Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
4Cones
Earning My Ears

Claiming Luggage Back at Port

This is our first cruise of any kind and we have some friends who have cruise another cruise line and they were trying to give us tips and on thing they mentioned was people trying to get their bags when they got off the boat to claim them, they warned me to mark them it some super way and that people just start grabbing bags, one of my friend said he had to chase down a guy who had his bag and had to argue with him to get it back, any help please! oh and another thing, they said to bargain with the cabs in the Bahamas, don't give what they ask, thanks for all your help
4Cones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:53 PM   #2
videogal1
Boogie Queen
Remember to pack the can opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Cones
This is our first cruise of any kind and we have some friends who have cruise another cruise line and they were trying to give us tips and on thing they mentioned was people trying to get their bags when they got off the boat to claim them, they warned me to mark them it some super way and that people just start grabbing bags, one of my friend said he had to chase down a guy who had his bag and had to argue with him to get it back, any help please! oh and another thing, they said to bargain with the cabs in the Bahamas, don't give what they ask, thanks for all your help

Although it is possible to make a mistake when claiming your bags there is much less chance of that happening if you have a unique identifying mark on them. Bows, paint, tags, etc. will all do the trick. Anything that will make someone think twice about grabbing a look-alike bag will work...

As for the Bahamian cabs...ask if the fares are regulated...I don't remember. Of course, if you use a power scooter or chair it doesn't matter because there won't be any taxis there to give you a ride, anyway...You have to make reservations for those in advance....
Inaugural 10-day Holiday Magic December '04
Inaugural Westward Repositioning cruise May '05
Service Dog Training cruise (HAL) November '04
BWI, BC, AKL, POP, POR, Poly, Sequoia (DLP) between '93 and 2003.

Last edited by videogal1; 05-15-2006 at 11:17 PM.
videogal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2006, 11:03 PM   #3
CGC33A
DIS Veteran

Can't do anything about someone who wants to STEAL your bag (except don't have very expensive luggage=expensive goods inside). DCL tries very hard to put everyone in your party's luggage together in the "baggage claim room" or what ever they call it. It is also sorted by character (so only put tags on that you are supposed to have, i.e. you are assigned a character). So there is no looking all over to find your bags, 1 here, 1 there etc. Something unique will help ID your bag as has been suggested. My suggestion: to have a really beat up bag, all duct taped together: who would want to claim that bag! (another handy use for the infamous roll of duct tape that every DCL traveler should carry with them!)
CGC33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
ScouterJT
DIS Veteran

I thought the "luggage claim" was VERY well organized. We had put our special tags on all the bags the night before (we had the Blue Donald Duck). After disembarking, we went down the escalator and were met by a porter. She asked what our cabin number was -- and pointed us right at the section of Blue Donald Duck tags. All I had to do was identify my bags (which are each pretty distinct and monogrammed ...), she loaded them on the handcart and wheeled them through customs and to the Continental ticket counter at the port.

Couldn't have been easier.

I suppose someone could try to STEAL a bag -- there is not much you can do about that.

If someone wanted my dirty laundray that badly ... All our valuable stuff was in our carry-on, so that was safe.
WDW 2006, 2009, 2013
Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic 2007 (Western)
Disney Magic 2007 (Eastern)
Disney Magic 2008 (Western)
Disney Magic 2009 (Eastern)
Disney Wonder 2013 (Alaska)

Last edited by ScouterJT; 05-16-2006 at 06:55 AM.
ScouterJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
Duckieluckey
Mouseketeer

All of those black bags look alike

On our first cruise we went to our correct area to pick up our black bags and found ours. The problem was that all of the bags around ours looked just like ours. The porter was in a hurry ( more trips - more tips). We discovered that night that we had someone else's bag. Disney was very good about getting the bags exchanged and in a couple of days our lost bag arrived.

Make your bag distinictive. Colored duct tape works well.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:52 AM   #6
HooKooDooKu
Only thing that beats a trip to the Smokey Mountains is a trip to Castaway Cay
I'm both a 'plain' AND 'picky' eater

I tie a set of three brightly colored pieces of yarn twisted together (say red, orange, and blue - or pick any one of hundreds of posibilities) to each and every piece of luggage (checked and carry-on). Not only does this hopefully deter someone else from accidently picking up my bag, it's amazing how quickly you can find your own "black" bag from the hundreds of other black bags when you're focused on looking for the yarn.

Another trick (because we have multiple black bags) is that I tie a seperate piece of yarn to mark the different bags. That way we can say things like "its in the blue bag" even when every piece of luggage is black.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Marypoppinsiam
DIS Veteran

We had a porter pick up our luggage. We just told him what tags we had and room number, then we went with him, he picked up the luggage and rolled it out to our shuttle. It took less than 10 min from the time we got off the esculator to the shuttle. My suggestion is look for a Porter- they know all the tricks of the trade- well worth the money in my opinion.

2006- WDW and DCL Magic
2006- Magic for our 10th Anniversary
2007- DCL Magic
2008- Goofy Challange (1/2 & full marathon) at WDW
2008- Wonder cruise
2008- Disneyland half marathon
2011- Aug 7 - 12 5 day Disney Dream cruise
2012- Dec 29 New Years Eve on the Fantasy
Marypoppinsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

One thing we discovered is that while all of our bags were in the same area, they were scattered among three rows, so it took us a bit to find all 8 of our bags. Having a porter to help was fabulous because as we found the bags, he loaded them up. Definitely worth the $ for us to not have to haul our bags so far.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:49 AM   #9
conny264
DIS Veteran

One thing i would like to add.If you accidently pick up a wrong bag and discover that,please take it back to the row you took it.Someone took my bag 2 weeks ago from the Daisy area and after realizing the mistake left it at a totally different location and it took me,my sister and 2 Disney CM over 30 Minutes to find it and I was close to a total panic.
Mistakes can happen but be fair when you correct them.
Conny
conny264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:29 AM   #10
WDWLVR
DVC @ The Boardwalk
Have veranda will cruise
We cruised under a DVC flag - how cool is that?!?

We have bright green handle covers that we have stitched on to our black bags. Makes them easy to spot at the airport and the port. I'm also very picky about double checking that it is our bag before we walk away. After all cruising with a group of DISers someone else could have green handle covers as well.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: