Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 05:19 PM   #31
FSUMARCHIEF
Adjust your cargo deary
Not quite the wooo hooty, but I always follow through on a challenge!
Cross my heart. I swear!

Location: Over here. Well, over here. Aw heck, you'll see me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaAristocat
nicolemarie -
Nice start to the report - I love seeing the highlighted tips that helped you!

Where ya from, huh? huh? Central Georgia, Western Georgia, Eastern Georgia, where? I freely admit that I try to identify those others who might be out there and live close by - I'm compiling a list. When we reach 100 (I'm up to 5 including myself) - then I'm going to start a thread on the community board like the Chicago-ites have.

Nicolemarie, Inquiring minds wanna know. We keep finding all these middle GA folk - we're going to hafta have a DIS meet! Great report!

Blessings!
Mark
Old 04-04-2006, 05:40 PM   #32
Yzma and Kronk
I survived the Pie-fest
I broke my spleen and yaked up a lung.....and I was driving!
Not done the "other" thing yet...

nicolemarie - great report!

OMG we are so similar! My DH is a major anal-retentive type guy! We have so many types of wipes around, I should buy stock! I too have a DD and DS, and am a stay at home DISer.....I've heard the same things from my DH about staying home.
Definately have to "git sich-e-ated" when arriving at a hotel.
And we used to live in Georgia - north of Atlanta - LOVED it there!

Looking forward to the next installment.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2006, 05:46 PM   #33
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Mark, Mark, Mark...don't you remember me? We PM'd a while back when you invited me to your church because we both live in that great armpit of the South - Macon.

So I am a Maconite - and I now I'm a passholder, too. So maybe we can join the Whirlwind Trippers sometime!!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #34
tink38
I have gas. again.
You're SCARED To see the eyes glow blue

NicoleMarie - great trip report! Looking forward to more!
Old 04-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #35
hfrink13
Mouseketeer

NicoleMarie, I am really enjoying your trip report. I can't wait to read more. I really like how you tell what you learned on the Dis at the end of your day. I am going in May and I am taking in so much information. I am going to have to go to Walmart also to get a three ring binder for all the info. Thanks again can't wait for more.

2005-off site-Orange Lake Resorts
5/28-6/3/2006-WL

- Chef Mickey's May 2005
Old 04-04-2006, 06:41 PM   #36
MOMOFMNM
DIS Veteran

now whos feeling like the left out nerd???

just remember: I was on long ago...before all these cool people started showing up here...so you have to pledge you allegiance to me...don't go gettin' all cool on me....remember the little people!!!

I do love your TR and fwiw...5 hr from WDW????????? You'd be insane NOT to get an ap!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 07:39 PM   #37
FSUMARCHIEF
Adjust your cargo deary
Not quite the wooo hooty, but I always follow through on a challenge!
Cross my heart. I swear!

Location: Over here. Well, over here. Aw heck, you'll see me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemarie
Mark, Mark, Mark...don't you remember me? We PM'd a while back when you invited me to your church because we both live in that great armpit of the South - Macon.

So I am a Maconite - and I now I'm a passholder, too. So maybe we can join the Whirlwind Trippers sometime!!

Oh yeah - DUH! Sorry - been putting up to many swingsets lately! I'd be all over the trip. I wanna go sooo bad! hot snot and all - Disney rocks - so does your trip report!

Blessings!
Mark
Old 04-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #38
javamom
Rumored Avatar Fairy
Wooo hoooty it's been fun!

Location: Probably pouring over a park map, planning someone else's trip for them!

*chuckles at self*

Disney geek inventory (mine):

Excel spreadsheet detailing all information and confirmation numbers

including flight, hotel, ADRS, cancelled ADR numbers (yes I have one already), park tickets

tour guide Mike AVP info... endless

Another spreadsheet to run dining options through for ADRS not yet made (June will be here quicker than I know)

Timeline notations for buying MVMCP tickets, and CP at Epcot.

Checklist of ADRs requiring pre-payment

Notes of all "Dis stuff" like Alien Green paint samples, ribbon in case we decide to rent a stroller

Honorary membership in the DMVC, gotta have my java afterall

Oh and my handy Passporter to put it all in.

Only trouble is the closer it comes, the more I question whether I should chuck the dining plan and get one AP, the discounts, and regular park hoppers for the family... so we can come again... next year because we have an AP afterall... and I just might happen to show DH the VWL while we are there and he will just really love it and want to buy into DVC. Yep that AP is looking better all the time...

Last edited by javamom; 04-04-2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Because it's addicting
Old 04-04-2006, 11:17 PM   #39
krismom
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Awesome report.... keep on typin' !
Old 04-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #40
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

We were there at the same time. Got home last night. It's always fun to read someone else's perspective. Didn't even consider swimming until mid-week. Typhoon was warm(ish) but Blizzard was just that (brrrr). I hate cold pool water!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 06:55 AM   #41
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMOFMNM
now whos feeling like the left out nerd???

just remember: I was on long ago...before all these cool people started showing up here...so you have to pledge you allegiance to me...don't go gettin' all cool on me....remember the little people!!!

I do love your TR and fwiw...5 hr from WDW????????? You'd be insane NOT to get an ap!!!

OK, here's the deal. It is truly impossible for ANYONE that sits on the computer all day and talks Disney with a bunch of stranger/friends to be cool. We are ALL just a bunch of nerds...and I'm enjoying your TR by the way.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:31 AM   #42
kpk89
I know that you know that I kn...well, you get the pic
What is a po-tro-ast?
mumbling and looking at floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamom
*chuckles at self*

Disney geek inventory (mine):

Excel spreadsheet detailing all information and confirmation numbers

including flight, hotel, ADRS, cancelled ADR numbers (yes I have one already), park tickets

tour guide Mike AVP info... endless

Another spreadsheet to run dining options through for ADRS not yet made (June will be here quicker than I know)

Timeline notations for buying MVMCP tickets, and CP at Epcot.

Checklist of ADRs requiring pre-payment

Notes of all "Dis stuff" like Alien Green paint samples, ribbon in case we decide to rent a stroller

Honorary membership in the DMVC, gotta have my java afterall

Oh and my handy Passporter to put it all in.

Only trouble is the closer it comes, the more I question whether I should chuck the dining plan and get one AP, the discounts, and regular park hoppers for the family... so we can come again... next year because we have an AP afterall... and I just might happen to show DH the VWL while we are there and he will just really love it and want to buy into DVC. Yep that AP is looking better all the time...
I'm with you and the rest of the Dis geeks. I have a Passporter, and lovelovelove the book, but as an organizer I have found that my homemade thingie works better. It's plain old black pocket folder, and I put a couple of sheet protectors for "permanent" info like the list of walkin clinics, the important phone numbers like Disney Dining, etc. There's a pouch thingie I added that holds the passes (current and leftovers, marked with how many days left) my cool lanyard I got from AllEarsnet, bla bla bla. In the pockets got the excel spreadsheet of our itinerary, and all the confirmation sheets. The best part is that the whole outside of the folder is covered in Disney stickers. Thanks DVC reps for all the stickers!

And -- javamom -- did you know, if you buy DVC you'll get a hundred bucks off your AP? Tell your dh -- it's a bargain you can't refuse!

Hey nicolemarie, I like your report. It will be fun to see what comes next!
Old 04-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #43
nicolemarie
DIS Veteran

Day Two - 3/26: The Surrey Bike and Hoop Dee Doo

This day, DH and I begin what will become the morning ritual for the rest of the week. One of us makes Zzub’s beloved “coffee walk” with our refillable mugs, and we sit out on the balcony and watch the World wake up. It is a treasured time. This particular morning we have nothing but the 5:00 Hoop Dee Doo on the agenda. I tried for several weeks before our trip to get the 7:15 show, but NO SOUP FOR YOU! Or fried chicken and ribs either, unless you come at 5:00. So I booked this day and decided we’d not do a park, but putter around the Boardwalk, swim a little bit, and then head to the Hoop Dee Doo.

As we sip our coffee, I notice there are lots of runners out for a run around the Boardwalk/Epcot area this morning. Show offs. Who RUNS at Disney? Isn’t traipsing around the parks all day with a backpack and two kids enough exercise? Come on…relax! You are on vacation!! But the running bug bit me a few years ago and I actually enjoy it – as much as you can enjoy exercise. So I comment to DH:

Me: “Maybe I should go for a run before the kids get up. We don’t have a busy day and it would be a great way to start my Festival of Poor Eating.”
DH: “Nah. Just enjoy the morning. You’ll get enough exercise this week and you don’t want to start off tired.”
Me: “Yeah, you’re right. What was I thinking anyway?”

This conversation will have significance later.

So the kids finally wake up, they watch a little Toon Disney while we get showers, and we decide to head over to the Boardwalk and rent a Surrey Bike for a little recreation before lunch.

We’ve spent enough time around the Epcot area during the previous 24 hours to know that lots of families seem to be enjoying the Surrey Bikes. I’m not sure why I capitalize Surrey Bike. We’ve even rented one before on a vacation last summer. At a resort that was all flat. So we walk to the bike counter and request the one bench/one basket bike. We confirm that tall DD7 is not too big for the basket, and wait for a family to return with our bike of choice. The kids hop in front, DH and I in the back, and we get our instructions. “Only pedal forward. If you go backward the chain will come off. (Why is this?) Stay within the immediate circle of the Boardwalk/Yacht/Beach club and do not take the path to Epcot or the Swan/Dophin area. Go only one-way in this direction (starting to the right). There are two small hills, but just pedal slowly and you’ll be fine. Enjoy your trip!”

In honor of Zzub, we ring the bell and we’re off. I laugh heartily inside as I remember his description of the Surrey Bike experience. We pedal happily along, having some good ‘ole American fun. I set the timer on my watch so we don’t exceed our 30 minute rental time, and we breeze down the Boardwalk. “This is fun!” the kids exclaim. Yes, my dears, it is. Until the hill over the bridge to the YCBC. It is quite steep. DH says, “Well, you did want to run this morning. Think of it as a mini-workout.” Is it possible that my legs are burning already? I’m no marathoner, but I am in pretty decent shape. And this is miserable. We reach the top and coast down, rather quickly because DH won’t use the brake, DD loudly ringing the bell all the way. However, the bell must actually be silent because no one moves out of the way. And we are going fast. This really isn’t so much fun after all. After a few nasty looks as moms pull their sweeties out of the way of our speed bike, we coast back down to a normal speed and head through the Stormalong Bay area. Passing the Beach Club. Passing the Yacht Club. Did I say the hill going from BW to BC was steep? Well, not hardly – compared to the one from the YC back over to the BW. By this time I’m getting a little miffed. And we’ve only been on the bike seven minutes. DH is a CPA by profession, and you’ve probably heard about how they are with the money. Although, I have to give him a little credit. Like I said in the original post, he likes a good vacation. And he isn’t a cheapskate when it comes to me and the kids. But, by golly, we are going to get our FULL THIRTY minutes from this rental. So we have time for this spectacle two more times. And by the end of the third, I am LIVID and can’t move my legs.

The CM takes a family picture so we’ll never forget this most happy moment, and I limp down the Boardwalk for lunch at ESPN Club. It’s decent – nothing to write home about – and we go back to the room to change for a swim. We have promised the kids they could swim today, since yesterday was a bust and they were really looking forward to it. Unless it is absolutely unavoidable, I never break a promise to my kids. It’s really not warm enough to swim, so DH and I get in the hot tub that faces the big sandy area. The kids play in the sand with a CM who gets paid to play in the sand with kids. Not a bad gig for him, I guess.

When we can’t take it any more, we go back to the room, take a little rest, and hop the bus for MK. Where we will then catch a boat to Ft. Wilderness for the Hoop Dee Doo. Now I have never been to Ft. Wilderness. In fact, until the DIS, I didn’t even know there was a Ft. Wilderness. And upon arrival, I am very impressed. It is a clean, rustic area with a cool playground that the kids love. Since we have made 5:00 by the skin of our teeth, we bypass the playground and move quickly to Pioneer Hall, promising the kids we’ll play there after the show. Remember what I said about promises to my sweeties?

Once again, I am not led astray by the DIS, and the Hoop Dee Doo is a really cute, good time. Sixbits, or whatever his name was, is really funny and it kind of reminds me of the old Hee Haws I used to watch with my grandparents. If you don’t know what Hee Haw is, I suggest a Google search. The fried chicken and ribs were good, strawberry shortcake even better, and the show held the attention of DD and DS for the whole 2 hours. But here is my complaint. Where is the SWEET TEA? For the love of all that is good in the world, this kind of meal REQUIRES sweet tea!! Not the kind I sweeten myself with a pack of Splenda.

The show is over, and my DIS research has informed me of the cute little campfire/movie time with Chip and Dale over in the campground. “What a great idea!” I say as I am planning itineraries. Since we will finish the HDD about 7:00 and the campfire sing-a-long starts then, we can mosey that way. Well, not really mosey – we have to take a bus because it’s way back in the campground. We’ll roast a few marshmallows, take some pictures and be back at the YC for a good night’s sleep before our first park day.

Since this is my trip report, I am entitled to voice my opinion. The campfire was not “all that”. I will admit, we are not campers. My son will, and has already, shared many happy father/son moments with his Dad. But camping will probably never be one of them. Now my family, we camped. We took a camper up to the mountains of North Carolina every year in the fall and had a great time. Went with several other families, hiked, picnicked, roasted marshmallows – good times. Back then. Not such good times now. The kids were cold. Instead of a big, roaring fire in the middle of the area, there was a little pit off to the side where you could roast your $3 bag of marshmallows. No, you didn’t get the whole bag. The whole bag that is about $1.50 in the grocery store. You got a zip-lock bag of marshmallows and a stick for $3. The lady strumming the guitar and singing Disney tunes, with no participation from the audience even though this is a “sing-a-long”, was mediocre at best. My first experience with sub-par Disney music. So we bailed pretty quickly. And waited. And waited. And waited for a bus back to Pioneer Hall. There was no walking as we were too far away.

Since I had promised the kids a visit to the playground, we told them they could play until we saw the boat coming to the dock. It took just a few minutes, and in the darkness we could see the lights of the boat that would take us back to the MK. Unbeknownst to us, there was a large line waiting for this boat and we would not get on. It is still very cold, and we wait 20 LOOONG minutes before we see the Lights of Rescue coming for us again. But alas, they are going to the other side of the dock to go to the Contemporary. We bail from our great spot in line and reason that from the Contemporary, we will walk the short walk to the bus area, and be on our way to the YC. We do not get this boat either, even though the line did not appear too long. So now we have lost our place in line, missed two boats and tensions are running high. The antics performed by our kids that were funny just a few short moments ago are now annoying. DH is now thinking maybe I am not such the Disney genius, and things are going downhill fast. Did I mention it was COLD? Eventually we get a boat back to the MK, hop the bus to the YC, and have warmed up from a hot shower before bed. Despite a couple of snafus, this has still been a great day and we are looking forward to our day at Epcot tomorrow.

Next Up – Day Three. Epcot, swimming, and more Epcot

What I learned from the DIS:

1. That the Hoop Dee Doo and Ft. Wilderness even existed. I had never heard of either, and truly enjoyed both.
2. That it’s OK to back off from the commando mentality, and have days like this one. We will definitely work these in to every trip.
3. That there is a campfire/free movie/sing-a-long at the Ft. Wilderness campground every night. It was not really our thing, but it is still a great concept.
4. That Surrey Bikes are available for rent at the Boardwalk. And Port Orleans according to Zzub. What I didn’t learn was how tiring it would be.

Last edited by nicolemarie; 04-05-2006 at 09:30 AM. Reason: correct a typo - shouldn't I proof before posting?
Old 04-05-2006, 11:25 AM   #44
kaceyisme
Just passing the time until my next trip

I'm really enjoying your report!

9/23/2015 Adventures by Disney - Peru: Machu Picchu, Lima, Sacred Valley and Cusco
Old 04-05-2006, 11:35 AM   #45
J and R's mom
DIS Veteran

Great report! Glad the Maelstromers sent me this way (and ZZUB or was it ZZUBTON).

Anyway, the teaser...you know the one...the "tip" the monorail CM gave you... it's killing me.

I like that you list the tips that you learned from the DIS. I considered myself a veteran WDW tourer until I found the DIS. It amazes me how much I learn every day from reading this board.

Looking forward to the rest!

Places we've stayed (17 trips and counting): DTD Villas(1984); CR(1991); GF(2000); WL/VWL(2001, 2002, 2009); BCV(2005, 2011, 2012); BWV(2006--3x, 2007); BLT(2010); AKV(2013--2x), MARRIED and HONEYMOONED at the BWI (1999)
Husband and Wife Get-A-Way (2006) Read about it and see PICTURES of it HERE

Last edited by J and R's mom; 04-05-2006 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Secrets from monorail CMs should be shared :-) Feel free to PM me if you need to get the secret off your chest :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: