Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
cakebaker
DIS Veteran

Know what they'll stop a ride for?

Opening your umbrella while you're riding the magic carpet ride at the mk!

Seriously, it started raining (of course) and some 20 something woman decided to pop her umbrella open while on the ride.

Dumbest looking thing I ever saw! lol she only lasted a few seconds before they shut the ride down. They yelled at her to shut the umbrella and she did, but put her hands on her head and literally was crying because her hair was getting wet.

Everyone had to get off while they reset the ride.
It wins the prize for this trips' dumbest WDW guest award.
cakebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

OMG, that is too funny. You can always find a good laugh somewhere while visiting WDW.
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #3
disneyfantotheend
DIS Veteran

Lucky a big gust of wind didn't come by and take her away. She could fly like Mary Poppins. LOL
disneyfantotheend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Am I the only one who thinks it's not that crazy or stupid to try to open your umbrella when you're on a tame, outside ride like the magic carpets and it's raining outside? I could see myself trying to do that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #5
flortlebap
Disneyiac!

Oh dear, lol!
August 1993 - Off Site / August 1996 - CBR / August 1999 - POR / September 2004 - POP / October 2006 - POR /October 2009 - HNY / October 2010 - NPB / May 2012 - CSR / July 2013 - AKL / September 2014 - YC
flortlebap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:17 PM   #6
HatboxHaint
Mouseketeer

Do they call in the code "Mary Poppins" when they hit the stop ride button?
HatboxHaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
kay1864
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's not that crazy or stupid to try to open your umbrella when you're on a tame, outside ride like the magic carpets and it's raining outside? I could see myself trying to do that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nope. I too didn't think that would be insanely dumb. BTMRR, yes, but Aladdin...no.
kay1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #8
YawningDodo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Lose your grip in a gust of wind (with air already moving past you because hey, you're on a ride) and that thing's going to fly out of your hand and smack the kid in the carpet behind you right in the face. Seems kind of obvious.
YawningDodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
wareagle57
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's that that I think it's particularly dangerous, but I have enough good sense to know that it would shut any ride down because of the potential danger to other guests. It's easy enough to have an umbrella nearly fly out of your hands when a gust of wind hits it the right way. Combine that with the additional 10mph or so the carpets are probably moving, plus being in the air. She should have known better.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #10
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're kidding right? Even a small gust of wind, when added to the movement of the ride vehicle, would rip the umbrella right out of someone's hand.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can't see trying to do that, but when I first read it when it was first posted I couldn't really see what was so incredibly stupid about it. Also couldn't figure out how the OP knew that the woman was crying about her hair being wet. But maybe the OP could hear what the woman was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YawningDodo View Post
Lose your grip in a gust of wind (with air already moving past you because hey, you're on a ride) and that thing's going to fly out of your hand and smack the kid in the carpet behind you right in the face. Seems kind of obvious.
I'm normally the "worst case scenario" person, the one who comes up instantly with the "why that won't work" thoughts (when I worked outside the home, you can imagine that my coworkers just loved me LOL), but it actually took me until now to come up with losing grip on the umbrella. So...not *that* obvious to everyone.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by YawningDodo View Post
You would think, right?
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
MakiraMarlena
It's a big black fish to you

I'm sure I don't see how it's debatable that an open umbrella on a moving ride (no matter how slowly it is moving) might possibly be dangerous.
MakiraMarlena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #14
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakiraMarlena View Post
I'm sure I don't see how it's debatable that an open umbrella on a moving ride (no matter how slowly it is moving) might possibly be dangerous.
Yeah. I got nothin.' This seems like Common Sense 101 to me.
jtowntoflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #15
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

An umbrella in my hands is secure.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: