Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2008, 01:43 AM   #1156
OneTreeHillAddict
CNC Photography of Myrtle Beach, SC

Discovery Island 10 years ago!

I really liked this place. I only went the one time that I know of. Animal Kingdom opened the week we were there so I'm guessing DI closed down shortly after. I'm glad we got to go! This is me enjoying the hammock swings.

DH in front of the huge turtles!

Here he is in front of the Flamingos!

And one more...
OneTreeHillAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:48 AM   #1157
OneTreeHillAddict

Amazingly enough my DH had never been to WDW when I met him! (What evil parents he has!!!!)

I just had to take him and guess what he saw when he first walked down Main Street!

Looking back we're thrilled to have experienced it! (I never wanna see THAT again but I'm glad we went and caught it!) Since 1997 he has been addicted to WDW! And I have been addicted to him.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2008, 01:50 AM   #1158
OneTreeHillAddict

December 1982

This was my very first visit to WDW, December 1982. It was LOVE at first sight! I'm the blonde haired girl on Mickey's left...who knows who those other kids are!???
Old 05-12-2008, 01:53 AM   #1159
OneTreeHillAddict

1985/1986?

The baby is my little sister, she was terrified of the characters! That's my cousin holding her. It was their first visit!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 AM   #1160
OneTreeHillAddict

The scans looked terrible compared to the pics. I think I left the scanner on scan document from the brochures and it lowered the picture quality. You can still see 'em though. I LOVE this thread! GREAT idea!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #1161
nolagirl
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting those OneTree! I never got to go to either place unfortunately. A lot of river country is still there I think although it is not maintained. Here is a link to aerial photos (select bird's eye view) of points of interest in Disney. Both river country and discovery island are on there.

nolagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #1162
duckyislost
Mouseketeer

I've really enjoyed this thread! Thanks for the nostalgia. Here is my walk down memory lane.

I almost didn’t include this, the original was blurry. Then I saw the date on the back, July 4, 1976. I really hope I can find more pics from this trip, what a cool place to be on the bicentennial! I was 6, my DB was 4.

Circus themed parade 1979. I just love Minnie up on that trapeze.

River country 1981 or 1982. A pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.
Line to use the zipline, watching the person ahead make a not so graceful landing.

You had to reel the zipline back yourself.

Check out that form! The longer you kept your feet up, the longer the ride.

Ropes too!

Slide above the pool.

World passports from the 80’s.

1988 spring break freshman year of college with one of my roomies. Included for the hair and the guy in the painted on turquoise shorts, seriously dude?

1990 – Ah the fanny pack years. I count at least 3, maybe another on the woman with her back to the camera on the right. I miss the skybuckets!

1992 – Disneyland, not many pics from this one day whirlwind trip.

Christmas 1996 – MGM, no hat. Me, my DB and his girlfriend. Still in my perm years.

Toy Story Parade at MGM. Kinda weak holiday decorations.

2001 – Not very old, but look at all the changes.

2009 Sept @ POR
2010 Feb @ WL
duckyislost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #1163
OneTreeHillAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagirl View Post
Thanks for posting those OneTree! I never got to go to either place unfortunately. A lot of river country is still there I think although it is not maintained. Here is a link to aerial photos (select bird's eye view) of points of interest in Disney. Both river country and discovery island are on there.
We rented a pontoon from FW about a year ago and went by Discovery Island. It looked so run down & to think only a decade ago it was an animal park! Sure went downhill fast! That same trip my DH walked a little ways into the old RC too. It was full of squirrels, huge walking birds, and other woodland creatures. The vines were taking it over. It looks like it was abandoned one night and never looked back on. So sad to see.

I for one wish they'd invest some money and do something with both places. (And while they're at it...fininsh up Pop's other building!)

Thanks for the map shots!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #1164
DaisyLynn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneTreeHillAddict View Post
We rented a pontoon from FW about a year ago and went by Discovery Island. It looked so run down & to think only a decade ago it was an animal park! Sure went downhill fast! That same trip my DH walked a little ways into the old RC too. It was full of squirrels, huge walking birds, and other woodland creatures. The vines were taking it over. It looks like it was abandoned one night and never looked back on. So sad to see.

I for one wish they'd invest some money and do something with both places. (And while they're at it...fininsh up Pop's other building!)

Thanks for the map shots!
We rented a Boston Whaler last month while staying at WL and I got some video as we went by Discovery Island and River Country. I am uploading them as I type, so as soon as they are done I'll post them.

They are taking awhile, so it might be tomorrow...but I'll get them posted as soon as I can!

DaisyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:43 AM   #1165
DaisyLynn
DIS Veteran

Here they are. It was quite windy and I'm not the best videographer.

These are kind of neat to watch, though!

DaisyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 PM   #1166
mommykds
All Disney all the time! Hang on little Dole Whip, Momma's coming!

I have enjoyed looking at all these nostalgic pictures. What good times.

Here is my photo from 1973. That's me & my Grandmother. The sun was in our eyes. I was 5 then & I can still remember that trip.

I have one of me getting off the double decker bus but I can't find it anywhere!
* Mar 1998 AS Music * Dec 1999 AS Movies * Dec 2002 Polynesian * Nov 2003 Carribean Beach * Oct 2005 Port Orleans Riverside * Aug 2006 Beach Club CL * Aug 2007 Beach Club CL * Oct 2007 Pop Century * Apr 2008 Wonder & Boardwalk Inn * Aug 2008 Port Orleans Riverside * Dec 2008 Coronado Springs * Jul 2009 Boardwalk CL * Oct 2009 Contemporary * Dec 2009 Offsite * Mar 2010 Wonder & Polynesian CL * Jul 2010 Beach Club CL * Dec 2010 Port Orleans French Quarter * Aug 2011 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2012 Hampton Inn LBV * Jul 2012 Port Orleans Riverside * Apr 2013 Art of Animation LM * Aug 2013 Pop Century * Nov 2013 Embassy Suites LBV * Apr 2014 AS Music FS * Jul 2014 Embassy Suites LBV/Boardwalk Inn *
mommykds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:27 PM   #1167
cruiserkaren
Who Dey!
here I am.......still blank

Here's a few I have.....

These are from 1994. We were only there for 1 day so I don't really count it as my "first" trip. Honestly, I remember pretty much nothing about it. It was during spring break so I'm thinking it was probably packed. I went along to help entertain my 5 year old cousin. I'm sure I was more concerned with what my friends were doing at home! We spent more time at Universal then Disney. My aunt and uncle (who took me) were big Universal fans even back then. They are still not Disney fans. Go figure.

That is a sweet Panama Jack tank I have on there! Yep - socks with Nike sandals.

My uncle and cousin. I don't remember if we rode the Sky bucket things in the background or not.

Here's an one from Universal. Most of my pics are from there.

cruiserkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 PM   #1168
mickeymyfavorite
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Litebeer View Post

Aug 98’ ASSP ~ Aug 00’ POFQ ~ Aug 04’ POFQ ~ July 05’ POFQ ~ Nov 05’ CBR ~ July 06’ CBR ~ Nov 06’ CSR ~ July 07’ POFQ ~ Nov 07’ AKL ~ April 08’ ASMO ~ July 08' AKL ~Nov 08' SSR ~ April/May 09' CSR ~ Sept 09' BWV ~ Nov 10' CBR ~ Aug 12' AKL ~ May 13' CBR ~ July 13' POLY~ March 14' CR ~ Aug 14' POFQ
mickeymyfavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #1169
brack
The man who loves all things Disney but really loves Annette 'cause she takes him to Disney
Long time amateur photographer
I never tire of the elevator one

Before the MVMCP's the only extra Christmas item was a dinner show held at the Contemporary's Conference Center.

It came with a photo op like this.

A day without Mickey is.... what's the point?

"So many nights I just dream of the ocean, God I wish I was sailin' again" Jimmy Buffett
"In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat - for He grants sleep to those He loves" Psalm 127:2
brack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:23 PM   #1170
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by brack View Post
Before the MVMCP's the only extra Christmas item was a dinner show held at the Contemporary's Conference Center.

It came with a photo op like this.

WOW!! They spared no expense did they!!!!
teresajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: