Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM   #1606
bigAWL
DIS Veteran

I did a little photo comparison, and I believe these are some of the same totems used throughout the years. Where these things are located, I have no idea.

I think it's clear that these two posted by Tri-circle-D and zackiedawg are the same.

I also think that these two totems include some of the same elements. Maybe they are individual figures stacked on top of each other and somewhat modular. It looks to me like one in the newer photo from Tri-circle-D has an additional figure (white animal holding a stick) in place of the short square smiley face in the photo posted by angey77. But it looks like the next figure up is the same (you can just see the feet in the older photo).

1979 .......... Golf Resort
1984 .......... Hotel Royal Plaza
1989 .......... Offsite?
2007 Jun .................................................. .................................................. ................. Newport Bay Club
2008 May-Jun .. Shades of Green ................. Wonder 4-night Bahamas Double-dip
2009 Jul ...... Shades of Green ................. Magic 7-night E. Caribbean Tortola
2010 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Northern Europe
2010 Dec ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Magic 11-night S. Caribbean Holiday
2011 Jul ........................................ Wonder 7-night Alaska .................... Villas at Grand Californian
2011 Oct ...... Polynesian - AKV Kidani
2012 Jun ...... Bay Lake Tower .................. Fantasy 7-night W. Caribbean
2013 Mar ...... Beach Club Villas - BLT ......... Dream 4/3-night Bahamas Back-to-Back
2014 Jun ........................................ Magic 12-night Med. Barcelona-Venice

Future Plans:

2015 Jan ...... Saratoga Springs Resort ......... Fantasy 7-night E. Caribbean San Juan
2015 Jun-Jul .................................... Magic 11-night Norwegian Fjords & Iceland

Last edited by bigAWL; 04-09-2009 at 12:02 PM.
bigAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #1607
Tri-circle-D
Throwing some love to TCD
They are full and clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigAWL View Post
I did a little photo comparison, and I believe these are some of the same totems used throughout the years. Where these things are located, I have no idea.

I think it's clear that these two posted by Tri-circle-D and zackiedawg are the same.

I also think that these two totems include some of the same elements. Maybe they are individual figures stacked on top of each other and somewhat modular. It looks to me like one in the newer photo from Tri-circle-D has an additional figure (white animal holding a stick) in place of the short square smiley face in the photo posted by angey77. But it looks like the next figure up is the same (you can just see the feet in the older photo).

Thanks for posting this comparison.

I think the first two photo excerpts you posted do show that these photos are of the same totem pole.

As for the totem pole at Fort Wilderness, I never really studied that "white animal holding a stick." What is up with that thing? Pretty creepy if you ask me.

I think these totem poles mean something. It would be interesting if a Native American could tell us what is going on here.

I also wonder why all of the totem poles are gone from Ft. Wilderness, but they still have them at the MK, Epcot, and at Wilderness Lodge.

TCD
Tri-circle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #1608
wdwnut4life
I LOVE WDW & Disneyland soo much!

great pics!!
wdwnut4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:11 PM   #1609
TJM1976
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-circle-D View Post
Great photos!!!! Thank you!!!!

This totem pole one is interesting to me.

A while back, someone posted this photo:

When it was posted, folks could not place these totem poles anywhere in the MK. I posted the photo on the camping boards, thinking perhaps these totems had been somewhere in Fort Wilderness, but no one remembered them there. An astute observer pointed out that there appeared to be a railroad crossing arm in the back ground of the photo. But the consensus was that this photo did not look like WDW.

This older pic, (1972) was before my time... but interesting that the pervious poster mentioned the RR crossing arm. MK Train runs in that area and that may be the crossing arm?? Which if those poles are in the Frontierland smoking area, it could be correct, just imagine no landscaping or anything else.....
TJM1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM   #1610
Tri-circle-D
Throwing some love to TCD
They are full and clean!

I marked what appears to be a railroad crossing arm with a red arrow, and what looks like a railroad crossing sign with a green arrow. I wonder what the thing that I marked with a yellow arrow is?

I never knew that the train station used to be in a different location from where it is now. It seems to me that the area in this photo might be where Splash Mountain is now.

It still amazes me that there was an area visible to guests that looked this barren in the MK. I always thought everything in the MK looked perfect and magical, but this area sure doesn't, at least not in this photo.

TCD
Tri-circle-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #1611
sneadae
Mouseketeer

Here are some of my old ones:

Next trip: December at Bay Lake Tower
sneadae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:36 PM   #1612
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

Great pics
I think the best part of these pics is looking at all the fashion trends that go along with the changing Disney
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 AM   #1613
OK!
Dreams in
Moral of the story: generic rum = bad
that was my holy grail of the whole sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pacho View Post

I'm just now going through the entire thread, but just wanted to comment that I LOVE the Skyway pics! It's probably the ride I miss most from WDW.
WDW: 1979, 1982, 1985, Nov. 1987, Aug. 1991 (Doubletree), May 1995 (Doubletree), Oct. 1997 (Dixie Landings), Nov. 2001 (Port Orleans Riverside), Dec. 2002 (Dolphin), Dec. 2004 (Port Orleans Riverside), Jan. 2006 (Beach Club Villas), Aug. 2006 (VWL/BCV), Dec. 2006 (BCV/BWV), Jan. 2008 (BCV): ½ Marathon trip!, May 2008 (BCV): graduation trip!, Dec. 2008 (BCV), Jan. 2009 (BCV): ½ Marathon trip!, May 2009: quickie weekend, Jan. 2010 (BWV): ½ Marathon trip!, April 2010: 3 weeks in the World, Aug. '10: moved here for good
OK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM   #1614
tinkerbee
After being stuck on It's a Small World for 25 minutes, the children of Holland haunt my dreams!!!! :)

These pictures are great. Really makes you wonder why some of these attractions are gone

ASMu Sept CSR Jan 2014
Off site March 10Dec, Jan 2009
August March 2008
Dec, Nov, October August, July.
SSR&OKW June 2007
VWL Christmas 2006,POR August 2006
Coronado and OKW May 2005
OKW, POR and VWL January 2004
Fort Wilderness Cabins Easter 2003
OKW and ASMu August 2002
POR Oct 2001 ASMo Jaunuary 2001
Off site 2000, 1989 and 1986
tinkerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #1615
TSMAMI
There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

love love love this thread!

TSMAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #1616
Blackrex77
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyaboutMickey View Post
Yikes!!! That's something I could live without seeing again.

I Liked the cake castle...... I didn't go till 2 years ago but my Aunt has pics from her and my Uncle's honeymoon with the cake!!! lol

I Love Disney
Trip 1: March 2007-All Star Movies
Trip 2: March 2009-Disney's Port Orleans Riverside

Trip 3: April 2010 - Disney's Port Orleans riverside
Blackrex77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #1617
Amanda_the_awesome
DIS Veteran

Great thread. I love looking at old photographs. These are all great pics. I'm a huge fan of the pics of Dreamfinder from the original Journey into the Imagination. That guy is awesome! ( Wishes they would bring back the original)

Disney College program CM merchandise fall 2011
Amanda_the_awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #1618
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
I'm not sure what is more fun about this thread - the old Disney pictures or the fashions in them
I totally agree!
jenseib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #1619
TJM1976
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-circle-D View Post
I marked what appears to be a railroad crossing arm with a red arrow, and what looks like a railroad crossing sign with a green arrow. I wonder what the thing that I marked with a yellow arrow is?

I never knew that the train station used to be in a different location from where it is now. It seems to me that the area in this photo might be where Splash Mountain is now.

It still amazes me that there was an area visible to guests that looked this barren in the MK. I always thought everything in the MK looked perfect and magical, but this area sure doesn't, at least not in this photo.

TCD
I have feeling that the picture above might be the same area as this picture below. Someone else posted the below picture. But if you look to the right top of the roof in the grassy area in front of what looks like Pooh's Hunny Pot, it looks like there are a couple poles there. But I don't know if they are the same poles. Of course those are no longer there.

I also found this picture that was posted by someone else but if you look to the far right, i think those poles are the same as the ones that are still there today. Note the last picture in my posting. The dock on the far left of this picture is the loading dock for Tom Sawyer Island.

The 2 pictures below was taken today at MK

TJM1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #1620
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

[QUOTE=TJM1976;30962349]I

That's definitely the same area we were referring to in the two comparison photos, including the one I took. Thanks for digging this one up, as it gives a better perspective of that area (and thanks to whoever posted it originally).

It's also interesting to see that some of those totems are still there! I can't honestly say I've taken any notice of them, but certainly will in the future.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: