Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2014, 06:00 AM   #1
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Whales, and wolves, and bears! Oh, my! And then to see an elephant fly! - Day 4

Sunday August 4th 2013
Awoke to lovely sunshine, watched another HAL ship come in, went for breakfast at Tim Hortons then took the complimentary shuttle bus to Grouse Mountain.

We all took the cable car to the top, it is possible to walk up (called the Grouse Grind) but we took the easy route! Bryan wanted to go on the chair lift to the Eye of the Wind (a wind turbine you can go to the top of), no one else did (I really hate chair lifts) so he did this alone and ended up sharing his seat with a local couple who had been to Alaska with DCL in 2011 and said they were so envious of what we had to come. Whilst he was doing this we went to watch the lumber jack show - cheesy but actually very enjoyable!

WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris

Last edited by Ware Bears; 08-27-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!

lovely pictures, I will have to look for the other bits of your trip report.
cant wait to read more.
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

There are two orphaned bears who live at the top of Grouse Mountain called Grinder and Coola

and we were lucky and saw Alpha, one of the timber wolves who live on the mountain. There was also a black female but she was much shyer and doesn't show up in the photos, she was camouflaged by the bushes.

We really enjoyed Grouse Mountain, we went in the cafe for a drink and some fries and also watched a birds of prey show. Definitely a must-to-visit if you're in Vancouver ..... and I have to go back next year as I really liked these drink coasters that were in the shape of paw prints but didn't buy as they were quite heavy and I thought I might see something just as nice whilst in Alaska ..... which I didn't so next year I'll be hoping they'll still be there!

After catching the bus back to downtown we went up the lookout tower, it's the round building on the right in the photo below.

Great views and your ticket is good for all day so you can come back again at night.

This is the Eye of the Wind wind turbine that Bryan went up earlier in the day.

The girls wanted to spend their last evening catching up with loved ones as we wouldn't have any internet after today for a week so they had good old Mcdonalds in the room and Bryan and I went just across the way to an Irish pub called Mahoney's where I had a smoked salmon pizza (extremely delicious!) and he had a Thai curry and of course a couple of yummy cocktails.

Then we just managed to get the last lift of the day (10:10pm) to the top of the lookout tower, lovely to see it again but at night - unfortunately my camera doesn't do it justice so only the one photo.

Tomorrow ~ boarding the Wonder!
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013

Last edited by Ware Bears; 08-27-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:01 AM   #4
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post
lovely pictures, I will have to look for the other bits of your trip report.
cant wait to read more.
Ah thank you, Nicky, I am so bad at doing trip reports but am determined to finish this one! I will put the other links in the index at the top of the page.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Grouse Mountain looks wonderful. If we ever make it back to Vancouver, this will go on the to do list.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Its strange seeing Grouse Mountain without snow. So pleased to see your carrying on with your TR.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: