Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
skyfire1982
Mouseketeer

A little late review - CSR 6-7 to 6-14

I got so excited working on dining reviews that I realized I probably should have written one for the hotel. At least I'm writing about this - the trip report probably won't see daylight for another few weeks. That's not even the worst part - I still haven't sent out postcards yet. I paid good money for expensive postcards, I will sent them out. Even though I'm home already. Eventually. So, here's the hotel, if anyone is still interested.

Like everyone else here on this board, I got persuaded by the lovely reviews and photos from Buzz. I had All Star Sports planned because, well, it was cheap, and I liked sports. Then I found the disboards. Oh, Pop is the better value! Switched my spreadsheets to include Pop. Saw more pictures of the value resorts, and saw really bright stars shining as I got blind sided by the gigantic icons and horrificly bright colors. Oh no no no. (Having said that, I will admit that if I was a kid again, I would LOVE the values. But I've grown up - just not my cup of tea right now.) Okay, moderates! Oh, look how pretty they are. No Disney figures, but gorgeous landscaping. Well, I had my heart set on POR. No wait, POFQ is first on the bus stop according to dis. No, CSR has it's own bus route! Pretty Buzz pictures! Possibility of less people on buses because of conventions! Score. After having spent 5 years at college where 60 rude and pushy college students tried to jam themselves onto the only dorm bus that had appeared for the last 25 minutes (and that only held 30), I NEEDED good bus transportation.

So, there we were at CSR. We had booked a king bed because that was the only thing that was left. Well, it was just my brother and I. We'll live, we're quiet sleepers. So as the ME bus stopped at CSR at about 2:15, my brother and I bolted off the bus and ran for the checkin desk, having read reviews of people waiting in line for a long, long time. Well, we felt stupid. No lines at the checkin desk, and the other two families from ME slowly ambled off the bus and walked as slow as possible to the lobby. Off to room 7662 then. We had requested a Cabanas room, but got turned down - the hotel was full. I winced initially when I saw that we were in Ranchos, since it was so far away from El Centro. It was slightly miserable at first - sun was beating down, mid to high 90's, and we were both lugging heavy backpacks that were our carryons from the plane. Then Savior drove by in a golf cart. He was headed the wrong way, but turned around and offered to take us to our room. Score! I think he took pity on us with our backpacks, since that's the only time I saw a guy driving counter clockwise around the resort.

We initially got lost, so we toured all of 7B. We saw everything but our room. Quiet pool was right in 7B, walked in a giant circle around the second floor - and there's our room. One towel animal was waiting for us in the windows - two swans kissing. That was the only towel animal we saw the entire trip, so we just left it in the window. No issues with the room - it was nice, clean, and cool. The view from the room wasn't much, a concrete parking lot, but right behind the parking lot was the most important thing - bus stop 4. Down the elevator and a quick hop, skip, and a jump to the bus stop - heavenly.

We did visit the Pepper Market twice. Good food, but pricey. Very funny little old lady manning the bakery counter, though. She just snuck up on us and whispered in this little spooky voice: "Welcome ... to my house ... of calories. Are you on the dining plan? Yes? You can have .... ANYTHING ... you want." We still mimick her to this day. Very sweet lady, but it was just too funny. Since we prefer to eat slowly in our rooms (and read or watch TV or just eat three bites and save for later), we got take out and lugged it back to our room. This was the ONLY thing we were less than pleased with. Very hot, and very little shade on the walk to 7B. We saw a few golf carts go by, but they were heading in the opposite direction and they ignored us.

Mousekeeping was excellent for us. No matter when we left the room, we returned to a clean room. If we left in the morning, it was clean when we returned at 1 for lunch. If we left later for lunch and returned after dinner, the room was clean again. Just bring your own shampoo and conditioner - we got left 1 tiny bottle of shampoo for the two of us each day.

Buses were very good. Usually the wait wasn't too long - I think the longest wait was about 20 minutes a few times, and it was hardly ever crowded. The only time we had a problem with convention people was when we were heading to Downtown Disney for dinner and Cirque. They piled onto the back of the bus and were extremely loud and boisterous. I wasn't impressed.

We had one giant bag between the two of us, and two small backpacks each. When we were leaving, I was about to grab the giant suitcase and leave, until I realized how stupid I was. Phoned bell services and they sent someone. My brother was quite relieved - even if the bag did have rolling wheels, he didn't want to drag 40 pounds of dead weight all the way to El Centro. Just a few minutes later, someone came and knocked on our door, grabbed our suitcase, and out we went to the golf cart. If bell services picks you up, be prepared to hang on. Our driver JUMPED on the gas and drove through the grass. Needless to say, we were a little startled. He also stopped and picked up a few people walking without asking us, but that wasn't too big a deal - I sympathized with the walking people, it's hot and it's a big resort. He dropped us off at the airline checkin desk so we could use the remote checkin, and he took our backpacks (and one shopping bag) to store until our flight later that day. I was happy I didn't have to drag our bags all the way over here and that he took our backpacks for us, so he got a nice tip. The resort airline checkin guys need some work, though. As we got to the front of the line, the CM took a phone call and proceeded to try and check in the phone people in front of us. Then his computer froze. Meanwhile, the guy behind us checked in quickly. Our CM shifted to a second computer. We were informed the printer was broken. The guy behind us left and the line was empty. The other checkin CM began to do something else and ignored us. (I don't understand why he couldn't have helped his coworker out and printed our passes for us, but oh well). Our CM wandered back after awhile and fixed the printer, but now he needed paper. The first computer was still frozen. Finally, we did manage to get our boarding passes. Whew! He did apologize profusely for the long delay.

All in all, everything went well and we were very happy. I have to admit I'm vaguely considering a deluxe next time for interior corridors and for park proximity (monorail and Epcot resorts), but the reports of iffy bus service for those resorts have not convinced me that deluxes would be the best option. CSR would definetly be our choice for a moderate/value though.
skyfire1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Buzz2001
CSR MAN!!

Great review!! Welcome back and glad you enjoyed the resort!!

Last edited by Buzz2001; 06-28-2006 at 05:08 PM.
Buzz2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

Location: On a Lake in Southeast Michigan,Snowbird home Bonita Springs,Florida

Glad you had a good time and that Savior drove by in a golf cart just in time to help you out.
He even changed directions to take you to your room. I think he should get a star for going above and beyond the call of duty.

Thanks for sharing.
minnie61650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
Buzz'sBetterHalf
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing!!!
Buzz'sBetterHalf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: