Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #16
SadieDog
Minds are like parachutes, they only function when open
Hell's Kitchen time
The thing got inside my shirt and was slithering around

I live in Maine and I was also in Rangely on July 1st, but mine was a day trip for my daughters 15th b-day. I completely understand how you feel about the lakes. My favorite places are lakes/mountains/streams. I much prefer them over the ocean. Over Memorial Day Weekend we camped in the Cupsuptic area. We hiked a different mountain, but also had beautiful views. However, I don't recommend spring hiking when the black flies are in full force. They can drive a sane person mad. Hiking in the fall with the foliage is wonderful! I have never celebrated July 4th on the 3rd. In our area we always have fireworks on the 4th. I guess it depends on the town.
Thank you for sharing your trip with us.
SadieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #17
horsegirl
I feel blonder than a cocker spaniel!
I tell people I am 30-10-15 so they are super impressed
I got distracted by all the lovebugs on the pool bar

Location: running from the fruit stand and hiding all my nature pictures

Pincesskitty1- Get back up here and visit!

MaryJo-Thanks so much! I really love California and the Western US. Yosemitie, Yellowstone, Glacier....they are fantastic too. I even love the Muir woods! Have a great time on your trippie and write about it when you return, if you have the time, you techie/riddler you.

Pumba- Fellow Mainer. I love driving up by Small's Falls, and stopping for a dip at the bottom...it is one of the kid's favorite spots. I tried to get a picture of the 'caution! high rate of moose accidents for the next 7 miles' sign, but missed it....It is amazing country.

Kpk89-NH is everybit as awesome as Maine. You live in fairyland too. Thanks for the sweet sentiments.

Momrek06- You rock woman! Thanks for following me here! Your words are entirely too kind. And I love Massachusetts too. Some of my fondest memories occured in your state...And thanks for sharing the story of your hairdresser! I didn't mention Rangeley is a four season destination. It really is. Beyond snowmobiling and ice fishing, there are two fabulous ski resorts, one right here in Rangeley and Sugarloaf, about 30 minutes away.

Sadiedog- hello fellow maniac. Good to know not every community messes up the 4th by celebrating a day early. They don't do it when the 4th falls on a weekend...just strikes me as odd....

JVL1018- I am going to post a separate post to you next....

Thanks to all you little cherubs for reading my sleepy tale....

Need a Smile? Snowstorm pix of a beautiful snowy day [/SIZE]
A Day at the Punkin Patch-A Celebration of a New England Fall Day
A Week by the Lake- A trip report designed to soothe and calm the reader
How to Make $3600 on Your Disney Vacation...A Trip Report

Last edited by horsegirl; 07-09-2006 at 08:34 PM. Reason: sadie dog- black flies in the spring are a torture beyond one's imagination right through june up there. this was late for them this year. the suckers.....
horsegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #18
horsegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVL1018
I actually have tears in my eyes. You've brought me back in time. Different lake, very similar memories.

From the summer before I turned 1 until the summer I was 11, my parents, brothers and I, along with my aunt, uncle and cousins on my Dad's side, my Mom's cousin and her family and always at least 3 other families that were friends of one or all of the above families, we all drove from NJ and Long Island to the Adirondack Mountains in upstate NY for a week at the lake.
What a wonderful way to spend a vacation each summer with all those people! I grew up spending a month each winter on Sanibel Island at my grandparent's beach house, and they were and still are some of my best childhood memories. There was something comforting about going back each year. I remember being so sad when the day came for us to leave. I would cry and cry. Our nephews do that at Christmas when they leave our house, and at the end of the lake week. It is always so hard for the magic to end....
Quote:
Rustic cabins, canoe races, campfires, the camp store with the squeaky door slamming, softball games every night-kids at 6, adults at 8- sailing, long afternoons swimming in the lake, taking the power boat down the Schroon River to the pizza place The Narrows, a car stopping in front of the cabin with someone yelling for us kids to "get in, we're going to Dairy Queen!" going to sleep to the sound of all our parents staying up late playing cards.
What a wonderful vignette of your own lakeside memories. Thank you...
Quote:
Now my aunt is gone, my mom's cousin Ruthie is gone, my Mom is gone(cancer all of them), I no longer talk to my cousins or my father, but for a long time we all had one week of bliss ever year. I had a very happy childhood and our one week of vacation at Wakonda every year is always the first thing I think of when I think of my very best childhood memories.
Thanks for bringing it all back for me.
I am so very very sorry for your losses, especially your mother. Mickey was it? And to cancer. It sounds as though reading this was bittersweet for you. I am so glad you had those times growing up. I feel fortunate too. So many kids don't get the chances we did, right? Have you considered taking your own children? You could never recreate what you experienced. But you could build a new tradition for your kids....
Quote:
You're a wonderful writer and the picture of you and your daughter at sunset is just beautiful!
Thank you so very, very much for your words and sharing your story. I hope that Rangeley becomes to my children what Wakonda clearly is to you.

Last edited by horsegirl; 07-09-2006 at 08:47 PM. Reason: i'm sending a little cyber hug your way......
Old 07-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #19
AshClan
I forgot to say SNAP!
We'll coordinate our Woo Hooties!
Yes, he is a mutant. But a cute one

Horsey baby,

Beautiful pictures, wonderful imagery, fun (NOT boring) TR. The pictures of you and the kids, and the scenery too, are all fabulous.

As usual, I felt like I was right there with you! I have never been to that part of Maine, but am now very intrigued. We were just chatting with some friends today and saying how great it would be to find a big cabin or compound to stay with our whole crew (LOTS of couples and kids) for a week in the summer. I think it would be so much fun. Up until now, we've only cruised together. I would love to find a place like this one to spend a nice, relaxing week. I may be calling you for more info!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Love ya!

Last edited by AshClan; 07-09-2006 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Our town always does the 4th fireworks on the 3rd. I think it makes sense....no one has to work the next day!! Works for me....
AshClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 09:25 PM   #20
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegirl
I am so very very sorry for your losses, especially your mother. Mickey was it? And to cancer. It sounds as though reading this was bittersweet for you. I am so glad you had those times growing up. I feel fortunate too. So many kids don't get the chances we did, right? Have you considered taking your own children? You could never recreate what you experienced. But you could build a new tradition for your kids....
Thank you so very, very much for your words and sharing your story. I hope that Rangeley becomes to my children what Wakonda clearly is to you.
Thank you for your condolences. Yes, her name was Mickey.

I have brought my children, and it was SO strange! They don't rent out the cabins anymore(we camped), and everything seemed sooo much smaller than I remembered, the lake that I remembered as so vast, was actually not. LOL

We go to WDW and Hilton Head every year, so my kids are making their memories there.
Hilton Head has that same laid back feeling, I think. Our resort is on the marsh not on the ocean so it's definately a woodsy feeling even though it's an island in the Atlantic..and the whole resort is carpeted with pine needles so it actually smells like upstate NY to me. Every time we arrive I take a deep breath and say to my husband. Ahh, Wakonda! LOL

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #21
Frickles
Missed the wooo hoooty for a phone call
I say keep the squirrel and dress him up and use him as an accessory

Horsey,
My DH has wanted to visit Maine for years now and I've never been to gung-ho about it because he wants to drive (and I dis-like long car trips) and he wants to eat tons of lobster (I don't do lobster). We sat down together and looked at your pictures today. I do believe you might have changed my mind.
I grew up 5 minutes from a huge lake and we often went out on the 4th to watch fireworks from a boat. It is such a blast.
What a sweet family and what a sweet and beautiful vacation. Thank you for sharing it with us and since there is enough room for 16 and you only have 10, we'll be joining you next year! (party of 4)

Last edited by Frickles; 07-09-2006 at 11:46 PM. Reason: frickyzzubbage..... lmao!!! I actually made it in to someone's TR! hahahaha!
Frickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #22
horsegirl

Ashclan and Frickles...what a compliment that this lil' trippie might sway you to come north. You know how to find me if you need more info....

Truly, the best time to go is late July, August, or early September....The lake was a little too chilly this early in July...Especially for you Georgia peaches, Frick....

And JVL1018, Oh do I know about the amazing shrinking thing when returning to childhood stomping grounds....I really, really do.

Last edited by horsegirl; 07-10-2006 at 08:00 AM. Reason: i am now back in my office, which has ac, but no loons or lapping waves....
Old 07-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #23
GADISNEYGIRL
Maelstromer!
aka Marky Mark's Wife

Horsey, thank you. Loved it! Your kids are beautiful, but you knew that, didn't you?! (Love Jack's haircut, btw!)

When I was a teenager, I read a book about a camp in Maine... you know, all the counselors falling in and out of love. I've wanted to visit ever since. But, as you said... us GA Peaches and our delicate southern skin... I don't actually have to get IN the water, do I??

Pre-DS : Many short (offsite) trips prior to 98; Contemporary, Concierge-Honeymoon 06/98; Contemporary 08/00; Off-site 12/00; Trips with DS : All Star Movies 09/03; All Star Movies 04/04; All Star Movies 05/04; Pop Century 09/04; All Star Movies/Pop Century 12/04; All Star Movies/Boardwalk Inn 02/05; Villas at the Wilderness Lodge 07/05; Pop Century Girls' Shopping/Eating Weekend 09/05; Coronado Springs impromptu for-our-sanity trip 11/05; Grand Floridian/MVMCP One Nighter 12/05; 1 night All Star Movies, 10 nights Wilderness Lodge 01/06; PO~Riverside 02/06 With Friends!; Farewell to Jen Weekend~CSR 02/06; Girls' (and Wesley!) Weekend~ASSp 05/06; Anniversary Trip~Contemporary 05/06; Broken Arm Trip~Yacht Club 07/06; Farewell to Cindybration~09/06; Prince Wesley Returns to the World~Riverside 09-10/06; Farewell AP Trip~AKL 01/07; Reunion with a friend~ASSp 02/07; PPP No More Stress Trip~08/07 CSR
GADISNEYGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #24
horsegirl

Rhonda! Thanks. You could swim in August baby, but pick a lake a little further south. Rangeley is big, and deep and cold! Never gets much above 70 or 72. BTW, I only went in once this trip. It hovered around 64. Even too cold for this artic dweller....so no, you don't have to go in. But I have to tell you, going swimming in the lake, sans suit, is really something very special....

I loved those campy romancy books too, even like Trixie Beldon and Nancy Drew did the summer camp romancy thing...

So sorry to hear about little Wes' rash. Eeek!

Last edited by horsegirl; 07-10-2006 at 11:08 AM. Reason: thank you for the little people sweetness. i think they are beautiful, but i am biased. even if i had nothing whatsoever to do with it.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #25
offwegotoneverland
Mouseketeer
Apparently one should now pack a bra in your golf bag

Lovely trip report and everyone looks so happy (at least prior to dunking the camera)

makes me happy we live near a lake!!

Would like to be at Jiko's now please
offwegotoneverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #26
GeorgiaAristocat
Côôl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

My sweet littlehorseyponybabygirl -

Your report was . . .mesmerizing. I read it and felt the lake breezes, heard the loons, saw the kids jumping in and out of the lake and hunched down, as only kids can hunch down, over a small pool with tadpoles in it. In short, I loved it. Your trip sounds beautiful, as does the lake, the cabin, the mountains, and your family.

So sorry about Grammy J and the nasty bugs. What a hassle.

My parents at one point thought about buying a lodge in Maine. I remember that they left us kids behind (I was very young) and drove up to Maine to check the place out. For whatever reason, they decided not to. It was after that trip that my dad went to Veterinary College. I reflect on the different path my life could have taken based on the actions of my parents. Would I still work in the same field if I had grown up in Maine, rather than as a child of the armed services? I would certainly have gone to a different college, married a different man, had different children. It all seems so strange to think about.

I think I need to add Maine to my list of places I would like to visit someday. It's a very long list at this point, and just keeps growing!

Welcome home horsegirl . . .you were missed!

Amy
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE

Last edited by GeorgiaAristocat; 07-10-2006 at 04:09 PM. Reason: and the little people are, as they always are, cute, and sweet, and beautiful. Love Jack's hair, btw!
GeorgiaAristocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #27
liamsaunt
I was an irish girl with an afro
I am Doombah Dippinlips. I just don't know what to say about that
Agh! I'm a chip junkie!
Mashed potatoes were invented as a delivery vehicle

Lovely story, lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing with us.
liamsaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:36 AM   #28
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Just what I needed...

Sweet Horsey -

I went to bed a couple of hours ago. After watching a few DVD episodes of Lost. Obviously that show got into my head and caused a most disturbing nightmare. I awoke with that horrible, fearful feeling and thought about what I could do to get my mind back to a happy place. So I came to the computer and read your report. And my mind is definitely back to a happy place.

What a beautiful report. Your vacation sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. We too enjoyed fireworks over the lake on July 4th (not 3rd ). And while we might have had a few more rednecks than "Maniacs", it was a community feeling all the same. Boats of all types, families enjoying one another, firework "preshows" all around the lake, music, just all around good times. A true celebration of our country and the freedom we enjoy here.

Thanks again for the lovely report. Your writing is good reading.

NicoleMarie

"Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere." Psalm 84:10

What I learned from the DIS - Spring Break 2006 (with pics!!)

Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW

nicolemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:58 AM   #29
horsegirl

offwegotoneverland. Can I go to? I really, really want to escape and not grow up. Thank you...

GeorgiaAristocat. Your post was charming. Your thoughts are ones I have had so many times. What if somehow a different turn had been taken in life. Where would I be, how would my life be different. I had forgotten your dad was a vet. He is my hero....Put Maine on your list. Not only are there lots of wonderful lakes, but there is a good friend here, who wants to see you. And believe it or not, Atlanta is on my list of places I want to go.....

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply Liamaunt...

NicoleMarie. I so understand the not being able to sleep thing. I am truly flattered that you wandered to my short story to try to put your mind at ease....Thank you so very much for your kind words...and insightful thoughts.

I hadn't really thought about all the neat anectodes that this would ellicit from others. I truly have enjoyed all the replies....keep them coming.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #30
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

when we go to Reid State Park and the surf temp is usually in the 50s.....then I know when my legs go numb it is for a reason.....that is always so darn cold......Moosehead lake is another cold temp lake though...

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: