Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #76
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPoppins
Did you ever stop to wonder...how does a person get CRT for breakfast without DISing??? Are their DISers who are those rude type of people? Seriously, even the most knowledgable DISer sometimes cannot get CRT...so how to "others" do it?

Another thing..I always hear how people get to MK early and wait at the entrance to TL, or FL or AL for the rope drop...but everytime I'm there the rope drop is at the train station and everyone is squeezed in the space between the train station and the turnstyles...am I missing something?
We did still get squeezed between the station and the turnstiles - but I was the FIRST person through the turnstiles, and then the first person in through the train station! Like I said, it was just a few steps, but a neat few steps nonetheless!!

NicoleMarie

"Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand elsewhere." Psalm 84:10

What I learned from the DIS - Spring Break 2006 (with pics!!)

Are We Turkeys? - Thanksgiving 2006 at WDW

Old 04-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #77
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZUB
You've just summed up my thoughts on Le Cellier. If this were a discussion thread, that might start an uproar.

I'm right with you on the less than proper clothing for girls these days. We're not raising our daughter to be one of the hooches who chases down your son. By the way, I feel the same way about my daughter's future suitors. Scum. All of them.

Finally, the feeling you had when you realized you only had six more days to go, that's anticipatory Disneyfreude. It really only effects the most well informed, Dismembers of any traveling party. The rest of the family is just along for the ride; they have no idea how much time you've spent planning. I've found the best way to combat anticipatory Disneyfreude is to focus on all of the hypercool things still do to. And to secretly be planning your Next Disney Vacation in your head.
I love that phrase! Anticipatory Disneyfreude. Is there medication for it?

By the way, your little sweetie sounds like she is gonna be raised right. And we're doin our best to make sure our little man learns how to treat his future bride. So maybe if we're still DISin' when your daughter and my son reach 35 and are allowed to date, we can arrange a Legacy Dismeet.

NicoleMarie

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-10-2006, 05:09 PM   #78
littleteapot
Privileged to be learning from the DIS-masters

Great report, so much good information. Am I the only newbie that gets distracted by all the DIS acronyms? I'll know I've finally "made it" when I don't have to bring up a separate window with the DIS list.

Thanks so much for spending so much time on your report!

Wow Disneyland was Fantastic November 2005, Loved the World November 2006, Back to the Land January 2008, 10 days of fun December 2008, 7 days weren't quite enough December 2009, Mom and Daughter trip to Disneyland July 2012
Old 04-12-2006, 08:55 AM   #79
paslea_pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot
Great report, so much good information. Am I the only newbie that gets distracted by all the DIS acronyms? I'll know I've finally "made it" when I don't have to bring up a separate window with the DIS list.

Thanks so much for spending so much time on your report!
It won't take long lil'teapot, you'll get the hang of it . The odd thing is, when you speak DIS talk in real life... now that's weird

NicoleMarie....

Love that last installment. Sorry you had to wait an extra hour for Spectro... AND what was the matter with that CM, giving you an old times guide!! He should have to ride IASW at least 10 times in a row as punishment . I always feel the same way at the end of Wishes...I love my husband, my girls, my life and God has been very good to me. It makes me teary thinking about it.

I'm off to look up Live365. Thanks for the tip.

littleteapot CM - Cast Member
IASW - It's a Small World
(I thought I'd save you having to pop open the other window)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #80
Grammyof2
Best Woo Hootier that ever woo hootied
Prom Queen
I am MENSA

Location: Heading to midlife wearing my Levi's and flip flops

We need more tips. Where are you? Let's give you one of those shameless bumps.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:33 PM   #81
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Hi Grammy!

I am actually working on the next day right now! My little ones have had Easter Egg hunts, ball games, b'day parties....we are definitely back to normal around here! But I don't want to lose my "magic" - so I'm hoping to post tomorrow. You are sweet to ask! Have a great night!

NicoleMarie

Old 04-15-2006, 04:32 PM   #82
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Wednesday 3/29 - Day 5, MGM

It is now Wednesday Ė Day 5 of the 8 day Disney vacation. The Anticipatory Disneyfreude (thanks Zzub!) is settling in hard and heavy. Why does spellcheck not recognize that word? Surely that is a common condition. You know, getting depressed about the end of your vacation when you still have some good vacation time left? But I am really excited because today is MGM. And me and my thrillseekiní, dare devil of a daughter are ridiní Rock ní Roller Coaster. Oh yeah, baby! Sadly for RnR, and unbeknownst to me, this ride has only one more day to remain my favorite. But letís give it itís final day of glory, and press on to MGM.

I have a confession to make here. And Iím not even Catholic. Before the DIS, I only liked Magic Kingdom. Yep, itís true. I had the mentality of my three year old and thought it was the only park worth spending more than a half day. I thought Animal Kingdom was, well, to ďanimalyĒ, I thought Epcot was too boring, and I thought MGM was corny. Now, some of that is still true. Magic Kingdom will always be my favorite. But the passion for all things Disney found here on the DIS, and the saying ďfolks are usually down on what they arenít up onĒ holds true for me. After experiencing some of the shows, restaurants and attractions I never knew were at MGM, I like it a lot more.

So, in keeping with the first and foremost Law of TGM, we are leaving the YC in plenty of time to get to MGM before park opening. There is no bus service from the resort, but a convenient boat ride will get us there in plenty of time. Or maybe not. The boat left a few minutes ago and another wonít return for at least ten long minutes. Because we obviously havenít learned from our miserable experience at Ft. Wilderness Ė where we let two boats get away because we were impatient and incorrectly assumed there was a quicker option Ė I reason that we can WALK to MGM faster than we can get there by boat. ďI read it on the DIS. You can walk to MGM. Itís a longer walk than Epcot, but it is still not too far. By the time the boat gets here, then stops at all the stops before MGM, weíll be later than I want to be.Ē

Poor DH. He trusts me implicitly. He knows I have spent months researching everything about this trip. He puts our son on his shoulders, tells our sweet daughter to get her walking legs ready, and weíre off. We arenít really sure where we are going, so we just follow the water and the signs. In true commando fashion, DH sends me up ahead to stake out our place in line, and he and the kids can bring up the rear. We start walking. I break out ahead. It canít be too far. Soon I turn around and my little family is out of site. I buzz DH on the walkie-talkie phones to see how he and the kids are holding up. He says they are doing great, but DS is getting a little heavy and can I see MGM yet? No, I can not, but it canít be far. I press on. I keep looking over my shoulder to make sure I am still ahead of the boat. What a downright tragedy if all this is for naught Ė if the boat comes creeping up beside me and takes the lead. And DH realizes I have inflicted this pain on my family unnecessarily. Whew! No boat in sight. This WAS a much better plan. Boy, it is a good thing I DIS! I walk along with a spring in my step at how smart we are to have walked instead of waiting on the boat.

Long story short, the boat (think of that old classic The Tortoise and the Hare, without the rest for the Hare) beats us to MGM Ė carrying fresh and happy passengers. We arrive at MGM exhausted, irritable and whiny. And we still have 45 minutes until the park opens. Good thing my family has me.

Well, we may have lost that little battle, but we will NOT lose the war.

DH: ďWhen we get in, I want you and DS to get the stroller, quickly go to RnR and obtain two FP. Then just as quickly, walk to Tower of Terror for two more. DD and I will go to RnR and ride stand by, then get a child swap and you can ride it next.Ē

Me: ďSIR, YES SIR!!!Ē

So the park opens and we execute the plan to perfection Ė except that when DH asks for a Rider Swap pass, he finds out we have to actually SHOW our three year old to the CM at the FP entrance. Inconvenient, yes, impossible, no. If you remember our commando strategy, me and my little man were heading to RnR anyway, just not at breakneck speed like Daddy and big sis. A little aside - this ďpresenting the childĒ policy would never go over at Magic Kingdom. Why, you ask? Because three year olds actually have other things to do Ė besides wait on their big sister to ride the cool rides. You couldnít expect a three year old to be presented at the entrance to Space Mountain because they would be riding Peter Pan, or Winnie the Pooh, or Buzz Lightyear, or any of the other many attractions that do not have a height requirement. But since MGM is truly void of any fun rides for little kids, they can enforce this ridiculous policy. Aside over. No itís not. I have another beef.

I really do like MGM for me and my honey and daughter. But I find it a little lame for the younger set. My son loves Playhouse Disney, but is it just me or is it time for a little update to the live show. Come ON people!! Disney is the biggest tourist destination in the world! Canít you afford to make a couple of Little Einstein costumes and add that crowd to the live show? Canít you have a character meal with some characters that appeal to the guys? Why do you have a HUGE Little Einsteins billboard, but no Little Einsteins characters? Bear in the Big Blue House is PLAYED OUT!! Played out, I say. The marketing machine that is Disney is really missing the boat here. Come to think of it, no it isnít. Actually, itís Disney at its finest. Sure, I am bothered by this lack of update, but what did I do about it? I bought an AP, three 8 day parkhoppers, a deluxe resort room for seven nights and ate lots of mediocre meals at not-so-mediocre prices. The jokeís on me. And all of you, too.

But my turn finally rolls around for RnR, and I am big-time fired up! I love this ride! I love the 0 to 60 take-off, the loud music, the spirals, but most of all Ė the sweet, happy, squeal coming from the little girl next to me. My daughter LOVES this ride! She is having so much fun and so am I. My poor son may be patiently waiting for our return in yet another gift shop, but right now, I am having the time of my life sharing this moment with my daughter.

After riding RnR and Tower of Terror (which DD also liked once the actual ride started), we meet back up with DH and DS for lunch at Sci-Fi. We really enjoyed this experience. Call us corny, but the whole atmosphere was really cool. The kids loved sitting in the car, and although our food was nothing too special, it was good. You know, DH and I are pretty financially disciplined in the REAL world, but we somehow fall apart at the seams at Disney. So the kids left Sci-Fi with the souvenir glow-in-the-dark cups and the blinking fake ice cubes Ė making the meal an even more memorable occasion for them.

After lunch we used our FPís for a couple of whirls on RnR and TOT, and went back to the YC for a swim and rest.

We returned in plenty of time to catch the Stars and Motor Cars Parade. It is one of the few MGM attractions that was an extreme source of joy for my son. He loves all the Star Wars characters, Buzz and Woody, and the Power Rangers. So he was pumped for this parade. We all enjoyed it. Another great tid-bit by the DIS. By the way, does anyone else think the Power Rangers are hilarious? I just have to laugh at the constant posing. They have to have face masks so we canít see them cracking up at each other.

The parade was over and it was time for our seating at Hollywood & Vine. The poor manís Fantasmic Dinner package option. Lowest on the totem pole. This was probably the pinnacle of buffet mediocrity. In fact, here is a comparison. We have a little restaurant here in my town called S&S Cafeteria. Itís a great place to get the meat and three veggies kind of food, but it isnít gourmet dining - itís a cafeteria, for goodness sake. My kids can get a childís plate for 99 cents Ė yes, I said 99 cents. Thatís chicken fingers, two veggie sides of their choice, jello, bread and a drink. Itís a great bargain. DH and I really feel like we are beating the system when we dine here. Our whole ticket is usually less than $10. Add some Mickey Mouse paper cups, a ticket in the back gate to Fantasmic, and about $60 and you have the Hollywood & Vine. Enough said.

After dinner, we had some time for a few more rides, the Muppet 3D show and some shopping before Fantasmic. Then we made it over to the entrance at Oscarís and got our seats toward the middle of the reserved section. The kids had never seen Fantasmic because this was the first year we thought they were ready for it. Although some of the parts scared my daughter a little, for the most part she liked it and it was a great ending to our day. We left MGM with the masses, and although we contemplated walking back to YC (NOT!), we caught the boat and ended our day with a peaceful and scenic trip to the resort.

Next Up: DAY 6 - Animal Kingdom, finally figuring out the best way to get to the parks early, and replacing RnR with my new favorite ride

What I Learned From the DIS:

1. That we could walk to MGM from the YC Ė not the easy walk I thought, but it can be done.
2. That there is a Fantasmic Dinner package that gets you a back entrance ticket to Fantasmic. However, even though Hollywood & Vine is the most economical option, you might want to splurge for a better meal.
3. That the characters in the Stars and Motor Cars parade are right up my sonís alley. He enjoyed that parade very much.
4. That there are talks for some sort of character meal that appeals to boys at MGM, but no luck yet.

NicoleMarie

Old 04-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #83
nataliz
DIS Veteran

Great report!

I enjoy the "What I Learned" tips at the bottom.

Can't wait until the next install!
Old 04-16-2006, 03:17 PM   #84
frankenpooh
Mouseketeer

We were also in AK that Thursday. I am trying to write up that day for my TR, but I'm having a hard time for some reason. Can I just cut and paste yours when you're done?

I run so I can go to WDW every January WDW Half Marathon 2007, 2009, 2010; WDW Full Marathon 2008; Next Family Trip: August 2009 at BWI

Old 04-17-2006, 03:03 PM   #85
colby&connorsmom
Earning My Ears

nicolemarie

Enjoying your trip report. Being from Georgia myself I have to say I got a kick out of the "redneck and proud of it" comment. My family and I are friends with Jeff Foxworthy and his family. He jokes with my father that he is the inspiration for a lot of his "You might be a redneck" jokes. LOL
Tech Rules!!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #86
paslea_pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemarie
The poor manís Fantasmic Dinner package option. Lowest on the totem pole. This was probably the pinnacle of buffet mediocrity. In fact, here is a comparison. We have a little restaurant here in my town called S&S Cafeteria. Itís a great place to get the meat and three veggies kind of food, but it isnít gourmet dining - itís a cafeteria, for goodness sake. My kids can get a childís plate for 99 cents Ė yes, I said 99 cents. Thatís chicken fingers, two veggie sides of their choice, jello, bread and a drink. Itís a great bargain. DH and I really feel like we are beating the system when we dine here. Our whole ticket is usually less than $10. Add some Mickey Mouse paper cups, a ticket in the back gate to Fantasmic, and about $60 and you have the Hollywood & Vine. Enough said.

Hollywood and Vine was good for our family, only b/c we have 4 kids and they all like different things. DH and I weren't terribly pleased with it. But as far as economical...Could you imagine paying that at your S&S Cafeteria? If we EVER do the fantasmic package again...we're doing Brown and Derby.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #87
fizz13
Dreams about being stuck on Space Mountain

Well I just can't imagine what your new favourite ride might be , can't wait to read the next report,
Claire xx

DISNEYLAND Anaheim 2005 WALT DISNEY WORLD dec91,jan02,jan05:mystic dunes aug06: polynesian, oct06:coronado springs,
aug07: pofq, dec07:allstarmovies-wilderness lodge, aug09: popcenturydec10: mystic dunes
DLRP-1998 Paris2000 Santa Fe2003 Val d'europe 2012 Cheyenne2013 sequoia lodge
Old 04-19-2006, 02:44 PM   #88
savs
Mouseketeer

I'm really enjoying your trip reports and I can't wait to read the rest.

Now what could that secret be........just one little clue
Old 04-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #89
AmyBennett
Mouseketeer

frankenpooh and nicolemarie---we also were in AK on that Thr. I think a lot of people must have used TGM and the UG because there were more people than there I thought!

I'm loving your report! I too am a stay-at-home-mom/obessivediser....and our trip is over.(Now I'm obsessing about finishing my TR in a million words or less)

What could we call ourselves? I know what my hubby likes to call me, but that wouldn't be apropriate for a family board!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #90
a*lil*bit*goofy
If only I had a brain! :O/
Oh wow now i am even more excited for the odd nights

i am with savs...we need to know the secret, u can't leave us all hanging like this!! (awesome trip report, i might add)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: