Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #91
thmar
DIS Veteran

Tidefan...thanks for info on WDW.

"You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you." Walt Disney

God Bless...

thmar
thmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #92
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidefan View Post
HydroGuy, great post. We have been to WDW many times, but did manage a day at DL after a Mex Riviera cruise back in 2003 and DW and I did enjoy DL very much, except that DW was 5 months pregnant at the time and could not ride the Matterhorn, Space Mtn, etc. I agree, DL is a great park. We really liked the New Orleans Square area since it was different from what we were used to at WDW. I agree that someone (with vastly more experience than I) should do the same for WDW for DL vets. We loved both, but they are different experiences. We hope to get back out there sometime so that we can go to DCA.

I can take a stab at a few things that I think DL vets may want to know about WDW and how you may want to differ your experiences there. Hopefully some much more knowledgeable folks than I will follow with more and even better advice. Here are a few main things and they are:
FWIW, I took a shot at this back in January. Here is a link:

An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets
www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636

But someone else like you with more WDW experience could do a more thorough job than I. So by all means continue your input.

A few quick comments on your section 1:

1. I agree that staying onsite at WDW is the recommended approach. We will always stay onsite there in the future.

2. A car does have some advantages, especially if you want to get places at WDW where there is no direct bus, boat or monorail ride. If you primarily want to do direct bus/boat/monorail rides, then IMO a car is not worthwhile if you are staying onsite.

3. As Tide noted, some of the resorts are huge at WDW, which can mean, for example, a 15 minute walk to your room at Coronado Springs. There are more than a dozen hotels at DLR where you can get from your hotel room to the DLR gates in 15 minutes. CSR can take longer than that just to get from the lobby to your room.

4. EMH - controversial on whether actually using it is a good thing. Some people love it, others avoid it entirely because of how it influences crowds at the parks.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2007, 10:25 PM   #93
tidefan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
FWIW, I took a shot at this back in January. Here is a link:

An Introduction To WDW For DLR Vets
www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=16541636

But someone else like you with more WDW experience could do a more thorough job than I. So by all means continue your input.

A few quick comments on your section 1:

1. I agree that staying onsite at WDW is the recommended approach. We will always stay onsite there in the future.

2. A car does have some advantages, especially if you want to get places at WDW where there is no direct bus, boat or monorail ride. If you primarily want to do direct bus/boat/monorail rides, then IMO a car is not worthwhile if you are staying onsite.

3. As Tide noted, some of the resorts are huge at WDW, which can mean, for example, a 15 minute walk to your room at Coronado Springs. There are more than a dozen hotels at DLR where you can get from your hotel room to the DLR gates in 15 minutes. CSR can take longer than that just to get from the lobby to your room.

4. EMH - controversial on whether actually using it is a good thing. Some people love it, others avoid it entirely because of how it influences crowds at the parks.
HydroGuy, Sorry about that, I hadn't seen your other post. I may continue on a few points, but I think that you did a pretty good job of summing things up. That said, I can post a couple things here that are some differences.

1) Transportation - I think that the more you visit, the more comfortable one becomes with the WDW transportation and you learn how to work the system. For instance, you need to know that if you were going to EPCOT for a dinner reservation one night at France or UK, you will do better taking a bus to the Beach Club or Boardwalk and then walking through the International Gateway entrance instead of taking the Monorail directly from the TTC. This is because the monorail lets off at the front of EPCOT and you would have to walk the entirety of the park to get to the back of World Showcase. Also, at Coronado Springs, there are 4 bus stops, so you can use WDW transportation as an intra-resort transportation system if you don't feel like walking.

Little tricks like this help. Also, bus times to various parks from the resorts should be fairly good, though they can be a bit sketchy from the Values and especially from Fort Wilderness.

2) EMH - I am a big fan of Extra Magic Hours and Parkhopping, though as you say, there are varying opinions on this. Everyone seems to have a different strategy, but here is ours. We typically eat dinner in EPCOT (on our April trip, we ate dinner at EPCOT 4 of the 7 nights) and then head out to whatever park has the EMH. We found most of the parks, including the MK, to be virtually deserted during the EMH and that we could walk on most any ride that we wanted. They also bring characters out during nighttime EMH's, so you can see a lot of those with minimal wait. During our April EPCOT EMH night, we had about 15 minutes of Mickey, Pluto, Goofy, and Stitch all alone to us. DD felt like they were there just for her. Also, on a side note, EMH tends to be the only time that you can ride Expedition Everest (EE) at night, which makes the ride even better.

We never used the morning EMH's so I can't really comment about those, but I can make one note. If you are going to either Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon (which is my favorite thing in WDW), there is a 1 hour EMH every single day. This SHOULD be taken advantage of because during regular and peak seasons, the water parks fill up very quickly and they will close admission off to the parks. Therefore, if you are a resort guest, you should always be able to get in.

3) The BIG difference between DL and WDW - in my opinion is EPCOT. There is just nothing at DL like it and as such, I don't think that DL vets coming to WDW are adequately prepared to tour it. Most comparisons that I see of DL to WDW are always of DL vs. the Magic Kingdom. While this is a completely valid comparison as the two are very similar, it is important to note that the MK is only one part of WDW. The Studios (not my favorite park, but some of my favorite rides), seems similar in ways to DCA. The Animal Kingdom is it's own thing, but it is not a major attraction to WDW, though it is getting there with the addition of rides like EE.

The big difference is EPCOT. It is the largest Disney park and as such requires multiple days of visitation. Also, at least to me, EPCOT is a park that is best taken in a leisurely manner in small to medium doses at a time, which is contradictory to most DL and WDW visitors. EPCOT is somewhat like a large, permanent world's fair with one section set up for new technology and innovations (i.e. - I got to ride a Segway there for the first time at the Innoventions pavillion, very cool) and another section (World Showcase - WS) set up with pavillions dedicated to the look and feel of various countries around the world. Most of these pavillions have at least one counter service and table service restaurant and some (France) have two table service restaurants.

EPCOT is not so much a thrill ride theme park (though there are certainly some very good rides there) as it is an educational and cultural odyssey. All of the WS pavillions are staffed by natives of their respective countries and offer various goods that generally cannot be found here in the US very easily. Also, most of the WS pavillions serve alcohol, which adds another dimension to the whole experience, and it is not altogether a bad one. Quite honestly, a German restaurant named "Biergarten" wouldn't be very authentic without litre steins flowing about and the British pub wouldn't have quite the same feel without the Bass and Guiness flowing.

Anyway, we find EPCOT to be downright relaxing compared to the other parks and it invites you to experience it on your own time. However, you DO NEED to plan, at least in terms of dining. Though EPCOT may not have the most rides per capita of some of the Disney parks, but it definitely has the highest concentration of restaurants and they are all very popular. It is necessary to make Advanced Dining Reservations (ADR's) at least a month or two in advance to make the most of your WDW experience, especially where EPCOT is concerned.

Anyway, I will continue with parts of my original idea over the next few nights, but I will probably leave it to a few things such as Water Parks and DVC that HydroGuy did not get to in his earlier post.

Hydro, perhaps you could also put out a few pointers on DCA as that, at least to me, would be the most foreign thing about DL to a WDW vet.

Upcoming: AKV, SSR
tidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #94
tidefan
DIS Veteran

HydroGuy - FYI, I see that you are heading to DLP. Enjoy it. DW and I went back in 2001 and loved it. Things may be different now since the dollar is weaker, but we found DLP prices to be a veritable bargain.

Space Mountain (or whatever they call it) is very good there, but beware the Indiana Jones coaster. It left us with a headache...

Upcoming: AKV, SSR
tidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:48 PM   #95
codimouse
Over 45 Trips to Disney from San Antonio, Tx!

Smile

Thank you so much for the post on DLR. We are DLR newbies. We always go to WDW and just went again in March.

Well, we got a huge bonus from work and wanted to spend it!!

We decided to try DLR this time. Plus a few other destinations there. But Disney first.

This guide is appreciated. Now to find a suitable hotel nearby so I do not have to drive!!!

Thanks again.
codimouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:20 AM   #96
jlmarr
You got that right

Thumbs up

Bump...
jlmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:22 PM   #97
jfritz
Mouseketeer

Thanks for bumping this as I have never seen it bofore. We are doing DLR for the first time in Late Jan/early Feb 2008 and staying at the bwppi. We have all been to WDW at least 12-15 times and since we are cruising out of Long Beach we decided we must see DL. This post has really helped immensely. THANKS!!!
jfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #98
Yzerbear19
I'm beautifully tragic - Elphaba (Wicked)

Thank you for posting this. My sister and I are seriously thinking about going to DLR at the end of April for my birthday and there is a lot of valuable information here. So thank you!

Yzerbear19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 PM   #99
HydroGuy

Bumping this to let everyone know I have updated the entire guide and added photos to liven things up for first time readers. Enjoy.
DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
Old 08-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #100
Hound 109
So non-screamin' family members can pass the time enjoyably while the Hound gets his Screamin' fix in

Great pics, Trey.
Hound 109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:22 PM   #101
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

For everyone who has said this "should be a sticky", we totally agree, and it has been for quite a while. If you go to the last sticky thread by Mary Jo "Important information" you will find it under the first "mega link".

This sticky has 3 "mega links" on the front page, which further branch out to other links........it is great reading!

If we stickied them all indivigually our whole front page would be gone........
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:02 PM   #102
HydroGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy from Boise View Post
For everyone who has said this "should be a sticky", we totally agree, and it has been for quite a while. If you go to the last sticky thread by Mary Jo "Important information" you will find it under the first "mega link".

This sticky has 3 "mega links" on the front page, which further branch out to other links........it is great reading!

If we stickied them all indivigually our whole front page would be gone........
Judy, I have been meaning to remind everyone that this DLR guide thread is available in the sticky area of DIS (FWIW, here is a link to the page to which Judy is referring www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=43446). I just had not gotten around to it.

I believe the people who have been posting recently about stickies were referring to my compilation thread (this one - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520483). You guys (mostly gals I think) on DIS do a great job of organizing the stickies, and in truth DIS already has more stickies that most forums have. So I am not sure adding even more stickies to an already crowded sticky area is a good idea.

With that said, I do think the DLR abbreviations thread I started (www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520784) is a good candidate for a sticky. Not that I am lobbying, but the moderators should consider it. If the moderators want to take over keeping it up to date, well, it is public info here and you can hijack the content and make it a sticky somewhere. Indeed, I copied liberally from the WDW abbreviations thread when I started it - as I noted in the thread.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:48 PM   #103
texasteacher35
DIS Veteran

Such great info...especially for a WDW VET...I have only been to DL once and we are considering going next year...in between WDW trips...I am really excited about DL after reading your phenominal post! Thanks for putting in such much time and effort into it!

DL GCV 4/2013...WLV 6/2013...SSR 7/2013
JANUARY 2012- BCV, DECEMBER 2012- SSR, AUGUST 2012- BWV, JUNE 2012-Our 1st Star Wars Weekend- BLT, 3/2012- BLT, 1/2012- BCV, 11/2011- WBC, MAY 2011/ CBR Pirate Room, 11/2010- CR Tower, 7/2010- YACHT CLUB, 11/2009- CBR Pirate Room, 10/2001- GF
texasteacher35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #104
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Judy, I have been meaning to remind everyone that this DLR guide thread is available in the sticky area of DIS (FWIW, here is a link to the page to which Judy is referring www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=43446). I just had not gotten around to it.

I believe the people who have been posting recently about stickies were referring to my compilation thread (this one - www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520483). You guys (mostly gals I think) on DIS do a great job of organizing the stickies, and in truth DIS already has more stickies that most forums have. So I am not sure adding even more stickies to an already crowded sticky area is a good idea.

With that said, I do think the DLR abbreviations thread I started (www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1520784) is a good candidate for a sticky. Not that I am lobbying, but the moderators should consider it. If the moderators want to take over keeping it up to date, well, it is public info here and you can hijack the content and make it a sticky somewhere. Indeed, I copied liberally from the WDW abbreviations thread when I started it - as I noted in the thread.
Okay dokay !
Judy from Boise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM   #105
Nora94
Mouseketeer

this was exactly what I needed! Thanks.
Nora
Nora94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: