Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

The Anti-Occupancy Thread

Now that we've beaten the "six in a room" subject to death, what's your "most spacious" experience at Disney? It can either be an accomodation that perfectly suited your needs, or an occasion where you felt you had TOO much space.

Two years ago, I made a solo trip to check out DVC properties before I bought. I stayed for 2 nights each at 3 properties - BWV, BCV, and VWL. I booked a studio at each. The BW studio was a nice space for 1. When I got to BCV I had been upgraded to a 1 BR. Very luxurious - and so nice to have all of that space just for me!!!!!

But when I got to VWL, I had been upgraded to a 2BR! Just for me!!!! It was hysterical - I thought about sleeping in each of the beds, one per night plus a nap, but the housekeepers would have had to change the beds unneccessarily. (Although I wonder, wouldn't they change all the beds, even the ones that didn't look slept in, before new people checked in? Should have tried it anyway!!)

I DID use all the bathrooms!!!

Did you ever have anything like this happen to you?
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Conservative Hippie
You seem somewhat familiar. Have I threatened you before?
My DH is a nuclear physicist...can you say weirdo???

We were upgraded on our HM to a deluxe at AKL. I don't think we used the extra space at all, but it was nice to have! BTW, are upgrades really that frequent?? I have a group of 4 going in July, and a deluxe upgrade would be *perfect* for this trip!
Me ~*~DH ~*~DD (6) ~*~DS (3) ~*~#3 (due 3/8/14)
4 WDW vacations from 2003-2006~*~450 days spent at WDW since 2007~*~2 DCL Cruises since 2011

Conservative Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
RoyalCanadian
A Proud DVC Member @ SSR

Liz -- are you soliciting opinions here? It has been my experience on the DISboards that one should always be certain that their opinion matches the opinion sought by the OP before offering such an opinion for consideration by the OP and the assembled DISthrongs, otherwise a long and deadly thread occurs and DISers who would never have ventured to read a particular thread are sent multiple PMs begging them to not only read a thread, but to offer their opinion on the thread.

I've also enjoyed the spaciousness of DVC accommodations -- but I'm not sure if my opinion on such spaciousness is the opinion you're seeking.

It would be so handy if there was a method by which OPs could indicate the tenor of reply opinions sought.

WDW November '97 Offsite; DLRP-MK September '04 Offsite; WDW January '05 SSR 1BR; DLR-MK July '05 Offsite; WDW March '06 OKW-2BR; WDW New Year's '07 SSR-2BR; WDW September - October '09 MNSSHP AKV-1BR Kidani; WDW March '10 AKV-2BR Kidani; WDW January '11 SSR-THV; WDW August '11 OKW-Studio; WDW January '12 Family Fiesta 5k BWV-1BR; Hawaii January '13 Aulani-Studio
WDW August '14 AKV-2BR Kidani
WDW February '15
DCL Disney Magic Baltic July '15
RoyalCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
DVCLiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalCanadian
Liz -- are you soliciting opinions here? It has been my experience on the DISboards that one should always be certain that their opinion matches the opinion sought by the OP before offering such an opinion for consideration by the OP and the assembled DISthrongs, otherwise a long and deadly thread occurs and DISers who would never have ventured to read a particular thread are sent multiple PMs begging them to not only read a thread, but to offer their opinion on the thread.

I've also enjoyed the spaciousness of DVC accommodations -- but I'm not sure if my opinion on such spaciousness is the opinion you're seeking.

It would be so handy if there was a method by which OPs could indicate the tenor of reply opinions sought.

How's that for some tenor????
Old 05-16-2006, 04:27 AM   #5
bicker
DIS Veteran

And the software should allow poll questions to have only one response!
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
RoyalCanadian
A Proud DVC Member @ SSR

As to Liz's original question -- seeing how it seems she might approve of my opinion -- here goes.

While it is very enjoyable to have one's partner in the king sized beds with them in DVC villas, there is that very enjoyable time in the morning when one person has already got out of bed and left the other to wallow in the massiveness that is a king sized bed. Nothing but mattress and all these pillows just for me.

WDW November '97 Offsite; DLRP-MK September '04 Offsite; WDW January '05 SSR 1BR; DLR-MK July '05 Offsite; WDW March '06 OKW-2BR; WDW New Year's '07 SSR-2BR; WDW September - October '09 MNSSHP AKV-1BR Kidani; WDW March '10 AKV-2BR Kidani; WDW January '11 SSR-THV; WDW August '11 OKW-Studio; WDW January '12 Family Fiesta 5k BWV-1BR; Hawaii January '13 Aulani-Studio
WDW August '14 AKV-2BR Kidani
WDW February '15
DCL Disney Magic Baltic July '15
RoyalCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
MyGoofy26
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
And the software should allow poll questions to have only one response!
You could always poll with
A. I totally agree
B. I agree more
C. I agree the most
Old 05-16-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

Location: On a Lake in Southeast Michigan,Snowbird home Bonita Springs,Florida

I hope this tread is not just about DVC's.
If you are open to opinions about any of the Disney resorts and not just DVC our family of six stayed in two connecting MK views rooms at the Contemporary in 1990. They were very spacious and we enjoyed the view.

Last edited by minnie61650; 05-16-2006 at 08:09 PM. Reason: to post a softer reply.
minnie61650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
bicker
DIS Veteran

Uh, you do know you can rent DVC villas, eh?
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #10
cobbler

Tag #1: (Under Construction: Waiting for cobbler to say something worth tagging! )

Tag #2: Beat husband in a debate

My best expirence is the 1bdrm villa at SSR. We are a family of 4 and it fit us perfectly. Let me tell you its going to be super super hard to go back to a std room after that. I only plan to do that 3 more times to stay at the CR, GF and AKL.

My worst was the 4 of us in a value. 9 nights and it was so crowded!! We said we would never go back to value again unless it was one night before we moved over to DVC.

Moderates are nice too. They are nice for my family, not too crowded. We like to go that route before moving "home".

Jan '00 - CBR / Dec '01 - CSR / Dec '03 - POR / Dec '04 - Pop & Sports / Oct '05 - POFQ / Nov '05 - 1st trip home to SSR / Nov '06 - CR Tower / Jan '07 - BWV
Oct '07 - SSMC07 & SSR / Nov '07 - ASMo / Apr '08 - AKV & ASMu / Sept '08 - SSMC08 & CBR / Nov '08 - GF /May '09 - DCL & YC /Oct '09 - SSR / Dec '09 - OKW & DCL
Apr '10 - GCV / Oct '10 - OKW / Dec '11 - VWL / Jan '12 -SSR / May '12 -Poly Concierge / Sept '12 - Grand Californian Concierge / Jan '13 - SSR

Disney Races:
Oct '07 - ToT 6.5K / May '08 - Minnie 15K / Sept '08 - EE 5K / Sept '09 - EE 5K / Oct '09 - RFTT / Oct '10 - W&D 1/2 Marathon / Jan '12 - Donald / Sept '12 - Disneyland half
Jan '13 - Goofy Challenge
cobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=cobbler]
My worst was the 4 of us in a value. 9 nights and it was so crowded!! We said we would never go back to value again unless it was one night before we moved over to DVC.

[QUOTE]

I agree 4 in value or mod would be a little tight especially when you are used to more spacious rooms.
That is why if we go with more than 2 or 3 we rent connecting rooms.

It is still a great value!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #12
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker
Uh, you do know you can rent DVC villas, eh?
Yes, I know I can rent them.
I did look into becoming a DVC member at one time in the 1990's
But then in 2001 I stayed at All Star Music with my sis on a budget trip.I found out I enjoy the theming and the peacefulness at All Star Music.
And Now All Star Music is my resort of choice.

I guess that's why Disney offers so many options.

Not everyone enjoys the same resort.

Have fun at Disney everyone!

Last edited by minnie61650; 05-16-2006 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Sorry I did not mean to sound bitter. Just had a few issues.Please forgive me.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalCanadian

This is possibly the funniest thing posted yet and so true. Sometimes I want to post when someone asks for an opinion, not Liz, do you truly want opinions or do you want everyone to agree with you. There is a huge difference.

But back to Liz's question. I love the 2 bedroom villas at DVC. And we have been lucky enough once or twice to be upgraded to a suite at a deluxe resort and that was equally just as nice.

As to the spaciousness of a regular room, the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian all get my votes. I love the bathrooms at the Contemporary.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #14
DVCLiz

Oh, rats, I had a wonderfully funny reply all typed out and then I hit a wrong button and it disappeared.

Of course I want opinions!!!! It was just supposed to be a light-hearted funny thread, not something serious at all. Although minnie61650, why so strident about DVC?? Yikes!!!

Anyway, whatever. This isn't a "DVC is better" thread at all - I just know I occasionally read that someone has had a great room experience or upgrade that made the vacation better, and that we could share some of those stories as well.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
MyGoofy26
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie61650
Yes, I know I can rent them, pay for Mousekeeping every day (by choice because I enjoy the perk of Mousekeeping and would greatly miss it)), pay double for the weekends.

Not me no way. I had the cash in 1992 to pay for a 2 bedroom DVC contract
But Disney does accept cash down (I would have gladly signed the contract for the yearly dues) they wanted (I think) 10% down and a 40 year contract.

NO DEAL.

It kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

But then in 2001 I stayed at All Star Music with my sis on a budget trip.I found out I enjoy the theming and the peacefulness at All Star Music.
And Now All Star Music is my resort of choice.

I guess that's why Disney offers so many options.

Not everyone enjoys the same resort.

Have fun at Disney everyone!
You can rent directly from Disney - you get mousekeeping everyday. It's just if rented through a DVC owner that you have to pay extra.

And granted things may have been different when it began, but I've been doing a LOT of research on DVC and from what I can understand you absolutely can pay in full, and the 40 year contract isn't for a loan or mortgage, that's the length your points are good regardless of when paid off . . . although you do have maintenance fees annually, but from my own math for the contract I'm considering I could get up to 14 nights (weeknights) for less in maintenance fees than I typically pay for a 5 night trip now. Certainly not for everyone, and if you prefer ASMu then it won't be a bargain to you. . . but I can see how for a lot of people it's a huge deal. I know that for my vacation habits, it'll be a smart move.

Last edited by MyGoofy26; 05-16-2006 at 07:08 PM.
MyGoofy26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: