legal in a place you're visiting when it's illegal where you live?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in BigD View Post
I should add:
My wife grew up pretty sheltered & has never tried anything beyond alcohol. I wasn't nearly as sheltered, but for a long time I felt pot should be illegal. I never tried it until I was in my late 20s & most of my dabbling took place in CA where it's legal(ish).

My take away was that it wasn't really my thing, but I don't think it should be illegal. If s/he broke company policy & didn't have medical prescription, then termination seems appropriate, but I still don't see it as being on the same level as other narcotics.
First time I have ever heard that never trying illegal drugs = sheltered.

Though I agree with your "sheltered" wife, to me it doesn't matter.
Company has a policy and employee did not adhere to it.

But I'm "sheltered" as well. One time came across someone smoking a joint and ran home. Didn't tell anyone. But knew it was illegal and it wasn't a cigarette and had no desire to have a cop bring me home to my parents. My helicopter parents never taught me. We had a cop do a presentation at school and it was the height of the Just Say no campaign. And it just always stuck with me. Darn that school and Nancy Reagan for sheltering me.
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

I understand the reasons for drug testing and folks losing their jobs for testing positive. Until pot is legal, then it will be lumped in with the other drugs.

BUT, I have see first hand the effects of the "serious" drugs. Meth being one of the worst around here. It completely ruins lives and everyone around the addict.

Pills can be devastating to the family of the addict too.

So, I do think there is a difference.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Stitch69
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa loves Pooh View Post
First time I have ever heard that never trying illegal drugs = sheltered.
Where did you hear that?
Stitch69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I'd probably prefer my forklift drivers on coke or meth than booze or pot.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:41 PM   #8
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I'd probably prefer my forklift drivers on coke or meth than booze or pot.
Well, being that the meth head could suddenly decide that you are trying to turn him in and run over you with said forklift, I think I would choose the one on pot. Meth makes a person very, very paranoid and they will actually be afraid enough to take action to protect themselves from the imagined danger. Plus they have no idea what they are doing nor will they have memory of it.

OP, I forgot the legal part. I do think pot should be made legal. Its no more dangerous than alcohol and would allow the cops to quit chasing the bag of weed and start concentrating on more serious drugs.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #9
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

We term at least one person almost every time the random comes up. I do not agree with doing randoms. If employees are at work impaired with anything legal or illegal then they should be tested.
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
JanaDee
DIS Veteran

I agree with your wife.
JanaDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

I really don't categorize something illegal by degrees of seriousness. Illegal, is illegal. If I don't like the law, I can work to change it. So yes I consider marijuana the same way, and it is practically legal here in California now, and that doesn't change my outlook. Never tried something illegal here somewhere it is legal.
Hey, I lived in a dorm in college, so I was around it. I've worked in Broadcasting for 39 years, so there was some there, although cocaine was the drug of choice in Broadcasting then. Now it's craft beer but that's legal.

Just not something that has ever interested me.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I don't think it is all the same at all. Neither does the law - pot possession, though still illegal, brings a slap on the wrist. Possession of coke, meth, opiates, etc. carries much harsher penalties and appropriately so, in my opinion, because those drugs pose a much higher potential for addiction and more extensive social costs than pot. However, the world of random drug testing favors the guy who uses hard drugs over the pot smoker because of the persistence of pot in the body relative to other substances.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #13
EMAW_KSU
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I really don't categorize something illegal by degrees of seriousness. Illegal, is illegal. If I don't like the law, I can work to change it. So yes I consider marijuana the same way, and it is practically legal here in California now, and that doesn't change my outlook. Never tried something illegal here somewhere it is legal.
Hey, I lived in a dorm in college, so I was around it. I've worked in Broadcasting for 39 years, so there was some there, although cocaine was the drug of choice in Broadcasting then. Now it's craft beer but that's legal.

Just not something that has ever interested me.
It is illegal to drive over the speed limit. Do you think people should be fired if they get a speeding ticket when they are out with their friends?
EMAW_KSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #14
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

I live in Washington State where pot is now legal.

I work for an employer who will terminate you for a positive drug screen.

We had an email reminding us that while it is legal in our state it is still against company policy and if we have a positive drug screen we will be fired. The same with alcohol not allowed while on the job and if you have a positive screen you are fired.

If it is illegal in your state, my opinion, it is illegal. Doesn't matter if it is pot, meth, heroin. Illegal is illegal.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Ephany
DIS Veteran

Illegal is illegal, period. Maybe my viewpoint is skewed as I used to work with nuclear energy and am now in healthcare, but I don't want to work with anyone who's impaired. I don't care what the substance of choice may be. My current employer doesn't hire anyone who uses tobacco and that's legal. I understand when I applied and accepted the job that there were certain conditions. If I don't want to follow those conditions, I have the right to quit or they have the right to fire me.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: