Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Smokey91
Earning My Ears

Is Disney going to cruise to Alaska?

Has anyone heard anything about Disney cruising to Alaska? We want to cruise there so much, and really don't want to take a different cruise line. What have you heard?

Or, what cruise line would you recommend if there is no word, and we decide to cruise?

Thanks in advance for any posts.
Smokey91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
yearbook50
Mouseketeer
I gave all of I-95N a peep show

that would be so cool if they did. I would try to go on it on a maiden cruise.
yearbook50 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-10-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
ScouterJT
DIS Veteran

I would jump at a chance to do a DCL Alaska cruise
WDW 2006, 2009, 2013
Disney Wonder 2006
Disney Magic 2007 (Western)
Disney Magic 2007 (Eastern)
Disney Magic 2008 (Western)
Disney Magic 2009 (Eastern)
Disney Wonder 2013 (Alaska)
ScouterJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #4
marlaymike
Counting the days!!!

OMG! I always wanted to go to Europe with my husband and Disney Cruise Line make it happend for us, since it was difficult to me to try to convince him. The other place I always wanted to go is Alaska, and is DCL is going I could go!!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
jazstar87
According to the Tag Fairy's watch, the day isn't over yet!

i went on a princess cruise to alaska. Alaska was of course beautiful! The princess ship was ok, my cousins didn't like the kid clubs, and i guess didn't feel that magical feeling when you sail on disney. The terminal was a warehouse, kind scary....
Old 07-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

The Disney Ships aren't built for Alaskan cruising.

We cruised to Alaska on HAL a year before our Disney cruise. We were in Alaska during a record heatwave. 75 degrees is Juneau. Ships that cruise to Alaska generally have retractable glass covers over much of the top deck to make it usable in such cooler weather because 75 degrees with an ocean breeze is pretty cool. Disney, of course does not have this, so it isn't likely the current Disney ships will cruise to Alaska.

We found HAL very similar to Disney (except of course, no Mickey and friends). Kids club SEEMED similar, however, our kids never used the clubs on either ship because they found plenty of things to do on the ship without going to the clubs.

Now, HAL has made a huge change since we cruise with them in 2002. Their tipping policy WAS "no tip is expected, passengers should not expect to have to tip to receive superior service". (we tipped according to standard crusing guidelines we brought with us. HAL would not even suggest a tip amount.
NOW their tipping policy is, they automatically add a preset amount (that they set) to your bill. I have never cruised with automatic tipping, and the idea does not appeal to me. Afterall tip stands for TO INSURE PROMPTNESS, and automatic tips take that factor out of the service equation.
My mom has cruised on NCL with automatic tips and didn't care for it, and had to fight to have the amount of the automatic tip reduced because the service was not up to snuff. They were more interested in "correcting" the service problem than lowering the tips, but it's hard to correct service problems when, with freestyle cruising, you never have the same server twice.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:49 PM   #7
travelgirl06
DIS Veteran

I have cruised on HAL pre-tipping and with automatic tips. I found service to be wonderful both times. The great staff-to-guest ratio assures that there is always someone around to assist you and ensure that your desires are met, and often, exceeded. We offered additioal tips to servers we felt were exemplorary in both situations, and HAL has been one of the only lines we have done this on (in addition to "expected tips"), because it is one of the only cruise lines where we have been extremely impressed with service from general cruise staff (i.e. the dining room host and the theater bartenders). In general I was satisfied in both situations, although I must say I did like the "no tipping required" atmosphere better, because that way all of the servers and staff members truly earn their tips instead of just expecting them (I have had servers on other lines offer what I consider to be poor service, knowing that pre-paid gratuities ensure that they will still be tipped well).

Pre-paid gratuities have become commonplace on most lines (HAL, NCL, Carnival) just to name a few. Its kind of a nuissance to those of us who tip appropriately anyways, but it also assures that servers don't lose tips because customers aren't accustomed with tipping on cruises, or don't feel like tipping is really necessary. With more and more people cruising these days, I think its fair to say that some people may feel like good service should be included in their cruise fare and therefore not feel the need to leave adequate tips (which the servers rely on as a major part of their compensation).

Sorry, this is kind of off of the "Alaska" topic, but I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth in response to TVguy.

Alaska is gorgeous! A cruise is a wonderful way to experience Alaska. My Alaska cruise was on HAL, and they did a wonderful job. I loved cruising Glacier Bay, chatting with the on board naturalists, watching cultural presentations in the theater, enjoying a salmon bake on deck as we cruised by glaciers, wildlife spotting and so much more. HIGHLY recommended!
travelgirl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #8
CPM
Stands up in the Spider-Man ride for a better view
Universal Orlando onsite resorts expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelgirl06

Pre-paid gratuities have become commonplace on most lines (HAL, NCL, Carnival) just to name a few. Its kind of a nuissance to those of us who tip appropriately anyways, but it also assures that servers don't lose tips because customers aren't accustomed with tipping on cruises, or don't feel like tipping is really necessary. !
On our CCL cruise, we pre-paid our tips. They gave us coupons and we put them in an envelope to give to the individuals at the end of the cruise. So, I doubt they knew if we pre-paid or not. Extra was given where extra was due. I loved pre-paying. One less expense to worry about.

Alaska, doubt it will be any time soon for DCL, but Alaska will be our next cruise! can't wait!

Last edited by CPM; 07-11-2006 at 12:00 PM.
CPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
dletz
DIS Veteran

I was going to post this yesterday but didn't.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of Disney every going to Alaska. However I highly doubt they will go before 2009, and I don't think even then. I also don't think the Wonder or the Magic will every likely go to Alaska. I think if DCL ever does end up cruising to Alsaka it will be on a newer ship.

The #1 place I've always wanted to cruise was through the Panama Canal, Disney made that happen for me last year and it was wonderful. The #2 place I have wanted to cruise is Alaska. I have not made it to Alaska yet, but hopefully will someday. I would love to do it on DCL, but if that doesn't happen, I will end up on another ship. The #3 cruise I would love to do is a Transatlantic. Something I've always wanted to do. We are planning on going on the Westbound Repositioning cruise from Spain next summer, so if that Happens, I will have have 2 of my top 3 with DCL.

dletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

I have been planning a cruise to Alaska for 2007 since last summer. I got briefly distracted by the Disney Mediterranean cruise hoopla, and actually booked a cabin for that...then came to my senses a few days later! We'll be on the Pacific Princess June 6-13, 2007: http://www.princess.com/pb/itinerary...finition_name=

We'll be cruising the same week as CPM, although in opposite directions. However, we'll be in the same port twice - so hope we can meet!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
CPM
Stands up in the Spider-Man ride for a better view
Universal Orlando onsite resorts expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL
We'll be cruising the same week as CPM, although in opposite directions. However, we'll be in the same port twice - so hope we can meet!

YUP! Looking forward to it!
CPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #12
Esteri
DIS Veteran

We were on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska last year. Had a fantastic time! The ship didn't have glass enclosed swimming pools and it seemed just fine. They did have one small indoor heated pool - which never seemed very busy. I don't think folks expect to do much swimming in Alaska. Also - there was too much to see of the side to want to waste time in the pool.

We didn't take the kids - but the kids we saw coming out of the kids club (which was pretty small) gave it a thumbs up.

Offsite 1991 ~ Offsite 1993 ~ Shades of Green 1995 ~ DVC Member since 1999 ~
Shades of Green Oct 1999 ~ Old Key West Jan 2001 ~ Beach Club Villas Oct 2003 ~ Shades of Green / Disney Magic Aug 2006 ~ Old Key West Aug 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs May 2008 ~ Grand Californian 2008 ~ Disney Magic Through the Panama Canal Aug 2008 ~ Grand Californian Villas Feb 2010 ~
Split Stay Animal Kingdom Villas / Saratoga Springs in a GV June 2010 ~ WDW Somewhere summer 2012
Esteri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:48 AM   #13
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

in 11/05 i was invited to be part of a return cruiser survey group while on our disney cruise. the person who facilitated the discussion stated that when both the magic and the wonder were built they were both designed to be able to cruise to alaska, so there is the possibility of it in the future (and we were told it is the top choice given at all surveys conducted)-i tend to think at some point another ship will be constructed for the west coast which could be used alternatly for both so cal/mexico and alaska.

we did alaska in 8/04 on holland america thru dvc, and we'de never travel with them again-it was a couple months after the mandatory tipping had gone into effect and the service was lousy-they were also very short staffed such that no one would cover if your 'designated' server/room steward happened to be unavilable/on a break. the 'kid's club' was a sad, sorry joke. it was held in a room smaller than belief and their supplies consisted of some old board games, crayons, and some photocopies of pictures. they had 2 or 3 computers but they only let the kids use them during 'computer time' during which they had to stand in line and wait for maybe a 15 minute turn. the kid's staff was also not great-we spoke to the head of the program about our concerns and he happened to be a former dcl kid's program director. he said that he was constantly working with them, but since hal does'nt hire staff spec. for kids clubs it ends up being people who have no training/desire to work with kids and they generaly transfer to other positions asap (so they have a huge turnover rate). the entire cruise (7 days) there were maybe 8-10 kids in the kids club at the most, and the bulk were the captain's and ship's doctors kids who were the only ones who did'nt get bored after the first couple of days and drop out. they also had very limited hours-maybe 2 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon, and 3 at night (and the nighttime ones had the worst schedual-if you got stuck with late dining the kids never got to eat with you, and you had to leave before the meal ended to pick them up). they have no pager system-so if you had a kid that asked to leave you were told on subsequent visits to call every hour on the hour from a ship's phone, failing to do so got you excluded from the program
oh-and some of hal's ships do not have exterior cabins with balconies that can fit 4 people-you have to bump waaaaaaaaaay up category wise-we had an exterior with a window and it was very small (the shower was so small that dh and i ended up going up to the spa to use theirs-seemed like a lot of passengers did.
a friend went on royal carribean and said it was great-her kids loved it, the whole multi generational family loved it. said there were definate party zones but if you were'nt into it you could just avoid it.

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:42 AM   #14
beachblanket
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL
I got briefly distracted by the Disney Mediterranean cruise hoopla, and actually booked a cabin for that...then came to my senses a few days later!
You must not be alone. Just yesterday, I received a fancy DCL mail promotion hyping the Mediterranean cruises. The line wouldn't have spend the money on that if these sailings were already "sold out" (as some here keep implying).
beachblanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
fcrouch
Mouseketeer

we did an RCCL Alaska cruise a few years ago - it was a large family group - no one utilized the kids clubs - of course they were nothing like DCL - but may have improved - we thought it a fine "middle of the road" cruise line with lots for any age group - of course we were off the ship every port doing things that we could not do elsewhere as far as we were concerned - the older folks certainly enjoyed all the scenery (and I include myself in that category) - probably hard to interest a toddler in glaciers calving? My nieces could've utilized in room babysitting - but didn't - our daughter was an infant (8 weeks) so she was easy (and she was already sleeping through the night so that wasn't an issue - we were very lulcky) anyway - I don't know if their huge ships go to Alaska - but the RCCL "mariner" class (the step down in size from the one with the indoor mall) are very nice -
fcrouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: