Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #1741
kristaann
Earning My Ears

We are flying in to MCO at the end of October and staying at the Pop Century. I was told that we need to use the magic bands for Magical Express. However, do you know if we will be getting baggage tags to place on the luggage as well? I'm not sure how this works now with the magic bands?

Thanks for the help!
kristaann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #1742
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristaann View Post
We are flying in to MCO at the end of October and staying at the Pop Century. I was told that we need to use the magic bands for Magical Express. However, do you know if we will be getting baggage tags to place on the luggage as well? I'm not sure how this works now with the magic bands?

Thanks for the help!
This is an educated guess:

The Magic Bands are now used for check-in at the DME area at the airport vs. "old" method of scanning a bar code in a paper packet.

Luggage tags will still be involved so your luggage is diverted and transported from MCO to your resort.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #1743
disneyhoppers
Earning My Ears

We just met with our AAA agent this afternoon to pick up our vacation documents. When we got to the DME luggage tags, she advised us to NOT put them on before flying to MCO but to go to baggage claim at MCO, put the tags on and then return them to the carousel to be retrieved by DME. She said that she has heard about them coming off in flight/handling. I have never heard this to be a problem. Also, my understanding is that if you go to baggage claim and claim your luggage, you are now in possession of it and DME will not take it. My MIL is totally confused by this info and is more likely to just claim it and take it on the bus with her. Nothing like a travel agent to confuse things. Oy! Please help me clarify this info to her. Thx
disneyhoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #1744
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyhoppers View Post
We just met with our AAA agent this afternoon to pick up our vacation documents. When we got to the DME luggage tags, she advised us to NOT put them on before flying to MCO but to go to baggage claim at MCO, put the tags on and then return them to the carousel to be retrieved by DME. She said that she has heard about them coming off in flight/handling. I have never heard this to be a problem. Also, my understanding is that if you go to baggage claim and claim your luggage, you are now in possession of it and DME will not take it. My MIL is totally confused by this info and is more likely to just claim it and take it on the bus with her. Nothing like a travel agent to confuse things. Oy! Please help me clarify this info to her. Thx
You are correct; your travel agent is not.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #1745
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We just met with our AAA agent this afternoon to pick up our vacation documents. When we got to the DME luggage tags, she advised us to NOT put them on before flying to MCO but to go to baggage claim at MCO, put the tags on and then return them to the carousel to be retrieved by DME.
Oh that silly AAA agent...

The handlers take the bags from behind the scenes. They do NOT take them from the carousel. If your MIL does that, her bags will sit on the carousel for ages, waiting for someone to notice them and *maybe* get them to DME.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #1746
disneyhoppers
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

Oh that silly AAA agent...

The handlers take the bags from behind the scenes. They do NOT take them from the carousel. If your MIL does that, her bags will sit on the carousel for ages, waiting for someone to notice them and *maybe* get them to DME.
Thank you. I knew I could count on my disers!
disneyhoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #1747
saradela
DIS Veteran

Exclamation What?

Quote:
There will be no automatic transfer for luggage between the hours of 10pm and 5am. Folks arriving between these hours will need to claim thier luggage prior to going to the Welcome Center, regardless of if they used the yellow tags.
`

Wait-what?
So, I'll be arriving at MCO at 12:18PM (12:08 hours) this thursday and according to the Disney Phone Operator I just need to leave the baggage there unclaimed and give them our claim-tickets at the Magical Express Counter and that's that!
She never mentioned the times....now I'm confused.
Should I take my luggage with me to Magical Express? Or is there a different section where I leave my luggage and go directly to Magical Express?
I have NO YELLOW TAGS, they never shipped.

I'm from Mexico, so it's an International trip. I need help!

Last edited by saradela; 09-24-2013 at 01:19 AM.
saradela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #1748
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saradela View Post
`

Wait-what?
So, I'll be arriving at MCO at 12:18PM (12:08 hours) this thursday and according to the Disney Phone Operator I just need to leave the baggage there unclaimed and give them our claim-tickets at the Magical Express Counter and that's that!
Should I take my luggage with me to Magical Express? Or is there a different section where I leave my luggage and go directly to Magical Express?

You'll need to get your luggage from baggage claim and take it to the bus.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #1749
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia View Post
You'll need to get your luggage from baggage claim and take it to the bus.
Actually, saradela says she's arriving at 12:18 pm, not 12:18 am; DME will pick up her luggage. Unless of course she meant 12:18 am, in which case, never mind.

Last edited by siskaren; 09-24-2013 at 08:50 AM.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #1750
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I've never heard of them coming off...in fact, once you get them stuck together at the ends? It's hard to pry them apart!!! Put the dang things on and forget about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saradela View Post
`

Wait-what?

Disney doesn't ship DME packets internationally, at least to the best of my knowledge. So, you won't get the luggage tags to use. The Disney operator i correct, this time! Just head directly to the DME area, go to the counter and give them your baggage claim receipts and a description of your bags. They will send someone to get the bags for you and deliver them to the resort.
The time matters if you are arriving late in the evening..after 10pm. DME stops baggage delivery at that time and resumes around 5am. You are arriving at noontime, so it wouldn't have been an issue.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #1751
saradela
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
Actually, saradela says she's arriving at 12:18 pm, not 12:18 am; DME will pick up her luggage. Unless of course she meant 12:18 am, in which case, never mind.

Nope, 12:18PM afternoon. Not AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #1752
saradela
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
I've never heard of them coming off...in fact, once you get them stuck together at the ends? It's hard to pry them apart!!! Put the dang things on and forget about it.

Disney doesn't ship DME packets internationally, at least to the best of my knowledge. So, you won't get the luggage tags to use. The Disney operator i correct, this time! Just head directly to the DME area, go to the counter and give them your baggage claim receipts and a description of your bags. They will send someone to get the bags for you and deliver them to the resort.
The time matters if you are arriving late in the evening..after 10pm. DME stops baggage delivery at that time and resumes around 5am. You are arriving at noontime, so it wouldn't have been an issue.

THANK YOU! I was getting worried about that little issue!
I have no problem carrying my bags, but a haggle less is a haggle less!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #1753
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren View Post
You're right - I read it wrong.

But if she's clearing customs in Orlando won't she still have to get the bags herself?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #1754
BlueGiraffe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesia

But if she's clearing customs in Orlando won't she still have to get the bags herself?
You pick up bags to go through customs, but then hand them in again before getting on the monorail to go over to the other terminal. Then you don't need to pick them up again, just check straight in at the DME desk :-)
Old 09-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1755
BlueGiraffe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink
Disney doesn't ship DME packets internationally, at least to the best of my knowledge. So, you won't get the luggage tags to use. The Disney operator i correct, this time! Just head directly to the DME area, go to the counter and give them your baggage claim receipts and a description of your bags.
Both times I've used DME (flying in from London, so 'international'), we were sent luggage tags in the post. That was 2006 and 2008, so unless it has all changed since then...? Just relying on a description of the bag sounds silly, as so many mistakes could happen.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: