Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2001, 11:00 AM   #1
Eeyore2U
I'm the one you talk about. I rain on parades and don't want others to be happy. Life isn't all PD!!

Thumbs down Pop Century

I hope this qualifies as Rumors/News. We were driving back from the All Star Sports Cafe last week. We saw the new Pop Century Resorts. They are IMHO disgusting. It is the worst design/theme I have ever seen. They are next to CBR and if it is such a drastic difference it's sad.

<font color=red>Please read the DIS Guidelines : No more than 8 lines of text, 2 countdowns, 35k total bytes, and no bigger than 400x400 graphic area. Click on link for full details ~ The DIS Moderators</font>
Eeyore2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 01:29 PM   #2
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

You mean their is something Uglier then a 50 foot high guitar?

I think we should all hope and pray that the delayed construction is left delayed forever and that eventually the themeing is redone.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2001, 01:42 PM   #3
toefungus
DIS Veteran

I think that the theme is ok, but the purple is just.....yuck! I hope that it will look better up close.
toefungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 01:43 PM   #4
Eeyore2U
I'm the one you talk about. I rain on parades and don't want others to be happy. Life isn't all PD!!

There are phrases all over the buildings in LARGE letters. There were a couple of HUGE yoyos that were gross. If someone like that moved into my neighborhood I think I'd ry to round up the neighbors in protest. Like they did in Arkansas with the Osborne lights!

<font color=red>Please read the DIS Guidelines : No more than 8 lines of text, 2 countdowns, 35k total bytes, and no bigger than 400x400 graphic area. Click on link for full details ~ The DIS Moderators</font>
Old 10-10-2001, 02:25 PM   #5
All Aboard
Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas

I completely agree.

Personally, I love the All Stars (if that gives some perspective.) I think the hyperbolic icons at the AS's are quite cool and well done. (especially Movies)

However, each time I drive past Pop Century, I too get nauseous. The buildings are just plain awful looking. So far, I am very disappointed with Pop Century.
All Aboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 02:46 PM   #6
d-r
l|ll|||ll||ll||

<h1>Platform Shoes!</h1><p>
<strong><blink>GROOVY!</blink></strong>
Old 10-10-2001, 03:12 PM   #7
JeffJewell
DIS Veteran

gcurling...

Quote:
Personally, I love the All Stars... (snip) ...However, each time I drive past Pop Century, I too get nauseous
...I'm curious, would you go into more detail about the differences you see between the broad iconic theming of PC versus the broad iconic theming of the AS?

It probably comes as no surprise to anyone that I don't think either of these resorts is themed particularly well. Specifically, I feel there is a clear difference between, say, Port Orleans (where the buildings and landscaping are intended to take your imagination to some other place, some other time), and the Values (where I see no attempt to take anyone anywhere).

The Values appear to rely on simple recognition to inspire a memory (hey, there's Pongo! Wow, I remember that movie), whereas the other resorts can actually give you the feeling of being somewhere other than Florida, somewhere of which you had no previous experience.

Personally, I find it difficult to even describe the Values as being "themed," rather, it seems to me they are "decorated," which I consider a vastly inferior concept. There's a pizza place near here with Disney characters painted all over it (in flagrant disregard for most or all of our copyright laws, I'm quite certain) that could be described as being "themed" even better than ASM, if not on nearly as grand a scale.

Anyway, I was just curious if the different reactions to Pop Century and the All-Stars were a result of personal preference for one set of icons, or if I'm overlooking something when lumping the two resorts into the same "poorly themed" basket.

Jeff
JeffJewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 03:16 PM   #8
YoHo

What if instead of huge yoyos, they were huge.......YoHos. Then it wouldbe perfect. :D

www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
Old 10-10-2001, 03:34 PM   #9
JeffJewell
DIS Veteran

What about...

Quote:
they were huge.......YoHos
...if they were huge HoHos?

Jeff
JeffJewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 03:37 PM   #10
larworth
DIS Veteran

Why would Disney want to adorn their new motel with a giant replica's of this cream filled chocolate snack cake. Won't a twinkie be a much more recognizable icon.

Ohh, you said YoHo's and not HoHo's. Sorry.
larworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 03:43 PM   #11
Eeyore2U

I'm glad someone else went to the YoHo, HoHo remark. I think that a pink elephant is a more appropriate symbol.

Old 10-10-2001, 03:45 PM   #12
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Thumbs up The search for the perfect word!!

Quote:
Personally, I find it difficult to even describe the Values as being "themed," rather, it seems to me they are "decorated," which I consider a vastly inferior concept.
WOW!!!!! For years I've been searching for the right words to put this concept across. And for years the task eluded me. "Decorated" is the perfect description!! And a blind man can see that it is indeed 'inferior'.

Thank you and well done, Jeff!!! Well done indeed!!!

For the best "Disney Education" on the web go to: http://www.july171955.com/

Long live the Pirate!!
DVC-Landbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 05:25 PM   #13
All Aboard
Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas

Where to start. Ok, theming. What does it mean? Seems that Jeff has joined Landbaron in deciding that "theming" means taking you to a geographic location when it is applied to a WDW resort. I disagree. Instead, theming is the underlying element that everything about the resort is based upon. Until the All Stars were built, that was a geographic location (except of course for the Contemporary.) Now the All Stars have expanded the elements upon which theming is based. The theme of Pop Century will be the decades of the 20th Century. That's a theme. History is a theme, art could be a theme... literature, water, space, health, evil, religion... these could all be themes. Theming isn't limited to geography.

The Ramada Inn has no theme, the Holiday Inn has no theme. But the All Stars have themes. One has a sports theme, one has a music theme and one has a movies theme. The theme is carried from the buildings themselves to the lobby to the food courts to the gift shops to the pools to the play areas. It's theming, not decoration. It's a consistent subject matter upon which everything about the resort is based.

One might argue that the All Star Movies is the only Walt Disney World resort with "Disney" theming.

Now, about why I like the All Stars and not Pop Century. Simple matter of taste. I think PC is ugly. The buildings coming up right now are bright purple. Like another poster mentioned, the theming includes a bunch of giant words attached to the buildings. That's ugly. Buzz Lightyear is not ugly, Pongo is not ugly, surfboards are not ugly. In fact I think they are kind of cool. That's not what I see at Pop.

I can understand folks that think the All Stars are ugly. That's fine, opinions vary. But, don't be surprised if alot of folks who like the All Stars (like me) end up hating Pop. There's a big difference to me.
All Aboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 05:45 PM   #14
YoHo

gcurling, what if All Stars movies looked like Hollywood boulevard or the tower of Terror out of Disney studios instead of like a motel 6 with a giant dalmation?

I think what's needed here is a good illustration, but I can't think of one. All I can say is that a Disney resort based on movies should look the same as a Themepark based on movies. The DIsneyland Hotel is a resort Decorated to look like Disney. it looks thousands of times better then the allstars and still just looks like your typical hotel.

www.july171955.com

Old 10-10-2001, 06:14 PM   #15
Eeyore2U

I told my wife about the post. She said it doesn't have anything to do with theming. It has to do with a simple matter of taste. This is simply decorated/designed tackily. Her other comment was "do they think people paying less have less taste"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: