Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #661
ahecht
Disney fanatic trapped in New England
 
ahecht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Billerica, MA
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey0930 View Post
Not sure if this has been asked yet or not. If so sorry I missed it. In the past when we used DME on the return to the airport, its seemed as though we arrived with just enough time to check in luggage and board. When I call to arrange a pickup do they ask for the flight number or just the time? I cant remember. I was thinking about telling them we depart an hour before the actual time to allow some extra time. I dont mind waiting at the airport, just dont like to be rushed like we have been in the past. Thanks
When you make your original DME reservation you give them a flight number, and they will schedule you on a bus that leaves WDW at least 3 hours before your departure (it's at least 4 hours before departure for international flights or on heavy travel days such as the day before Thanksgiving).

In my experience, I arrived at the airport with over two hours to go before my flight, and I was through security at 1hr 45mins before my flight.
__________________
!
ahecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 PM   #662
krolyat
Mouseketeer
 
krolyat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ocean City & Bowie, MD
Posts: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
Yes, you can still use DME without checked luggage. There's absolutely no requirement that you check luggage. In fact, there are people who use DME who choose NOT to let DME handle their checked luggage.

Have fun. You'll be among the few people who don't have to wonder if your airline will fly your luggage to Orlando on-time!
Thank you
__________________
Disney 2014 Food and Wine Festival & Mickey and MINIs 10!!!! Can't wait





krolyat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-22-2008, 05:11 AM   #663
angel12
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8

Smile thank you for this wonderful information

thank you keep posting such kind of valuable things.
i really appreciate your efforts.
angel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #664
thompsonsstation2dis
Mouseketeer
 
thompsonsstation2dis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Don't worry about it. For your arrival into MCO, they just need a 'ballpark' time. When you get to MCO and arrive at the DME checkin counter, they will ask you about your return flight times. You can give them your info then.
So, if we change our departure city (leaving from Nashville rather than Birmingham) but are still arriving on the same day within an hour of our original time, we don't need to contact anyone? And then for the return flight we can just tell them when we get there?

Thanks!
thompsonsstation2dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #665
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Downbeach from Atlantic City
Posts: 9,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonsstation2dis View Post
So, if we change our departure city (leaving from Nashville rather than Birmingham) but are still arriving on the same day within an hour of our original time, we don't need to contact anyone? And then for the return flight we can just tell them when we get there?

Thanks!
Yes, you are absolutely correct on all counts!
__________________
-- Eric
CleveRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #666
thompsonsstation2dis
Mouseketeer
 
thompsonsstation2dis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
Yes, you are absolutely correct on all counts!
Thanks - you ROCK! (couldn't resist). Seriously, I do enjoy reading your posts and appreciate the help.
thompsonsstation2dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:42 PM   #667
gardener14
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 445

I have a question about bell service and luggage storage on the day of my return home.

I would like to visit the parks on the morning of my departure date, so I will need to store my bags at the Pop Century resort with Bell services until my Magical Express bus arrives. However, I've never used such a service before. Do I have to bring my bags somewhere on that morning or do I notify someone to pick them up at my room? How do I retrieve them? I am flying Southwest, so I cannot use Resort Airline Check in.

Also, I just booked my trip yesterday for a departure on Jan. 20 through Southwest Vacations (yes, a last minute vacation). I requested ME service as part of my package, but do I need to do anything else (notify Disney, etc.) or do I just wait for my packet of information to arrive?
gardener14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #668
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 12,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener14 View Post
I have a question about bell service and luggage storage on the day of my return home.

I would like to visit the parks on the morning of my departure date, so I will need to store my bags at the Pop Century resort with Bell services until my Magical Express bus arrives. However, I've never used such a service before. Do I have to bring my bags somewhere on that morning or do I notify someone to pick them up at my room? How do I retrieve them? I am flying Southwest, so I cannot use Resort Airline Check in.

Also, I just booked my trip yesterday for a departure on Jan. 20 through Southwest Vacations (yes, a last minute vacation). I requested ME service as part of my package, but do I need to do anything else (notify Disney, etc.) or do I just wait for my packet of information to arrive?
Since you are staying at a Value Resort. It is easy. Call Luggage Services the night before you depart and tell them you are in Room xxxx and would like your luggage picked up in your room any time between xx:xx am and xx:xx am. The morning of your departure leave all your luggage packed and stacked up by the window and it will be picked up at their convenience and stored for you. Although Luggage Services is not a tipped position, leaving a few dollars on top of the bags is appreciated.

Head for the parks when you are ready to leave that morning and arrive back at Pop Century at least 40 minutes before your DME time. Claim your bags from Luggage Services and wait for the bus to arrive. Your bags will be loaded under the bus by the driver (tip is appreciated) and you will be dropped off at the 1st floor of the airport. At the first floor of the airport there should be skycaps and/or luggage carts, you then take your luggage to the 3rd floor of the airport, check in with the Southwest desk or curbside and proceed to you gate.

Since you told Southwest Vacations you wanted to use DME then you are all set. If you don't receive luggage tags within a few weeks, you could call DME to make sure you are in their system. You don't need tags to use the arrival delivery service, and as long as you are in their system, they will print you a bus pass upon arrival.

Enjoy your trip!!!
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:59 PM   #669
gardener14
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 445

Clkelley...thank you so very much for the prompt and thorough reply. I appreciate the detailed answer about luggage services.

I've seen other posts here that mention arriving back at the resort anywhere from 20 to 40 to 60 to even 90 minutes before the ME bus is scheduled to return us to the airport. What is the reality behind this situation? I want have time to pick up my bags and catch the bus without needless waiting, but I don't want to miss it either.

When I need to catch the ME bus, I'll be returning to Pop Century from a park in the middle of the day on a Disney bus. Will I be able to rely on the resort bus being consistent and getting me there in a reasonable time or do I need to leave the park very early to allow for inconsistent schedules? I've heard that the resort buses can be hit or miss, but I don't want to cut my last day too short if I don't have to. It's already a half day at the park as it is.
gardener14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:44 PM   #670
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Madison, AL
Posts: 12,852

The reason for allowing so much time is the time stated on your paperwork is when the bus LEAVES your resort so you need to give yourself time to get to the resort use the restroom and give luggage services plenty of time to locate and bring you your bags We always get there a couple of hours early and spend an hour at the bar. We generally have a very late flight home No need to be stressed to make your bus
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #671
kgle
My son's slave
 
kgle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,549

They provide 2 luggage tags per person right? I am able to check a carseat and stroller in lieue of one checked bag since I am travelling with a toddler.

I may be flying Southwest because it seems they are probably cheaper than anyone else with their no checked baggage fees. Now, since they are not "preferred" how would I get my luggage onto DME? I am assuming I will have to take it there myself? Just wondering since I will have a 3 year old with me and its going to be difficult to carry a carseat, stroller, a carryon, laptop bag, and 2 large suitcases on my own! I have found in my own experiences that people are not helpful at airports and will watch you struggle rather than help you.

Just curious! I have yet to book my flight but I want to have all the info in front of me first. I know this has probably been asked over and over, but this thread is very long!
__________________
kgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #672
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead
 
Chip 'n Dale Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 7,255

Check out the first post in this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=944813
__________________
-Tyler
Transportation Board Moderator
Chip 'n Dale Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 PM   #673
cg1200
DIS Veteran
 
cg1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Conn.
Posts: 523

Hi, after much deliberation I've finally decided to give DME a shot. I've been using car service since 2003 before DME existed but prices have gone up. The cab is now $125 round trip plus tip. I am leaving next friday (Jan 16th). Do i have any chance of getting my tags in the mail? If not do I make my own like another poster suggested or just give my baggage claim ticket to the ME counter person?
__________________
cg1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #674
ahecht
Disney fanatic trapped in New England
 
ahecht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Billerica, MA
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgle View Post
I may be flying Southwest because it seems they are probably cheaper than anyone else with their no checked baggage fees. Now, since they are not "preferred" how would I get my luggage onto DME? I am assuming I will have to take it there myself? Just wondering since I will have a 3 year old with me and its going to be difficult to carry a carseat, stroller, a carryon, laptop bag, and 2 large suitcases on my own! I have found in my own experiences that people are not helpful at airports and will watch you struggle rather than help you.
There is no such thing as a "preferred" airline for Disney's Magical Express. No matter what airline you choose, DME can pick up your luggage from the baggage claim and send it to your resort when you arrive.

Resort Airline Check-in, which you use when you depart WDW, does however only work with certain "participating" airlines. If your airline uses this service, you (or Bell Services) carry your luggage to the front desk and they check it in there. If your airline doesn't use this service (and Southwest doesn't), then you or Bell Services carry your luggage to the front desk, the DME driver loads your luggage onto the bus and then unloads it at the airport, and then you must carry it to either the check-in desk or a skycap. There are luggage carts available to rent near where DME drops you off.
__________________
!

Last edited by ahecht; 01-05-2009 at 09:25 PM.
ahecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:44 PM   #675
kgle
My son's slave
 
kgle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 1,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahecht View Post
There is no such thing as a "preferred" airline for Disney's Magical Express. No matter what airline you choose, DME can pick up your luggage from the baggage claim and send it to your resort when you arrive.

Resort Airline Check-in, which you use when you depart WDW, does however only work with certain "participating" airlines. If your airline uses this service, you (or Bell Services) carry your luggage to the front desk and they check it in there. If your airline doesn't use this service (and Southwest doesn't), then you or Bell Services carry your luggage to the front desk, the DME driver loads your luggage onto the bus and then unloads it at the airport, and then you must carry it to either the check-in desk or a skycap. There are luggage carts available to rent near where DME drops you off.
Oh I meant participating airlines then. So basically the only downside is that you have to check your own luggage on your return flight correct? I think I can handle that...thanks for the information!
__________________
kgle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: