Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #601
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by weschmom View Post
OK...not to rain on anyone's parade, but we stayed at the ASMu family suites in January, and they are NOT that big. Reading about 5 and 6 people in them...wow....that sounds really crowded to us. Especially if most of those people are adults! It is nice to have the additional bathroom, but as far as living and sleeping space...just be aware, there is not much of it. And remember that you are staying at a value resort, so even though you are paying more for your room than most other people staying there, you are still subject to the same bus system, etc, which we found to have really long waits and frustrating in general. For us, never again.
I understand where you are coming from but for my family, the family suites seem like an ideal solution.

I travel with my two teenage sons - ages 20 and 15. They are getting too big for us to share a regular room. The DVC villas are out of my price range and the connecting rooms wouldn't give us the kitchenette.

I like the idea of having a separate room for me since I like to go bed earlier than they do. Plus the privacy will be great too!

I'm looking forward to staying in the Family Suites at ASMu.
1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR & MNSSHP - Homebased Travel Agent Forum, 12/2014 - All Star Sports & MVMCP

Angela

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
APB513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #602
mommahnina
Mouseketeer

Honestly it is wayyyy better for our family then the POR . Sure we are giving up the outside decor and things, but we are getting more room and the privacy. My 4 kids will be in a room to themselves and we will have the playpen so the suite is a heck of alot better then all 6 of us + a playpen in one room at POR. I simply can not wait!!! I am not there for the resort.. lol I am there to see the parks and eat LOL!
Lizzy - 12
Matt - 9
Lina - 7
Zach - 3

-Feb-2005- Pop Century
-Dec-2008- All Stars Music *Family Suites*
-Oct-2010- All Stars Music *Family Suites*
mommahnina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #603
Ashley Kees
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK...not to rain on anyone's parade, but we stayed at the ASMu family suites in January, and they are NOT that big. Reading about 5 and 6 people in them...wow....that sounds really crowded to us. Especially if most of those people are adults! It is nice to have the additional bathroom, but as far as living and sleeping space...just be aware, there is not much of it. And remember that you are staying at a value resort, so even though you are paying more for your room than most other people staying there, you are still subject to the same bus system, etc, which we found to have really long waits and frustrating in general. For us, never again.
I can imagine it would be a tight fit for a group with teenagers or a lot of adults, but three of my six are under 5, and we are planning on spending a LOT of time out of the room. In my personal circumstance, we have a family of five in a 2 bedroom apartment, so we are REALLY used to living together. If your kids all are used to separate rooms, it might be tight, too. Still, it's Disneyworld, and cramped at DW is still better than comfy at your boring old house, am I right?!
[COLOR="Purple"]2013 2013 Ft. Wilderness or Offsite
ME DH DB18 DD9 DD7 DS5 Muffin
Ashley Kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #604
APB513
Wishing I was back in my Laughing Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Kees View Post
Still, it's Disneyworld, and cramped at DW is still better than comfy at your boring old house, am I right?!
Amen to that, Sister
1970-1980 many trips to DL, 5/1986 (offsite - MK), 12/2001 (offsite & MVMCP), 12/2002 (DLR & Paradise Pier), 9/2006 (Pop & MNSSHP, Disney Magic, AKL ), 11/2007 (Pop & MNSSHP), 12/2007 (DTD & MVMCP), 8/2008 (Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, Pop & Windsor Hills), 5/2009 (Bday Solo Trip - POFQ), 12/2009 (Loew's Portofino Bay & Pop w/FD), 8/2011 (Pop w/FD, Disney Dream & Loew's Portofino Bay), 5/2012 Disney's Travel Agent EP, Bday & Mother's Day AND Kyle starts DCP! - CSR & Contemporary, 12/2012 All Star Sports and Loew's Hard Rock Hotel, 1/2013 DLR - Disney's Travel Agent EP - Paradise Pier and Disneyland Hotel, 10/2013 Loew's Royal Pacific Resort, ASMo, Pop and CSR & MNSSHP - Homebased Travel Agent Forum, 12/2014 - All Star Sports & MVMCP

Angela

Memberships: D23, Mickey Moms Club and WDW Commando Club (member #113)
APB513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #605
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Hi. Could you explain what you mean about not that big - they are the same size as two rooms at the resort. Did you mean in comparison to two rooms at another resort, or somewhere else?

Just curious - where do you normally stay? I'd like to understand your comparison. We are POFQ people, but with the two kids, we wanted some more relaxation space. This is at least half of a comparable one bedroom anywhere else on site, so it seems like a really good deal.

Regarding buses, I've heard it's bad everywhere, so a value resort isn't any better or worse than any other one from what I've seen and heard. It's all hit or miss.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #606
paper1225
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both-POR(2 times so far) and AllStar Music Family Suites. There is definately more room at the AS, and DH and I could escape from the kids which was great. For us though, I really love the POR look-so I cannot say one is better than the other! They are both great places to stay, but AS is much bigger! We are staying at POR in Feb again!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #607
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

Ok Disers.

My mom and I have a few questions. We will be down there 12-21 through 12-27. We are travelling with a 1 year old and will need to hit the nearest grocery store for diapers, wipes, and baby food; not to mention other things we adults will need for our stay. Where is the nearest grocery and how much will it cust to take a cab there? When we went to WDW 5 years ago, it was just 3 of us (all adults) and we stayed off property and we were across the street from a grocery store and were able to walk. So, this time, staying on property I know will be quite different in that aspect.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #608
AKADrea
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seanaci* View Post
Ok Disers.

My mom and I have a few questions. We will be down there 12-21 through 12-27. We are travelling with a 1 year old and will need to hit the nearest grocery store for diapers, wipes, and baby food; not to mention other things we adults will need for our stay. Where is the nearest grocery and how much will it cust to take a cab there? When we went to WDW 5 years ago, it was just 3 of us (all adults) and we stayed off property and we were across the street from a grocery store and were able to walk. So, this time, staying on property I know will be quite different in that aspect.

it's probably cheaper to have the items delivered to your resort than get a cab. Plus you won't waste precious vacation time shopping! I used www.wegoshop.com and had a great experience!

AKADrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #609
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Seanaci* View Post
Ok Disers.

I used www.gardengrocer.com and had good service from them. I've read on the dis that you can add adult beverages by putting them in the comments section of your order.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #610
rak5701
Earning My Ears

Place for 3 yr old to sleep??

We were hoping like a lot of others on here to put the ottoman in the MBR at night for our 3 year old to sleep on. Now that we know that the ottoman will not fit through the door...does anyone have any other suggestions?? I guess we could bring a sleeping bag for him to sleep in on the floor. Would a small twin Aerobed fit in the room if we moved the other furniture around. I need a quiet place for him to nap in the afternoon and go to bed at night. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!
rak5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #611
paper1225
DIS Veteran

Can't really remember, but I think the mattress may come out of the ottoman??
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #612
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

We didn't use the ottoman-in fact there wasn't one in the room for the first 5 or so nights.

I think a twin aero bed would be a tight fit-not a lot of furniture that moves in the bedroom. How about a youth size ready-bed? Its an airmatress with built in sleeping bag. I used one for one of our trips.

You could get bed rails from housekeeping for a daytime nap on the queen bed.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #613
nicko
Earning My Ears

Can't I just tilt the ottoman through the MBR door?

As a few other folks have asked, I'm wondering if I can get the ottoman into the master bedroom door.

An old review said that the ottoman won't fit through the master bedroom door opening. That seems true if you just try and slide it in. How about if you tilt it on it's side and then slide it in? It can't possibly be that big (or heavy) that it wouldn't fit through the door way, can it?

nick
nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #614
Ashley Kees
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko View Post
As a few other folks have asked, I'm wondering if I can get the ottoman into the master bedroom door.

An old review said that the ottoman won't fit through the master bedroom door opening. That seems true if you just try and slide it in. How about if you tilt it on it's side and then slide it in? It can't possibly be that big (or heavy) that it wouldn't fit through the door way, can it?

nick
I don't know, it's a hide-a-bed, and those suckers can get pretty heavy, and akward, even the small ones. I will be there in 6 days (YES!!), I'll give it a go and let ya'll know.
[COLOR="Purple"]2013 2013 Ft. Wilderness or Offsite
ME DH DB18 DD9 DD7 DS5 Muffin
Ashley Kees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 PM   #615
rak5701
Earning My Ears

Thanks Ashley Kees! I guess if it won't fit in the MBR then I will just buy my son a sleeping bag and put it in the MBR on the floor.
rak5701 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: