Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2006, 10:05 PM   #1
Free4Life11
DIS Cast Member
I just have to say it one more time...YAGE!
"ba-doinka-a-doink-doink"

Why does child tax credit stop at 17 and not 18?

My mom was all upset because they got a letter from the IRS saying they owe $1000 on taxes. There was a mistake and my sister who turned 17 in November 2005, was claimed for the child tax credit.

Anyone know why it stops at age 17 and not 18? Isn't 17 still considered a minor?

Either way she said it's time for a new accountant.
Free4Life11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
Jules76126
Practically Perfect in Every Way

I dont really know why it stops but I am sure my parents wished it didnt. However they still claim me as a dependent since I am dependent on them to pay my college and feed me and do my laundry, you know all the important stuff.

College Program Advantage 09- Attractions
College Program Spring Advantage 07- Spaceship Earth

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/m661yxwela1sliq2.png[/img]

OffSite Christmas 2007,
Beach Club Villas April 2006, Beach Club Villas March 2006, Beach Club Villas October 2004, Beach Club Villas October 2002, Port Orleans October 2001, DisneyLand Paris June 200, Boardwalk Villas April 2000, Old Key West May 1998, Beach Club May 1994, Dolphin 1990
Jules76126 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
jenr812
I'm wondering how outta hand you all got after I posted
The TF tried to give MY post to someone else
Those men can be so demanding, wanting to talk and make us get off the computer

Huh...I had no idea...

TR: The 5 J's Went Back to Disney 5/23-6/4, 2007 *DAY 4: MGM/LTT/MK EMH/Lotsa pics!!*
NICU Nurse & Mom to Jessica(18), Jayden(13) & Jory(9)

July 2-8, 2005 @ POR - Our first family trip & we surprised the kids!
May 23-June 4, 2007 @ POR - Nursing school graduation celebration!
December 14-21, 2008 @ POR - Introduced the in-laws to the Magic!
August 25-Sept 2, 2009 @ POP - Mother/Daughter trip for DD's Sweet 16!

Up next: Jayden's 14th birthday & MNSSHP @ POR October 24-November 4, 2012
Back at The Disboards after a loooong hiatus!
jenr812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
N.Bailey
Pear is probably my all time favorite
I was like HUH? LOL
Prefers warm soda

My guess would be that the year your sister was born, your parents were able to claim her for that entire year even though she was only alive for less than 2 months that year.

I think it sucks too, but I do think that's the reasoning.

edit: To rephrase that a bit, I do realize the tax credit only happened in the past few years or so, so technically, your parents didn't get that credit when your sister was born (I know, I have a 14 (born December) and 15 year old (born November) that didn't either), but I think they had to come up with a cut off and I think it was for the reasons above. I agree that it sucks and we all got cheated a year, but I think that's their reasoning.
N.Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
NewJersey
DIS Veteran

I never learned in my tax class 2 semesters ago why it ends at 17, but my guess would be because you have the credit in year 0 (before you turn 1) so that makes up for year 18. Just my hunch though.
NewJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:39 PM   #6
DawnCt1
I had to wonder what "holiday" he thought we would be celebrating with a tree?Answer: Arbor Day
Personally I have always wanted to be a super hero

One can claim a child as a deduction through the age of 22 or 23. A child tax credit is usually for child care. I am assuming that a 17 year old no longer requires baby sitting.
DawnCt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 PM   #7
NewJersey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnCt1
One can claim a child as a deduction through the age of 22 or 23. A child tax credit is usually for child care. I am assuming that a 17 year old no longer requires baby sitting.
The child tax credit is actually intended for middle and low income households to provide relief for families with children, as it's phased out for AGI above 100,000 for joint filers and 75,000 for single (phased out $50 for each 1,000 of AGI above the threshold). There's a seperate credit for the child and dependent care expenses. You can only claim a child as a dependent over the age of 18 if they are a full time student (in which case you can be under 24).

Ah, taxes make me sleepy.
NewJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
DawnCt1
I had to wonder what "holiday" he thought we would be celebrating with a tree?Answer: Arbor Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey
The child tax credit is actually intended for middle and low income households to provide relief for families with children, as it's phased out for AGI above 100,000 for joint filers and 75,000 for single (phased out $50 for each 1,000 of AGI above the threshold). There's a seperate credit for the child and dependent care expenses. You can only claim a child as a dependent over the age of 18 if they are a full time student (in which case you can be under 24).

Ah, taxes make me sleepy.
Well with a little luck she had someone prepare her taxes that assumes the "additional tax" for mistakes that they make. Of course, I wouldn't be that lucky.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 PM   #9
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

The child tax credit is NOT for dependent care.

I'm truly surprised Dawn doesn't know about this credit since it was a major element of Bush's tax program. When it was raised from $600 a year to $1,000 a year, people who qualified were even sent the $400 in the fall to stimulate the economy.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 12:13 AM   #10
DawnCt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel

I'm truly surprised Dawn doesn't know about this credit since it was a major element of Bush's tax program. When it was raised from $600 a year to $1,000 a year, people who qualified were even sent the $400 in the fall to stimulate the economy.
I do recall that. We didn't qualify so it didn't affect us. Obviously it was helpful to many since the economy is doing great. I am glad that you thought to give President Bush credit.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
N.Bailey
Pear is probably my all time favorite
I was like HUH? LOL
Prefers warm soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by tar heel

True, but people were only sent a $400 per child advancement on that year's tax return. So, the year it was increased to $1000, you could only receive an additional $600. Many people get that confused saying Bush gave extra monies out, but that's simply not true as it was simply an advancement. I'm not saying you were among those that said it, but many did and still do.

I don't understand the personal attack against Dawn though. I'm sure Bush has done many things that everyone isn't familiar with.
N.Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #12
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

That was a personal attack?

Dawn loves Bush, he made a really big deal about this wonderful thing he did for middle class Americans, and I was surprised she didn't remember it. I gave Bush "credit" b/c he took the credit -- if you were eligible, you got a letter saying you would get $400 b/c of President Bush. There were people on the DIS boards at the time thanking him for their $400. I could just as easily have added that I credit him with raising the deficit with this move.

In the spirit of full disclosure, especially since I mentioned the deficit, I do know that the child tax credit program was a Clinton administration program. It was even already scheduled to rise -- Bush just accelerated the schedule.

Last edited by tar heel; 06-27-2006 at 10:43 AM.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: