Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
rcpae
DIS Veteran

OT...Uhgg our Delonghi space heater kind of exploded!!

We have a florida room and we have (had) a plug in space heater. It kind of looks like coils, cool to the touch kind of thing. Well I plugged it in the other night while my Dh was watching tv. He heard a loud pop and smoke began coming out of it. Unfortunately for us it wasn't just smoke but also a fine mist of some type of oil!! After losing the pressure from this the oil began pouring from the bottom of the heater.

Lets just say one of the paneled walls is ruined. The television cabinet has discolored oil marks on the inside door and a glazed look to the outside doors. Thank goodness my DH was quick enough to pull back the large area rug and drag the heater out the back door as quick as he could. The oil poured all over the tile floor. This floor was in poor shape anyway, but didn't need replaced right away because the area rug was covering the "bad spot". Now the grout has a constant "wet look" on the spots the oil touched after numerous cleanings. The tv cabinet is my most sad issue. This was given to me by my sister and dear Bil. It was my bil grandmothers. The cabinet had been refinished by my sister.

I called Delonghi today. I wanted to report this as a potential fire hazard and to see if there was some type of recall. The customer service lady heard this and gave me an address to submit pictures and estimates. I did not expect that at all. Really.

Should I submit an estimate for a floor that wasn't in great shape anyway? A television cabinet that was older?

Just wondering.

Now we want to plan another!!
rcpae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
kmp1191
Dorfus Chickendoodle at your service!
Ok....everyone in the room that KNOWS HOW TO PUT THE TOILET PAPER ON THE ROLL, raise you hand!!

A floor that wasn't in great shape and an older t.v. cabinet still needs to be replace/refinished. I would definately submit an estimate. It would be cheaper for them to fix what *their* heater destroyed than to replace an entire house, or worse...

that's just my opinion.

good luck!
kmp1191 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
BelleBeautyandtheBeast
Disney Dreamer
Tags as old as time
You will be tagged, as sure as the sun will rise!

How scary. We also have an oil filled Delonghi space heater. I would freak out if that happened here.

Thank goodness your DH was close by and able to toss it outside quickly.

Definately send in an estimate, old or new it needs replaced.
7/82 MK * 4/00 MK * 1/7-10/01 ASMo * 3/29-4/1/01 POR * 7/20-25/04 PC * 1/12-15/07 PC * 10/11-16/09 PC * 10/2-5/10 Offsite * 8/13-21/11 ASMu * 3/24-31/13 Offsite * 5/5-10/13 Offsite * 3/4-7/14 ASSp * 6/10-6/16/14 Disneyland * 8/22-25/14 PC * 3/22-29/15 RCCL Freedom of the Seas * 3/29-30/15 USO
BelleBeautyandtheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Stein
DIS Veteran

Also check to see if it was UL Listed (a circle with the UL letters in it). If so, be sure to let them know about the malfunction and fire hazard.
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #5
rcpae
DIS Veteran

I just checked it is UL listed. I also contacted a friend who works for a tile company. He just stopped by to take a look and will drop off an estimate tomorrow. I have my doubts about whether they will pay to replace a 20' by 13' room when only a 5' by 5' area is ruined?? Oh well...they asked for the estimate.

Now we want to plan another!!
rcpae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

Send pictures and estimates of everything that was damaged. Also, get an estimate for having your TV cabinet refinished and include a note telling DeLonghi that you want to have the cabinet refinished rather than replaced since it is a family heirloom. Also, take pictures of the damaged heater, and do not get rid of the heater until you and DeLonghi have reached a settlement, because they may want you to send the damaged heater to them (if they want that, make sure to have them send you a call tag to have the shipping company pick it up at their expense). Keep copies for your records of everything that you mail to DeLonghi also. Just as an FYI - Customer Service for DeLonghi is handled by a call center (I used to work for that call center), but I believe that claims are handled directly by DeLonghi
Shagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
welovedis
My body is under new management!!

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your belongings but really glad no one was injured, it sounds like it had the potential to be a lot worse.

Hope the company comes thru for ya, good luck!
7/03 Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
1/04 Disney's BoardWalk Villas
1/06 Disney's BoardWalk Villas
6/06 Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort
9/06 Disney's Grand Floridian Resort
12/06 Disney's Beach Club Villas
welovedis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
ohiominnie
It's interesting when you google yourself
I'd rather be at WDW
Spent all day at an amusement park yesterday
My DH gets kitty litter kidney stones

rcpae,

Do you know the model number of your unit and where/when you bought it. We have one from Sam's Club in our sunroom. Now I'm worried about it!

Btw, I was out your way today....spent the afternoon at Toyota service with Mike's truck....recall stuff......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: