Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44sun
I know I should be asking my TA this question, but thought others could benefit from the answer...I booked our trip through AAA and reserved DME, do we receive a 'transportation packet' with yellow tags or are there other hoops that we jump through to use the service? Thanks!
(Great idea, btw!)
Your travel agent should have signed you up for DME when they booked your trip. You can confirm this directly with them. If they didn't, you can either have them do it for you, or call DME yourself with your flight information.

The DME package usually arrives about 30 days prior to your travel date.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #17
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44sun
I know I should be asking my TA this question, but thought others could benefit from the answer...I booked our trip through AAA and reserved DME, do we receive a 'transportation packet' with yellow tags or are there other hoops that we jump through to use the service? Thanks!
(Great idea, btw!)
In most cases, DME packets have been sent to the agent that booked the trip..in your case it would be AAA. They, in turn, are supposed to ship it right out to you. I would call your AAA agent, and double check to see if all is okay and to make sure that they get your packet to you directly.
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #18
44sun
Mouseketeer

Thanks for taking the time with my question! I will contact my TA! We're still far enough out not to worry. Thanks again!

Nov. 2003 - Celebration World Resort
Nov. 2006 - Wilderness Lodge
Oct. 2010 - a Tuscan Ridge home
Oct. 2013 - Emerald Island home - a mother, daughter & friends vacation!

Mom DD17 DD20

Be kind...
44sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
essmom
DIS Veteran

just reading about the tags- we leave in morning- it only has a very small portion that you remove- i of course removed it all before reading it- does it really matter- I would think you could just stick them together but doing it THEIR way you are only sticking the ends together-
essmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:14 PM   #20
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by essmom
just reading about the tags- we leave in morning- it only has a very small portion that you remove- i of course removed it all before reading it- does it really matter- I would think you could just stick them together but doing it THEIR way you are only sticking the ends together-
Which makes it exactly like an airline/TSA luggage tag, the ones put on by skycaps or ticket agents. Those tags are looped, and are sticky only at the end of the loop. Same with DME tags. If there wasn't a loop, they wouldn't be able to move. If they weren't able to move, you'd have trouble gripping the luggage handle and then might end up tearing or otherwise mutilating the tag.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:18 PM   #21
essmom
DIS Veteran

thanks Eric- I don't fly very often so now I know- that makes total sense- Looking forward to the trip!!
essmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #22
SLDL
DIS Veteran

Thanks so much for such a useful thread...one question: how long does it take for the luggage to arrive in your room? We are arriving approx. 1p.m. to the airport & have plans for the Halloween party that evening. I'm wondering if I should carry-on my costumes or take a chance that they'll be there on time! I'm very nervous about this!!!

Thanks!
SLDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #23
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLDL
Thanks so much for such a useful thread...one question: how long does it take for the luggage to arrive in your room? We are arriving approx. 1p.m. to the airport & have plans for the Halloween party that evening. I'm wondering if I should carry-on my costumes or take a chance that they'll be there on time! I'm very nervous about this!!!

Thanks!
The luggage may arrive 2-3 hours after you do. But more to the point, TAKE THE COSTUMES IN YOUR
CARRY-ONS
. WHAT IF THE AIRLINE DELAYS YOUR LUGGAGE???
That way, you'll have no reason to feel nervous, because the costumes will ALWAYS be in your possession.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:53 PM   #24
UltimateWDWFan
Mouseketeer

Question What if my bags get to my hotel before I check in?

I'd like to run straight to the parks when I arrive. (I have an AP and would like to catch Illuminations that night.) This means that my bags might make it to my hotel before I've checked in. Will they assign a room and stick my bags in the room if I haven't check in when they get there, or will I have to hunt them down somewhere after I've checked in?
UltimateWDWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:15 AM   #25
Love2BinDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateWDWFan
I'd like to run straight to the parks when I arrive. (I have an AP and would like to catch Illuminations that night.) This means that my bags might make it to my hotel before I've checked in. Will they assign a room and stick my bags in the room if I haven't check in when they get there, or will I have to hunt them down somewhere after I've checked in?
I don't believe they will assign you a room if you have not checked in but will hold them in bell storage. We have done this where we did check in but did not bother to wait for our luggage because we just wanted to get into the parks. Our luggage was waiting in our room.
Love2BinDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:03 AM   #26
flyfan
30 years since my first visit to Meet the Mouse

We leave tomorrow and I cannot for the life of me find my DME tags anywhere! sob!!!

Is it really as simple as tyler says?

You can claim your bags like normal, or you can have Disney claim them for you as if you did have those yellow tags. Bypass baggage claim, and go straight to the Welcome Center. From there, give the Cast Member your luggage claim tickets. They will create replacement tags for you, find your bags, tag them, and send them to your resort.

Can we really bypass baggage claim and the bags will be claimed for us, even without the DME tags? This would be a huge relief as I am traveling with 2 kids and no other adults and was thrilled to be able to utilize this service.

Hopefully this will be a moot point and I will find the tags, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!!
flyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:20 AM   #27
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfan
We leave tomorrow and I cannot for the life of me find my DME tags anywhere! sob!!!

Is it really as simple as tyler says?

You can claim your bags like normal, or you can have Disney claim them for you as if you did have those yellow tags. Bypass baggage claim, and go straight to the Welcome Center. From there, give the Cast Member your luggage claim tickets. They will create replacement tags for you, find your bags, tag them, and send them to your resort.

Can we really bypass baggage claim and the bags will be claimed for us, even without the DME tags? This would be a huge relief as I am traveling with 2 kids and no other adults and was thrilled to be able to utilize this service.
Never fear. All the above is correct. They have had this procedure in place since Day One. I know because I used it on Day Four.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:07 AM   #28
mostyn17
DIS Veteran

Ok...we are going in Sept. We are not signed up for DME service, but will we still get the luggage tags in our reservation packet? I want to use the luggage service! It's great not worring about your luggage.

Thanks for your help!
Travis

mostyn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:15 AM   #29
TeresaMc
Mouseketeer

You cannot use the luggage service if you are not using the motorcoach service. If you don't get on the bus, your luggage doesn't go to the resort.
July 2008 LBV Best Western(impromptu trip)
September 2007 Wilderness Lodge- concierge
June 2007 Wilderness Lodge
March 2007 Wilderness Lodge
September 2006 Wilderness Lodge
December 2005 All Star Music
November 2004 Pop Century
April 1992 Carribean Beach Club
August 1986 off site
a few times as a child, once at Ft Wilderness at Christmas
TeresaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:37 AM   #30
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostyn17
Ok...we are going in Sept. We are not signed up for DME service, but will we still get the luggage tags in our reservation packet? I want to use the luggage service! It's great not worring about your luggage.

Thanks for your help!
Travis

In order to get the luggage tags that would enable your bags to be taken directly to the resort, you must be signed up. You won't get tags otherwise. Disney has stated that DME is not a luggage transferral system..it is for guests staying on-site to get to their respective resorts. The luggage transferral is a 'perk'. If you book DME, use the yellow luggage tags, and don't get on the bus, your bags may not get to your resort.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: