Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #271
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

Location: On a Lake in Southeast Michigan,Snowbird home Bonita Springs,Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUmom4kids View Post
Our first WDW family vacation was last year and we stayed at the Swan (1 room with a balcony) for 9 nights. WE LOVED IT and got a good rate. We would like a little more room to spread out if we go again this year for 7 nights and I thought about these family suites at the AllStar Music Resort.

I'm looking for someone who's stayed at both before. I know the beds at the Suites would NOT compare to the heavenly beds, but are the ASM suites' beds a problem? We have a tempurpedic at home and I can see my husband fussing if we get horrible beds at the ASM suites just to save $$. The swan location was fabulous, as were the pools.

I could get adjoining rooms at the Swan for $250 ($125 night rate) total and I don't know how much the ASM would be for the extra convenience of a kitchenette area.

Can anyone compare the two??? Should we just bring our ice chest and pop tarts again and get 2 rooms at the swan again this year?????

DH and stayed at the Dolpin the first night before cheching into All Star Music last September.

The QUEEN SIZE bed in the master bedroom is very comfotable ( not Heavenly but quite confortable.)

The real surprise was how comfortable the pull outs were.

I was amazed! No bars under the sleeper back! It is an amazing design.

I wanted to find who made them so I could get one for my guest room.

I looked and looked and even called Disney.

They are made exclusively for Disney .

See the photos on page 11 of this thread.

Have fun at Disney!

Last edited by minnie61650; 02-04-2007 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Answer to question dissapearred
minnie61650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #272
DKM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
We are booked into the ASMu Suites in March (12-17th ). I was wondering if there is an actual door (that can be closed) seperating the queen bedroom from the rest of the suite? We have a very active 18 month old with really good ears.

We have never paid this much for a hotel before. We are priceline users through and through but with this being our first trip with our toddler, we thought we would break the bank and go all out.

Also wondering if there is a toaster in the food court and if so, are we allowed to use it if we aren't buying anything from the food court?

I am really looking forward to this trip. The information on this thread is incredible. Thanks to all that post.
Yep, there is a door that closes and even locks I believe.
Also, I am a night owl and an early riser. It was really nice for me to be able to sit up read, watch tv, whatever while the kids slept.

I dont know about the toaster. We didnt need one, donuts, ceral, juice, rolls, and oatmeal was pretty much every breakfast for us. One thing I was pretty surprised with was the grill at the ASMU was pretty decent! Good Cheeseburgers anyhow.
DKM is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #273
WDW1st-timers
In Love with MetallicA
Would you like that in Canadian or American funds?

This might just push me to book here rather than POP.

WDW1st-timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #274
nflder
Just when I think I am out, they pull me back in
My name gives it away

minnie61650 - Question for you

From what I have read the rooms at ASMu (other than the Family Suites) are being renovated as well. We will be staying in the Calypso building during Easter - have those rooms been renovated yet? Also - do you notice the construction going on. It wouldn't be a big deal to me if you did but I am just curious.

TIA
Old 02-09-2007, 07:55 AM   #275
paper1225
DIS Veteran

When we were there in December, we did not notice any construction. That does not mean there wasn't any going on-we just did not hear or see any! We were staying in Calypso #10- GREAT LOCATION, right next to Melody hall which means easy access to buses, food, shopping, arcade and the pool was there too! You will love the location-have a gret time!
Old 02-20-2007, 05:59 PM   #276
Syndrome
Who's super now?

Thanks !!!!

I just wanted to say THANKS for this thread, and to Linda for all the info and pictures of the Family Suites, and everybody else who has contributed. It was a big help for us deciding where to stay during our *next* upcoming trip (Jan 2008). These suites look very good. Disney has finally done something to help out the "abnormal" familys of more than 4, like us !!! We go to Disney every year, and like to sample ALL that Disney has to offer.......resorts,dining and parks. We have stayed at WL,AKL,Poly and FW, besides off-site at Windsor Hills. This time we are trying to budget as best as possible, and we really have wanted to try out the All-Stars for a long time, but it has always been a bit difficult for our family of 5. We are nervous about the connecting room "guarantee" .............IS it or ISNT it guaranteed DISNEY !!!! Familys WANT/NEED TO KNOW!
These Family Suites seem like a GREAT value for the room........520 sf !!! Some of the deluxes can even get a bit cramped for a family of 5. The most comfortable room we have stayed at was a Jr.Suite at WL, but these Value Family suites are slightly larger than even the Jr. Suites at WL! Should be nice and roomy for us.

Anyway........just a little info I got from CRO when I booked.
CRO said that there were no discounts yet, because its too early, BUT she has seen some discounts on these rooms "once in a while" ........ I am not holding my breath for that, but I will keep calling to check.
If you are thinking of booking a Family Suite........DO IT NOW. Our trip is just short of a year out.......in the JAN. value season, and they couldnt give us our "exact" dates. They were already sold out for the beggining of JAN. 2008! The Suites are VERY POPULAR she said!(hence the reason for me NOT holding my breath waiting for a AAA,APH discount!) I have to call back to see if there are any cancellations to get the other days I need.........but I booked what they had for now. We will just stay somwhere else for the extra days if we have to.
Also I was quoted $179. a night for Jan. 2008. She said that the rate was current and wouldnt go up. SO I guess they have the 2008 rates, but havent published them yet, on the web-site???
We are also considering switching to connecting rooms, BUT ONLY if we can get a discount. If not we will be happy and comfortable in the Family Suite with our "abnormal" family of 5 !

Thanks for the GREAT thread and information/pictures!
Later...........Syndrome
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:28 AM   #277
dtum
DIS Veteran

Smile ASMu Suites

Is it possible to plug in the Play Station to the TV in the living room area? My kids like to relax in the middle of the day and play some video games out of the heat.

Fort Wilderness Camping - October 1983 (me, DH, DD), June 1993 (me, DH, DD, DS & friends), June 1997 (me, DH, DD, DS), May 2008 (DH and me)
Fort Wilderness Cabins - May 2004 (me, DH, DD, DS, SIL and GS)
Fort Wilderness Camping - June 2009 (me, DH) AND ASMo (SIL, DD, GS, DS)
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
Windsor Hills - DH and I - November 2014
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #278
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nflder View Post
From what I have read the rooms at ASMu (other than the Family Suites) are being renovated as well. We will be staying in the Calypso building during Easter - have those rooms been renovated yet? Also - do you notice the construction going on. It wouldn't be a big deal to me if you did but I am just curious.

TIA
The Calypso and Jazz builings are finishrd.

It was reported in January that the Broadway were undergoing refurbishment last month(january 2007)

I did not see when I was there in September.

There was a painter using a long handled paint roller doing sometouch on the railing but that was all I saw.

Have fun at Disney!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #279
SnoWhiteRabbit
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
If you are thinking of booking a Family Suite........DO IT NOW. Our trip is just short of a year out.......in the JAN. value season, and they couldnt give us our "exact" dates. They were already sold out for the beggining of JAN. 2008! The Suites are VERY POPULAR
SOld out for the beginning of January

Thanks for the heads up...I was planning on booking a family suite for the beginning of February...I'm going to do it right now, as per your advice!!

wish me luck...

Thanks!

Next Trip 8/14 So Much to Celebrate! ASMo * 12/10 Our Very Merry SuRpRiSe ChRiStMaS TRiP * 1/08 Grand Gathering POR - Papa's 70th & Blaise's 6th - Pirate & Princess Party! * 11/05 POR - Jersey Week - Food & Wine Festival * 12/04 POP & ASMo - MVMCP * 10/02 POFQ & ASMo - DD 4th Birthday & MNSSHP * 5/01 AKL & POR - Flower & Garden Festival * 5/00 ASMo - Flower & Garden Festival * Childhood trips... 7/83 Disneyland * 2/79 POL * 12/75 First Trip - age 6 (off site) Thanks Gramma for the best Christmas gift ever! I'll always remember the magic...*

SnoWhiteRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #280
coastermom
Proud Redhead
I am not crazy just like my job
This makes the decision much easier
ROLLERCOASTERS ARE MY LIFE

we are a family of 5 . We usually stay at the POR but were looking into BW . Too expensive but now that we seen this I was wondering is it worth it ?wonder if a 15,12 and 5 year old would be ok on the sleeper beds. Please let me know if anyone who has stayed there was really pleased with it or dissapointed.
coastermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 06:57 PM   #281
minnie61650

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastermom View Post
we are a family of 5 . We usually stay at the POR but were looking into BW . Too expensive but now that we seen this I was wondering is it worth it ?wonder if a 15,12 and 5 year old would be ok on the sleeper beds. Please let me know if anyone who has stayed there was really pleased with it or dissapointed.
I was very pleased with the fold outs. In fact I was so pleased with them that I tried to find who makes them so I could buy one for my spare room.

Turns out it made exclusly for Disney.

In fact the frame alone is made by one company (that company only sells wholesale in large bulk) and another comany finishes them.

I looked all over for somrthing simular with no luck!

----------------------

When I stated at the Suites in September of 2006,
I opened up the chair bed and it was very conformable to lay down on. The back of the chair actually rests on the floor supporting the chair bed when it is folded out into the bed. It is pretty amazing the way they designed the pull out furniture!

The frame of the bed is metal so when I went to get of the chair bed I did feel the metal bars at the edge of the bed. But there no metal bars under the sleepers back. Just some cusions which gives added support.

See how the chair seat and back of the chair have become the support for the bed.
* NOTE the privacy curtain in the back by the bathroom room sink area.

Here is another photo of the fold out chair bed.

--------------------------------------

Here are reviews of the Suites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packclogger
Just returned Friday from a week long stay in the family suites and they were great. My family and I (DH, DB, DSIL and DNep) stayed in them. We were in room 2650 which was on the 3rd floor of Jazz building #2. I would ditto many of the comments that whetstone had previously posted, especially the air conditioning. My DH likes the room on the cold side and I don't think the temperature ever got down to the temp we had it set at. The resort was pretty crowded during the time we were there (lots of tour groups), but our room was in a good location where we didn't have a lot of noise (DNep took naps each day). The pull out sofa and chair were pretty comfortable to sleep on, but the ottoman was not as comfortable. Mousekeeping was great and we even got some towel animals (little dogs). I didn't really take any pictures of the room because it looked exactly like the pictures posted on this thread. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abie
I made a seperate post but I'll copy it here. I'll have pics in a couple of days after we sort through them all....

Me, DH, and DS11 just got back from 5 nights in the All Star Music Suites.

We were in 2436 in the Jazz building. The room was on one of the rows that shoot straight back toward the parking lot about 3/4 of the way down on the first floor. Basically you make a right at the drum set and head straight back.

The location was very quiet. I don't think we heard a single person the whole week. It was not far away from the pool or main area.

The room was perfect for us. DS slept in the living room area and DH and I slept in the bedroom.

DS had a lot of fun trying all the different beds in the living area. He proclaimed that the couch bed was great for at night but the chair bed was best for naps. He didn't like the footstool bed but said it would be good for a smaller kid.

The only complaint I have about the room is that the bathroom for the master bedroom area is on the other side of the kitchen. It would have been nicer for me if it was within the master bedroom area, or if there was a door to the kitchen area that could be closed. I had to be careful not to wake DS going to the bathroom at night, and no walking around nekkid between the bedroom and bathroom.

Mouskeeping did a great job all week. The resort was clean, everyone was very friendly.

We only used the food court for snacks but I did see people eating burgers and pizzas. They seemed to be enjoying them.

The bus service was excellent! I could not believe how easy it was. I was very concerned about this when I went but the longest wait we had for an all stars bus was 10 minutes. One night we left MK after wishes. There were a ton of people and I was worried we would have a long wait. Within 10 minutes 3 busses stopped. We were on the third bus and the line was empty after that.

Sharing with Sports was soooo not a big deal. It's right next door and added about 2 minutes to our trips on the way back. On the way to the parks we never had to get into a crowded bus, even though they had stopped at sports first.

We took a cab to Boma and hopped on the AK bus to Magic Kingdom. We did wait about 15-20 minutes there.

Having the extra space, a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, 2 tvs, these things made the trip so much nicer than being crammed in one room with 2 double beds. I would choose this over a moderate or delux if it's the 3 of us going again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abie
Couple of other tidbits.

The Bed - i think it is a queen. It seemed bigger than the sofa bed in the living room that was a double. I didn't measure it but both me and DHs assessment was it was bigger.

Coffee Maker - The coffee Maker takes 4 inch basket filters. We took the cones instead and they worked fine. We didn't take enough, but we reused them (for 2 pots in the same morning) We checked the gift shop and they do not sell filters, so don't forget to take them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybees02
The room was wonderful. We were on the 3rd floor of Jazz 2. Not too terribly far from the food court or bus stops, in my opinion, and smack dab between both pools. We had plenty of room, and the beds were all comfortable. Believe me, I slept in them all, with all the bed changing and sleepwalking my DS and DD were doing. We had great mousekeeping, with towel animals or a window display every single day but one! Everyone was helpful and nice. The pool was never terribly crowded. The food court was crowded if we were there at 9:00 a.m. which we only did once. Bus service was great - we never waited very long and the buses were never too crowded except on the EMH morning at MK that we braved. We never heard noises from other guests. All in all it was a wonderful stay. I will be posting restaurant and dining plan info and reviews, too, in a few days, after I do laundry!
You can find this info on the Family suites FAQ thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....9&page=1&pp=15
Old 02-24-2007, 07:35 PM   #282
coastermom
Proud Redhead

Thanks we went with the ASM Suites over the POR. After much thought and realizing that we are never in the room and hardley ever in the pool we are better off with the suite over the POR and BC. The rooms seem to be better because they are sepereate from us the kids , there are 2 bathrooms and a kitchen which is really useful in the morning . Thanks for everyones input and I will post upon our return.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #283
paper1225
DIS Veteran

coastermom-that is the same as us-we have stayed at POR twice and really wanted more options without having to pay too much. The fold outs were really good sized-and would def. fit your ages-the couch fold out would fit two adults, it is that large! You will love the space!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:17 AM   #284
coastermom
Proud Redhead

I am now very excited to go . I just hope that they sleep well. It will be a blessing for us to have TWO bathrooms . Teen and pre-teen girls and their HAIR AHHH . Looking forward to posting a review after our trip but it seems so FAR away from now . End of july early Aug. Can't wait!!
Old 02-25-2007, 02:07 PM   #285
princess sparkle p
DIS Veteran
Whoops, sorry. Got your tag a little wet while I was drooling on it.

We stayed in the suites Dec 1-10. LOVED THEM!!!!! We will stay there again when we go back. It was just DH and I, we dont have children yet. My 2 DBIL's also joined us for 4 days. It was soooo nice to have the extra space and the seperate bedroom. My favorite was the 2 seperate bathrooms!!! We travel with DBIL's often and sharing a room can be cramped, and well not too much fun. It was also great to have the fridge as we always take a case of water with us.

Any questions please feel free to ask!!!
princess sparkle p is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: