Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #496
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear67 View Post
I just wanted to help someone out and sorry if you all didn't have the experience I had or other friends of mine had with SW but you are the lucky ones it seems.
Please trust me on this one ... we all were not "lucky" ... you guys were extremely unlucky. DME has been operating the way I described above for over 3 years now, and for those of us who've been hanging around this board that long, your post is THE FIRST TIME we've ever read any such description. Your describing us experiencing DME the way it is designed as "lucky" implies that it usually does not operate that way. It is more accurate to describe your experience as "unlucky" as that implies a more rare or not-usual experience.

Quote:
I hope next time I fly SW it will work out like that. I will take the infor you and the Mod have given me and ASK many questions to the Airline when I book to make sure.
It will be a mistake to ask Southwest Airlines about the in-bound luggage handling, because Southwest has nothing to do with it, has no responsibility for it, and thus really knows nothing about it. I'm sure the SWA baggage managers who work in the bowels of MCO know all about it, but no one, and I do mean NO ONE, who works at a SWA call center in Dallas or New Delhi knows anything about how Disney's Magical Express handles baggage at MCO. DME does not exist outside of MCO and the Walt Disney World Resort.

If you call SWA, they will have no bloody clue what you're talking about. They truly have nothing to do with it, as I explained in a post above.

Let me give you a silly example ....

Let's say you have a cousin named Bob who lives central Florida who offered to do you a favor. He offered to pick up your luggage for you when you fly into MCO, to save you the trouble of going to baggage claim and lugging it to your resort. He offered that you can just go right from your plane to a bus, carefree, and that he will get your bags for you and he'll deliver them to your WDW resort for you. As a signal to let him know which bags are yours, he sends you some bright yellow yarn to attach to each of your checked bags. SO you made this arrangement with your cousin Bob. Southwest Airlines has nothing to do with the agreement you have for your cousin Bob to get your bags for you. In the same exact way, Southwest Airlines has nothing to do with the agreement you have with Disney to get your bags for you.

It's exactly the same thing.

You just have to adjust to the idea that your experience was a very very rare and odd experience. You posted your experience with the noble idea to help others out. Yet when others of us here are attempting to help YOU out, you appear distrustful and unaccepting of our collective experiences, our collective knowledge, and our collective desire to help.

Last edited by CleveRocks; 06-05-2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: I just love the color red.
CleveRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #497
CleveRocks

Quote:
Well that is what had happen to us and bascially I feel like you are calling us a liar and I don't appreciate that at all. I don't lie
ALthough she hardly needs my help, I feel I must come to goofy4tink's defense here. You misinterpreted what she wrote.

She was NOT calling you a liar. She was NOT saying that what happened to you didn't happen. Based upon my 3+ years around here, I am supremely confident that when she wrote ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink
I'm sorry but that's just not true.
... she was NOT referring to your report of your experience. When she wrote "that's just not true" she was referring to your incorrect (but well-intended) blanket statement of "fact" in post # 490 that ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear67
That doesn't happen with SW you have to pick it up yourself.
I agree with her that your statement quoted immediately above is incorrect. It may be what you were told by a truly delusional CM, but it is absolutely untrue that it's a DME policy that SWA passengers do not receive the automatic luggage delivery from MCO to their WDW resort room.

I realize that it's easy to misinterpret what someone writes. But based on my 3+ years of experience "knowing" goofy4tink, I can assure you from the bottom of my laptop that she was NOT calling you a liar. She was informing you and everyone else that your statements about standard DME procedures were incorrect, but she was not telling you that what happened to you didn't happen to you.

Last edited by CleveRocks; 06-05-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: stoopid typoes
CleveRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 AM   #498
toledo13
A dream is a wish your heart makes.

I'm sorry- I'm the one who started this whole thing . So if I'm understanding this right ---

If I put my yellow tag on my luggage before I get to the airport, check in with Southwest, fly to Orlando, get on DME and arrive at POP, the bags will appear in my room in a few hours? And then when I leave, I take the yellow tag off, take my bags with me to the DME, and check in and fly home as normal... right?
toledo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #499
Poohbear67
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo13 View Post
I'm sorry- I'm the one who started this whole thing . So if I'm understanding this right ---

If I put my yellow tag on my luggage before I get to the airport, check in with Southwest, fly to Orlando, get on DME and arrive at POP, the bags will appear in my room in a few hours? And then when I leave, I take the yellow tag off, take my bags with me to the DME, and check in and fly home as normal... right?
No biggie everyone has different points of view on things and no one is mad (well at least I am not mad at anyone, I can't speak for anyone else) at anyone.

So I would just suggest that you call ahead and talk with SW and make sure that there will be no problems with your luggage God forbid you get there and no luggage shows up I can see it now walking around Disney in the same clothes day in and day out oh my.

Best thing is to have a GREAT FANTASTIC VACATION at HOME (DISNEY)!!

April "08" AKL
April "08"Pop Century April "08"
MNSSHP Sept. "08"
Pop Century Sept. "08"
All Star Music Dec. "07"
Pop Century Mojito Gang "07"
MNSSHP Sept. 14th "07
AK Sept. "06"
All Star Sports Sept. "06"
Poohbear67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #500
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Well that is what had happen to us and bascially I feel like you are calling us a liar and I don't appreciate that at all. I don't lie and all I was trying to do was help a fellow Dis person out with some info (and yes WE HAD OUR TAGS ON OUR BAGS). I questioned the same thing due to the fact the SW was on the list and the Staff member told me that they are on the list but do not do anything with the luggage at this time or something to that effect. She told us that we would have to go get our luggae and take it to the buses ourselves and then take it to our rooms.

Yes our luggage was there when we left the desk so in fact if we would have done what you are suggesting then we wouldn't have had any clothes they would have been at the airport. Again I am not trying to be rude or nasty I am just stating the experience "WE" went through and what "WE WERE TOLD" and when I asked my fellow Dis Friends who also fly SW if they have had anything like that happend to them and they all agreeded. In Fact one of my Dis Friends is a good friend of an agent at SW.
Please, I am not doubting you at all. I have heard of others having this exact same situation, and to be honest, it angers me. I hate it when I hear of DME employees (I won't even call those that hand out bad info CM's!!!) giving incorrect info..it's not fair to the guest. There are DME employees, TA's, all sorts of people, giving out incorrect info, when they should have been better trained and been given the right info. Why in God's name would I, a lowly unofficial WDW site moderator, have better info than a DME employee?? That is maddening to me.
Again, I'm sorry you had this happen to you. It is certainly not your fault and I lay no blame at your feet. You were given bad info. I'm sorry you took my post to mean that I disbelieved you..nothing could have been further from the truth.

Quote:

No, you 'started' nothing. It's a good thing when people post with questions because generally speaking, they are not the only ones with that question.
So...yes, you've got it. As long as you are flying home on a participating airline (with RAC) you can check those bags right at your resort. Otherwise, your bags go with you, but underneath your bus, and you check them the 'old-fashioned' way at the airport.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:28 AM   #501
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
No biggie everyone has different points of view on things and no one is mad (well at least I am not mad at anyone, I can't speak for anyone else) at anyone.

So I would just suggest that you call ahead and talk with SW and make sure that there will be no problems with your luggage God forbid you get there and no luggage shows up I can see it now walking around Disney in the same clothes day in and day out oh my.

Best thing is to have a GREAT FANTASTIC VACATION at HOME (DISNEY)!!
You can call SW but they aren't going to care, or worse yet, the person you get on the phone will not have the info you need and again you will get bad info.
SW is included in the luggage delivery service via DME...believe me. It's true. There will be no problems with luggage delivery when flying in on SW. It's only the departure from your resort. SW is not a 'participating airline' in the RAC service...which is not DME. It is a completely different entity. Man...I wish Disney would stop marketing it as part of DME. Just adds to travel confusion. How can it be part of DME when they offer the same service in Las Vegas!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 07:29 AM   #502
CleveRocks

Quote:

EXACTLY. Good job!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #503
CleveRocks

Quote:
Please re-read my post #496, the paragraph after the second time I quoted you, for an explanation about why calling Southwest is just a useless idea. I say this to be helpful.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #504
avspilot69
Earning My Ears

NO LUGGAGE TAGS,

Folks,

We are arriving on the 17th (next week) and I dont have the yellow tags. I called Disney and was told not too worry and just go to the welcome center and hand them our baggage claim tags and they would pick em up and deliver to our room. I am extremely worried since this will be our the first time using DME and our 2nd visit since 1996. I have 2 littlle kids (4 & 2) and we are arriving at 6pm, and I'm concerned that our luggage will arrive way too late! Any advice will be appreciated.

PS - I know I goofed, I should have followed up on this weeks ago.
avspilot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:45 PM   #505
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by avspilot69 View Post
NO LUGGAGE TAGS,

Folks,

We are arriving on the 17th (next week) and I dont have the yellow tags. I called Disney and was told not too worry and just go to the welcome center and hand them our baggage claim tags and they would pick em up and deliver to our room. I am extremely worried since this will be our the first time using DME and our 2nd visit since 1996. I have 2 littlle kids (4 & 2) and we are arriving at 6pm, and I'm concerned that our luggage will arrive way too late! Any advice will be appreciated.

PS - I know I goofed, I should have followed up on this weeks ago.
NO WORRIES!

Honestly, you have NO NEED TO WORRY. See all the stuff written below this? It's full of GOOD NEWS. I have no bad news for you!!!

First of all, the procedure they described (claim tickets, etc.) has been in place since Day One, which was over 3 years ago. It seems new and strange and risky to you, but to the DME folks it's just another day at the office.

I can tell you this. We've read MANY people expressing the same concern as you, but we've never read a single person coming back to complain that this "Plan B" (my term, not Disney's) didn't work as promised. Never one single complaint about that here on the DIS.

If you're landing around 6, expect your luggage by 10-ish. The key here is to pack your immediate needs in your carry-ons. Each ticketed passenger is permitted a carry-on item AND a personal item. For our first family trip, our 5 year old and 2.5 year old were so proud of their little backpacks they got to take on the plane.

EVen if you weren't using DME's luggage service, I'd still be here strongly advising you to pack for your first 24 hours in your carry-ons, just in case the AIRLINE delays your luggage. This way, you have a guaranteed "normal" bedtime routine and a guaranteed fresh change of clothes for the morning.

It takes up much less space than you think: PJs, allowable toiletries, favorite bedtime buddies, change of clothes for the morning, etc. I'll bet if you actually gather this stuff for the family, you'll see how it will very easily and comfortably fit into even one carry-on bag, let alone 4 or more.

In fact, for our most recent trip, we landed at 10 p.m. and arrived at POFQ 56 minutes later via DME. We planned to ask Bell Services to hold our DME luggage 'til morning, but I forgot to ask. We had all of the above in our carry-ons, and believe me the carry-ons weren't overstuffed AT ALL. We ended up getting a call at 1:16 a.m. asking if we wanted our bags delivered, and we declined. I called for them when I got up at 6:30 a.m., but we didn't even open them before we left for a park that morning, because we didn't need anything in them yet.

It's a nice secure feeling to know that you have everything you need for the first day no matter what. If you've ever suffered through delayed bags (like I have in other cities), then you know what I'm talking about.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #506
avspilot69
Earning My Ears

Thank you Eric. We are all very excited and look forward to WDW.
avspilot69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #507
aurora1979
Earning My Ears

okay i have a question. Last july when i went to WDW (did not use magical xpress)I went to baggage claim only to discover that my bag wasn't there. after 20 min i went to the room where bags that were randomly selected to be searched are. my bag was there and i had to show i.d. and sign for it. This year we are using magical xpress, and i am very nervous as to what would happen if this happened to my bag again. How would magical xpress know it was in the screening room ? I had to figure it out for myself! any thoughts out there ?
aurora1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #508
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora1979 View Post
okay i have a question. Last july when i went to WDW (did not use magical xpress)I went to baggage claim only to discover that my bag wasn't there. after 20 min i went to the room where bags that were randomly selected to be searched are. my bag was there and i had to show i.d. and sign for it. This year we are using magical xpress, and i am very nervous as to what would happen if this happened to my bag again. How would magical xpress know it was in the screening room ? I had to figure it out for myself! any thoughts out there ?
Most likely won't happen again. But, if it does......Disney will take the responsibility of getting any bags that are held at MCO. When you checkin at the DME counter, at the airport, they will ask you how many bags you have checked. I'm going to 'assume' that if they have plugged in '2' checked bags for you, that when they do their scans, and only one bag shows as recieved, some how that other bag will be shown as 'missing'. The baggage people will know where to look for it.
Now...on the off chance that it is overlooked and you realize that you have only one of two bags in your room, you would then notify the luggage assistance people at your resort. They will then track down the missing bag.
Or, if you are really nervous about it and will only worry about it until you see all the bags in your room....don't tag the bags, then go to baggage claim yourself and claim them. Take them with you to the DME checkin counter and they will be put underneath your bus when you board.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:59 PM   #509
rico567
Earning My Ears

Well, our DME luggage tags and instructions arrived today. I must say that once I was able to get through to the correct Disney department, the packet was generated and arrived in the mail very quickly.

As for finding out who to call, and establishing our bona fides when we did, that was an out-of-body experience that's probably not appropriate for this thread.......
rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:40 PM   #510
TheSilverTherapist
The Geekiest Guy You've Ever Met

I skimmed through the thread, but didn't see this specific question addressed.

How long before our vacation should we expect to get the tags in the mail and what should we do if they don't arrive by that time.
Sep 2008 - CSR (1st Wedding Anniversary) Sep 2009 - BCV
Sep 2013 - AoA, OKW (30th Birthday)

TheSilverTherapist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: