Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #1
jarrdisney
DIS Veteran

Foodie Dining - 10 days put me in the poor house

Here's are my reviews from our most recent trip in late June. We are two twenty something's that love food. Any questions, comments, concerns, feel free to ask. Enjoy! We sure did... FYI - we saved around $400 using DDE. Plus the free valet parking is amazing!

Jiko (dinner) - It's doubtful we will be returning here. I know people rave about how great and eclectic the food is, but this was the second time and we were not impressed. The tomato/cucumber salad w/watermelon dressing was just ok. The flatbreads were probably the highlight of the meal. I believe we had the goatcheese and basil flatbread. Those of you that have not tried it beware the portion is large. One of those suckers is definitely enough for 2-4 people. My halibut was overdone and flavorless. MY DGF had gotten the pork, which was much better. The real downfall was in the service. I expected our meal to be nice and relaxing, but we were rushed like cattle in for the slaughter. Entrees fell on top of Apps and our server was very quick with us. I thought it might just be our table but as I observed the rest of the dining area, I saw similar scenarios unfold.

Sci-Fi Dine-in (lunch) - MY DGF loved this place. The food was descent and the atmosphere is great. I can see why they're always booked up for the day. It's a nice break from a hot day in the parks, and it's Disney magic at it's best.

Chefs de France (lunch) - This was one of the few meals I went in a bit apprehensive. Our last trip we decided to try the Bistro upstairs and were very disappointed. I am happy to say that was not the case this time around. We arrived quite early and since the restaurant was not open we decided on some wine tasting next door. Wendy tended to us and boy was she great. Not only was she such a pleasure to talk to, but she charged us about 1/6th of what we should have been charged. We each had a kir and two wine tastings. Needless to say, we were a bit tipsy walking out of there for lunch. Thank God we were finally filling our stomachs with something. DGF opted for the "French Menu" and I had the Seafood Medley. (that's not the name of it but I can not recall) Everything was great and I definitely recommend that you give it a try.

Nine Dragons (lunch) - We went here on a whim because I wanted to try something new. We requested a window seat and had a very nice server. All the food was great and we had a nice relaxing meal. The fried rice was great as was my honey sesame chicken. A word of caution. I would definitely get to this restaurant right at opening. The longer we were seated, more and more parties filled the restaurant and it got extremely loud.

Rose and Crown (wine/cheese/dessert) - We were seated right on the water by manager Dave 10 minutes prior to Illuminations. Great service and a surprisingly descent wine list. The sticky toffee pudding was to die for. Seriously, I think people have died after eating it. It was so rich and delicious I can almost taste it now.

Tempura Kiku (lunch) - I should have done my research. This is practically the only restaurant not included in the DDE. It's also one of the worst we went to the whole entire trip. The tempura was flavorless and greasy. To the restaurants credit, the view was beautiful. It overlooked the whole entire lagoon and spaceship earth. The only reason I would go back here is for some sashimi, which was descent.

Tony's (lunch) - We were starving mid day at MK and didn't feel like taking the monorail out of the park. We decided on Tony's and were not disappointed. I wasn't expecting the world from this restaurant, and was happy that we went.

Flying Fish (dinner) - We made ADRS for Flying Fish a couple weeks in advance and were pretty excited about this meal. We had some drinks upstairs and made our leisurely trek down about an hr later. We sat at the bar overlooking the kitchen. I remembered doing this quite a few years back and enjoying it, so it sounded like a good idea. We had a great French server (his name escapes me) who was very knowledgeable and kind. We had a great time talking to the Chefs and were given some complimentary sorbet. We had a nice chilled maine lobster salad with creme fraiche. It was especially refreshing given the temperature outside. DGF had the chicken and I went with the Halibut, as to make up for mine at JIKO. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted great. The service was spot on and relaxed. The Flying Fish Chocolate Collection is a must do for chocolate lovers. I especially liked the warm lemongrass-chocolate tea.

CA Grill (dessert/wine) - We went here for the view. We tried going for the food a couple times (see my other posts) and have been disappointed. The Royal Tokaji is a great dessert wine and I was introduced to it for the first time at V&A's. We had the Bananas and Butterscotch "Buzz." My DGF loved it but I thought it was just ok. Maybe it was just too sweet for me. To each their own.

Bluezoo (dinner) - This turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. I did not expect too much and was blown away. First off, let me tell you the prices were the biggest turn on for me. This restaurant was not included in the DDE, however this meal cost as much as most our meals with DDE discount. The wine list is extensive and moderately priced. There were plenty of great bottles under $40 and we decided on a Rose. The Tuna Tartar was fresh and some of the best I've ever had. The miso glazed chilean sea bass was moist and full of a subtle miso flavor. DGF had the Salmon and said it rivaled the Copper River she had at Artist Pointe. The only downfall was the dessert. I believe we though the Chocolate Fondue would be fun, but it turned out to be too much work for little reward.

Victoria and Albert’s (dinner) – So, let me preface this by saying I had heard the hype. I had read about all the awards this restaurant had received. I went in with an open mind and an empty stomach (Iron Chef reference). This was one of the best meals I had the pleasure of experiencing. The wine pairings were spot on 95% of the time. The food was prepared to perfection, and the service was attentive but not overbearing. I will not list everything we had, because basically had everything. The menu is available on all ears. But I will say this. I am a convert and I implore you to go.

Artist Pointe (dinner) – Our sever Gary made the night. He was friendly, funny, and knowledgeable. He was everything you wanted in a Disney CM. Copper River Salmon was in season and for a slight up charge he added it to the prefixe menu that DGF had gotten. It was hands down the best DGF and I have ever had. The Portobello mushroom soup was so rich and tasty. It’s no wonder people try to make it at home. Gary talked me into getting the Buffalo and it was amazing. It was flavorful, juicy, cooked perfectly med rare, and was not gamey at all. This was our first meal at Artist Pointe and we will defiantly return.

Earl of sandwich (lunch) – We scarfed down some sandwiches prior to LA Nouba and don’t remember much because we were in a rush. They were ok I guess, but nothing to write home about. The decor was pretty neat though.

Rainforest Cafe (lunch) – FUN FUN FUN. We shared the Shrimp medley and it wasn’t half bad. You wrap anything in bacon and it’s gonna taste good.

Emeril's (kitchen table dinner) – This was one of two meals with our gracious host majortom64. They flew in foie gras especially for our meal and it was great, but the highlight was a pasta w/truffles and lobster. It was absolutely decadent. We had the whole dessert spread plus a banana’s foster. Needless to say, we were stuffed. This was our second KT experience and we will continue to return.

Tchoup Chop (dinner 2x's) – Meal #2 with majortom64. Tchoup Chop has always been one of our favorite restaurants. It is always consistently great with amazing service. Our meals this trip were no exception. I went with the tasting menu. They added courses specifically for us and we were greeted with amuse bouche both times. My DGF still talks about their new salad with crab. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone that wants something great and different off of Disney property.
jarrdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
pperfectmom
Has the sense of direction of a manatee
What's a chachi?

Mmmmm...Can I go on vacation with you guys? Oh, and you're paying-right?

pperfectmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
Cruz Family
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrdisney
Here's are my reviews from our most recent trip in late June. We are two twenty something's that love food. Any questions, comments, concerns, feel free to ask. Enjoy! We sure did... FYI - we saved around $400 using DDE. Plus the free valet parking is amazing!

Jiko (dinner) - It's doubtful we will be returning here. I know people rave about how great and eclectic the food is, but this was the second time and we were not impressed. The tomato/cucumber salad w/watermelon dressing was just ok. The flatbreads were probably the highlight of the meal. I believe we had the goatcheese and basil flatbread. Those of you that have not tried it beware the portion is large. One of those suckers is definitely enough for 2-4 people. My halibut was overdone and flavorless. MY DGF had gotten the pork, which was much better. The real downfall was in the service. I expected our meal to be nice and relaxing, but we were rushed like cattle in for the slaughter. Entrees fell on top of Apps and our server was very quick with us. I thought it might just be our table but as I observed the rest of the dining area, I saw similar scenarios unfold.

Sci-Fi Dine-in (lunch) - MY DGF loved this place. The food was descent and the atmosphere is great. I can see why they're always booked up for the day. It's a nice break from a hot day in the parks, and it's Disney magic at it's best.

Chefs de France (lunch) - This was one of the few meals I went in a bit apprehensive. Our last trip we decided to try the Bistro upstairs and were very disappointed. I am happy to say that was not the case this time around. We arrived quite early and since the restaurant was not open we decided on some wine tasting next door. Wendy tended to us and boy was she great. Not only was she such a pleasure to talk to, but she charged us about 1/6th of what we should have been charged. We each had a kir and two wine tastings. Needless to say, we were a bit tipsy walking out of there for lunch. Thank God we were finally filling our stomachs with something. DGF opted for the "French Menu" and I had the Seafood Medley. (that's not the name of it but I can not recall) Everything was great and I definitely recommend that you give it a try.

Nine Dragons (lunch) - We went here on a whim because I wanted to try something new. We requested a window seat and had a very nice server. All the food was great and we had a nice relaxing meal. The fried rice was great as was my honey sesame chicken. A word of caution. I would definitely get to this restaurant right at opening. The longer we were seated, more and more parties filled the restaurant and it got extremely loud.

Rose and Crown (wine/cheese/dessert) - We were seated right on the water by manager Dave 10 minutes prior to Illuminations. Great service and a surprisingly descent wine list. The sticky toffee pudding was to die for. Seriously, I think people have died after eating it. It was so rich and delicious I can almost taste it now.

Tempura Kiku (lunch) - I should have done my research. This is practically the only restaurant not included in the DDE. It's also one of the worst we went to the whole entire trip. The tempura was flavorless and greasy. To the restaurants credit, the view was beautiful. It overlooked the whole entire lagoon and spaceship earth. The only reason I would go back here is for some sashimi, which was descent.

Tony's (lunch) - We were starving mid day at MK and didn't feel like taking the monorail out of the park. We decided on Tony's and were not disappointed. I wasn't expecting the world from this restaurant, and was happy that we went.

Flying Fish (dinner) - We made ADRS for Flying Fish a couple weeks in advance and were pretty excited about this meal. We had some drinks upstairs and made our leisurely trek down about an hr later. We sat at the bar overlooking the kitchen. I remembered doing this quite a few years back and enjoying it, so it sounded like a good idea. We had a great French server (his name escapes me) who was very knowledgeable and kind. We had a great time talking to the Chefs and were given some complimentary sorbet. We had a nice chilled maine lobster salad with creme fraiche. It was especially refreshing given the temperature outside. DGF had the chicken and I went with the Halibut, as to make up for mine at JIKO. Everything was cooked perfectly and tasted great. The service was spot on and relaxed. The Flying Fish Chocolate Collection is a must do for chocolate lovers. I especially liked the warm lemongrass-chocolate tea.

CA Grill (dessert/wine) - We went here for the view. We tried going for the food a couple times (see my other posts) and have been disappointed. The Royal Tokaji is a great dessert wine and I was introduced to it for the first time at V&A's. We had the Bananas and Butterscotch "Buzz." My DGF loved it but I thought it was just ok. Maybe it was just too sweet for me. To each their own.

Bluezoo (dinner) - This turned out to be one of the highlights of our trip. I did not expect too much and was blown away. First off, let me tell you the prices were the biggest turn on for me. This restaurant was not included in the DDE, however this meal cost as much as most our meals with DDE discount. The wine list is extensive and moderately priced. There were plenty of great bottles under $40 and we decided on a Rose. The Tuna Tartar was fresh and some of the best I've ever had. The miso glazed chilean sea bass was moist and full of a subtle miso flavor. DGF had the Salmon and said it rivaled the Copper River she had at Artist Pointe. The only downfall was the dessert. I believe we though the Chocolate Fondue would be fun, but it turned out to be too much work for little reward.

Victoria and Albert’s (dinner) – So, let me preface this by saying I had heard the hype. I had read about all the awards this restaurant had received. I went in with an open mind and an empty stomach (Iron Chef reference). This was one of the best meals I had the pleasure of experiencing. The wine pairings were spot on 95% of the time. The food was prepared to perfection, and the service was attentive but not overbearing. I will not list everything we had, because basically had everything. The menu is available on all ears. But I will say this. I am a convert and I implore you to go.

Artist Pointe (dinner) – Our sever Gary made the night. He was friendly, funny, and knowledgeable. He was everything you wanted in a Disney CM. Copper River Salmon was in season and for a slight up charge he added it to the prefixe menu that DGF had gotten. It was hands down the best DGF and I have ever had. The Portobello mushroom soup was so rich and tasty. It’s no wonder people try to make it at home. Gary talked me into getting the Buffalo and it was amazing. It was flavorful, juicy, cooked perfectly med rare, and was not gamey at all. This was our first meal at Artist Pointe and we will defiantly return.

Earl of sandwich (lunch) – We scarfed down some sandwiches prior to LA Nouba and don’t remember much because we were in a rush. They were ok I guess, but nothing to write home about. The decor was pretty neat though.

Rainforest Cafe (lunch) – FUN FUN FUN. We shared the Shrimp medley and it wasn’t half bad. You wrap anything in bacon and it’s gonna taste good.

Emeril's (kitchen table dinner) – This was one of two meals with our gracious host majortom64. They flew in foie gras especially for our meal and it was great, but the highlight was a pasta w/truffles and lobster. It was absolutely decadent. We had the whole dessert spread plus a banana’s foster. Needless to say, we were stuffed. This was our second KT experience and we will continue to return.

Tchoup Chop (dinner 2x's) – Meal #2 with majortom64. Tchoup Chop has always been one of our favorite restaurants. It is always consistently great with amazing service. Our meals this trip were no exception. I went with the tasting menu. They added courses specifically for us and we were greeted with amuse bouche both times. My DGF still talks about their new salad with crab. I highly recommend this restaurant for anyone that wants something great and different off of Disney property.
If that is the way to the poor house, give me your directions!
Thanks, Great reviews!

Cruz Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Booknut
I couldn't figure out why people would choose to put that down

I can't think of a nicer way of getting to the poor house! Great reviews, glad you had such great meals

2005 WDW Offsite, 2006 WDW AKL/POFQ, 2008 DLP Santa Fe, 2009 DLP Hotel New York, 2012 DLP Hotel L'Elysee

Booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

I'm jumping on the poorhouse bandwagon!!!
Old 07-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
donaldtutter
DIS Veteran

Awesome reviews!!
donaldtutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
jjpenguin
A penguin with mouse ears & wooden shoes?
I'm going to sulk!!

Thanks for the reviews, can totally agree with you on Jiko. When we were there the restaurant wasn't even full and our entrees were in front of us when we were halfway through our apps.

Artist Point we loved too.
July 1974 Offsite * Feb 1997 Offsite * Feb 1998 Offsite * Feb 1999 Offsite * Feb 2000 POFQ and Disney Wonder * March 2001 DLP Sequoia Lodge * Nov 2001 1st DVC trip VWL + OKW * March 2003 BWV + AKL Concierge * May 2004 HH + BCV for Star Wars Weekends * Nov 2004 OKW solo trip * Feb 2005 Disneyland * Sept 2005 DVC Member Cruise & Vero Beach * May 2006 Star Wars Weekends again, at BWV * Sept 2006 2nd Solo trip at ASMu and SSR * May 2007 Using up our AP at OKW - Pirates of the Caribbean Adventure on the 7 Seas Lagoon * Sept 2007 Very last minute quick fix solo trip at SSR! * Sept 2008 - DH and me at SSR

jjpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: