Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 AM   #31
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks
Which makes it exactly like an airline/TSA luggage tag, the ones put on by skycaps or ticket agents. Those tags are looped, and are sticky only at the end of the loop. Same with DME tags. If there wasn't a loop, they wouldn't be able to move. If they weren't able to move, you'd have trouble gripping the luggage handle and then might end up tearing or otherwise mutilating the tag.
Actually, the sticky stuff is on the entire tag on both DME tags and airline routing tags. That way if you have a footlocker or are checking a cardboard box or something similar, they can take the entire backing off and stick it on the container flat.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:29 AM   #32
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

I have a question about gate checked luggage.

On a recent trip, I had checked luggage with the appropriate tags and also a carryon bag. I had very carefully packed the bag so that it would fit under my seat. Well, TSA decided to totally go through my bag and trashed my careful packing, so it would no longer fit under the seat. The FA "gate checked" my bag and gave me a ticket.

To be on the safe side, I took the time to claim that bag at the carousel.

Could I have given the DME folks that gate check ticket and still bypassed luggage claim??
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #33
kddlm
Mouseketeer

Still feeling like an idiot here even after reading this thread.....so on the "REMOVE THIS PORTION ONLY" little square with bar codes only portion of the tag.......what happens to that part? Do I retain that and only loop the large tag around the luggage handle (part with name and resort).
VBR/OKW (April 2009/
Spring Break Trip-OKW/VBR (2010)
September 2010 - OKW
April/May 2012 - BWV
DCL-Fantasy March 2013
kddlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #34
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddlm
Still feeling like an idiot here even after reading this thread.....so on the "REMOVE THIS PORTION ONLY" little square with bar codes only portion of the tag.......what happens to that part? Do I retain that and only loop the large tag around the luggage handle (part with name and resort).
You got it! Only remove those little 1"x1 1/2" areas at both ends of the yellow tag. Slip the whole yellow tag around your luggage handle and then stick those two ends together. The tag should be able to move around freely.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #35
kddlm
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the clarification goofy4tink!
VBR/OKW (April 2009/
Spring Break Trip-OKW/VBR (2010)
September 2010 - OKW
April/May 2012 - BWV
DCL-Fantasy March 2013
kddlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:50 PM   #36
HolliePoppins
DIS Veteran

We are only using dme to go back to the airport. Am I understanding right that you do not use the luggage tags for the trip back to the airport? We are staying at Pop so do we bring our luggage to the dme desk ourselves? Also with our carryons where do we leave these on our last day while we go to the parks? I do not want them to get mixed up with the checked luggage as we will need the stuff in them. Thanks
HolliePoppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:42 PM   #37
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolliePoppins
We are only using dme to go back to the airport. Am I understanding right that you do not use the luggage tags for the trip back to the airport? We are staying at Pop so do we bring our luggage to the dme desk ourselves? Also with our carryons where do we leave these on our last day while we go to the parks? I do not want them to get mixed up with the checked luggage as we will need the stuff in them. Thanks
DME is fine with being used as a one-way operation, in either direction. No, no luggage tags needed on the way TO the airport.

And just to clarify, even though this is a pretty fine point -- there is no DME desk at the resorts. There is a Resort Airline Check-In (RAC) desk for those who are lucky enough to be flying a "participating" airline, but if you're not flying a participating airline (and hence can't check your luggage in at your resort) then there is nowhere and no one to check in with for DME purposes. You just have to have yourself at the right place by the right time to get the bus.

What to do with your luggage depends on what airline you're flying. If you're flying a "participating" airline, you can use RAC, where you check your luggage in for your flight at your resort, and then won't see it again until it's on your home airport's baggage claim carousel. HOWEVER, if you're NOT flying a "participating" airline, you have to get your luggage to the DME bus, then the driver will load it under the bus, and you'll get it right back as soon as you arrive a tthe airport, then you get it to your airline's check-in counter, etc.

If you're using RAC, you have to at least be with your luggage when it gets to the RAC desk. In other words, you can't just have Pop's Luggage Assistance pick up your bags in your room and then forget about them until you arrive back your home airport. Luggage Assistance can get your bags to the RAC desk for you, but then you have to personaly check the bags in with RAC.

Next subject. Any halfway decent hotel in the USA will store bags for you after you check out, up through 11:59 p.m. that day. Disney resorts are no exception. You can get them to store your carry-ons between the time you check-out and the time you ar waiting for your DME bus. If you're not using RAC, then the resort can, of course, also store your suitcases for you.

And if the resort is storing anything for you, make sure to ask for it AT LEAST 20 minutes before your DME bus is scheduled to arrive.

Last thing: HAVE FUN!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:39 AM   #38
cccm
I thought your underwear only had to be clean in case of an accident
You would see undies hanging up and down the backyards and know what everyone wore

I leave tomorrow AM and found this thread very helpful. Now I know about the AK in the mickey.

Question though.....more the paranoid side of me. What if your checked bags got lost by airline?? You wouldn't know for quite a while and would then have to speak to someone at the airport from your resort. Has anyone had this happen before.

I am thinking I will not use luggage tags and just claim my own luggage.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:47 AM   #39
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccm
I leave tomorrow AM and found this thread very helpful. Now I know about the AK in the mickey.

Question though.....more the paranoid side of me. What if your checked bags got lost by airline?? You wouldn't know for quite a while and would then have to speak to someone at the airport from your resort. Has anyone had this happen before.

Disney will do all of the luggage tracking-down for you. You wouldn't have to go back to the airport to track down your luggage, Disney will do it on your behalf as part of the DME service. You could continue having fun in WDW while Disney does your dirty work. Sounds nice.

If the airline mishandles your bags and they are NOT DME-tagged, then you'd have to waste time hanging around the airport filling out forms, etc., rather than starting your WDW vacation.

IMHO, put the DME tags on your checked bags, pack a sensible carry-on with your supplies for the first 24 hours, and enjoy your trip!
Old 08-03-2006, 05:30 AM   #40
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccm

To add to what Eric said.....when you check-in at the DME desk, they will ask you how many bags you have checked. So, if something happens to them, DME will know how many bags they are tracking.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:31 AM   #41
cccm
I thought your underwear only had to be clean in case of an accident
You would see undies hanging up and down the backyards and know what everyone wore

Thanks Cleverocks and goofy4tink! The information is very helpful. I am not used to such organization from any company. But then again I haven't dealt with Disney in a while.

I will put my tag on my piece of luggage and relax. So excited...we leave tomorrow AM for a nice long relaxing weekend!
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 PM   #42
eternallydisney03
Earning My Ears

i have a question about this as well - i received luggage tags but they were for the wrong DATE.. had us arriving on 8/20, not 8/12. Called & got this fixed by a CM. Problem is, she said they'd be shipping the new tags to us, but we haven't got them and we leave next Friday! I called towards the end of June, so I don't see why the luggage tags wouldn't be here. Anyway, my question is.. what do I do if I don't have luggage tags? I heard the whole "find a brightly colored ribbon and tie it to your suitcases, and show the DME people the ribbon" thing.. but will they really be able to find the bags just from a piece of ribbon??

Hoping to have this list GROOWWW as the years go by!:

Aug 2003 - Dolphin
Aug 2006 - ASMo & FREE DINING!! (10 days!!)
Aug 2007 - ASMo & free dining, again!! (10 days!)
eternallydisney03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #43
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallydisney03
i have a question about this as well - i received luggage tags but they were for the wrong DATE.. had us arriving on 8/20, not 8/12. Called & got this fixed by a CM. Problem is, she said they'd be shipping the new tags to us, but we haven't got them and we leave next Friday! I called towards the end of June, so I don't see why the luggage tags wouldn't be here. Anyway, my question is.. what do I do if I don't have luggage tags? I heard the whole "find a brightly colored ribbon and tie it to your suitcases, and show the DME people the ribbon" thing.. but will they really be able to find the bags just from a piece of ribbon??
I would give DME a call to check on what they are showing in their computer. They should be able to give you better advice depending on what their system says. Perhaps they will tell you to use your existing tags, even though they are incorrectly dated...as long as the reservation number/resort is correct.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #44
tracys2cents
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the info, but I'm a worry-wart and like to be prepared for the worst. My question is on the return.

We are flying Jet Blue so I can check my bags at the participating airline desk and kiss them goodbye. Is THIS the same point that I will be told what bus to take and what time it leaves?
What if we miss our bus? I imagine they'd put us on another one in a half hour...but would we have to do something about our bags? Would they have been removed from the scheduled bus? And if so, where would we go to retrieve and re-check them? Thanks again!
tracys2cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:09 PM   #45
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracys2cents
Thanks for all the info, but I'm a worry-wart and like to be prepared for the worst. My question is on the return.

We are flying Jet Blue so I can check my bags at the participating airline desk and kiss them goodbye. Is THIS the same point that I will be told what bus to take and what time it leaves?
What if we miss our bus? I imagine they'd put us on another one in a half hour...but would we have to do something about our bags? Would they have been removed from the scheduled bus? And if so, where would we go to retrieve and re-check them? Thanks again!
As long as you are registered with DME, you will receive an information packet hung on your resort room door the day before your departure. It will tell you what time to be at the bus stop for your return to the airport. You will also need the vouchers in that packet to give to the bus driver.
If you check your bags at the airline check in desk the AM of your departure, your luggage will be put on a truck and taken to the airport. You will not see your luggage until you arrive at your home airport. All members of your party must go to the airport luggage check in desk with you to show ID. Its the same as checking in at the airport....
shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: