Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #91
nemocute
Mouseketeer

Dear Wendy,

What a wonderful report you are writing! Sensitive, sweet, and filled with laughter- just wanted to let you know how much my family and I are enjoying it!

Mimi and family
Old 05-21-2006, 07:09 AM   #92
mimiloveswdw
Proud Hufflepuff

love the report

Listen with your heart; you will understand. Let it break upon you like a wave upon the sand.
All of time and space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?
It means no worries for the rest of your days. It's our problem-free philosophy: Hakuna Matata!
Now I'm climbing the walls. But you don't notice at all...that I'm going out of my mind, all day and all night.
People do crazy things...when they're in love.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2006, 11:18 AM   #93
sheridac
DIS Veteran

Hucifer,

My good friend lou(not ser) pointed me this way. I am on board all the way now sister. This translated means now I'm all up in your business. Which means I need to know it all.

Last edited by sheridac; 05-21-2006 at 11:18 AM. Reason: oh wait, I already do know it all. carry on.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #94
Maleficent13
Heh Heh, you're all gonna die
Last I checked, my nose had nothing to do with my period
Pop Daddy is the man of her dreams
There's too much stuff in my head

Just another post of encouragement (and a )! I check everyday for the latest of the flipping huge trip report!
Old 05-22-2006, 11:36 AM   #95
hucifer
The tag that was here was staler than 3 yr old bread crumbs
The Van Halen song "Running with the Devil" was about my parakeet!
Smell anything? It's just my sauerkraut

Just want to thank the newbies, nemocute and mimiloveswdw, for the posts.

Hey sheridac! Welcome to my report. I think I get more readers from Lou's referrals than I do on my own. My DH thinks that Lou's replies are funnier than my report...nice. And yeah...I see that remark in the bottom of your post.

Hey Mal! Good to see you.

Last edited by hucifer; 05-22-2006 at 11:37 AM. Reason: You still have much to learn, sheridac.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 PM   #96
Briarmom
Bessie Robindale
Larry's been done. Laird is refreshing!
I always thought it was my farsighted left eye that did me in
Knows about bone folders

What a fabulous trip report.
The last installment had me in tears. Our friends just returned with their newly adopted daughter from Russia. We will eat dinner with them tonight, and I am not sure how I will be ever be able to look at her without crying happy tears. Unfortunately, we won't see much of her, as our movers are here right as I type this. Such is the military life.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:37 PM   #97
GeorgiaAristocat
Côôl DIS Veteran
Is this a quiet woohooty?
I'm proud that my brain finally kicked in!

Hucifer (and Dan, since he's sort of a part of this too) -
What a wonderful trip report. I was referred her by someone on the maelstrom, I don't remember who, probably SherSher, since she knows everything.

And even though you don't know me. I was crying right there with you, and for you. I think it a little miracle that you discovered the family later here on the DIS. God's plans are mysterious but mighty. Good luck in whatever is to come!

Okay, now I need to spend my afternoon reading the LAST report. Sheesh.
Christmas with Mickey! Our first trip as AP holders! December 2007 POFQ
There's Nothing Like Celebrating Your Birthday with the Mouse! May 2008 POR
October is boo-rific! October 2008 POFQ
Our Friend is on R&R from Iraq, So We're Disney World Bound! November 2009 CSR

Kids, Disney, Action! Extreme Trip (Report) HERE
Old 05-22-2006, 03:21 PM   #98
Beana9802
DIS Veteran

Okay, so I am the queen of lately, but what is this maelstrom that many talk about. I know it is the ride in Norway, but can someone please direct me to what you mean on here?

Thanks.
Hucifer...sorry!
Old 05-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #99
TinksMagic54
Mouseketeer

OMG! I was enjoying your trip report and when you got to the part about the little girl on the monorail, I lost it. I too know what it is like to want and not be able to have a child. One Mother's Day I spent sleeping because I couldn't face the day....I just wanted the day to pass so I wouldn't be reminded....yet again.....I was not a mom.

However, almost 12 years ago, we adopted a little girl and she has been the light of our lives. This December will be our third time to WDW with her. May you and your Caveman find the right solution for you as a couple to share your love of Disney with a little someone some day.
WDW 1992 - Offsite
WDW 1983 - Offsite

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Old 05-22-2006, 07:30 PM   #100
hucifer

Briarmom and GeorgiaAristocat, thanks for your warm thoughts! I am touched that so many people here are kind to a stranger...wow. Every time I think about adding another part to the trip report, I find that more people have responded. It really is overwhelming. But in a good way!

Beana9802 (aka Queen of the Off Topic), this is the thread people are referencing when they mention the maelstrom: Maelstrom

TinksMagic54, people like you are an inspiration. I know I would love an adopted child as much as my own. Someone I know who has had both a child naturally and an adopted child once told me, "You love them like your own. Your heart doesn't know the difference." These words have never left me. What an impact they had!

Dan said I shouldn't leave too many days on such a sad note, so I am getting ready to post the next installment.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:00 PM   #101
hucifer

Part 2. The art of nose picking

Once inside the park, I was feeling better as long as I stayed focused on the stuff around me…except for the thousands of children around the place.

Me and Mickey (along with some strangers), ready to hit our favorite park. Oh, and some international grub.

We were very anxious to try the new attraction Soarin’. But it’s a little after 10am by now and the standby line was like 50 minutes already. So we grab some Fastpasses and head over to the other side of the park.

Test Track is whirring away overhead. Dan makes it very clear that he wants to go on that next. By clear I mean he’s jumping up and down, pointing at TT, and saying, “Can we go on that next? Can we? Huh? Huh?” But holy crap, the standby line is over 30 minutes! The single line says 10 minutes, so there really isn’t a question about which line we’ll choose.

Don’t you feel like a first-class passenger when you hit the singles line? You literally walk past a hundred folks in standby who watch you walk right onto the ride. (I guess they don’t call it standby for nothing…right, Mickey? Heh heh.) Ever notice how those standby folks look as you run past them? Some look jealous, some angry, and some look puzzled. The puzzled look always amuses me…it’s like they didn’t understand how your line is moving so quickly.

Ten minutes my butt! We go straight from outdoors right into the video room. A few minutes later, we’re waiting for our next car. Sure Dan and I are taking separate cars. But it is sooooo worth it.

Seven minutes later, I’m scrambling out of my car to check out my photo. Everyone is gathered around the screens as usual, but many of them were pointing and laughing at one photo in particular. I moved forward to see what the commotion was about.

You guessed it. They were laughing at my husband.

He’s got an index finger up his nose and one very surprised expression on his face. Like he just got caught…picking his nose. My god it was hysterical. Nice way to make up for the lame Dinosaur snapshot. Had I read about LaLa’s neat little trick about taking a picture of a picture before this trip, I would have done that. Unfortunately, that never crossed my mind and the image is gone forever. Curses!

“That’s my husband!” I shout, trying to cash in on Dan’s minor celebrity status. A few men laughed, a few women gave me sympathy looks. Dan comes walking up just in time to hear my announcement. When he sees the photo he gives me his “I’m so proud of myself” look, giggles, and walks away.

And yes, all that positive attention would create a nose-picking monster.

Since being single worked so well the first time, Dan and I try our luck being single on Mission Space. Apparently, this is the alternate universe from Test Track, where singles are sparingly picked off as the standby crowd zooms by. We watched the end of the standby line go into the preparation room while we stood in line and waited to be called in. Crap! I guess it’s like switching lanes in traffic…once you are finally able to squeeze into the moving lane, the one you left suddenly moves forward.

So we ride Mission Space like a couple of pros (I dig this ride!) and walk toward the exit with shaky knees. The doors open and we step back outside. What the…? Holy crap, this park is getting packed. I would blame it on the Food and Wine Festival, but I came last October and it wasn’t anything like this. We can hardly walk without an “excuse me,” “sorry,” or a “why don’t you people go home like you were last year?”

We eventually meander to Spaceship Earth for one last attraction before lunch. Yep kiddies, there is a line for this bad boy too. Now, as much as I admire the nostalgic timelessness about this attraction, I am not feeling the love for the outdated technology of the ride’s mechanics. In 1982 I’m sure this was a technological wonder. By today’s standards…well, I’m sure they’ve done market surveys on those hard blue plastic seats…and probably know that the average WDW visitor isn’t comfortable in them, especially for 20 minutes at a time. Also, I cannot rest my head against the headrest because the sound system has degraded and, as an effort to make up for it, they’ve turned the volume up very loud…and this level hurts my ears. So I lean my head forward a bit from the headrest, but the track has degraded too, and the chains which pull the vehicle forward tend to slip, which jerks the car back and forward, thus repeatedly slamming my head against the blue plastic headrest. All while this is happening, you hear a loud clunk from under your feet. This becomes very distracting. And painful. And do I need to mention the smell? Okay, Rome burning smells awesome. But I mean the old, musty smell that is a gentle reminder for the olfactories that this thing needs a few updates. I know I can’t be the only one to smell it. So for as much as I still love this silly little attraction, I’m just not enamored with the jerking, slamming, clunking, and smelling innards. Call me crazy.

It’s 11:50 and we’ve got a noon ADR at Biergarten. Just as we approach the restaurant, the rain hits. Dan is so excited (not because of the rain) because he’s been anxious to try Biergarten. We wait for the restaurant to open and watch as people dart for shelter from the rain. When the restaurant does open, we are among the first to be seated, so the place is empty and we can really check out the architecture inside. What a beautiful building! It looks like a little German town in here.

Check out that ghosty image in the lower left corner. Probably the spirit of some old German waitress. Spoooooookyyyyyyyyy.

And the food smells so good…we’re told we can get our food but first I tell Dan that he cannot eat until he’s washed his fingers (all that nose picking, you know).

The food doesn’t disappoint Dan, but the vegetarian pickings are slim for me. However, what I can eat tastes pretty darn good…and look ma, no aftertaste! Dan, of course, loves the food so much that he goes up for seconds…and thirds. And dessert. Dude, slow down. We have to eat again tonight.

Dan, trying to put those 85 pounds back on and doing one heck of a job.

Dan gives Biergarten a big thumbs up and announces that we have to eat there again. Not doing so would be all illegal and stuff. Never mind that I don’t get the smorgasbord of choices that you get, dear. We step outside…ick, the rain is still going. So we pull out the rain gear, I tuck my Pal inside to keep him dry, and we meander our way through the sea of Mickey ponchos.

The rain isn’t keeping the guests away. We eventually get back to the Land pavilion so that we can use our Fastpasses. The Soarin’ standby line is up to 80 minutes. Good thing we came during the value season, honey! You know, to beat the crowds and all. Now let’s see what this new attraction is all about.

Pal Mickey, say something…like, “Oh boy! This ride sure is swell! Just make sure you have your pilot’s license ready. Ha ha!” …No? Well, obviously age is catching up with you because you can’t seem to hear any of the twenty million Soarin’ radio frequencies that are being thrown at you.

We stand in our lines and the monitor overhead comes on. Puddy from Seinfeld gives us our flight instructions, and Dan’s squealing for joy (“Look! It’s Puddy!”). The doors open and we walk to our glider. I safely stow my silent Pal into the bin and we sit into our gliders. I have to say, this is a wonderful attraction. The wind, the scents, the sensation of flying (no head slamming, musty smells, or chain slipping!)…it was a fantastic experience. Dan and I were very impressed. But you can forget getting back on this thing. The standby line creeped up to 90 minutes and Fastpasses won’t be ready to use until dinner time. Curses!

Next installment: Part 3. The Prison of Tomorrow

Last edited by hucifer; 05-22-2006 at 08:21 PM. Reason: My bad. Forgot the italics.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #102
Belle Amy
There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucifer
“That’s my husband!” I shout, trying to cash in on Dan’s minor celebrity status. A few men laughed, a few women gave me sympathy looks. Dan comes walking up just in time to hear my announcement. When he sees the photo he gives me his “I’m so proud of myself” look, giggles, and walks away.
I really almost wet myself. I always love how some women give sympathy looks when we're laughing our butts off at the men we love. The things we are proud of.

Biergarten is fantastic, I haven't been there in a while though, I need to go back. Brian almost killed a waitress there once. But that's a different story. I've been afraid to show my face.

Keep it comin, I'm loving it!

6/30/07 At Home Wedding 7/2-7/5 Disneymoon
Old 05-22-2006, 09:44 PM   #103
MissK
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! Fantastic so far
Old 05-23-2006, 05:10 AM   #104
sheridac
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Unfortunately, that never crossed my mind and the image is gone forever. Curses!
Uh, no. This image in forever burned into my brain. Thanks Hucifer!! A lot!

Last edited by sheridac; 05-23-2006 at 05:10 AM. Reason: no I don't
Old 05-23-2006, 06:16 AM   #105
Loubon
Tutor Magnet (Talk to me)
Knows someone with real Mod super powers
Thinks he's stalked by the lady

Dan looks like he's praying over his dessert. Please don't let me gain the weight back 'cause this is sooooo good.

There's Clowns To The Left Of Me ....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: