Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
Virgo10
Really, this year there's no one who floats my boat

Question Have you ever had a "MUSIC" Moment?

You know, the kind that makes your jaw hang open or time slows down or you just want to jump up and down because the music is THAT good?

I love almost all types of music so I've had a few.

The first time I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan, it was like being plugged into an electric socket. I couldn't have picked a better time to be a 14 year old girl.

Walking up to the fountain at EPCOT and hearing Standing in Motion for the first time and actually every time. Goosebumps and joy.

Watching Paul Simon sing Late In The Evening during the Central Park concert. Even though I was watching on TV, I could feel the emotion in that mob.

Seeing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in person at the Hatch Shell in Boston. WOW!

Sitting 10 feet from the stage and having the Everly Brothers sing Walk Right Back... my favorite of all their songs.

Not to end this on a down note but I have never before or since had music effect me like this did. 3 weeks after 9/11 I went on a trip to WDW which had been planned long before that date. On a Sunday I came back to my room around early afternoon and turned on the TV. There was a concert on for the victims and their families. When Lee Greenwood came on and sang this, I lost it and I lost it for quite a while.

If tomorrow all the things were gone
I'd worked for all my life,
And I had to start again
with just my children and my wife,
I'd thank my lucky stars
to be living here today,
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom
and they can't take that away.

I'm proud to be an American
where at least I know I'm free,
And I won't forget the men who died
who gave that right to me,
And I gladly stand up next to you
and defend her still today,
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota
to the hills of Tennessee,
Across the plains of Texas
from sea to shining sea.
From Detroit down to Houston
and New York to L.A.,
There's pride in every American heart
and it's time we stand and say:

God Bless the U.S.A.

God Bless the U.S.A.

So has anyone else ever had a happy, sad, good, bad musical moment?
Virgo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
AllyandJack
* Here is where a picture of my girls would be, if I could figure out how to size it. Instead, it's an angry Tinker Bell. :-)

The music from Spectromagic gets me....the night all of my guests arrived for my wedding at WDW, we all went to MK and saw Spectromagic. I remember standing there and breathing a huge sigh of relief....my guests got there, the wedding was planned, everything was OK. Then, Cinderella came by and saw me in my Bride Mouse Ears, waved and said, "Congratulations!" OK, I was 26 at the time and I started to tear up because Cinderella talked to me. So, now, when I hear that music, I choke up because I remember that night and how happy I was.

My Nana died shortly after Carrie Underwood won American Idol and released her "Inside Your Heaven" single. My Nana died of lung cancer and toward the end, she was gasping for air. When I heard the lyrics, "Every bit of air you're breathing in, a soothing wind.....", I lost it. I still do sometimes.

And, finally, Britney Spears. Yes, Britney Spears. Her song "Someday". "Nothing seems to be the way that it used to. Everything seems shallow, God give me truth. In me...and tell me somebody's watching over me. And that is all I'm praying that someday....I will understand. In God's own plan and what he's done to me. Oh, but maybe....someday I will breathe and I'll finally see....I'll see it all in my baby."

Of course, I also have my angry songs that I blare in traffic. So, if you're in bumper to bumper traffic on 93 in Massachusetts and you hear Eminem blaring, that could be me!

AllyandJack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

The first time I saw Metallica on tv was for their "One" song when I was about 14. It was the song that pushed them mainstream over 15 years ago. I loved it! I loved it so much I dragged my 50-yr old mother in from the kitchen to watch it with me. She was but I didn't care!

Now, everytime I see Linkin Park in concert I'm floored, and I've heard every one of their songs a billion times. They are one of those bands who is better live than on CD - and their CDs are pretty freakin' good!

I love music!

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
vettechick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
cteddiesgirl
Not invisible to the Tag Fairy. :)
My poll probably has more choices
Yep. I'm a real dork

Location: 970 miles from WDW and 2070 miles from DLR in Indy, IN :(

As music is a very big part of my life, I've had many "music" moments.

There are many songs that have touched me in many ways during certain times in my life. I'm quite an emotional person and music is very emotional.

Fight hate and Promote Tolerance. www.Tolerance.org www.goodbearsoftheworld.org www.pbs.org
WDW in '72 (in the womb), '75, '76, '78,'79,'83,'89 (offsite), '97 CBR, '14 ASMu.
cteddiesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
kikakeko
Mouseketeer

I too love music and get very involved with it.

My all time favorite music memory though...

Suprise tickets from my DH to Aerosmith and Run DMC. I was the total groupie crying, screaming and waving. I think it was the last time or one of the last times they preformed Walk this Way together before Jam Master Jay was killed.

I love all music and couldn't imagine my life without it.

~Kim~
(me), (DH), (dd,9), (dd,4) (dd,4)

kikakeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
wvrevy
Daddy to da' princess, which I guess makes me da' King

Two Disney related moments I can think of:

- The old "Tapestry of Nations" parade music. The first time we saw this, my mom was actually with us, and our then 1 year old DD just sat there with her mouth open through the whole thing.

- We went to see the Candlelight Processional a couple years ago - a "moment" in and of itself - and afterward got a really good spot for Illuminations. At the end of the regular show, there was a song called "Let it Begin With Me", sung by some choir or another. I should mention that I always get emotional when watching Illuminations, but with that song - and it's message of peace - it really hit me. To date, that is the best thing I have ever experienced on Disney property.

The biggest non-Disney related:

My DD was born premature - about 8 weeks - and weighed only about 3 and a half pounds. We hadn't expected to be delivering when we did (my DW had gone in for a standard test when they found a problem), so I left the hospital to go home and get them both some clothes. On the way home, the song "The Dance" came on the radio, and I feel absolutely no shame in saying that I bawled my stupid eyes out (stress release ). We had just gone from a normal appointment to the birth of this tiny little baby in about 2 hours, so I think it was justified. (BTW...DD was fine. She never even had to go on oxygen, and came home from the hospital when she finally hit 4 pounds, almost three weeks later...tough kid that).
wvrevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
liamsaunt
I was an irish girl with an afro
I am Doombah Dippinlips. I just don't know what to say about that
Agh! I'm a chip junkie!
Mashed potatoes were invented as a delivery vehicle

Oh definitely. The first time I heard U2's "Bad." The first time I heard U2's "Ultra Violet."

Lots of amazing concert moments too. The time Bono took my DH's Irish flag and sang "Sunday Bloody Sunday" to it. The first time I saw Sarah McLachlan live--I just went along with a friend, was not familiar with her. We saw her at the Somerville theater, and she was amazing, especially "Vox." Front row for Midnight Oil--such a powerhouse live. Taking my little brother to see REM and watching him be so excited when they sang his favorite song (Orange Crush).
Bruce Springsteen on the vote for change tour. He was mesmerizing. Lots more--I love live music, though I have to wear earplugs now. I have some hearing damage in my right ear from too many live shows.
Disney related, the music to SpectroMagic and Wishes gets me every time.
liamsaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
beckmrk04
Considers naming first-born Coca-Cola
No pizza discrimination here!
If I roll my eyes any harder they are going to fly out the back of my head
bless me with Henry Winkler!

The Wishes music- when I was on my honeymoon I just cried- I was so overwhelmingly happy to be standing in front of the castle watching fireworks with my new dh!

"What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong always gets me.

I love music. The National Anthem never fails to give me goosebumps. The song "I Hope You Dance" always makes me think of having a daughter, and how I want to raise her.

What a great thread, OP!! Now, I'm feeling all nostalgic.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Pooh's Pixie
The joy I get seeing those little red envelopes in the mail really speaks to how unexciting my life is!

The live version of U2's "Bad"...and U2's "One". Those are two of my "deserted island" songs. I could listen to them over & over forever.

"Proud to be an American" reminds me of my Marine cousin that we lost when he was 23...played it at his funeral.

Anything patriotic gives me the goosebumps.

SSR Owners
Mom of

Pooh's Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #10
snappy
Survivor
Can't even start a dead thread!
Former 5 yr old STAR on stage!

Lots of them over the years at the N.O. jazz fest.

Two specific "moments" happened during open air concerts during the world's fair held in N. O. in 1984. One was Jimmy Buffet, we were with a large group of friends, and we had FUN. Another much more laid back one was later at a James Taylor concert.

My DH and I were also big Three dog Night fans back in the day. Hearing them in concert was much better than listening to their albums at home.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #11
TheOtherVillainess
Luminous beings we are, not this crude matter.....

The first time I got to see Barry Manilow in concert, summer of 2002. I was probably one of the youngest people in the audience at the tender age of 24 but I didn't care. We ran into one of my mom's friends wh ile waiting for the gates to open and she seemed shocked that a person my age actually liked Barry Manilow.

I was jumping up and down and screaming like a little girl when he came on stage and I cried during "Mandy" and "Weekend in New England".

Another one that springs to mind is the end of the fireworks show on our honeymoon in 1999. We'd been out at MK all day and I had messed up my feet to the point where I could no longer walk. DH had to get me a wheelchair and he found the perfect spot for us to watch the fireworks. At the end, I remember they played "Remember the Magic" by Brian McKnight and DH leaned down and put his arms around my shoulders. I cried like a baby at that. It was all so beautiful.

TOV
TheOtherVillainess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
MinnieM3
Survivor
Mother, teacher, friend and GAGWTA sister
John Travolta can take me flying on his jet anytime baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cteddiesgirl
As music is a very big part of my life, I've had many "music" moments.

There are many songs that have touched me in many ways during certain times in my life. I'm quite an emotional person and music is very emotional.
Ditto! I'll try to think of some major ones....

When I first heard DD20's heartbeat in the doc's office, We Are The World was on the music system. big moment!

After Hurricane Hugo, one of the first songs I heard was Micheal Jackson's "Man in the Mirror" about making changes for the better.... also same time was Phil Collins "Just Another Day In Paradise" and I realized even though I wasn't able to be back in my house yet, others had it worse than I did.

When you Wish Upon a Star and Wishes.... figure it out!

Meatloaf Bat Outta Hell..... whole album.....got me through my first chemo regimen, along with Simon and Garfunkel's "Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme." I just laid back, put the headphones one and I could have been anywhere, but where I was. Those two albums saved me. It's is my DREAM to one day be able to tell Meatloaf what he meant to me or at least write to him.

Whole Phantom of the Opera Original Broadway Soundtrack from our recent visit to New York. My first Broadway show and just life changing for me.

I just LOVE music!
WL Summer 2002 WLThanksgiving2002
AKL March 2003 AKL February 2004
CB Summer 2004
Cont. Tower Thanksgiving 2004
WL Easter 2005
Polynesian Memorial Day 2005
Pop Century July 2006
MinnieM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
BelleMcNally
Mouseketeer
Has been known to belt out Kenny Rogers tunes from the tops of tables!
I've never met a cereal I didn't like!

I have a few:

Going to a U2 concert (okay...3 U2 concerts..) right after 9/11 and hearing Bono sing "Walk On" while the names from the passenger and crew manifests of all four flights scrolled on a screen behind him...there was not a single person who was not in tears.
(Side Note: Also how he changed the lyrics to "New York" to be 'religious nuts & political fanatics don't belong/New York is singing a different song got a HUGE response)

When I was younger, I went to Interlochen Arts Camp in Michigan, and the World Youth Symphony Orchestra debuted a Russian piece that had never been played before...it was the MOST amazing music I've ever heard...as soon as the conductor dropped his hands, the whole place stood, as if on cue. I clapped until my hands were actually raw...I remember them taking bow after bow, and the conductor holding up the score of the music so that we could applaud it....I'd give anything if I could recall the name of that piece...
BelleMcNally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:24 PM   #14
jimmalru80

DIS Veteran

Any time I hear the first few notes of a new album by Kings X (or one of their members solo projects), I have a special music moment. That sound is as comforting as an old favorite blanket, very special and very secure.
Planning for 2015
jimmalru80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
olena
Emerald Angel
Be glad that I'm not a fairie! I'd be having all kinds of fun!
So it's not emotional constipation
The Caption Game Queen

Oh yes! I have lots of those. Sometimes I want to cry out with joy. The last I remember was when my group was sightreading through a Mozart piece we were doing. There was one particular part that just so superbly Mozart that I shivered. A fellow Soprano leaned over and said,"You, too?"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: