Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #1021
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,502
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydprincess View Post
Does ME participate with Southwest/Pop Century?
DME participates at every single Disney owned resort, in Orlando. It is RAC that has 'participating' airlines. RAC is not the same entity as DME. It is a completely different animal.

DME is the service that gets you to and from the airport to your resort. It will also deliver your checked bags upon arrival if properly tagged.

RAC (remote airline checkin) is pretty much the same thing as curbside service....but the 'curb' is quite a distance from the airport. If you are flying home on a 'participating' airline (which SW is now..except at CBR and OKW to the best of my knowledge), you will be able to check your bags at your resort the day of your departure, and get your boarding passes issued. Then, when it is time to head back to MCO, you can ride the DME bus if you have reserved it, drive your rental car or hire a cab or car service. Everyone is allowed to use RAC as long as you are staying at the resort and you are flying home on one of the participating airlines.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #1022
jvattes
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 405

Can I choose to keep one (smaller) piece of luggage without the DME tags and claim it myself at MCO? We are traveling with 2 small children and I am thinking that there will be more "necessities" that we will need than will fit in our carry-ons? I'd like to let DME handle the heaviest/largest/most luggage But I'd like to have on that we handle ourselves. Is this okay?

16 days to go!!!
jvattes is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 AM   #1023
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Downbeach from Atlantic City
Posts: 9,705

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvattes View Post
Can I choose to keep one (smaller) piece of luggage without the DME tags and claim it myself at MCO? We are traveling with 2 small children and I am thinking that there will be more "necessities" that we will need than will fit in our carry-ons? I'd like to let DME handle the heaviest/largest/most luggage But I'd like to have on that we handle ourselves. Is this okay?

16 days to go!!!
Sure, you can do whatever you want. It's not an all-or-nothing deal. Tag what you don't want to claim, don't tag what you do want to claim.

That's the facts, now here's an opinion:

You CAN pack everything you need in your carry-ons. Anything that you consider a "necessity" shouldn't be in ANY checked bag to begin with, just in case the airline delays your bags.

When we first went to WDW a few years ago, our kids were 5 and 2.5, the younger one still in diapers; our 5-year-old son was in kindergarten, and our 2.5-year-old daughter was (and still is) very very petite for her age. Each ticketed passenger is entitled to a carry-on, so we each had our own carry-on. Our kids were very very proud of their special travel backpacks. In each kid's backpack was fun stuff to keep then occupied for the flight itself, plus his/her bedtime buddy stuffed animal, plus PJs, plus a bathing suit, plus a change of clothes for the next day. This actually takes up very very little space (think about how much space is needed for one set of PJs and the next morning's clothes for one child ... you could almost fit that in your pocket!).

My wife and I, of course, had the diapers, allowable toiletries and snacks, plus our own bathing suits, PJs, and next morning's clothes.

So I'll skip over the idea that if you claim one bag you're really delaying yourself getting to your resort and starting your vacation. Instead, I'll seize on the fact that you CAN bring all of your "necessities" in carry-ons, and to protect yourself against airline-caused baggage delays you should pack for your first 24 hours' needs in your carry-ons.
__________________
-- Eric
CleveRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #1024
jvattes
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 405

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
Sure, you can do whatever you want. It's not an all-or-nothing deal. Tag what you don't want to claim, don't tag what you do want to claim.

That's the facts, now here's an opinion:

You CAN pack everything you need in your carry-ons. Anything that you consider a "necessity" shouldn't be in ANY checked bag to begin with, just in case the airline delays your bags.

When we first went to WDW a few years ago, our kids were 5 and 2.5, the younger one still in diapers; our 5-year-old son was in kindergarten, and our 2.5-year-old daughter was (and still is) very very petite for her age. Each ticketed passenger is entitled to a carry-on, so we each had our own carry-on. Our kids were very very proud of their special travel backpacks. In each kid's backpack was fun stuff to keep then occupied for the flight itself, plus his/her bedtime buddy stuffed animal, plus PJs, plus a bathing suit, plus a change of clothes for the next day. This actually takes up very very little space (think about how much space is needed for one set of PJs and the next morning's clothes for one child ... you could almost fit that in your pocket!).

My wife and I, of course, had the diapers, allowable toiletries and snacks, plus our own bathing suits, PJs, and next morning's clothes.

So I'll skip over the idea that if you claim one bag you're really delaying yourself getting to your resort and starting your vacation. Instead, I'll seize on the fact that you CAN bring all of your "necessities" in carry-ons, and to protect yourself against airline-caused baggage delays you should pack for your first 24 hours' needs in your carry-ons.
With the limits on toiletries now, it makes it tough. Especially regarding sunscreen, which I have yet to find in "trial" or "FAA approved" size. My other concern is re: lugging carryons through the airports and trying to corral the little ones all at once. I'm seeking to maintain my sanity LOL. But I see what you're getting at otherwise! Thanks for the info
jvattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #1025
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Downbeach from Atlantic City
Posts: 9,705

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvattes View Post
With the limits on toiletries now, it makes it tough. Especially regarding sunscreen, which I have yet to find in "trial" or "FAA approved" size. My other concern is re: lugging carryons through the airports and trying to corral the little ones all at once. I'm seeking to maintain my sanity LOL. But I see what you're getting at otherwise! Thanks for the info
Backpacks are wonderful carry-ons for exactly this purpose.

If need be, you can transfer sunscreen from the original container into one of an allowable size ... there's no requirement that liquids and gels be in their original containers, it's just that the containers have to be labeled for size/volume. We've gone to WDW with the kids twice since the restrictions on liquids/gels in carry-ons began in August 2006.

Of course, you'll do what you feel most comfortable doing. I'm just offering suggestions about how to make it as easy on yourself as possible.
__________________
-- Eric
CleveRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #1026
ohiotinkfan
"Tinking about Disney"
 
ohiotinkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 238

I am new to the ME system and I am a bit nervous. Since DH can't go on this last minute July trip my DD and DS and I will be using ME for the first time. We are flying Allegiant (I got some low rates + AP great rates = July last minute trip) and we have only carry-on bags. Where do we go once we arrive at the airport? When I booked the trip the lady on the phone said you don't go to baggage claim to get on ME you go to the Disney Welcome Center at the airport. Where is the Welcome Center? Yikes! Thanks for any help!
ohiotinkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #1027
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Downbeach from Atlantic City
Posts: 9,705

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiotinkfan View Post
I am new to the ME system and I am a bit nervous. Since DH can't go on this last minute July trip my DD and DS and I will be using ME for the first time. We are flying Allegiant (I got some low rates + AP great rates = July last minute trip) and we have only carry-on bags. Where do we go once we arrive at the airport? When I booked the trip the lady on the phone said you don't go to baggage claim to get on ME you go to the Disney Welcome Center at the airport. Where is the Welcome Center? Yikes! Thanks for any help!
Your DME booklet will have an easy-to-follow airport terminal map in it, along with verbal directions.
__________________
-- Eric
CleveRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #1028
ohiotinkfan
"Tinking about Disney"
 
ohiotinkfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 238

Thank you!
ohiotinkfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:19 PM   #1029
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,649

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvattes
With the limits on toiletries now, it makes it tough. Especially regarding sunscreen, which I have yet to find in "trial" or "FAA approved" size.
Do you have a Rite-Aid near you? I was in one Saturday (in North Reading, MA, I don't know how close you are to Massachusetts ) and they had a LOT of 1.5 ounce 30 spf sunscreen on a keychain. I can't think of the name, but it was a brand name. The last couple of years, Walgreens has had a store brand high spf sunscreen in three ounce containers.

They're out there.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:18 AM   #1030
PinkJade
Earning My Ears
 
PinkJade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: IL
Posts: 70

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I am hoping someone can answer my question.

We will be arriving one day before we are going to Disney. So we will arrive on 7/10 but not go to Disney until 7/11. We just got our travel documents and there is no information about Magical Express on there. I know we won't need any tags but we still want to use the bus.

Do we need to do anything to use Magical Express or can we just check in at the desk? Do we need to do anything to use the Magical Express to return back to the airport?

Just want to make sure we will be able to use the service with out any problems.

Thank you!
PinkJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:27 AM   #1031
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,649

Your Magical Express documents come entirely separate from your room/package reservation documents. They can arrive anywhere from six weeks to ten days before your trip. You made your DME reservation, right? Then no problem. Worst case, you go to the Welcome Center and tell them you don't have your packet. They'll have you in their system and issue you new vouchers.

If you don't have reservations, they can't transport you.
__________________
OFFICIAL 2014 Reading Challenge Participant 32/52
Phone Monkey; Phone Monkey 2; Phone Monkey Declined; The Barkeep; Ultimate Guide to Soapmaking; Brief Anecdotes from an Amusing Life; Twisted Disney; Tony Partly Cloudy; The Alternative Guide to Nursery Rhymes; Dead Woman's Shoes; South of Normal; Wal-Mart Book of Ethics; Las Vegas Cab Life; Savvy Travelers Guide: Boston Red Sox; Professor Plausible's Big Book of Baloney; Sweet Masterpiece; The President's Brain is Missing; Why Your Flight Attendant Hates You; Dirty Numbers; My Life on Craigslist; Retail Memories: When Customer Attack; The Village Idiots Cruise Club; How to Find Your Soulmate on the Internet - NOT!; The Dining Doctor; Cars & Stars; Tales in the Sky; Reader's Digest The Dumb Book; An Amazon Verified Purchase; Adventures in Casino Security; Waiter Rant; Keep the Change; Fairy Tales from the I.R.S.; now (still) reading "Hot Doug's", along with 'Match Dot C'mon', 'Cliches: A Dictionary of Recieved Ideas', 'The Chase', and 'Real Happy Family'
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:22 AM   #1032
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,502
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkJade View Post
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I am hoping someone can answer my question.

We will be arriving one day before we are going to Disney. So we will arrive on 7/10 but not go to Disney until 7/11. We just got our travel documents and there is no information about Magical Express on there. I know we won't need any tags but we still want to use the bus.

Do we need to do anything to use Magical Express or can we just check in at the desk? Do we need to do anything to use the Magical Express to return back to the airport?

Just want to make sure we will be able to use the service with out any problems.

Thank you!
Did you actually book your DME reservation with Disney?? You can not just walk up to the counter and ride the bus...you MUST have a prior reservation. So, call Disney today and have them add DME to your reservation. If you give DME 2 weeks notice, they can usually get your packet out to you. You can also make your return reservations at this time as well.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #1033
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,502
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvattes View Post
With the limits on toiletries now, it makes it tough. Especially regarding sunscreen, which I have yet to find in "trial" or "FAA approved" size. My other concern is re: lugging carryons through the airports and trying to corral the little ones all at once. I'm seeking to maintain my sanity LOL. But I see what you're getting at otherwise! Thanks for the info


http://www.minimus.biz/ Try this site. I love the variety of stuff that is available. I make a big order once a year and it covers all my trips.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #1034
DiSnEyFrEaK22
Mouseketeer
 
DiSnEyFrEaK22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 408

Hi everyone! My co-worker requested that I ask a question on the boards for him. He is using Disney's Magical Express, but he wants to know if it's possible to put his luggage only on the bus and have it delivered to his resort. His wife and children would like to rent a car and explore and not have to wait for Disney transportation. Can this be done? Thanks in advance!
__________________




Me (Jen) DH (Todd) DP (Bella & Charlie)
DiSnEyFrEaK22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:16 PM   #1035
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,502
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSnEyFrEaK22 View Post
Hi everyone! My co-worker requested that I ask a question on the boards for him. He is using Disney's Magical Express, but he wants to know if it's possible to put his luggage only on the bus and have it delivered to his resort. His wife and children would like to rent a car and explore and not have to wait for Disney transportation. Can this be done? Thanks in advance!



http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2015788

This thread should give you all the info you need.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: