Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
JrsyDebs
Mouseketeer

Need ideas for hotel for solo trip

I was thinking of finding something in the DTD area. Would really rather stay at one of the Epcot area resorts, but since they are all Disney resorts or Swan/Dolphin, I do not think I could afford to stay there.

Here is my criteria: Room does not have to be big, since it will be just me, but I want it to be good quality (say, 3 or 4-star quality room). Near WDW/Epcot. Decent shuttle transportation to/from parks. About 100 dollars or less per night.

Can anyone suggest an online site that is best to find good rooms for great rates? Also need your opinions on where specifically to stay; I am in the pre-planning stage of my "treating myself because I will be 50 and I deserve it" trip.

May 1996: Dixie Landings
November 2005: off-site (Windsor Palms)
JrsyDebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #2
newholidayx2
Searching for the perfect tree
Do you get bunny kisses?

In March I stayed 2nights at Pop before switching over to VWL. I had no problem.

Nov 2009 - employed by Disney
Dec 27 2008 - relocated to FL
newholidayx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
ducklite
Take the Poly, it's fabulous!
Another Mama Melroses fan here!
I am SO in! And I don't care if my friends all think I'm a dork because of it

In your price range the only on property resort that you'll find is the values, Pop and the All Stars. The biggest issue I see with them as far as you are concerned is that they tend to be very noisy. They are equivalent to a budget type hotel--very much like a Fairfield by Marriott. I've had one clean, one OK, and one room that should never have had a guest in it when I've stayed at the All Stars.

You might want to look at the Hilton in DTD, I've gotten a nice room (as nice as just about any WDW deluxe) in the $100 range. You can walk across the street to DTD, and although you can't take the bus from there to any theme park, you can take the bus to any WDW resort and transfer, or you can take the DTD Resort buses directly to the parks. The room had a coffee maker and mini-fridge, and was very spacious with a king bed, easy chair, and desk with an executive style chair. Robes were provided, the bathroom was roomier than at most WDW resorts, and the snack shop in the lobby serves Starbucks!

Anne
ducklite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:42 AM   #4
MickeyCrazed
Disney Bound and now tagged.....does life get any better than this??

Location: Del-A-Where? Exactly 983.48 miles from our BWV home!

Have you considered renting DVC points for a studio? Depending on the time of year you are going, you can definately meet the $100 per night criteria during the weekdays (Sunday - Thursday nights).
Old 04-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCrazed
Have you considered renting DVC points for a studio? Depending on the time of year you are going, you can definately meet the $100 per night criteria during the weekdays (Sunday - Thursday nights).

you might even get the BWV for $90 or OKW for $80.

so what are you dates?

these prices are good for Sept, Oct, most of Nov and Dec, and Jan...

despite it going for those months - Dec is generally very, very hard to get - pretty popular with DVC members.

BWV would be hard Oct, Nov and Dec - food/wine festavial then thanksgiving, then Christmas stuff (this starts in dec for everything - some of it starts in Nov)

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:22 PM   #6
JrsyDebs
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the ideas

I was actually considering the Hilton at DTD, but I have not been able to find a room yet for under 130/night (that's really not too bad anyway, but I can't justify spending over 100 dollars for just me). I would really like to stay there. I read somewhere that Hilton guests are the only non-WDW resort people who can get into EMH; that would be a big plus.

No offense to anyone, but I would not consider staying at a Value resort, for lots of reasons.

The idea about renting DVC points for a studio is a good one. I do not know too much about how to do that though...

BTW, most likely I will be going for a weekend or long-weekend trip. Wish I could go during the week, but I still have a daughter in school, and she still needs help getting ready in the mornings on school days. Possibly late October; a little after the big birthday in mid-September.

I am also thinking about being a little less structured since it is just me going and I don't have my heart set on a specific place to stay, as long as it is nice. Maybe I will wait til just a couple weeks before the trip, and use an "auction" type site like Priceline for the 4-star room. Do you think I could get something good for about 70 or 80 dollars?

May 1996: Dixie Landings
November 2005: off-site (Windsor Palms)
JrsyDebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrsyDebs
offense to anyone, but I would not consider staying at a Value resort, for lots of reasons.

Maybe I will wait til just a couple weeks before the trip, and use an "auction" type site like Priceline for the 4-star room. Do you think I could get something good for about 70 or 80 dollars?
you would have to be offsite. the dolphin and swan has not shown up on priceline for a while.

better value than offsite.... my opinion....

now sometimes the DD Hilton does show up - but you know priceline no guarantees...

the Disney hotels are never on priceline.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
chyam
Where is that LL Bean catalog when you really need it
I always feel like eeyore!

Have you considered the Port Orleans resorts? I perfer the French Quarter but Riverside is nice too, I most always travel alone and although my first choice would be the WL I have decided that I like the price of POR resorts, I find the landscaping to be beautiful and tranquil,it has a great boat to Downtown Disney and also all the bus transportation to the parks, it has 2 great food courts to choose from and Riverside also has quiet pools. Depending on the time of the year you could probably get something in your price range.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:17 AM   #9
Ghost
DIS Veteran

CBR… close enough to EPCOT to see the fireworks… not sure about the price, but with some discount codes it might be on or near your budget…
Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: