Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Disneytrip
Mouseketeer

Hyatt grand cypress or swan/POR for honeymoon?

As you can see in my signature Swan has been our home away from home the last few winters. We are getting married in Feb. but have a special promotion deal with free flights if we book at the Hyatt grand cypress. Should we go for this deal or splurge some (since we are having an intimate wedding) and stay at the Hyatt. Is the Hyatt as nice as the Swan and as romantic? TIA!

March, 2005, March 2006 Swan with DF

Feb, 2007 - Swan for our honeymoon!

Feb, 2008- Back to the Swan

Feb, 2009 - Swan ressies, ahh.. sun and the boardwalk
Disneytrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #2
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

you judge

http://grandcypress.hyatt.com/hyatt/...ypressredirect

It is as old as the Polyn and Cont at Disney.

but I have always wanted to stay here.....

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #3
utahkennedys
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at the Grand Cypress twice, once a year ago and once in 1999. We LOVED it in 1999, but I have to say, we didn't love it this time around. The decor hadn't changed (it needs to be updated in the rooms), but the grounds were still gorgeous. The pools are beautiful and it is very romantic there. I know you don't spend tons of time in your room at Disney, but I expect more now...the baths don't even have a separate vanity, it's just a tiny bath...We do like it there though, and I haven't stayed at the Swan before so I can't comment on that. The Grand Cypress does have a very nice, tucked away, private atmosphere. There aren't as many kids around either, more business people, the two times we've stayed. I should mention too that the first time we went, we didn't have kids. This last time we had dd3 and maybe that made the difference for us?
Old 06-23-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Red-Snapper
DIS Veteran

Stayed at the HRGC a few times

Very nice resort. Huge grounds, gardens , statues, ducks & swans. Enormous pool with waterfalls etc. lake with boats and jogging/bicycle trails as well as a nature reserve area.

Rooms are fine but have a very small walk on balcony. If you get a pool view room you can watch the firework displays across Disney each night.

Not being on Disney property it is pretty much a Mickey Mouse free zone - which you either want or you dont .

Along with the Ritz Carlton it is the best off property hotel in WDW area.

Anything else you want to know just ask/pm etc
Red-Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
CarolA

Hasn't been overlooked by the Tag Fairy

Having stayed at both... Hyatt is a much nicer hotel. Swan is a better location... Good luck!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
ilovepcot
Caused the first ever Tag Fairy thread edit for being naughty
Should be publicly Dole Whipped
Makes a scrumptious pot roast
Don't stick it out if you don't want to lose it

You may want to consider the Gaylord, too.
ilovepcot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #7
AC7179
DIS Veteran

Let me know what you decide.........we're staying there in April.
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
happymommy
DIS Veteran

We originally stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress for our honeymoon, Sept. 1993. The room was a drab business hotel room, no balcony, and the staff couldn't care less that we were on our honeymoon. We went over to the GF, asked to see a room, and were blown away by how the friendly the staff was. They had a walk in rate, so we packed up after 3 days at the Hyatt, and next morning checked out. I even told the staff that we were leaving early because they were so rude - they didn't care! Got into our room at the GF at 9:30 am, and loved it! Ordered coffee from room service (this was a splurge as we were newly married with almost no money) but the way they brought it was so sweet - set a tablecloth on the little table, handed me the paper (I'm in the plush robe) put water and a flower on the table, and poured the coffee for us. It was like - okay no we're really on a honeymoon! We even tried to change our return flight home to stay at the GF longer, but we couldn't afford the change fees for the flights. It was 4 nights of heaven after 3 nights of feeling like we were on a business trip.
It is a hard call if you have free flights. If you have to stay at the Hyatt, maybe you can get an upgraded room or a suite, or something. I'm sure a lot has changed in the almost 14 years since, but I felt the Disney hotel had such magic.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 08:49 AM   #9
f7prez
Are We There Yet???

Hyatt is a romantic place. Its a gorgeous hotel with lots of room to roam.
It is perfect for a honeymoon. It is also very close to WDW.

As you know, the location of the Swan is awesome. We stayed at the Dolphin and absolutely loved it.

If it is not a big deal to be off or on Disney property, I would suggest going with a hotel that you have NOT done yet.

Congratulations
f7prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Brian Noble
His Curmudgeonly Highness

I think, on a honeymoon, being "in the world" would count for a lot. I agree with maybe skipping the Swan, though, because you "always go there".

How hard would it be to *really* splurge and stay in a Disney deluxe? You only honeymoon once. (Well, once per spouse, anyway )
Brian Noble is offline   Reply With Quote