DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
lovetoseemickey
Earning My Ears

bummed out

I just got word that Disney used their ROFR and bought the resale that I was trying to purchase. It was at SSR. A measley 25 points. I am bummed out. It was my ten year anniversary present from my husband. Guess I will wait for the next small resale. You would think Disney has enough SSR points.
lovetoseemickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Assuming you are already a DVC member, by the time you pay closing costs on a resale, wouldn't it be about the same price as adding on directly through Disney for that small of a contract?

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-07-2006, 01:23 PM   #3
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Are you already a DVC member? If not, that may be the reason Disney exercised its ROFR. There's been some speculation that Disney is trying to keep administrative costs down by "discouraging" people from buying a small contract via resale if they do not already have a "Master" contract of at least 150 points. May or may not be true.

Good luck on your next attempt.

Best wishes -
CarolMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
lovetoseemickey
Earning My Ears

No I am not a DVC owner. I was trying to buy a small amount of points to see if this was for me. I am also in Nursing school and I didn't want to commit to 150 points. Has anybody else had a problem purchasing a small amount of points through resale? (Non DVC and with Disney using their ROFR)
Old 04-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
LisaS
DIS Veteran

For the past couple of months, Disney has been exercising ROFR on non-members attempting to purchase very small contracts. Someone did pass at the end of February with a 50 point contract at VWL by offering $99.20 per point (with seller paying closing costs and current maintenance fees to even things out a bit).

Beca and VAScubaGuy maintain a thread here to track the contracts that pass ROFR and those that do not. It will give you some idea what your chances are of getting through. I think you will either have to purchase more points (maybe 75-100) or offer a much higher price/point to get through.

The contract info table gets updated from time to time. The most recent update is in reply #2001 on page 134: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....page=134&pp=15

I hope you have better luck next time!
Old 04-07-2006, 02:42 PM   #6
Stitch 03
Mouseketeer

I would keep trying and agree that you may want to raise the asking price a bit.

When I first bought (82 OKW points), I actually offered more then the asking price.It really did not cost me much more and it lowered my risk of Disney exercising ROFR.

As far as small contracts, I would look at OKW. Contracts in the 25 point range come up fairly often and it is a great resort. The only thing you lose by not getting SSR is the extra 12 years. However, you can always add-on SSR points at a later date.
2005 - POFQ/YC
2005 - SSR/BCV
2006 - OKW/BWV
2007 - SSR
2008 - AKV/BWV

Proud owner of 82 OKW points, 100 BWV points, 50 AKV points, and 50 BLT points
Stitch 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
rigsby25
DIS Veteran

How disappointing for you. I hope you are luckier next time.
rigsby25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Blue&Gold
Mouseketeer

From Disney's perspective, your 25 points equals less than $100 a year in dues... For that, they have the same administrative costs (mailings, Vacation Magic, whatever) as someone out there who has 1000 points.

On the positive side, they "have you" and quite obviously you are add-on bait, so the prospect of future profit is there. But, I can't say it is bad business on their part to ROFR those contracts. Better luck next time, or try one of the tactics referenced above.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
JimMIA
A little Miami humor...

Location: Miami, Wyndham Great Smoky Mountains, and EVER (Everglades National Park)

Sorry you got ROFR'd. I think it's shortsighted of Disney to keep ROFRing these small contracts, but they sure are hammering them. Good luck on your future offers.
JimMIA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:26 PM   #10
lovetoseemickey
Earning My Ears

Why even have them available to non DVC if it cost them too much?
I wanted to purchase a small amount of points from three of my favorite resorts. This would have added up to the larger amounts that they approve. I will try once more, but after that, I don't know if I will do Disney or try another timeshare. Any other timeshare owners out there that have advice?
Thanks for cheering me up.

My husband couldn't believe it. After all the money we spend there each year. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:06 PM   #11
mikesmom
Never pool hops without a licence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoseemickey
Why even have them available to non DVC if it cost them too much?
I wanted to purchase a small amount of points from three of my favorite resorts. This would have added up to the larger amounts that they approve. I will try once more, but after that, I don't know if I will do Disney or try another timeshare. Any other timeshare owners out there that have advice?
Thanks for cheering me up.

My husband couldn't believe it. After all the money we spend there each year. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Actually they DON'T have them available to non DVC. You couldn't get a contract that small if you were buying from them. The only reason there are any out there for sale is that a small contract was probably an add on belonging to a member. They don't want you buying one that small. You might want to think through buying small contracts at 3 different resorts. You would only have 11 month advantage for one resort at a time (you couldn't combine the 3 batches to make one ressie unless you were inside the 7 month window.) Even with banking & borrowing you might not be able to put together much of a trip.
mikesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
dvc_john
DIS Veteran

DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 2nd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoseemickey
I will try once more, but after that, I don't know if I will do Disney or try another timeshare. Any other timeshare owners out there that have advice?
Keep in mind that virtually all other timeshares sell in units of a week. Even point based systems sell based on number of points required for a particular unit/season for a week.
25 points averages about 1 day in a 1br per year. I don't know of any other timeshare that sells in quantities that low.
dvc_john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:43 PM   #13
lovetoseemickey
Earning My Ears

I figured it could be three nights at OKW studio or 6 nights OKW every other year or I could buy more points.

I will try again. I didn't plan on combining my points from the other resorts. By the time I had purchased them, I would be out of Nursing school and more time and flexibility with my vacation time. For the next couple of years, I will only be able to visit Disney for three days max (per year). I think I am going into withdrawl, just by writing that.

The brighter side of this is now I have more money for my May trip (5 nights POP).

Thank you everyone for your post.

I have moved on.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: