Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
bamamom
DIS Veteran

How soon do you start buying for Christmas?

I know Christmas? But it's now just 6 mos away . We have a Christmas club that comes out of my hubby's check each week, but I also work part time and I supplement our Christmas budget every year with that. But I am going back to college full time in August and there wont' be any extra money from me this year. I usually don't buy much until the day after Thanksgiving sale and shop all day!! I feel this year I need to buy a little here and there to make up from the income I contributed in the past. When and what are some of the tips you all use when starting your Christmas shopping?

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/362dqfx4cwgjvcip.png[/img]
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:29 PM   #2
Debbie
DIScovering DIS magic
WISHing my way to success!
Thought processes working overboard!
We have YOUR date so book it up!

I started before last Christmas! When I looked at my gifts, I discovered a couple of extra, and decided that they would wait. Actually, if I end up getting my DD a camera, her camera bag was bought at WDW on her last trip in......2003!
I bought my nieces/nephews birthday and Christmas gifts in January/February on a Wal-Mart clearance. I will by my DBIL his this month, since come Christmas, there won't be any in the stores (solar lights, I'm thinking).
My sister buys 1 or 2 a month, so that by now she is almost done the extended family.
I keep a record of what I buy on the computer. You DO have to check it regularly. I bought my cousin and her DH dishes last August, forgot that I had bought them, and then bought a grilling cookbook, potholders and gift certificates for the local M&M (frozen meats) store. Oh, well, another set of gifts bought for this year!

šoš Lovin' the mouse from my Canadian house! šoš

offsite-'85
CBR-'90FWHomes-'94FWHomes-'97HIFS/BC-'99Dixie Landings-Jan. '00 (just the parents)HIFS/Dixie Landings-Aug.'00ASMu '01Courtyard by Marriott DTD '02Courtyard by Marriott DTD/Coronado Springs '03Wilderness Lodge-Marathon Weekend '05POP with youngest sister '05POP with FREE DINING '06ASMu with DH '07POP with youngest daughter '0825th anniversary trip at Poly '09POR (still Dixie in my heart) with DH '121 night Kidani Village before 7 night Disney Fantasy Cruise '13
Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-21-2006, 05:30 PM   #3
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

I start the day after Christmas to buy gift wrap and Christmas decorations (either for my house or for gifts). I buy throughout the year when I find a good sale (Amazon's toy clearance last month, for example). Target usually has a toy clearance in the summer. I buy winter clothes, Christmas candles, etc. for the following Christmas when they go on clearance. I also shop the Bath and Body Works semi-annual sale (going on now) for teacher gifts and hostess gifts for the holidays.

I don't shop completely for my kids until December, though, since the "must have" toys in our house are not usually decided until then!
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
english rose 47
DIS Veteran

I start December 26th Walmart is always the first stop all those half price soap gift sets , can't resist them.
english rose 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
HenDuck
DIS Veteran

I never really stop...

I started buying Bath & Bodyworks items in March, but not just for Christmas gifts. These will be for neighbors, to go with other kitchen stuff, as well as for various aunts and friends.

I've done two disneyshopping.com sales. And all my kids on my list are done as well as DS' teachers.

My goal is to be done before October 1st. I will do all of my hard-to-buy-for people when I go to NY and hit the outlets in NJ!

Old 06-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
mrsbornkuntry
I'm worried about raccoons
I carry a diaper

I started the day after Christmas, too. I bought gift wrap, cards, clearance yankee candles and clearance bath and bodyworks gift sets. Then I just watch for sales and pick up what I need as I go. Some of them end up as birthday gifts then the rest go for Christmas. I did alot during the Amazon toy sales last month, too. I think now is a good time to shop, when the stores aren't packed and if you think ahead to what you want to buy everyone you can watch for sales and get a better deal than last minute shopping.

Beret...$15.00
Boots..$135.00
Having them HOME
on the floor....
PRICELESS
mrsbornkuntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
mamalle
DIS Veteran

usually the day after I buy items for teachers, etc. along with wrapping paper, etc. other than that I usually start in the summer for the kids when disneyshopping and the store has their sales. Im really not buying much this year as the kids have so many bathing suits and PJ Pals. they both havent grown so Im not going to buy a bigger size like I did last year. Im not going to hit the sales like before and hide everything away in the attic either. gift cards are my motto this year. I have made the kids xmas list though. they are getting one big joint gift and a few must haves that I suspect I will not know till closer to the holidays. If the one gift goes on sale at the end of the summer, than it will be bought and stored somewhere but otherwise Im not going to get burned like last year and be finished by the beginning of October and find out my kiddos want something else.. It isnt as easy as it was when they were younger!
mamalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

I started when B&BW & YC had their sale after Christmas. I hate to shop, & do most of mine online. I've finished shopping for the females on my list. I keep hoping someone will post some great deals for men on here. I've also bought a few things for my DH already. I'm hoping to finish my shopping for everyone, except our DS(14) by Oct. He changes his mind too often to buy his early, & his gifts are where most of our Christmas budget is spent.
tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:13 PM   #9
kinntj
DIS Veteran

I'm a round the year Christmas shopper. I look for great sales and buy then. I can't buy the "S" word presents until closer, but I can get the rest out of the way. My kids gifts from us are already done.

I feel that shopping this way saves money and time closer to the holidays. As long as you don't shop for more than you want to. I've heard some people go overboard this way by buying more or see something different the kids/others might like and buy that too. You can get into trouble that way, but I tend to make a list and stick with it. The kids only get 3 gifts for Christmas Including one from Santa.

We pick up stuff when we go on vacation too if it's something that's practical for that person in mind.

I have a gift closet I keep all these presents in until I wrap them the 1st week of Christmas. No Christmas club here, but I think I would spend more if I had one. We have an amount budgeted for each person and try not to go over it. The only thing we do last minute for Christmas is tips and teacher's gifts.

Have fun shopping!

We're back from our June 2014 Aulani trip!

Currently reading: 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
2014 Book challenge: 12
Insurgent, Allegiant, Eat Sleep Move, Unbroken,
kinntj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
Laurajean1014
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Therefore, I have no other input!
Sit back, relax and enjoy the adventure
The looty booty was the best beginning

Going to NH and passing the Kittery outlets. Going to do some damage there!
Is equal to the love you make.
Laurajean1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #11
Julia M
DIS Veteran
not clever, not witty, but loyal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinntj
I'm a round the year Christmas shopper. I look for great sales and buy then. I can't buy the "S" word presents until closer, but I can get the rest out of the way. My kids gifts from us are already done.

I feel that shopping this way saves money and time closer to the holidays. As long as you don't shop for more than you want to. I've heard some people go overboard this way by buying more or see something different the kids/others might like and buy that too. You can get into trouble that way, but I tend to make a list and stick with it. The kids only get 3 gifts for Christmas Including one from Santa.

We pick up stuff when we go on vacation too if it's something that's practical for that person in mind.

I have a gift closet I keep all these presents in until I wrap them the 1st week of Christmas. No Christmas club here, but I think I would spend more if I had one. We have an amount budgeted for each person and try not to go over it. The only thing we do last minute for Christmas is tips and teacher's gifts.

Have fun shopping!
I no longer shop too much ahead, because I end up with too much stuff, as well as items that no longer "work" for me as gifts. My kids are older now (14, almost 12 and 9 1/2), which makes a difference, too.

I have picked up a few things, but I generally wait until about October.

What I do, however, is keep a running list on my PDA about ideas for gifts. Then, when October rolls around, I consider what is on the list, and if it's still appropriate. I try and buy with a Michael's 40% off coupon, and a Linens and Things or Bed, Bath and Betond 20% off coupon.

I also buy gift cards for some of DH's family........not everyone, his family is too big! But he has 2 siblings that are unmarried, and pretty poor, so I like to treat them. I also get some gift cards for other family members, and I try and buy one a month.

I also buy Target gift cards all year, since I shop there alot at Xmas. Those GC's help pay.

Finally, I put away money each month.

If money were to be tight, I would scan the ads now and really look at a couple of stores, and get ideas for family members. Then I would try and buy one a month

julia
August 2004:Vistana & Marriott's Grand Vista.....Hurricane Charley.....what an experience for West Coasters!
Christmas at Disneyworld, 2005: Polynesian
July 2008: Cypress Point Grand villas & Hilton Grand Vacation Club....sharing Disneyworld with friends
January 2010: Boardwalk Villas for a Disney wedding....
February 2010: Saratoga Springs...TWIRLMANIA!!
July 2010: Beach Club Villas & Marriott Imperial Palms
July 2013: a day in Orlando.....what to do????
Julia M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
taekwondo mom
DIS Veteran

Dec..26....
taekwondo mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

I start whenever I see a good sale.

Just this past week at Target, the $80.00 Bionicle set DS8 wants was on clearance for $40.00. You bet I got one!!!
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #14
PaulaSue
I have a purple car too and love it
Even I need a nap now and then

I started months ago.

Anytime there is a sale I have been getting stuff, for example the American Girl sale on books I got 8 for $5.00 with shipping to split up for the girls b-day or Christmas gifts.

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2 Birthdays, 1 Anniversary, Priceless...1/06

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2nd Trip, 1 Week with Family and Friends...10/08

F&W, Music to our ears...10/11

Tire Pros "Family" is going to Disney...1/15
PaulaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #15
8 Ears
DIS Veteran

Yes, I have already started as well.
8 Ears is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: