Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2006, 11:52 PM   #1
gadg8man
Earning My Ears

How much do you tip?

What is the usual tip amount for room service etc?
gadg8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 12:06 AM   #2
momrek06
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OPShell Smuggler!
BEE FRAGMENTS??? I do NOT eat bees!!

There will be a "required" amount given to each party that sails(DCL sets that amount) and IMO, the tips required are remarkably SMALL. I feel the service I got was FABULOUS.
I gave all my servers extra tips.

If I had room service come to my cabin I always gave $2.-$3.pp. I asked for blankets, pillows, and food.

Bring $1.00 BILLS with you on your trip. So easy that way when tipping your servers.

I hope this helps.

KAR

momrek06 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #3
Moonbeams
If I ever win the lottery, I am moving aboard the DCL permanently!

Location: Addison, TX (DFW) but still a Northern CA girl at heart!!

Tipping and your room

DCL will provide a "suggested" amount when they distribute the envelopes the night before your cruise is over, and that is a "fair" amount to leave for your cabin steward if you want standard service.

However, having traveled a good deal in our work and in our play, we've found this to be a good line of thinking - grease the wheels.

When we go on the DCL, there are only two adults in our room and we really don't make much of a mess. If we had kids, we'd tip even more. Once we determine who our steward will be for our stay (it's often the same person every day), we usually give the person a $20 on the first evening and say "Thanks for all the excellent service while we are here in your room!"

Disney is known for good service and you will get great service for your room as a norm, but when you factor in the gesture of good human nature and the grease, things go up a notch. Little special things can often be found in your room during your stay. And, the best of all for us, the room service seems to be hotter, faster, and better. Hmm. Nothing like getting WARM chocolate chip cookies to your door ASAP at 2 AM!

Then, at the end of the trip, when things have been extrordinary, we leave a nice parting amount in the envelope. It is always more than the suggestion.

Hope that helps. Have a lovely cruise!

PS When we order room service, if someone else shows up, we give them a couple of bucks or so, depending on the size of the order. Greasing the bartenders is a GOOD idea too if you like some alcohol with your mix.

Trick or Treating from Coast to Coast!
Disneyland - October 10, 2008
WDW - October 16, 2008

Last edited by Moonbeams; 03-26-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Moonbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:43 AM   #4
captaincrash
!!!Surrender over yer LOOT!!!!
Takes 1,647,924 cruise pictures per day

We tip the recommended amount about 90% of the time.

And about 7% of the time we add something for excellent service and .... frankly about 1 in 33 occasions we have reduced grats for bad service. We understand these folks rely on grats for their wages AND that the grats measure whether they will continue on the line - moving up or down in preference for good assignments.and so on. That is like reducing one person's grats in 8 sailings.

captaincrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
Enna
This space for rent.
So where's this chocolate you promised the Tag Fairy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincrash
We understand these folks rely on grats for their wages AND that the grats measure whether they will continue on the line - moving up or down in preference for good assignments.and so on.

Can you clarify that? How can the gratuities influence their placement for assignments?

On our last trip we gave our stateroom attendant an extra cash tip mid-trip in appreciation of an extra effort on her part. Would I have been better off adding that amount in the envelope at the end? Or, do the tips needs to be on accounts (and therefore more readily tracked to the person) to influence future job placement?

I was under the impression that the guest comment card was what influenced the performance reviews & placements.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #6
Enna
This space for rent.
So where's this chocolate you promised the Tag Fairy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadg8man
What is the usual tip amount for room service etc?

For room service we did the $1-2 per item that had been recommended on the boards. We just had an envelope in the safe by the door with a few $5 and a stack of $1s in it, and pulled out what we needed.

We used the published DCL gratuity guidelines as a starting point for tipped positions, and adjusted accordingly.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
HappyLawyer
DIS Veteran/ OLCC Owner who's Mouse'n Down The House

i tip the standard, i pre pay my tips, then if more is needed based on the service given i will just slip some cash in there, i want to know about the kids club workers, can they be tipped? If so with what, i heard once some people are not allowed to accept cash tips is this true
December 2008 @ Orange Lake Country Club & Resort-It will be great!! Destinations include: MK, MGM , AK, Bush Gardens, Sea World, U S, IOA, Makahiki Luau, Sleuths Murder Mystery Dinner, Olde Town, Malls, Walmart, Orange Blossom Hot Air Balloon Ride.

2006 Disney Cruise, Orange Lake CC & Resort, Summer Bay Holiday Inn, Extended Stay Deluxe, Residance Inn, & Raddison Celebration
2004 Days Inn Suites OT, & Summer Bay Offsite
2001 Tree House Villas Onsite @ Disney Inst.
HappyLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #8
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

''was under the impression that the guest comment card was what influenced the performance reviews & placements''

We have travelled in Cat 4 a number of times, last trip our servers said they had worked very hard to get to that level, basically from commment cards, that influenced the placements. The lower the Cat number, (higher cost) the better the tip is likley to be, so they all work hard for that.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #9
mamaof2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLawyer
i tip the standard, i pre pay my tips, then if more is needed based on the service given i will just slip some cash in there, i want to know about the kids club workers, can they be tipped? If so with what, i heard once some people are not allowed to accept cash tips is this true
HappyLawyer, it's mamaof2 again, you have helpe me in the past with this same topic... I just have 1 question--How do you prepay the tips?
My 1st cruise ever is coming up soon. I would also like to have things like tips prepayed--
thanks in advance...

9/06: Land/Sea DCL and Coronado Springs
5/07: Coronado Springs
9/08: CBR
8/09: POR
mamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Some people give out phone cards to favorite staff. I've also read about others giving things like Bath and Body Works products. We gave out bags of M&Ms. I guess the list is endless. It's nice to spread a little magic of our own sometimes.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2
HappyLawyer, it's mamaof2 again, you have helpe me in the past with this same topic... I just have 1 question--How do you prepay the tips?
My 1st cruise ever is coming up soon. I would also like to have things like tips prepayed--
thanks in advance...

Most peopole mean by prepaying their tips, that they went down to Guest Service once onboard and put the tip amount on their onboard account. Guest Service then gives you vouchers for each of the tipped positions with the amount you tipped (also has your name on it). You place those vouchers in the tip envelopes provided near at the end of the cruise and hand them out. You can also tip cash in the envelopes at the end of the cruise. By prepaying your tips it just means that you have gone to guest service and paid them before the end of the cruise. Just don't wait until the last night to do it as guest service is mobbed that night.

In 15 cruises we usally just tip in cash at the end of the week but have used the vouchers one or twice...doesn't not really make a difference which way you do it.

Now, if you wanted to have the tip amount totally prepaid before you even left home, you would have to call DCL and apply a credit to your onboard account with a credit card. When you got onboard you would tell Guest Service that the credit amount is to be used for your tips and they will issue you vouchers for each of the tipped positions.
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
HappyLawyer
DIS Veteran/ OLCC Owner who's Mouse'n Down The House

sent a pm but for anyone else who is interested in prepaying your tips, call dcl or your travel agent tell them you want to pre pay your tips they will add it onto your reservation and include it in the total.

Have fun.
December 2008 @ Orange Lake Country Club & Resort-It will be great!! Destinations include: MK, MGM , AK, Bush Gardens, Sea World, U S, IOA, Makahiki Luau, Sleuths Murder Mystery Dinner, Olde Town, Malls, Walmart, Orange Blossom Hot Air Balloon Ride.

2006 Disney Cruise, Orange Lake CC & Resort, Summer Bay Holiday Inn, Extended Stay Deluxe, Residance Inn, & Raddison Celebration
2004 Days Inn Suites OT, & Summer Bay Offsite
2001 Tree House Villas Onsite @ Disney Inst.
HappyLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:51 AM   #13
Andrew DEREK UK
DIS Veteran

If booked through a UK operator usuallay the TIPs are prepaid as part of the package.
Andrew DEREK UK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: