Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #16
Tony-NJ
Ready for Spring!!!
Needs at least 8 hours
Loves weeping willows

Quote:
While you can make your pole if you wish, there is a 95% chance that will turn into 3 religious anti-GLTB people fighting 3 other pro-gay rights people for about 15 pages. Again, I have never been, that is just what I have seen.
Very true.
Tony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #17
wallyb
Love My Stella-rella!
Crocs are Crack for Feet!
On ‘the list’ so treading carefully

No, I'm not looking to start a "hate session".
I thought it might create some understanding of the
perceptions of seemingly divergent groups.

Sorry I did not realize a poll had been attempted already.
wallyb is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #18
Aurora3
Earning My Ears

I haven't read Pete's post but I have taken a five year old to Gay Days (my daughter). We had a great time. Definitely people had their arms around each other casually in line and were holding hands but not kissing. The most risque thing I saw all day were seven guys dressed up as the dwarfs with funny names printed on their t-shirts and one was "Gropey". One guy was dressed in "bride's" Mickey ears and pumps (which are just laughable when anyone wears them to WDW). One little girl commented on this and the mother replied, "Everyone likes to dress up as a princess don't they?" The other great comment was from a very hot and tired mother trying to get into the Liberty Tree Tavern without priority seating, whose son asked, "Why is everyone wearing red?" and she responded (knowing the why but not wanting to discuss it because she was busy), "It must be red day and we didn't get the notice under our door. Maybe it will be blue day tomorrow and we can dress for it".
The only negative comment I overhead was at Ariel's grotto and a straight guy who was getting wet said something like, "Well now I'll have a reason to change out of this red shirt." All in all it was a good day. We left in the afternoon for naptime then returned at 7 or so. The park was really emptying out as people left for Pleasure Island. That worked out great for us!
For my kid it was a great experience because she got to see lots of same sex couples and gay families in one place. Somethings she doesn't see enough of in our hometown.
Aurora3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #19
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

This also is one of the few times I respectfully disagree with Pete. I did not attend in the early years of the event, so it may have been wilder and Pete may have seen things. But I have attended, with my (now) 81 yo Mom, for the last several years, and neither of us have seen anything inapproriate in the parks at all. Just hand holding and light kissing. I do not attend the private ticketed events...but they aren't open to the "general public" anyway.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:41 PM   #20
majortom
Mouseketeer

Location: Winter Garden, FL, Venice, CA, San Francisco, CA, Skokie, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora3
The most risque thing I saw all day were seven guys dressed up as the dwarfs with funny names printed on their t-shirts and one was "Gropey". One guy was dressed in "bride's" Mickey ears and pumps (which are just laughable when anyone wears them to WDW).
A friend of mine spends much of the day recording the funniest shirts. I will have to see if he has any of the recent ones still around.

Quote:
The only negative comment I overhead was at Ariel's grotto and a straight guy who was getting wet said something like, "Well now I'll have a reason to change out of this red shirt."
Even that does not sound that negative. I can easily see feeling a bit weird as a straight guy wearing a red shirt without realizing it. :-)

/carmi
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #21
WebmasterPete
Grand Administrator
The Big Dipple
Easily confuses bathrooms and attics
I survived Hurricane Frances...send more ice cream!

DISboards Administrator

Actually, I attended the year before last (and vowed it would be my last time), and last year, I was at the host hotel for another event. If the hotel was blocked to all but gay days participants, there were some in that hotel last year that missed the memo. I saw several families that were clearly not part of the 'festivities', one of whom was at the front desk demanding they be moved to another hotel.

Whatever I wrote or mentioned in the article, I witnessed myself. My personal opinion is this: If you need to make a spectacle of being gay in the Magic Kingdom, you have other issues. A gay pride parade is one thing, gay pride itself is one thing, but there is room for pride and respect to co-exist, and I'm sorry, but I don't see much evidence of that thinking in gay days. For any of us to look at only our side of this issue is narrow minded. This is NOT the same thing as a gay pride parade down 5th avenue in New York ( a parade that I marched in for many years). As a matter of fact this event, in my opinion, has nothing to do with Gay Pride.

This all begs the question, why Disney? Why not Universal - a resort that has positioned itself as a more adult-oriented destination? Universal pushes the boundaries of theme park entertainment regularly (anyone been to Haloween Horror Nights?) Why? It's not quite as shocking - it's not quite as 'in your face' as having the event at Disney, and that's where they lose my support.

In the coming weeks we will be giving equal time on the site to a representative from GayDays.com, something I honestly should have done last year in an effort to be more fair. I'll be sure to let everyone know when that interview goes up.

Pete
WebmasterPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
SeattleRedBear
Mouseketeer
An old floorboard creeks, but the frog was in the crick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterPete
In the coming weeks we will be giving equal time on the site to a representative from GayDays.com, something I honestly should have done last year in an effort to be more fair. I'll be sure to let everyone know when that interview goes up.Pete
Pete -- Thanks much for your message and for providing an opportunity for a gaydays representative to provide information. I haven't been to either event (WDW or DL so I know, I shouldn't be talking) but from my understanding the DL event is more low-key and not as 'in your face' as you've experienced. You might consider heading to California in October if you're still interested in attending a gay disney event.

It's a shame that so often the media chooses the most extreme images of a community to present. You could have a 100-unit pride parade with only one float with drag queens on it, but guess which float they'll show on the local news?!

(Edited to add: And I'm not dissing drag queens! I love drag queens! Some of my best friends....uh, never mind! My only point is that the media reinforces existing stereotypes of most minorities. BTW, has anyone seen Carlos Mencia? I think he's absolutely hysterical and pretty much spot on, only occasionally going to far).
Disneyland Paris: 1999, 2001

Dreaming for Tokyo and Hong Kong....

Last edited by SeattleRedBear; 04-04-2006 at 04:11 PM.
SeattleRedBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: